Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jummy posted:

My aunt took steroids after getting a transplant, she immediately started jacking 450 feet homers. It was insane.

Your aunt can't hit the curve ball for poo poo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

he's pitched for 2/3 of an inning and allowed three runners (all of whom scored, which is why his ERA is what it is)

Yeah - it's really just SSS, but drat.

A ground out his first game back, and then got lit the Hell up last night.

Even if all the injured M's get back, their pitching is suspect as Hell and the bullpen is a mess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

He sucked for us after we got him from NYY and I suspect that he is nearly done.

He's got arthritic knees, I'm amazed he's played as long as he has.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Mike Fiers and Joe Musgrove a little. Is Keuchel's return to form sustainable?

They are clearly the class of MLB right now though, them or the Nats (whose bullpen is a huge issue right now)

If Keuchel stays healthy I see no reason why he can't repeat a 2015-like line. He's back to doing what he did then.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

He sucked for us after we got him from NYY and I suspect that he is nearly done.

If the Astros continue to own everybody and make it to the post-season, they'd better win it all because Beltran deserves a dang ring.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Appalled that there are hundreds of new posts and all of them are not about leurys garcia getting bonked on his noggin by a walkoff single.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

If Keuchel stays healthy I see no reason why he can't repeat a 2015-like line. He's back to doing what he did then.

Why isn't Arrieta pitching like he did in 2015 then? :argh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Because he's not back to doing what he did back then, duh.

Sorry these stats are too advanced for you. :v:

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Your aunt can't hit the curve ball for poo poo though

Well yeah, she's dead.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Jummy posted:

Well yeah, she's dead.

Cross her off the list, then.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Stephen A. Smith shamed him into dropping the PED's early last season and it's all been downhill for him since.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Melky Cabrera went from batting .255 to .345.:colbert:

You skipped a season. He hit .305 for KC in between. It's not that unusual for players to grow into better hitters as their careers progress, especially if they land on a new team with a different hitting instructor.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

Appalled that there are hundreds of new posts and all of them are not about leurys garcia getting bonked on his noggin by a walkoff single.

I've been laughing at it all day

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tony Phillips posted:

Fear not! Steve Cishek is back!

Goddammit, put a trigger warning on poo poo like this.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
29-13 :getin:

Didn't realize it was a day game earlier

Keuchel has been great but I'm concerned by him having such a huge number of balls out of the zone swung at. If hitters start waiting him out it might get messy

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Oh my gawd this is amazing. I'd also like to thank it for being a thing that reminded me of Jose Canseco's header home-run.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Oh my gawd this is amazing. I'd also like to thank it for being a thing that reminded me of Jose Canseco's header home-run.

The game was over even if he caught it, but drat.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1397217283/cws-laa-pujols-wins-it-with-walk-off-single

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holy hell, what a terrible call of that play. Not a single reference to the ball bouncing off the dude's dome.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

29-13 :getin:

Didn't realize it was a day game earlier

Keuchel has been great but I'm concerned by him having such a huge number of balls out of the zone swung at. If hitters start waiting him out it might get messy

I thought this was a big part of his down 2016 but that's probably a gross oversimplification.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wait did they...not score than at error?!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, this is what "home cooking" is for. A meaningless walkoff single call that otherwise might have robbed you of a sac fly RBI.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

For an outfielder to get an error they pretty much need to catch and drop it. Anything else that requires a modicum of effort and it won't get called an error.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 17, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

For an outfielder to get the ball you pretty much need to catch and drop it. Anything else that requires a modicum of effort and it won't get called an error.

Which is why Poque's $10 charity donation for every Schwarber error isn't working out very well. :smith:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Which is why Poque's $10 charity donation for every Schwarber error isn't working out very well. :smith:

it is for me.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Come to think of it...

If he catches it, the runner tags and scores from third. Game over, sac fly for Albert.

If it was scored an error - game over but Pujols gets dinged for it.

Seems odd that he would get screwed out of a tiny bit of batting average like that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Seems odd that he would get screwed out of a tiny bit of batting average like that.

And an RBI

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This all circles back to my complaint about Errors in the first place, they usually punish someone incorrectly. If that had been scored an error it would have taken away a game winning hit/sac from Pujols on what was a well hit ball.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Being made to look like a fool is enough for me. Good job scorekeeper.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

This all circles back to my complaint about Errors in the first place, they usually punish someone incorrectly. If that had been scored an error it would have taken away a game winning hit/sac from Pujols on what was a well hit ball.

I'm shocked he even went for the ball, typically on a ball hit that deep that'll bring the run in anyway you see the outfielders just start jogging in

e: Oh my, I thought the Astros were 29-13 but they're actually 29-12. Better still!

14-3 in their last 17 and they actually have a better road record than home, unlike 2015 where their road woes severely hosed them

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 17, 2017

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Hey folks, I'm going to Toronto next month and I'm looking at tickets, I see there's a $100 seat at field level down the far right-field line. Is that a good deal for that kind of seat? I've never sat at field-level before but I want to do it at some point. There's also $35 outfield seats in like the second row which seem very good.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/864941345592324096

Kershaw is the anti-MadBum

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's boring. We need some more Billy Martin style "Let's get em boys!" while hefting a baseball bat

Also 'them' being the fans in that case but you know what I mean

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Hey folks, I'm going to Toronto next month and I'm looking at tickets, I see there's a $100 seat at field level down the far right-field line. Is that a good deal for that kind of seat? I've never sat at field-level before but I want to do it at some point. There's also $35 outfield seats in like the second row which seem very good.

I really like the baseline seats at the Skydome Rogers Centre. The right field side is on the south-east so you will be in direct sunlight for an afternoon game. If you like that, great, if not, try for third baseline which gets some shade later in the afternoon. Also third baseline is the Jays dugout, first base is the filthy visitors which maybe is good if you like to heckle.

The second row outfield seats are pretty decent too but you won't have as good a view of the pitching or of plays on the bases. there are also better food choices near the infield seats.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Has there been any talk/analysis into while teams are throwing fastballs way less than in years past? As average fastball velocity is at an all time high, the % of fastballs thrown is at an all time low.

The Yankees have the fastest average fastball velocity in MLB and throw it the least often.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I'm actually going to an evening game (7:05 start) and I'm going to be a fan of the filthy visitors (White Sox) so I'm thinking I'm going to go for it. Here's hoping I get a ball or at least on TV.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Good Dog posted:

Has there been any talk/analysis into while teams are throwing fastballs way less than in years past? As average fastball velocity is at an all time high, the % of fastballs thrown is at an all time low.

The Yankees have the fastest average fastball velocity in MLB and throw it the least often.

Is it possibly related to home run totals spiking? Supplying the power and all that.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

you and your lovely weather, Minneapolis.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

John Wilkes Booth posted:

The Jays are not good, and so everyone that bought tickets with the intent of selling half of them at a big profit is selling them for whatever they can get on stubhub day of. You can get great seats day of for like 30 bucks canadian, you just can't purchase anything on stubhub 2 hours or less before game time. I've sat 20 rows up from home for 20 big ones this year which used to be the norm for midweek games.

As for those specific seats, the further towards the foul pole you get, the more your body is going to hate you since the seats are not pointed towards home plate since the stadium used to be dual use, so you constantly have to sit at an angle or your head turned which can feel not good after a few hours. Outfield seats are fine provided they are near the front. If you sit near the back of those sections you can't see fly balls properly.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone have the hawk call of the garcia bonk

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I fully intend on seeing another game while I'm in the city, and I was planning on buying the other ticket day of. I just didn't know if I was going to see a Saturday or Sunday game on top of the Friday that I'm already attending. I will definitely wake up early on those days and check the prices on StubHub/SeatGeek/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/ChrisMuellerPGH/status/864827212385710080
Its really depressing seeing McCutchen degrade so rapidly as a player :smith:

• Locked thread