Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

cursedshitbox posted:

before or after?

regardless I bet it's a pain in the rear end.

You think it was bad for him? His doctor had a real butthole case he had to take care of that day. No fun for anyone involved. My guess is the dude engraved the name Lemmiwinks on the spinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Guess I'm not meant to have ac. Woke up to a warm apartment. Breaker was tripped.

Reset breaker, commence pants making GBS threads when the blueish-green magic pixies came out to say hi. :stare:

So last fall, they swapped out the 20 amp breaker for a 30 amp... because it kept tripping. Still on the same 12 gauge wiring. Was, anyway, it did some self clearancing. Thankfully it was in conduit. Contactor was also welded closed. New wire pulled, new contactor. Breaker trips as soon as the ac is turned on now, instead of immediately.

... they're blaming the Nest for "pulling too much juice". Wait, what? :laffo:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lol I bet the compressor is shorted, and lol that your maintenance people blame the low voltage thermostat for tripping the over current protection. Jfc.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Unit built for a 20 amp circuit is tripping a 30 amp breaker.

Clearly this means the thermostat is using over 120 watts of power.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Silly STR, why'd you run the mains through your Nest?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

Lol I bet the compressor is shorted, and lol that your maintenance people blame the low voltage thermostat for tripping the over current protection. Jfc.

Exactly.

So far they've shotgunned the following:

New 24v transformer
New relays and heat detectors in the furnace
New start and run caps outside (5th time they've been replaced since I moved in last year... 2nd time this year)
New contactor outside
Pulled new wire from the breaker panel to the outside disconnect
Pulled new wire from the disconnect to the ac

I threw the old thermostat back up to appease him.

They brought me a window unit to keep the bedroom cool overnight, and I already owned a portable (which has the exhaust hooked up to the dryer duct right now). He's bringing a new furnace tomorrow morning. I should have made a bet with him about that not fixing anything. :downsgun: I would have preferred they put me in a hotel since it's about 90 degrees inside, but that's not happening.

To be fair though.. he showed me the old parts. Caps were bulging (again.. this is the 5th time they've been replaced in the past year). Contactor was welded. The safeties in the furnace looked like they'd been sitting at the bottom of a lake. Drain was clogged. Coils were clogged to poo poo (funny, they "cleaned the inside coils" a few weeks ago at my request). So new parts needed to be shotgunned at it. But he's ignoring the fact that there's no way the furnace could be tripping the breaker for the condenser.

e: just tried turning on the fan by itself to at least get some air moving. Nothing. Put my multimeter on the thermostat.. no power, even though the breaker for the heater is on. So he broke it even more. :haw:

Enourmo posted:

Unit built for a 20 amp circuit is tripping a 30 amp breaker.

Clearly this means the thermostat is using over 120 watts of power.

120v x 20 = 2400 watts

But wait, there's more! It's a double pole breaker... 240v x 20 = 4800 watts. And since they had swapped it for a 30 amp.. 7200 watts. Through 12 gauge wire.

Also uh... the data plate on the ac does specify that it should be on a 30 amp circuit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 17, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FREE T CRUISER IS BEING PREPPED FOR DELIVERY

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Rhyno posted:

It takes a while to charge the canister in those nitrogen car launcher cannons.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Uh... that's definitely an interesting failure. Can't say I've seen a compressor do this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsM_eC02glo

Looks like the clutch came apart a bit? The clutch is very much off center now, and not engaging or fully disengaging.

Yes, it happened to a 1988 Corolla I had. In the middle of the Australian summer.

Thankfully came across a great air con place that were able to fix it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

So they torched it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So they torched it?

That's the only "prep" I can think of for that car...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I set it on fire I can freely post in the hot hatch thread.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So last fall, they swapped out the 20 amp breaker for a 30 amp... because it kept tripping. Still on the same 12 gauge wiring. Was, anyway, it did some self clearancing. Thankfully it was in conduit. Contactor was also welded closed. New wire pulled, new contactor. Breaker trips as soon as the ac is turned on now, instead of immediately.

Lol. Maintenance people are worthless. Especially apartment people. Like, how do people so inept get jobs doing this stuff?

I might just be extra salty though because guess who has to go clean up after these chucklefucks. :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

120v x 20 = 2400 watts

But wait, there's more! It's a double pole breaker... 240v x 20 = 4800 watts. And since they had swapped it for a 30 amp.. 7200 watts. Through 12 gauge wire.

Also uh... the data plate on the ac does specify that it should be on a 30 amp circuit.

I was thinking of the "overcurrent" over 20, but yeah I left a zero off lol.

Even if the a/c runs at ~ 25 amps normally (assuming the 30 amp breaker spec is right), that's still 5 amps minimum the Nest has to draw to trip it. 5*120=600, so over half a kilowatt that they're blaming on the thermostat.

Incompetent fucks.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I lived in complexes with good maintenance. Last time the AC broke in an apartment I was renting the tech came out within 30 minutes to fix it. He wound up just having to change the cap and managed to electrocute himself while doing so. But the AC was nice and cold!

I think though, and I'm sure explodingsims will correct me, but a 30 amp breaker usually indicates a 3t compressor. So it should be pulling less than 20a while running, more at start, and 70-80 fully locked which is what it's pulling if it's tripping breakers and melting contactors. All of this should be on the data plate and it's also pretty easy to check with a meter. Your maintenance guy probably lacks the license to handle refrigerant if he's changing everything else first.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah there's no way a dinky residential unit like that is going to be pulling anywhere close to 30A while running. It'd probably be somewhere around 11-15A or lower. You can look on the sticker on the compressor (assuming it hasn't been bleached by the sun :v:) and it'll tell you the running amps and the lock rotor amps. But it sounds like that compressor was on it's way out anyways, if they had two caps in there that means one was a hard start kit, so this had been a long time coming.

Usually the issue you see with AC units and breakers is with the AHU, when people slap the biggest electric heaters that'll fit in the unit without considering the amp draw those things have.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Exactly.

So far they've shotgunned the following:

New 24v transformer
New relays and heat detectors in the furnace
New start and run caps outside (5th time they've been replaced since I moved in last year... 2nd time this year)
New contactor outside
Pulled new wire from the breaker panel to the outside disconnect
Pulled new wire from the disconnect to the ac

I threw the old thermostat back up to appease him.

They brought me a window unit to keep the bedroom cool overnight, and I already owned a portable (which has the exhaust hooked up to the dryer duct right now). He's bringing a new furnace tomorrow morning. I should have made a bet with him about that not fixing anything. :downsgun: I would have preferred they put me in a hotel since it's about 90 degrees inside, but that's not happening.

To be fair though.. he showed me the old parts. Caps were bulging (again.. this is the 5th time they've been replaced in the past year). Contactor was welded. The safeties in the furnace looked like they'd been sitting at the bottom of a lake. Drain was clogged. Coils were clogged to poo poo (funny, they "cleaned the inside coils" a few weeks ago at my request). So new parts needed to be shotgunned at it. But he's ignoring the fact that there's no way the furnace could be tripping the breaker for the condenser.

e: just tried turning on the fan by itself to at least get some air moving. Nothing. Put my multimeter on the thermostat.. no power, even though the breaker for the heater is on. So he broke it even more. :haw:

120v x 20 = 2400 watts

Your maintenance guy does not understand electricity or how AC units use it. I can't understand how people like this have a job, and I have to fight to find decent employment. Presumably it's a personality thing.

e: f, pretty well beaten.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, all of the start caps they've put on it have been hard start caps. :v: It's dead. It's so dead that every doctor walked out hours ago, but one nurse thinks there's a chance of revival. Except the nurse is giving CPR, hours after the doctors called it, and she's doing it completely wrong.

The lights have always dimmed pretty bad when the ac kicks on, with a pretty decent buzz from the breaker panel while they dimmed. The heater makes them dim a little, but nothing like the ac.

And yeah, the tag is pretty sun bleached, but I'm pretty sure it's an 11 SEER 2.5 ton unit (I was able to make out a model # on it awhile back). It's also pulled a shitload of power this month - electric bill was a couple of bucks shy of $100, for a 1 bedroom apartment. Every light I have in the place is either LCD or CFL (except for the bathroom light), and I don't leave anything on while I'm gone except for a desk lamp. I've gone so far as to kill the power to the water heater for a couple of days, and I didn't see much of a drop in usage (smart meter, so I'm able to log in to the power company's website and see usage data, with a 2 day delay). My electric bill over the winter was running about $30 (pretty sure that was almost all the water heater), and the bill before my current one was less than $50.

The air handler definitely needed some love, he showed me the crap he pulled out of it (I'm amazed it worked at all) - but at least I could turn the fan on to get some air moving before he touched it. It's completely dead now. It has power getting to it, but the new transformer isn't putting anything out. And now that maintenance has had their hands on it, it's been moved to the category of Not My loving Problem / I don't want any loving liability

Darchangel posted:

Your maintenance guy does not understand electricity or how AC units use it. I can't understand how people like this have a job, and I have to fight to find decent employment. Presumably it's a personality thing.

I don't think he really understands electricity in general. He shocked himself pretty good in front of me when he started pulling wires apart in the heater (he thought the 40 amp breaker was my main breaker... the main is 100 amps and outside). He caused a couple of light shows too, but thankfully those resulted in a breaker tripping before anything more serious happened.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 18, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

In other news, my recruiter called me today and told me that the company looking to possibly hire me no longer wanted to do the second interview.
they decided to just go ahead and hire me :D That's a load off my mind!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

About loving ti.. I mean, congrats!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice job dude.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Headlights are bodged together well enough that a 30 minute drive didn't pop em. Good e-loving nuff. Junkyard was a bust. Every 6 there had no headlights or they were smashed open. Got to the one in the back of the lot that arrived 2 days ago to find they had almosy brand loving new depo replacements! Except some gently caress had just ripped the wires for the lowbeams out of them and broken one of the lowbeam brackets in the process.

Otoh, I learned my new favorite thing. The allen head bolts some rear end in a top hat was using to hold the fresh unpainted bumper on were drilled straight through with nuts behind them with no way to access them. So I took a pair of tin snips from my bag to the bumper like a pair of scissors. So loving satisfying after so much friggin and farting changing headlights without damaging anything at work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tell me about garage door insulation kits. Am I wasting my time thinking I can move my exercise gear into the garage and get the temp to stay around 50 in the winter?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Congrats, man. Great news.

Rhyno - you're sick. But of you decide to start this god-awful PT Tour, come up to Lake county if you're still in Indiana.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

About loving ti.. I mean, congrats!

Thanks!

I hope it is!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yes it is, thanks. I haven't been out of work since 1992, and that for only a month. I'm on my third week now, and this time there's a house and family involved, so I was starting to get nervous.

e: it's not as much as Tata was paying me for the last 9 months, but it's more than Wipro was paying me before that. Fair enough - I won't be the sole admin of all the Macs in the company at this job, just normal desktop support (Windows and a few Macs.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 18, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Rhyno - you're sick. But of you decide to start this god-awful PT Tour, come up to Lake county if you're still in Indiana.

No you misunderstand

I'm gonna form a business entity and employ everyone in AI, insure the car under that and then hand it off to various AIers around the country. Like passing a baton but in this case, a lovely car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

No you misunderstand

I'm gonna form a business entity and employ everyone in AI, insure the car under that and then hand it off to various AIers around the country. Like passing a baton but in this case, a lovely car.

LLC, Inc, or Ltd?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So apparently the U.S. Government is much like STR's AC. Put together by idiots and melting down spectacularly tonight :stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

LLC, Inc, or Ltd?

Whichever is cheapest/free-est/can convince goons to pitch in for.

WTNSSMI llc

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I just noticed Chucklefuck Maint guy replaced the double pole ac breaker with two single pole breakers.

I know they'll trip, but that means someone in the future might turn one off, or turn off a neighboring breaker with one of the ac breakers, thinking the ac is dead, then go to town outside. :downsgun:

ExplodingSims posted:

So apparently the U.S. Government is much like STR's AC. Put together by idiots and melting down spectacularly tonight :stare:

Hey hey hey, don't insult the maintenance staff like that. They're just stupid, possibly suicidal, but not homicidal (well.. wait.. after seeing the 2 single pole breakers, maybe they are...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 18, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

But it sounds like that compressor was on it's way out anyways, if they had two caps in there that means one was a hard start kit, so this had been a long time coming.

Regarding ac hard start kits, I read an article a while back (unfortunately looks like it's now behind a paywall) about how hard start kits should really be standard even on new units. In short, according to the article, they measurably reduce the locked rotor amps, and get the motor up to speed more quickly, reducing wear.

I suppose you can guess at why they're not standard equipment from the factory. Increased initial cost and a longer compressor service life are both bad for sales.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ExplodingSims posted:

I keep on asking myself "surely it cant get worse"

And it does. Oh my it gets soooooo much worse.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Coles notes for non U.S. Residents who don't really know who's who in the American political landscape?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Coles notes for non U.S. Residents who don't really know who's who in the American political landscape?

Basically...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

Regarding ac hard start kits, I read an article a while back (unfortunately looks like it's now behind a paywall) about how hard start kits should really be standard even on new units. In short, according to the article, they measurably reduce the locked rotor amps, and get the motor up to speed more quickly, reducing wear.

I suppose you can guess at why they're not standard equipment from the factory. Increased initial cost and a longer compressor service life are both bad for sales.

I've read similar articles; the gist I got out of them was that they do help a compressor start faster if voltage sag is an issue (which it probably is here - 12 gauge wire powering a 2 to 2.5 ton unit, I'm on the 3rd floor, condensing unit is on the ground).

What's given them a black eye is people just keep throwing new hard start caps at something that's on its last legs, instead of actually fixing the issue before the compressor gets chooched. That's what I assume is going on here - they've replaced the caps 5 times since I've lived here, and almost as many contactors (the guy who came out today welded 2 brand new ones back to back, on top of the one that welded itself overnight; they replaced one last year). I've been here less than a year, and the outside unit isn't THAT old - there's several original GE units from 1983-1984 on the property, an absolute shitload of early 90s Tranes (salvaged from a sister property that got hit by a tornado, they kept the ones that only had cosmetic damage), some Goodmans, and now some new Paynes are starting to show up (half of my building has those, a decent amount has Tranes, then there's the 2 Goodmans - 16 unit building, but this one property alone has about 850 units).

Everywhere else I've lived, the ac needed attention once every few years (not counting preventive maintenance), not once every month or two. And every time they've touched it, they mentioned they added a hard start kit.

I'm not an expert, I know just enough to be dangerous; but if something keeps roasting caps, and it keeps tripping circuit breakers (even after you oversize the breaker :supaburn:), I'm gonna guess you're either installing the wrong caps, or the thing is 1 shuffle away from the grave. Someone who actually does this poo poo for a living would know a hell of a lot more (I'm looking at you, explodingsims), this is just random poo poo I've picked up from reading.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 18, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Bajaha posted:

In a nutshell:

Dep AG Rosenstein appointed a special prosecutor on his own authority without telling sessions or the white house

WaPo revealed recordings of Paul Ryan and McCarthy saying they thought Trump was a Russian plant, a full year ago

Turns out Flynn probably hosed over the Kurds and helped Isis because he was being paid by Turkey

And it turns out the Flynn thing was almost certainly known about by Trump and Pence.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Tell me about garage door insulation kits. Am I wasting my time thinking I can move my exercise gear into the garage and get the temp to stay around 50 in the winter?

depends.

If your walls don't have insulation then it won't do poo poo. It'll make a bit of difference if they are. Not the difference between -20 and 50 but it helps a noticeable bit.
On the plus side it also cuts down on noise. More than doubly so if you get a bunch of butyl sheets stuck all over the door first.

Is the door metal or wood?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

In a nutshell:

Dep AG Rosenstein appointed a special prosecutor on his own authority without telling sessions or the white house

WaPo revealed recordings of Paul Ryan and McCarthy saying they thought Trump was a Russian plant, a full year ago

Turns out Flynn probably hosed over the Kurds and helped Isis because he was being paid by Turkey

And it turns out the Flynn thing was almost certainly known about by Trump and Pence.

And Trump tried pressuring comey into dropping the investigation into flynn, tried getting comey to swear loyalty to him and then fired comey when he did none of the above. We still execute idiots for treason, right?

Oh, also flynn didn't disclose he was paid half a million by turkey. At least until AFTER this investigation started. You have to disclose within 10 days of accepting such a job. He waited nearly a year. He's gonna squeal like a piggy. :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Metal. I'm waiting to hear back on if the walls are insulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Flynn is drat near textbook treason (Aiding a comforting enemies, which ISIS certainly is). No wonder he was desperate for immunity.

Holy gently caress this has gone waaaaay beyond dumpster fire.

• Locked thread