Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Just adapt this speculative parkour game to be a miniseries rather than a movie and the length issues go away. Only the content and casting remain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ktvrxiii
Oct 14, 2012

bloom posted:

There's no way for Dragon Ball Z to happen as a Hollywood action movie. It's too long to be made as anything short of a big money trilogy, and too niche and bloody to become that. So the best you could hope for is a skilled adaptation of a portion of the story. For that Vegeta arc is your best bet, with Frieza maybe working if you cut out the Namek and other stuff that sets up future things.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Doing my every few years re-read of Berserk.

At the end of the battle with the Count when they cut to Gut's crying/getting choked up as he walks away from the Count's daughter, I'm curious what everyone's read on that was?

Was the uncaring tough guy act just a facade the whole time and he's finally cracking under the unrelenting horribleness of his situation, or was it something else I may have missed?

I know that Idea of Evil is not considered cannon, but I would be surprised if something similar to what the Idea represented isn't in the story again at some point. The notion that the big malevolent force at the heart of Berserk only exists because human beings needed a reason to explain their suffering is insanely cool to me.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Crabtree posted:

Because this has been a nightmare of mine for a long rear end time and I've never known if you should start like how the manga did and have a movie showing off Black Swordsman Guts killing Prostitute Apostle, Snake Baron and The Count to get people interested or save time and start from the Golden Age, I guess split it into three films and go from there.
The movies proved that you can do Golden Age and be confusing as all hell.

Nevertheless, I was thinking that the best place to start would be Guts trying to grab Casca, getting shot, and them falling in the river. That through the very end of the hundred man could be an entire two hours, with motivation handled through flashbacks. This is basically the primary development of motivation for Casca, and the establishment of Guts purpose for the next hundred chapters or more. Heck we just saw a flashback to campfire of dreams; hundred man is Guts turning point.

If they can't get hundred man correct, both the action and the very deep psychological issues, then there's no point attempting anything further.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The Golden Arc is dense with important character moments so I couldn't enjoy anything that doesn't handle it long form. The Black Swordsman Arc is simple but brings out the strengths of Berserk. A dark and borderline bad good guy that fighting against even worse bad guys with Puck as a small bit of light. I said before but its well conceived as a story. Movies today do action well so it is hard to sell Berserk on that alone. Gut's inner turmoil and struggle is what makes Berserk unique because he isn't looking for justice. Justice is impossible in Berserk, there is no way to right the wrongs committed by Griffith and by the world at large. Berserk and Guts is about finding peace in a horrible world.

threeagainstfour posted:

Was the uncaring tough guy act just a facade the whole time and he's finally cracking under the unrelenting horribleness of his situation, or was it something else I may have missed?
I read it as Guts is sad because everyone hates him.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oGE34CiKs Random find of the day, apparently they are touching up Berz for the home release, and some of the jank can be attributed to working on a rushed deadline to air on time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Crabtree posted:

Because this has been a nightmare of mine for a long rear end time and I've never known if you should start like how the manga did and have a movie showing off Black Swordsman Guts killing Prostitute Apostle, Snake Baron and The Count to get people interested or save time and start from the Golden Age, I guess split it into three films and go from there.

A few more successful recent mini series like the cool Series of Unfortunate Events adaptation have convinced me that TV Series are the way to go for long form adaptations. Also starting it the same way seems like it'd be the best. It just kind of throws you right into the gross, hosed up poo poo of berserk then The Count kind of ends on a "Oh by the way, there's reasons for all this" and then The Golden Age starts. I think one of the problems with doing the Golden Age stuff as a start, like anime and games tend to, is that Berserk is fairly well known and has a reputation for being about an angry dude who fights monsters. But the Golden Age doesn't have that until the very end.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It should just be an HBO show. It's perfect.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about Starz?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

threeagainstfour posted:

At the end of the battle with the Count when they cut to Gut's crying/getting choked up as he walks away from the Count's daughter, I'm curious what everyone's read on that was?

Saving the Count's daughter from falling to her death made Guts think about Casca

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
my fave thing about golden age is guts repeatedly chumping the self proclaimed biggest badass in every kingdom he meets

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

threeagainstfour posted:

She was about to give up and kill herself so he played the jerk to give her something else to focus on. Even though he tries to laugh stuff like that or the priest/daughter off that poo poo still affects him deeply.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

my fave thing about golden age is guts repeatedly chumping the self proclaimed biggest badass in every kingdom he meets

one of my favourite things about berserk is dropey never quite putting 2+2 together about all of this rad poo poo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

temple posted:

Justice is impossible in Berserk, there is no way to right the wrongs committed by Griffith and by the world at large. Berserk and Guts is about finding peace in a horrible world.

Hes gonna kill Griffith and it will be better

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
He's gonna kill Griffith and the people of Falconia will hate him forever for killing their messiah and destroying the one nice place in a world now chock full of dragons, demons, and other hosed up astral poo poo. When Guts kills Griffith he will leave behind a new dark age, he will be remembered as the Alaric or Attila who personally ruined the world out of his hatred towards nice things. Only worse, because Attila didn't literally kill Jesus.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

skasion posted:

He's gonna kill Griffith and the people of Falconia will hate him forever for killing their messiah and destroying the one nice place in a world now chock full of dragons, demons, and other hosed up astral poo poo. When Guts kills Griffith he will leave behind a new dark age, he will be remembered as the Alaric or Attila who personally ruined the world out of his hatred towards nice things. Only worse, because Attila didn't literally kill Jesus.

He had it coming. Its for the best.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I can't wait till Griffith gets turned back into his crippled original body in front of all of falconia before getting bisected by the Dragon Slayer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As cool as Griffith getting sliced in half would be, I want Guts to crush his pretty face with the broad side of the blade like a giant mace.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

one of my favourite things about berserk is dropey never quite putting 2+2 together about all of this rad poo poo.

Bless him, one of these days he might stumble into it. Then puck can pull out a ruler and rap his student on the knuckles for being so clueless.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Bless him, one of these days he might stumble into it. Then puck can pull out a ruler and rap his student on the knuckles for being so clueless.

Wait, other than Puck, does anyone in the party know? "The Black Swordsman" that Farnese was chasing was not "The 100 Man Killer from the war", not does Serpico have any information beyond Guts fighting skills. Puck only has glimpses back to the Eclipse. Does anyone actually know that Guts and Casca are Hawks?

(I guess it's time for a reread if I don't remember)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Puck would probably know if he was paying attention the first time Guts met Griffith post-eclipse, but he wasn't.

Nobody else knows about Guts' past or that he's even connected to Griffith except Rickert.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think Serpico is smart enough to piece it together, but also smart enough to realize Guts is keeping quiet about that poo poo for a reason. Didn't he start to talk about it when they first reached the harbor town?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think it would be cool if Guts gave up on revenge and went on to live his life on Elf Island.

In a way going back on the revenge tour is just another way of Griffith owning him like he did in the Golden Age.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Begemot posted:

Puck would probably know if he was paying attention the first time Guts met Griffith post-eclipse, but he wasn't.

Nobody else knows about Guts' past or that he's even connected to Griffith except Rickert.

I feel like that's gonna come back to bite everyone in the rear end someday. Hell, it already kind of is since Schierke and Farneese are now most likely on a road trip to Casca's recollection of the Eclipse. A little forewarning might have been helpful there...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wait, didn't it come up that Guts was in the Hawks a few chapters ago, just not that he was their subcommander?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, didn't it come up that Guts was in the Hawks a few chapters ago, just not that he was their subcommander?

Yeah some dude in Midland recognized him but he was alone and brushed it off with "That man is dead." style thing I think. Also dude might be dead at this point considering what Midlands been through since then.

:edit: Sir Owen, leader of one of the Midland Knights groups. Not sure if he's still hanging around Falconia.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 19, 2017

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Nuebot posted:

I think Serpico is smart enough to piece it together, but also smart enough to realize Guts is keeping quiet about that poo poo for a reason. Didn't he start to talk about it when they first reached the harbor town?

Yup. There is basically no loving way that someone as knowledgeable as Serpico wouldn't have put two and two together very quickly. Dude's smart enough not to say anything again since he has secrets of his own.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I feel like that's gonna come back to bite everyone in the rear end someday. Hell, it already kind of is since Schierke and Farneese are now most likely on a road trip to Casca's recollection of the Eclipse. A little forewarning might have been helpful there...

Yeaaaah I keep wondering about that. I mean how do you know they don't inadvertently summon something really loving weird? They almost have to since there's no way nothing bad will happen there. :(

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 19, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Yup. There is basically no loving way that someone as knowledgeable as Serpico wouldn't have put two and two together very quickly. Dude's smart enough not to say anything again since he has secrets of his own.

Yeaaaah I keep wondering about that. I mean how do you know they don't inadvertently summon something really loving weird? They almost have to since there's no way nothing bad will happen there. :(

I think just reexamining is quite bad enough on it's own here.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

It'd be kind of funny if instead of fixing Casca it just ended with all three of them crazy.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah some dude in Midland recognized him but he was alone and brushed it off with "That man is dead." style thing I think. Also dude might be dead at this point considering what Midlands been through since then.

:edit: Sir Owen, leader of one of the Midland Knights groups. Not sure if he's still hanging around Falconia.

Guts was telling the group he was mercenary buds with Griffith a couple chapters ago

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

Guts was telling the group he was mercenary buds with Griffith a couple chapters ago

I'm laughing cuz I'm like "a couple chapters ago? did I forget something" but it's berserk.

I thought he just said he was in band of the hawk but didn't think that was the same as saying "and I was that dude." But I'll get to that eventually, I'm re-reading again right now. :)

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

I think it would be cool if Guts gave up on revenge and went on to live his life on Elf Island.

In a way going back on the revenge tour is just another way of Griffith owning him like he did in the Golden Age.

He was going to give up after the Blackswordsman arc but realized that it wouldn't work out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The problem with Guts giving up on revenge and living in Elfhelm is that the odds of Elfhelm not getting utterly hosed up by Griffith, who is actively hunting witches out because they're a threat, is next to nil.

On the plus side, it's going to make for some cracking mad as gently caress panels. It's been a while since we've seen him bite something, so hopefully that too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 19, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Odds are the moment Caska is finally healed in whatever way she comes out is when Griffith finds his way to Elfhelm. Or at least the Neo Band of the Hawk. For that brief moment of happiness to be shattered.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

miyuki sawashiro is back...

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 19, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Latest anime episode was also pretty okay. Or maybe i'm just immune to it and have stopped caring about the issues it has.

Also, this Finnish Metal band sure likes writing songs about Berserk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXICJKSq1T0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nhar5FvWfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ghRGkg--6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAl5b4C_jJ8

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Crabtree posted:

Odds are the moment Caska is finally healed in whatever way she comes out is when Griffith finds his way to Elfhelm. Or at least the Neo Band of the Hawk. For that brief moment of happiness to be shattered.

Yeah this trip to Elfheim has unintended consequences written all over it. Something is going to go wrong.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ccs posted:

Latest anime episode was also pretty okay. Or maybe i'm just immune to it and have stopped caring about the issues it has.

I love this arc too much to care I guess, but I'm doing some mindless busywork today at my desk so I've been playing the dub of the first season (boy, some WEIRD VA choices there, farnese, griffith, and serpico are about all that i like...) and the difference between like episode one and today's episode is pretty significant.

They're trying :smith:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My girlfriend animated on the How to Train Your Dragon TV series and won't watch this show because she says it looks like a first pass at animation. Like they did 30% of each shot and then just stopped trying. But I guess the quality gap between a Dreamworks show and a CG anime is pretty huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I love this arc too much to care I guess, but I'm doing some mindless busywork today at my desk so I've been playing the dub of the first season (boy, some WEIRD VA choices there, farnese, griffith, and serpico are about all that i like...) and the difference between like episode one and today's episode is pretty significant.

They're trying :smith:

They need to stop casting Guts English actor in tough or grisly dude roles, they had him voice Kenshiro in the dub of the Fist of the North Star musou years back and he just sounds like a goony dude doing a bad impression of what he thinks a tough guy should sound like

Just lol they couldn't get the original cast back and didn't even bother reaching out to them apparently, they're still doing loving 4Kids work and supporting voices guys, their asking price would not have set the world on fire and all Funimation did was annoy the already irritated fanbase