Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
EDIT: More like the FAT-AFUUUUUUCCKKKK YOUUUUUU!!!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ah, so this is the Metal Slug I've been hearing about

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDWYVgMxBss

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nenonen posted:

In urban centres the wires go underground but in the grand scale, over millions of kilometers of rural powerlines that would be totally impractical. Hence rural areas suffer power outs all the time during storms and blizzards while I have never personally experienced a power out in a city. Sure the cables can get cut by diggers, but it seldom affects many households and will be fixed briefly. In the rural areas a big storm can cut power from thousands of households and fixing the problem takes time but the lowly peasant accepts his lot.

It'll be interesting to see if we get more underground HTS (high temperature superconducting) power cable systems. You have a cryostat cable that you pump liquid nitrogen through to cool.

They have an installation in Columbus Ohio that has 13.2kV, 3000 amp cables.

So now not only do you have to worry about electrocution and arc flash/blast but dangerously cold nitrogen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nenonen posted:

In urban centres the wires go underground but in the grand scale, over millions of kilometers of rural powerlines that would be totally impractical. Hence rural areas suffer power outs all the time during storms and blizzards while I have never personally experienced a power out in a city. Sure the cables can get cut by diggers, but it seldom affects many households and will be fixed briefly. In the rural areas a big storm can cut power from thousands of households and fixing the problem takes time but the lowly peasant accepts his lot.
Rural areas suffer power outages due to single point of failure networks, where urban networks are a spiderweb with automation that has gotten pretty good at shunting broken areas to keep more viable areas powered.

Moving power underground requires doing relative backflips because high power lines need fancy poo poo like those superconducting schemes or HVDC with inverters that cost shitloads more because if you run the same cable that runs above ground, all the power turns imaginary because impedence or whatever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

zedprime posted:

Rural areas suffer power outages due to single point of failure networks, where urban networks are a spiderweb with automation that has gotten pretty good at shunting broken areas to keep more viable areas powered.

Moving power underground requires doing relative backflips because high power lines need fancy poo poo like those superconducting schemes or HVDC with inverters that cost shitloads more because if you run the same cable that runs above ground, all the power turns imaginary because impedence or whatever.

Mississauga uses underground power cables in a lot of areas and it works fine

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nenonen posted:

Also buried lines can also fail, and when they do getting access to and repairing them is a much bigger deal than if a tree falls on some wires. So in most places burying the lines isn't justified.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Spotted this gif of a roofing accident in another thread. Before climbing, it's important to check the inside of the structure of hazards.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 18, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Three-Phase posted:

Well this is just one (right at the end of the video):
https://youtu.be/Xvlk_73bSvc

Yes!

That's the stuff.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just to make sure I understand what is going on here, is that a helicopter with a tree saw dangling from a pipe/stiff cable?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

PittTheElder posted:

You don't even have to bury the pipe if you don't want to. Do something like the Trans-Alaskan pipeline, but way cheaper because you don't need to be maintaining high-pressure seals or anything.

TAPS is not easy to maintain even when oil isn't flowing into it, it's way easier to just use above ground poles. Oh and Alaska also uses the chainsaw helicopter for tree maintenance along high tension runs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In almost every city I've been to they had underground utilities. The above ground cables seems to be a real north-american / developing world thing. In my city a small area of the downtown core is all underground but outside of that it's just a tangle of trees and wires.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

deoju posted:

Spotted this gif of a roofing accident in another thread. Before climbing, it's important to check the inside of the structure of hazards.

India: Not Even Once.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zil posted:

Just to make sure I understand what is going on here, is that a helicopter with a tree saw dangling from a pipe/stiff cable?
Yep. It's basically a giant chainsaw.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

deoju posted:

http://imgur.com/fyGNqt6.gifv

I definitely did not expect that.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes!

That's the stuff.

That's one of those things I'm surprised anyone in a crisis has the presence of mind to remember from training. Plus I'd be terrified of tripping, falling down, and melting my face off.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

China invented proper electrical safety 5000 years ago

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

I definitely did not expect that.
One of them has a rifle so I assume they knew what was inside. They probably didn't expect it to lunge at them though.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Zil posted:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RadDJX6o_BE

Its used around the world.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Metalocalypse invades our reality, and it is glorious.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's a giant flying Super Meat Boy trap, really.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thanks, I knew they used saws and other things from helicopters, but did not expect the saw to be that large or used so close to transmission lines.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And let us never forget https://youtu.be/rF1vfMM3W08

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

China invented proper electrical safety 5000 years ago

No no no feet together! Feet together!!!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

My favorite helicopter/tree interaction is still that bonkers Christmas tree farm pilot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08K_aEajzNA

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Fly Molo posted:

That's one of those things I'm surprised anyone in a crisis has the presence of mind to remember from training. Plus I'd be terrified of tripping, falling down, and melting my face off.

I can speak from personal experience that if you set yourself on fire, the first thought in your head after "Oh dear, I seem to have set myself on fire" is "AH gently caress, I SHOULD STOP, DROP AND ROLL".

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Scruff McGruff posted:

My favorite helicopter/tree interaction is still that bonkers Christmas tree farm pilot

this is legit like watching Rembrandt paint, dude is at the pinnacle of his craft

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Minus points for not being driven off the helicopters driveshaft

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

I want to make this into a video game

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Improbable Lobster posted:

Mississauga uses underground power cables in a lot of areas and it works fine
Errr, yeah. If it wasn't clear my point is buried cables is something you do to <50kV. And doesn't really give you much extra online time with the network balancing automation that drops problematic areas of the network like its hot in the case of a tree falling on a line or a lightning strike or something. And then consider a rural area is going to have like one transformer for who knows how many acres and if that transformer drops the load whether cause it itself is busted or something funny happens to the line, there's no amount of dropping and adding that can power a network behind a single point of failure like that.

In the larger scheme those <50kV lines are like the last mile transmission in a developed area and is baby time compared to the 100kV+ lines that would need all the special junk to bury and not completely bust (itself or the bank).

Anyway I'm not sure why it is even a US vs the rest of the world discussion because the US has a lot of buried cables these days and the poles are mostly strung up with telecom.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I live in a newly developed area (maybe like an exurb?) in the finnish countryside and I noticed all the power here is underground, as is the fiberoptic and telecoms stuff. I got a few km to another area that's from the 70/80s and it's poles.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

His Divine Shadow posted:

I live in a newly developed area (maybe like an exurb?) in the finnish countryside and I noticed all the power here is underground, as is the fiberoptic and telecoms stuff. I got a few km to another area that's from the 70/80s and it's poles.

I think you have to go much further south for poles.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Baronjutter posted:

I think you have to go much further south for poles.

The gently caress are you talking about, he's already in Finland. Just head north a couple (or 20) hundred miles and he'd be right at the pole.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Super Soaker Party! posted:

The gently caress are you talking about, he's already in Finland. Just head north a couple (or 20) hundred miles and he'd be right at the pole.

unless he lives in the northern part of finland a much closer supply of poles is to be found in eastern europe

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
There aren't many poles of the ambulatory meat-version 'round these here parts. Lots of vietnamese though, and other south east asians, and various balkan people.

Last time I met a pole was a week ago, he was a truck driver coming to collect something and spoke only russian and, I guess, polish. Fortunately a coworker (from belarus) came back from lunch and could sort it out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

In almost every city I've been to they had underground utilities. The above ground cables seems to be a real north-american / developing world thing. In my city a small area of the downtown core is all underground but outside of that it's just a tangle of trees and wires.

Yeah, now think anywhere outside the cities, aka most of the US. Ain't nobody going to bury a mile of cable to service one farm, and keep doing it for hundreds of miles per county.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Some guys are installing windows on balconies in my building, and this morning when I left for work I found this in the lobby.

Nothing wrong with that doorstop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So that's where my knife went