Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blimps are there just to seem cool and be a checkbox on the feature list to get people who think they are cool buy the DLC. They might be interesting modding fodder though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think blimps are cool :unsmith:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lorini posted:

After watching Biffa's videos, the question in my mind is why anyone would use blimps. He had 10 blimps but nearly 1000 people at stations waiting for blimps, and each blimp only holds 35 people. He also had monorail which seems to me to nearly the same thing as blimps but they hold 180 people. He doesn't mention the costs so I have to assume that the costs of running blimps is a lot cheaper than monorail but it'd be nice to know exactly what the ratios will be when the game comes out.

The problem with blimps might be that they are the fastest way to get from point A to point B according to the logic the game uses to calculate public transport usage, so they're would have much higher demand than what they can really handle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Which comes back to the lack of any sort of class in the game. In Transport fever people had budgets/preferences for travel. The poorer you are the more you care about cost, and the richer you are, the more you care about speed. This means if you have a fast rail line between two place, and a bus, and a plane, all get used. If skylines had something like that as well as just a touch more control over transit management it could really be great.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think blimps are cool :unsmith:

Also, with mods, the blimps could easily be replaced by helicopters or dragons or flying volcanoes or whatever.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

RagnarokZ posted:

Also, with mods, the blimps could easily be replaced by helicopters or dragons or flying volcanoes or whatever.

I hope someone replaces the blimp with these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Rotodyne

"From two miles away it would stop a conversation. I mean, the noise of those little jets on the tips of the rotor was just indescribable. So what have we got? The noisiest hovering vehicle the world has yet come up with and you're going to stick it in the middle of a city?"

:allears:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
One mod I can already see I want is the ability to see through color which roads are priority and which are not. Because knowing me I'll screw it up because I forget which is which.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Blimps are there just to seem cool and be a checkbox on the feature list to get people who think they are cool buy the DLC. They might be interesting modding fodder though.

At least now goons will be represented in-game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So it looks like all the actual meaningful features coming out like intersection management and the improved engineering and transit controls will all be free. The only paid features are the goofy disney land monorails and the blimps?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So it looks like all the actual meaningful features coming out like intersection management and the improved engineering and transit controls will all be free. The only paid features are the goofy disney land monorails and the blimps?
Don't forget the ferries, which will typically be so far below the docking platform people would need rope ladders to board.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What are the new road types, or are they counting the monorail roads as road types?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

What are the new road types, or are they counting the monorail roads as road types?
A few of them like two lane roads as wide as avenues, different sized highways with 2&4 lanes, 2-1 lane roads and finally one way train tracks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Watch this 12 minute video for the details of the roads as well as the rest of the DLC

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Other than the super wide 2-lane road mods got those all covered already. I'm feeling pretty good about this update and not having to spend a dime on it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Why are new road and bridge types not compatible with old saves, according to that chart? :psyduck:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Which comes back to the lack of any sort of class in the game. In Transport fever people had budgets/preferences for travel. The poorer you are the more you care about cost, and the richer you are, the more you care about speed. This means if you have a fast rail line between two place, and a bus, and a plane, all get used. If skylines had something like that as well as just a touch more control over transit management it could really be great.

There are classes, it's just that they don't have much nuance. Cims are divided by density, where they're further divided by education, and then divided by age. The problem is that the only categories for transport preference are cars, public transportation, taxis and biking. If you could divide up preferences by individual public transportation types that would be really nice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

There are classes, it's just that they don't have much nuance. Cims are divided by density, where they're further divided by education, and then divided by age. The problem is that the only categories for transport preference are cars, public transportation, taxis and biking. If you could divide up preferences by individual public transportation types that would be really nice.

Yeah, like right now the problem is if I built an airship or a ferry line depending on the way the game ranks transit types, it would 100% cannibalize an existing route and jam up. That's another big problem, lines need to have a "service quality" based on how fast and reliable and crowded the line is which influence a cim's choice.

You can give them 2 nearly equal options to get to their destination but 100% of people will flock to one, crowding it to hell while leaving the other unused. It also makes over-lapping lines or express lines useless too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Why are new road and bridge types not compatible with old saves, according to that chart? :psyduck:

Was there a maximum before or was the maximum greater than 5? If so, that would probably be why.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, like right now the problem is if I built an airship or a ferry line depending on the way the game ranks transit types, it would 100% cannibalize an existing route and jam up. That's another big problem, lines need to have a "service quality" based on how fast and reliable and crowded the line is which influence a cim's choice.

You can give them 2 nearly equal options to get to their destination but 100% of people will flock to one, crowding it to hell while leaving the other unused. It also makes over-lapping lines or express lines useless too.

I just realized today that the game is XP compatible which is probably the factor that's holding it back the most. I'm hoping this is it for Cities Skylines and Cities Skylines 2 will be announced which at least should be a true 64 bit game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not 100% sure about this, I use express lines without any problem, but I also usually don't give them any alternatives.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Lorini posted:

I just realized today that the game is XP compatible which is probably the factor that's holding it back the most. I'm hoping this is it for Cities Skylines and Cities Skylines 2 will be announced which at least should be a true 64 bit game.

I have no idea if it would actually run on XP. Cities is already a 64bit game as you can check in task manager. Cities regularly allocates about 6gb of ram for me. Looking in the game's folder, there's only a 64 bit executable so I have no idea how it would run on a 32 bit system.

e: it's more likely that they want it to run alright on integrated graphics / laptops with 4gb of ram than windows xp / 32 bit windows.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You have to get the 64 bit upgrade for XP to run it. I don't know anything about it except it exists.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17791

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Newbie question: How do I use Bus Stations? Bus Depots and Bus stops seem to operate just fine without one?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Update's live - RIP mods.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Update's live - RIP mods.

Shouldn't be for too long, they were given access to the DLC awhile ago is my understanding. At least for the really popular ones.

E: Some of the mods are already updated. I only use about 10 but half of them were updated.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 18, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Paradox Sale on City Skylines and DLC not including Mass Transit. I assume Steam will eventually have these prices as well. You get a Steam Key from Paradox.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Currently working mods from reddit

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It sounds like some people have taken up IPT. I really hope they manage to get it working again because seriously, it's like half the game to me.
Great to see pretty much every other 'essential' mod I use on the list already though, that's great.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

It sounds like some people have taken up IPT. I really hope they manage to get it working again because seriously, it's like half the game to me.
Great to see pretty much every other 'essential' mod I use on the list already though, that's great.

IPT is dead in the water, unfortunately, as the mod author never released his code so there's no way of patching it. Whatever the new transit mod ends up being is going to be an amalgamation of TLM and the new features of this patch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

As long as I can EASILY set the number of vehicles per line, set the type of vehicle per line, unbunching, and hopefully set capacity/upkeep for it I'm set.
What I liked about IPT's vehicle options is that it automatically balanced the running costs of vehicles based on the capacity you set, so things were always fair/balanced, no need to do math. Double the capacity? Double the upkeep.

Going to wait on a solution there as I can't imagine playing without at least unbunching and the ability to set types/exact number of vehicles per line. Also metro overhaul isn't working yet either, but that has a pretty active team so I'm sure it won't be abandoned.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Would anyone in this thread be interested in a $12.99 copies of Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2? :v: I just remembered that I have steam keys for both and I'd be willing to trade them for MT.

Baronjutter posted:

As long as I can EASILY set the number of vehicles per line, set the type of vehicle per line, unbunching, and hopefully set capacity/upkeep for it I'm set.
What I liked about IPT's vehicle options is that it automatically balanced the running costs of vehicles based on the capacity you set, so things were always fair/balanced, no need to do math. Double the capacity? Double the upkeep.

Going to wait on a solution there as I can't imagine playing without at least unbunching and the ability to set types/exact number of vehicles per line. Also metro overhaul isn't working yet either, but that has a pretty active team so I'm sure it won't be abandoned.

As I understand it the goal is to incorporate the features of both mods, so hopefully it'll turn out to be like IPT with the hour by hour vehicle number adjustments that TLM had.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Any recommendations for realistic looking power plant models on the workshop?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

turn off the TV posted:

IPT is dead in the water, unfortunately, as the mod author never released his code so there's no way of patching it. Whatever the new transit mod ends up being is going to be an amalgamation of TLM and the new features of this patch.

Good news!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToastyPotato posted:

Any recommendations for realistic looking power plant models on the workshop?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760376926
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=820986974
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793404813
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=784265260
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836161157
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=536804516
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903812356
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=816731978

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Holy poo poo. Thanks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Uhhh well, Bloody Penguin apparently was able to reverse engineer or somehow get his hands on the code of IPT and released his own version.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928128676

Also, Traffic Manager: President Edition got some new and extremely cool features:

quote:

Updated for game version 1.7.0-f5
    New feature: Parking restrictions
    New feature: Speed limits can be set up for individual lanes with the Control key
    New feature: Added timed traffic light and speed limit support for monorails
    New feature: Copy & paste for individual timed traffic lights
    New feature: Rotate individual timed traffic lights
    New feature: Lane customizations may come into effect instantaneously
    Unified traffic light toggling feature with game code
    Performance improvements
    Reworked the way that traffic measurements are performed
    Advanced Vehicle AI: Algorithm updated, performance improved - Possible routing decisions are now being precalculated
    Path-finding cost multiplicator for vehicle restrictions is now configurable in TMPE_GlobalConfig.xml
    UI: More compact, movable main menu UI
    Added support for custom languages
    Added Korean translation (thanks to @Toothless FLY [ROK]LSh.st for translating)
    Updated translations: German, Polish, Russian, Portuguese, Traditional Chinese
    Major code refactorings
    AI: Tuned path-finding parameters

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Speaking of pathfinding, I haven't played since before any of the expansions. Do cars still crowd single lanes on roads and highways?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of pathfinding, I haven't played since before any of the expansions. Do cars still crowd single lanes on roads and highways?

Yes, but some addons, including some of the various Traffic Managers, can tune things so that the pathfinding detects crowded single lanes and reroutes traffic in a way that makes the other lanes be more useful. The various Traffic Managers also let you redefine which lanes are turning lanes at intersections, which can be really useful. The earlier you can suggest to the pathfinding logic which lane it will need to be in, the more spread out traffic can be.

One thing that I'd love to see fixed is how cars will simply stop in the middle of a lane to perform a "safe" lane change, which itself causes more traffic.

is TM:PE the only Traffic Manager getting updated? I'd been using Traffic Manager + Improved AI, as TM:PE does a lot that I don't think I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

McGlockenshire posted:

Yes, but some addons, including some of the various Traffic Managers, can tune things so that the pathfinding detects crowded single lanes and reroutes traffic in a way that makes the other lanes be more useful. The various Traffic Managers also let you redefine which lanes are turning lanes at intersections, which can be really useful. The earlier you can suggest to the pathfinding logic which lane it will need to be in, the more spread out traffic can be.

One thing that I'd love to see fixed is how cars will simply stop in the middle of a lane to perform a "safe" lane change, which itself causes more traffic.

is TM:PE the only Traffic Manager getting updated? I'd been using Traffic Manager + Improved AI, as TM:PE does a lot that I don't think I need.

You can disable pretty much every feature of PE that you don't want or need. I play without using its traffic AI and just use its parking system and lane controls, although if this update is to be believed the performance impact of the AI is going to be significantly lower.

E: one thing that I've never understood is why the agent pathfinding system calculates for every trip, instead of just finding a route to the cim's school/job and a set of stores, then reusing that information until there's a change made to that route.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 18, 2017