Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Not being able to work for a year in your chosen profession is a "slap on the wrist" to you?

He committed a felony and then lied about it under oath, dude. Yeah, being suspended for a year is nothing. Even Kim and Jimmy see it as something to celebrate. Because they know they got away with something they really shouldn't have.

Stickarts posted:

The show is compelling because all the characters are so complicit in the events that are taking place. No one comes away clean. I understand why this thread is pro-Jimmy and I'm cheering for him myself. But regarding Jimmy taking care of Chuck, Jimmy had been enabling his mental illness for some time.

e. I mean, Chuck obviously loves being served. That scene with the whiskey was so spot on. He expects people to mince and cowtow.

I agree. I'm playing Devil's advocate just because the conversation tends to be so one-sided against Chuck otherwise. I do have empathy for Chuck, but really I'm still rooting for Jimmy at the end of the day...for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

He committed a felony and then lied about it under oath, dude. Yeah, being suspended for a year is nothing.

Did he actually lie about it?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Not being able to work for a year in your chosen profession is a "slap on the wrist" to you?

Compared to jail time and diabarment, which one would expect for committing massive fraud and breaking and entering, absolutely. poo poo, even Jimmy saw it like that with his champagne celebration.

E: beaten like a mentally ill brother

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

LeJackal posted:

I don't know, did he? He certainly crafted an argument intended to convince the panel that his confession on the tape was not genuine, and that Chuck's completely accurate (and actually quite cleverly deduced) theory of what happened was simply another symptom of his mental illness. Morally, what he did was not good.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow people are whiny and quick to judge.

It's likely Lydia wasn't put in there JUST as a cameo; she's legitimately likely to be involved in the show. Like I said earlier she and Mike hated each other by BB for some reason. I guess we'll find out why.

Also they've done fun things with EVERY tie in. The meth lab isn't even "REMEMBER BB? REMEMBER BB?" It's where Gus is going to be going and soon. Why I mentioned Gale earlier. He was in business long before Walter loving White got involved. Also I firmly believe the way they're doing it everything we're seeing as callbacks would be great foreshadowing watching the shows in a linear order.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watch Chuck sue Jimmy for enabling his sickness for so long.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
This episode was pretty lame compared to last weeks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chuck's terrible because he's such a smug, self-important, vindictive rear end in a top hat. But they perfectly balance it by Chuck being right and not a liar. Everything he's accused Jimmy of is entirely accurate, as far as I can remember. I guess blaming him for their dad's business failing is a stretch but we don't really know, he could be right.

Banditoh
Aug 13, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wow people are whiny and quick to judge.

It's likely Lydia wasn't put in there JUST as a cameo; she's legitimately likely to be involved in the show. Like I said earlier she and Mike hated each other by BB for some reason. I guess we'll find out why.

What did I miss that mike and Lydia had a problem before she met him in that restaurant and asked him to kill his guys? because that scene made them seem like professional acquaintances, but I didn't get a real animosity vibe.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Like I said earlier she and Mike hated each other by BB for some reason. I guess we'll find out why.

One of the very first things Lydia does in Breaking Bad is hire someone to kill Mike to protect herself.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think Mike and Lydia hated each other before she tried to have him killed, but he does allude to knowing some hosed up poo poo she's done that seems to go back further than the henchman kill list, so maybe we'll see some of that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah there isn't some mystery. Lydia goes to Mike first because he's actually the one of Gus's people she does trust. But when he won't play ball she hires a different guy because if she's gonna start killing, Mike has to go too. Mike didn't hate her until she did that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Karmine posted:

One of the very first things Lydia does in Breaking Bad is hire someone to kill Mike to protect herself.

You have to explain why or else the question becomes "I guess we find out why Lydia wanted to kill Mike in BB."

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Todd+Lydia (Tydia) is a love story for the ages. I'm halfway through writing my erotic fanfiction

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

LeJackal posted:

He objectively lied to the court about having a cell phone ("I left it in the car") and then he defended himself against charges of assaulting his brother by hiring Huell to assault his brother in the course of planting the battery in his pocket. Chuck claims that Jimmy treats the court like a circus and Jimmy beats this by performing the Amazing Magical Disappearing Reappearing Cell Phone Battery trick to make Chuck look nuts (which he is).

This is the first time I've ever been disappointed in this show. It's still entertaining, but I wanted to see the panel tell off Jimmy. Chuck is a loon, but he's not loony on purpose, he really believes that he's allergic to electricity. He's not evil, he's pitiable. Jimmy, on the other hand, is criminal through and through, even though he's doing things with the best of intentions, he's still tying the law in knots. Chuck is RIGHT that Jimmy is a chimp with a machine gun, and I wished we'd have got to see the court tell Jimmy that NEITHER McGill brother is fit to be a lawyer.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

TBeats posted:

You have to explain why or else the question becomes "I guess we find out why Lydia wanted to kill Mike in BB."

If you watched Breaking Bad it's made pretty clear. If you don't watch Breaking Bad then you have no idea that Lydia ever even knew who Mike was so it doesn't matter.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drunken officeparty posted:

Todd+Lydia (Tydia) is a love story for the ages. I'm halfway through writing my erotic fanfiction

"And then the dopey-eyed motherfucker started loving Lydia, a mother."

Can't wait to read it. :allears:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scuba school sucks posted:

He objectively lied to the court about having a cell phone ("I left it in the car") and then he defended himself against charges of assaulting his brother by hiring Huell to assault his brother in the course of planting the battery in his pocket. Chuck claims that Jimmy treats the court like a circus and Jimmy beats this by performing the Amazing Magical Disappearing Reappearing Cell Phone Battery trick to make Chuck look nuts (which he is).

This is the first time I've ever been disappointed in this show. It's still entertaining, but I wanted to see the panel tell off Jimmy. Chuck is a loon, but he's not loony on purpose, he really believes that he's allergic to electricity. He's not evil, he's pitiable. Jimmy, on the other hand, is criminal through and through, even though he's doing things with the best of intentions, he's still tying the law in knots. Chuck is RIGHT that Jimmy is a chimp with a machine gun, and I wished we'd have got to see the court tell Jimmy that NEITHER McGill brother is fit to be a lawyer.

If Chuck had allowed the attorney representing the Bar to finish the objection that he was making to Jimmy's antics, there's a good chance that the panel WOULD have sided with Chuck and told Jimmy off. The fact that Chuck thinks he's only person capable of seeing through Jimmy's chicanery and feels the need to point out that what Jimmy is doing is a circus act is what ultimately makes him looks like a paranoid loon. Even if we, the audience, know that everything Chuck is saying is factually accurate, it doesn't matter because that wasn't the time to bring it up.

Moreover, Chuck shouldn't have put himself on the stand on the first place. Howard was absolutely right, a break in and assault with two witnesses, combined with Jimmy's confession from the PPD, was already an ironclad case for disbarment. It's only by introducing the tape itself and Chuck putting himself on the stand that he opens the door for Jimmy to wiggle out of it. If Chuck actually cared about Jimmy, if he was actually doing all this for Jimmy's own good, he wouldn't have stepped foot into the hearing in the first place.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Chuck's terrible because he's such a smug, self-important, vindictive rear end in a top hat. But they perfectly balance it by Chuck being right and not a liar. Everything he's accused Jimmy of is entirely accurate, as far as I can remember. I guess blaming him for their dad's business failing is a stretch but we don't really know, he could be right.

He's definitely shown to be at least partly wrong about that - Jimmy did steal from the till a bit, but mostly it was due to their dad being a sucker for con artists (that weakness is even shown to be WHY Jimmy stole what he did). Not to mention that his sabotage of Jimmy wasn't shown to be right at all, and may even be what caused Jimmy to go back to his old ways after becoming a lawyer. That's why I feel Chuck, despite being technically right sometimes, is ultimately wrong - he claims that Jimmy is an untrustworthy crook, but when Jimmy actually tried to better himself, Chuck not only sabotaged him, but didn't tell him about it, so all Jimmy learnt was “going about things the right and legal way doesn't work". All because of a vindictive, prideful grudge.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"And then the dopey-eyed motherfucker started loving Lydia, a mother."

Can't wait to read it. :allears:

The finale is an extended roleplay where Todd is Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting and Lydia is the girlfriend. The nazi uncle is Robin Williams.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The hell is wrong with some of the posters in this thread? Callbacks are fun, they go over the heads of people who didn't see BB (which I assume are a minority with this show) and I don't imagine they're bothered by them as much as the nitpickers who get the nods. I'm sure that they'll pay off the drug lab and Lydia at some point, but in the meantime just laugh and move on. Or cringe and then also move on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BreakAtmo posted:

He's definitely shown to be at least partly wrong about that - Jimmy did steal from the till a bit, but mostly it was due to their dad being a sucker for con artists (that weakness is even shown to be WHY Jimmy stole what he did). Not to mention that his sabotage of Jimmy wasn't shown to be right at all, and may even be what caused Jimmy to go back to his old ways after becoming a lawyer. That's why I feel Chuck, despite being technically right sometimes, is ultimately wrong - he claims that Jimmy is an untrustworthy crook, but when Jimmy actually tried to better himself, Chuck not only sabotaged him, but didn't tell him about it, so all Jimmy learnt was “going about things the right and legal way doesn't work". All because of a vindictive, prideful grudge.

This. Jimmy straightened out and accomplished something. Chuck got mad that Jimmy chose to be a lawyer and sabotaged him. Chuck doesn't care about Jimmy being good anymore than Jimmy cared about helping Chuck during the hearing. Chuck just wants to punish him for perceived crimes from 40 years ago.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

scuba school sucks posted:

by hiring Huell to assault his brother in the course of planting the battery in his pocket.
I'm not a lawyer but I think it would be Huell committing battery to place... the battery.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

If Chuck had allowed the attorney representing the Bar to finish the objection that he was making to Jimmy's antics, there's a good chance that the panel WOULD have sided with Chuck and told Jimmy off. The fact that Chuck thinks he's only person capable of seeing through Jimmy's chicanery and feels the need to point out that what Jimmy is doing is a circus act is what ultimately makes him looks like a paranoid loon. Even if we, the audience, know that everything Chuck is saying is factually accurate, it doesn't matter because that wasn't the time to bring it up.

Moreover, Chuck shouldn't have put himself on the stand on the first place. Howard was absolutely right, a break in and assault with two witnesses, combined with Jimmy's confession from the PPD, was already an ironclad case for disbarment. It's only by introducing the tape itself and Chuck putting himself on the stand that he opens the door for Jimmy to wiggle out of it. If Chuck actually cared about Jimmy, if he was actually doing all this for Jimmy's own good, he wouldn't have stepped foot into the hearing in the first place.

At least in Chuck's view, I think he hinted that if he didn't testify, the board would likely sanction him but not disbar him. To Chuck, his testimony gets them from suspension to disbarment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah that's fair. I'm mostly thinking about the show time period I suppose.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What do you mean by Chuck sabotaged Jimmy? By not wanting to hire him as an attorney in his own company? He was under no obligation to do so, and in fact it was absolutely the correct decision, although he should've made that clear.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
When Jimmy first graduated it was the right decision not to hire him, but once he brought them the Sandpiper Crossing case he should have been taken on.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Konstantin posted:

When Jimmy first graduated it was the right decision not to hire him, but once he brought them the Sandpiper Crossing case he should have been taken on.

Yeah. What the gently caress more do you want at that point to prove he's worth hiring? That's why he was so angry at Howard, who Chuck was throwing under the bus. He proved that not only could he be a legitimate lawyer, but that he was good, and willing to work hard. But that wasn't enough for Chuck, who still told Howard not to hire him and to take the fall.

I'm not sure what Chuck wants Jimmy to do. Chuck seems to think that people can't ever change, no matter what. Is Jimmy supposed to work in the mailroom until he dies?

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 18, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I'm not sure what Chuck wants Jimmy to do. Chuck seems to think that people can't ever change, no matter what. Is Jimmy supposed to work in the mailroom until he dies?

Not even "seems to." He directly says as much during their confrontation in Season 1:

quote:

Jimmy McGill: So that's it then, right? Keep old Jimmy down in the mailroom. He's not good enough to be a lawyer.

Chuck McGill: I know you. I know what you were, what you are. People don't change. You're Slippin' Jimmy. And Slippin' Jimmy I can handle just fine. But Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree is like a chimp with a machine gun. The law is sacred! If you abuse that power, people get hurt. This is not a game. You have to know on some level, I know you know I'm right. You know I'm right.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

What do you mean by Chuck sabotaged Jimmy? By not wanting to hire him as an attorney in his own company? He was under no obligation to do so, and in fact it was absolutely the correct decision, although he should've made that clear.

Why was it the correct decision? Wasn't it made clear that the Hamlins actually liked Jimmy and were open to hiring him, but Chuck explicitly blocked them? And even if you disagree, Chuck doing all this behind his back is completely indefensible, and probably the more major betrayal.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Also, HHM could perfectly well have given Jimmy a cornfield job when he passed the bar-- it's not like it was partner-or-nothing. It was Chuck who insisted that even the lowliest doc-review job was too good for Jimmy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Would Jimmy really have been happy as a regular lawyer at HHM, though? I get that he's pissed at what Chuck had been doing to keep him down, and it's really the principle of the thing, but drat, it'd be like Davis & Main all over again.

Outside of all the insane danger, dude seems to be having a blast during BB.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BreakAtmo posted:

Why was it the correct decision? Wasn't it made clear that the Hamlins actually liked Jimmy and were open to hiring him, but Chuck explicitly blocked them? And even if you disagree, Chuck doing all this behind his back is completely indefensible, and probably the more major betrayal.
Because working with family, especially as subordinates, sucks, and also because Jimmy does end up cutting and being a loose cannon, as demonstrated by the Sandpiper Crossing case and by his constant Slippin JImmy scams he ran in parallel. There are opportunities at other firms, and they even set him up with a good job, but he blew it up.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Would Jimmy really have been happy as a regular lawyer at HHM, though? I get that he's pissed at what Chuck had been doing to keep him down, and it's really the principle of the thing, but drat, it'd be like Davis & Main all over again.

Knowing what we know now, most of us having seen BB and, presumably, everyone here having seen all of BCS to this point, there's plenty of reason to think he may not have been a good fit for an HHM lawyerin' job. But knowing what Jimmy knew as a newly minted bar-exam-passer excited over the hope of coming to work at his big brother's firm, it might have been reasonable to think there was no really no good reason AT THE TIME not to give him a chance. After all, he did (apparently) toe the line for however many years keeping a good record as a mailroom guy, so he had demonstrated he could reliably come to work on time every day and fit into the culture of the place well enough that the only objection stated was nepotism.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

And Chuck could have both had smug satisfaction of proving himself right AND looked like a good guy for giving Jimmy a chance.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

The Davis and Main thing is important, and I think it shows, whatever about his actions, that Chuck has a point. Jimmy simply cannot help himself even in the best environment. He can't do the proper, by the book lawyer stuff even when its clearly the best path forward, he will always press the switch.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Because working with family, especially as subordinates, sucks, and also because Jimmy does end up cutting and being a loose cannon, as demonstrated by the Sandpiper Crossing case and by his constant Slippin JImmy scams he ran in parallel. There are opportunities at other firms, and they even set him up with a good job, but he blew it up.

He blew it because he realized that it didn't matter what he did, Chuck would always think of him as Slippin Jimmy, so why the hell not just be Slippin Jimmy? It's entirely possible he could have kept on the straight and narrow if Chuck had actually given him a chance - literally or figuratively.

Even now, his elder law practice is pretty by the numbers and honest work - aside from the tactics used in creating the commercial, of course.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

khwarezm posted:

The Davis and Main thing is important, and I think it shows, whatever about his actions, that Chuck has a point. Jimmy simply cannot help himself even in the best environment. He can't do the proper, by the book lawyer stuff even when its clearly the best path forward, he will always press the switch.

Can someone remind me what exactly caused Jimmy's spiral at Davis and Main?

I'm a little fuzzy, but IIRC maybe the ennui of not being hired at HHM may have contributed... obviously we'll never know for sure but my gut feeling is it may have put him in a different frame of mind that led to the D&M flame out

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Can someone remind me what exactly caused Jimmy's spiral at Davis and Main?

I'm a little fuzzy, but IIRC maybe the ennui of not being hired at HHM may have contributed... obviously we'll never know for sure but my gut feeling is it may have put him in a different frame of mind that led to the D&M flame out

He wanted to be as effective as possible in helping out the Sandpiper residents, so he made that specific commercial and bought specific airtime so they'd see it, and he aired it... Without consulting the higher ups at all. They got pissed, Jimmy only saw the results, and realized "I prefer my way".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

They only did that much later, after Jimmy had already... slipped. For what looks like years, Chuck blocked Jimmy from being hired while allowing him to believe that he was failing personally and professionally, leading him back down a bad path to his previous habits. The Sandpiper Crossing/Davis&Main stuff only happens long after this, and says little about how hiring Jimmy in a basic, entry-level law job right after he passed the bar would have gone. This is what I was saying about Chuck - he assumes Jimmy will be shady, lies to him and sets him up to fail, then uses that failure as proof that he was 'right all along', ignoring his own culpability.

• Locked thread