Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So is Ymir probably dead? She can't be since her character just got actual detail. But shes been swallowed for a pretty long time... I know shes still gonna be alive somehow but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Attack on Titan is going to last as long as the editor wants it to last

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Or until the author goes insane and barricades himself in his studio screaming about how the titans want to eat him. It worked for the YYH author!

I feel like I'd be annoyed if any other show kept breaking up the action with flashbacks like this, but it helps the pacing's pretty brisk otherwise.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So, is there any speculation on the other person the CTitan had grasped besides Ymir? I personally have no fuckin clue

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hommando posted:

I want to know who won the fight between Mikasa and Annie.

In each magazine a chapter is published in, the author, Hajime Isayama, does a Q&A session with 3 questions each. A lot are really funny. This was his response about Annie and Mikasa's fight:

Bessatsu Magazine 2014-02 posted:

Q: Who won the Annie vs Mikasa fight in Vol. 11?
A: It was an enjoyable fight, like the fight between Nogueira and Bob Sapp! The instructor came and interrupted the fight, so there was no winner.

I'll go put some of my favorites while I'm here...

(It's sort of a meme within the Japanese community than in the early volumes of the manga, the art is so rough that it's hard to tell Reiner in Jean apart. I think someone even mentioned they were having that problem earlier in this thread.)
Q: How bad is Hanji’s eyesight?
A: Without her glasses, she won’t be able to tell Reiner and Jean apart.

Q: Who is Mikasa’s best friend among the 104th girls?
A: Armin.

Q: I really like the Female Titan, so to achieve her figure, I’ve been working hard at strength training. Please tell me the three sizes of the Female Titan.
A: B860 CM W660 CM H860 CM
(That's apx. Bust 28ft, Waist 25.5ft, Hips 28ft)

(And of course, the question that's been burning in all of our minds since the show began:)
Q: Is it possible to go to the toilet while wearing the 3DMG?
A: Yes. It was designed to make it possible.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 15, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That last one seems obvious really, if people can't poo poo their pants properly while being eaten alive by a Titan then what was even the point of 3DMG???

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

BrainDance posted:

So is Ymir probably dead? She can't be since her character just got actual detail. But shes been swallowed for a pretty long time... I know shes still gonna be alive somehow but come on.

I think they are out to capture, not kill. Annie did the same to Eren awhile back.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I think they are out to capture, not kill. Annie did the same to Eren awhile back.

I had thought that too (though I didn't specifically remember Annie/Eren) since it was pretty clear that there was no biting involved.

What worries me is Ymir's coma, the lack of sunlight (this is a factor in their healing, right?) and Bert doing some sort of hosed up parasite eve trick.

Just out of curiosity, we haven't seen any shifters die in their human forms, have we? Annie would be the only sample, and she turned into a cyst rather than dying. I think we assume that they're more fragile when human, but how far does that fragility go? Easier to kill? Or just easier to incapacitate?

Does anyone remember off the top of his/her head what other weaknesses titans have besides the cut at the back of the neck? How did Hange's titan pets die, again?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the titans haven't been shown to have any weaknesses besides the nape of their necks. that's the only way to kill them; they'll regenerate any other wound

they didn't show how hange's titans died, but you'd have to assume it was by having their nape cut like any other titan

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
An episode where I scream "Put him in the Cross Arm Breaker!"

And then Eren actually does it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Raxivace posted:

About how long is the manga projected to last?
Back in 2013/14 the author and editor projected 16-20 volumes but they admitted that it had been extended. The original potential end-point has passed but it's believed we're entering the final third/quarter now.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Szmitten posted:

Back in 2013/14 the author and editor projected 16-20 volumes but they admitted that it had been extended. The original potential end-point has passed but it's believed we're entering the final third/quarter now.

Right. I believe I also read an interview saying that the story had expanded as when he started writing, he found he wanted to and could flesh out certain characters and their motivations (I believe one of the major examples he gave was Commander Erwin Smith). But the one thing that's been consistent since the story was first published is that the story is already planned out from beginning to ending. I'll post again if I find interviews again, but I agree with the sentiment that based on interviews, and based on where the manga is right now, it probably is in it's last 1/3rd or 1/4th.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ok, found them.

2014 - "According to manga editor Shintaro Kawakubo, the manga is finishing laying out its mysteries. He says he think it will take three or four years to address them all and wrap up the series."

2015 - Shintaro Kawakubo - "Specifically, there are about three years worth of manga chapters left. Since the manga started in 2009 and it has been 6 years, the comment is consistent with Isayama’s recent claim that the story is approximately “60% finished.”

2016 - Author Hajime Isayama - "Tankobon Volume 20 will be released on August 9th, and it will approach the climax of the story. So everyone: please keep reading until the epilogue."

Sources are here:
SPOILERS! ANIME-ONLY WATCHERS DO NOT CLICK THE LINKS BELOW! SPOILERS!
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/08/16-1/attack-on-titan-editor-estimates-years-left-on-the-series
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/09/05/editor-discusses-beginning-and-end-of-attack-on-titan
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/08/02-1/attack-on-titan-prepares-for-cimax-in-volume-20-manga-preview

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Sjs00 posted:

So, is there any speculation on the other person the CTitan had grasped besides Ymir? I personally have no fuckin clue

A soldier with 3dmg

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sjs00 posted:

Probably nobody of importance, based on the oversight by the animation team. It's hard to see, but the guy who gets scooped has different hair from the guy who gets tossed into his mouth.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jesus this episode was just gushing with cinematic brilliance.

They were sexualizing Annie here, weren't they. Freakin' anime...

Oh yeah this part I had to rewind because I enjoyed it entirely too much.

And lastly, here is a scene that was not in the show...

...because they cut it up into like 5 pieces despite it being one long scene in itself. Looks way better like this!

I'm sorry if my animation station caused your modem to explode.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 16, 2017

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Man, I was just thinking how little time passes during the events of S2 thus far. The season starts out on the same day as the end of S1, there's the hunt for the hole in Wall Rose, encounter with the Beast Titan, then there's the whole castle arc, then the next morning the reveal of the Armored and Colossal Titans.

It has been quite a 24 hours in the Attack on Titan world. Was it this compressed in the manga?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DaveKap posted:

I'm sorry if my animation station caused your modem to explode.
By all means, please continue to work your magic like this, they're great.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Sylphid posted:

Man, I was just thinking how little time passes during the events of S2 thus far. The season starts out on the same day as the end of S1, there's the hunt for the hole in Wall Rose, encounter with the Beast Titan, then there's the whole castle arc, then the next morning the reveal of the Armored and Colossal Titans.

It has been quite a 24 hours in the Attack on Titan world. Was it this compressed in the manga?

What you see here in the anime is pretty much how it was in the manga. This whole season takes place over the course of like 2 days. It didn't feel so compressed when you're getting only one chapter a month, though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

How short is this season supposed to be? Wikipedia seems to think the next episode is the last but I don't really know if I should trust that since it may just be the information normally needed for future eps just doesn't exist.

That said, if it is the last episode of the season (*cry*) then yeah, it is super obvious where it's gonna cut off.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
12 episodes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

drat, no chance of a second opening then. Only slightly sad but at least the quality of the season has been nothing less than phenomenal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just hope the third season comes out in a reasonable amount of time. :shrug:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mordja posted:

I just hope the third season comes out in a reasonable amount of time. :shrug:

There's definitely enough source material to do another season as long as this one right this minute, but they had the material to make this season for ages and we're only just now getting it. I wonder if there's are/were some kind of behind the scenes production problems.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I don't know poo poo about anime production or the state of the anime industry in Japan, but it is honestly baffling it took 3 years to get season 2 out given how popular season 1 was.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would think it has to do with letting the manga keep far enough ahead. the first season may have been more indulgent than the second has been so far, but I don't think they've ever wasted time on filler

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The currently airing episodes were what the current manga chapters were delivering when season 1 was airing. There simply wasn't enough material to do another season for like two years anyway.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Considering the chapter that this season will end on came out like 2-3 months after season 1 ended, two years is a bit much

E: actually nvm the chapter came out like 10 days after the anime ended. so yeah, the wait had nothing to do with waiting for the manga

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 18, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
On the Super Best Friendscast they claim they heard that all the studios were tied up

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one wants to be an animator anymore in Japan and there's just not enough people to go around is the main reason were only getting a short season when there's more than enough manga.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Are they all realizing it's a terrible job and that a job that relies on crunch time and working overtime is not great in a culture where the default is already working to your physical limit and working overtime?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Are they all realizing it's a terrible job and that a job that relies on crunch time and working overtime is not great in a culture where the default is already working to your physical limit and working overtime?
Come on, we gave them Flash so it was all easier to do, what more do they want?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DaveKap posted:

Come on, we gave them Flash so it was all easier to do, what more do they want?

A paycheck would be nice for them. Cause they get payed per page I believe. And do to how things work they earn stupidly little amounts of money
Edit this shows my point pretty well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Shirobako is a must watch for anyone who wants to understand the animation industry in an entertaining way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

A paycheck would be nice for them. Cause they get payed per page I believe. And do to how things work they earn stupidly little amounts of money
Edit this shows my point pretty well.

That graph just tells me we need communism now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
full anime communism now

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Does that adjust for VA's working multiple roles/jobs? Like Does an A-lister maker $600K per role, or is that because they're voicing a character in every anime series at $30K each?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SpartanIV posted:

Does that adjust for VA's working multiple roles/jobs? Like Does an A-lister maker $600K per role, or is that because they're voicing a character in every anime series at $30K each?

It's an average. Plus its the annual income so it would be the later instead.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 20, 2017

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This ep was all set up for the rest of the season I guess but:

1) Lmao Mikasa and Armin furiously eating

2) Eren has no arms?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Conspiratiorist posted:

Shirobako is a must watch for anyone who wants to understand the animation industry in an entertaining way.

An entertaining and not depressing way

For those wanting a more realistic/horrible depiction, there's that episode of Haka-Dolls

• Locked thread