Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMuellerPGH/status/864827212385710080
Its really depressing seeing McCutchen degrade so rapidly as a player :smith:

Meanwhile I am very happy to see the Dread Pirate Jaso hitting well below the Mendoza line at .162

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

Has there been any talk/analysis into while teams are throwing fastballs way less than in years past? As average fastball velocity is at an all time high, the % of fastballs thrown is at an all time low.

The Yankees have the fastest average fastball velocity in MLB and throw it the least often.
It's probably related to the general trend of "throw your best pitch more" that has been happening. Guys like Rich Hill that have a really good breaking pitch are now throwing them 40% of the time or more, which is a lot more than conventional wisdom dictates.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Initial x-rays on Freeman's hand inconclusive, headed for another round of them tomorrow.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Pussy Boss posted:

Cross her off the list, then.

Gonna have to wait for the Veteran's Committee to give her a shot, I guess.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

Cross her off the list, then.

take a look at this fuckin guy

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Initial x-rays on Freeman's hand inconclusive, headed for another round of them tomorrow.
UGGGH I'm gonna have nightmares

Decent chance poo poo pops off tomorrow in the series finale. Summary of today's drama is: Freeman gets hit on the heel of his back hand in the fifth, the impact was loud enough that it was initially called a foul ball and he leaves the game. (This is the seventh Brave hit in their three games against the Jays). Foltynewicz hits Travis around the knee with the first pitch of the next inning, but nobody loses their poo poo and life goes on. Inciarte gets brushed back an inning or two later by a reliever and gives the guy a look but really it just seems like a bad pitch from a bad pitcher. Bautista socks one (a solo shot to make it 8-4 late) and gives a big stare and flip; Jace Peterson (who took Freddie's spot) says something as he rounds first and Bats looks for a second but keeps going. Suzuki confronts him at the plate, Bautista actually kinda looks like he's a little chagrined and is signaling to Suzuki that he's taking responsibility for it but the benches empty. No punches, no ejections and the game finishes without further incident.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think someone said the fastball being thrown less frequently is a relatively new thing.

Anecdotally, I want to say that I got real pissed off after the Big Strike in '94, and I went from being a guy who would watch three or four full nine-inning games per week (whatever teams were on, didn't matter) and spending the rest of my time reading about baseball and working on my fantasy teams, to someone who paid little attention to baseball at all until about 2010 or 2011.

The main difference I noticed (or thought I noticed) when I really started paying attention again, was that in the so-called hitter's counts in 2010 it seems like batters were now as likely or more likely to get a breaking pitch or some off-speed thing as they were to get the old #1, which had been a pretty much automatic pitch selection in the 90s and long before that.

I can't say for sure if this was the case because i don't think pitch types were tracked faithfully until more recently, but man I was pretty blown away when I started watching again. Seemed like kids arrived at the MLB level with one or two more genuinely good pitches than they had been before.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1mZzMEs4q4

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

John Wilkes Booth definitely just buy tickets off stubhub the day of. I bought $7 USD tickets to yesterday's game, I was sitting just past 3rd base in the mid-level (200s), front row. Great seats.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I think someone said the fastball being thrown less frequently is a relatively new thing.
so is the trend towards throwing your best breaking pitch a fuckton even for starters, which is why I'd guess the two are related

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

will_colorado posted:

you and your lovely weather, Minneapolis.

:confused:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Those storms that moved through today methinks. Milwaukee is about to get hit but the Crew are out West right now.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

iospace posted:

Those storms that moved through today methinks. Milwaukee is about to get hit but the Crew are out West right now.

me on sunday: "Hey it's warming up, better wash the car!"
mother nature this week: "lol"

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

The Berzerker posted:

John Wilkes Booth definitely just buy tickets off stubhub the day of. I bought $7 USD tickets to yesterday's game, I was sitting just past 3rd base in the mid-level (200s), front row. Great seats.

Here's hoping the Jays continue to be garbage well into next month.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

the Twins/Rockies game was postponed tonight. a doubleheader tomorrow with the games starting at 11AM and the other at 6PM. it's the second DH for the Rockies in 9 days.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 18, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Didn't hear anything about this before now, but apparently a fan died from a fall at Wrigley last night. Apparently it happened after the game as fans where exiting.

http://wgntv.com/2017/05/17/man-dies-after-fall-at-wrigley-field/

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MRI, CT scan for Freddie tomorrow

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

MRI, CT scan for Freddie tomorrow

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

That's to be expected after equivocal X-rays

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
So the Pillar/Motte dust up just got messy...

http://thecomeback.com/mlb/kevin-pillar-accused-making-homophobic-slur-offers-limited-apology.html

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Popete posted:

Didn't hear anything about this before now, but apparently a fan died from a fall at Wrigley last night. Apparently it happened after the game as fans where exiting.

When did Josh Hamilton get traded to the Cubs?

In Curt Schilling news:

quote:

“If he wants to maintain the lie he made here, that’s fine. No one denies racism exists, but when people like him lie about an incident and others just take him at his word, it perpetuates a mythical level of racism,” Schilling explained. “And for some reason, it appears blacks believe only blacks can talk about racism and only whites can be racists. I promise you if some scumbag yelled the N-word at Adam Jones in Fenway, it would have been on Twitter, Facebook and every other social media site asap, like every other ‘incident.’ Not to mention the liberal Boston media would have broken its neck to identify the racist. But just taking him at his word means there are a bunch of white cowards and racists living here, because no one stood up to the guy. Adam has an agenda and one needs to only look at his past commentary on race and racism to see it. But see, when you question fake hate crimes in this day and age it somehow makes you a racist. If you use this use every word or none at all.”

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm expecting bone bruise and day-to-day for Freeman, if it was a hamate bone break they probably would have spotted it on X-ray without needing a CT. Then again the hand has a ton of tiny bones.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 18, 2017

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Curt Schilling posted:

But just taking him at his word means there are a bunch of white cowards and racists living here,

I see Curt Schilling has been to Boston.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Curt's stance: It's unfair that only minorities can claim to be oppressed in America

This is a real thing he believes

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

So I found this Beat the Streak group called SAS goons and I assume it's you guys. Someone mind posting/PMing the password?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm expecting bone bruise and day-to-day for Freeman, if it was a hamate bone break they probably would have spotted it on X-ray without needing a CT. Then again the hand has a ton of tiny bones.

Subtle carpal fractures are quite often occult on X-ray. You're still probably correct.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

In Curt Schilling news:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm all in favor of giving Schilling the ol' Stalin purge and removing him from all historical '04 and '07 World Series footage and photos. Soon enough people will tell tales the heroic Pedro Martinez and his bloody sock, and reality will be better for it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

My son idolizes Pillar :smith:. We weren't watching tonight so he hasn't seen it directly and probably won't hear about it but kinda disappointing.

Der Meister posted:

Subtle carpal fractures are quite often occult on X-ray. You're still probably correct.

Occluded?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sandpuppy posted:

You skipped a season. He hit .305 for KC in between. It's not that unusual for players to grow into better hitters as their careers progress, especially if they land on a new team with a different hitting instructor.

Yeah, it certainly had nothing to do with him doping.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Texas Rangers are currently the owners of a winning record.

Anything is possible.:unsmith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My son idolizes Pillar :smith:. We weren't watching tonight so he hasn't seen it directly and probably won't hear about it but kinda disappointing.

I don't know how old your son is but if Jorge Posada (my favorite player growing up) said some hosed up poo poo and I found out that my mom knew but didn't tell me and let me go on thinking the world of him, I'd feel a little betrayed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Popete posted:

There are zero details in that, but my guess is he took a spill over a railing coming down the ramps from the upper deck.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

will_colorado posted:

the Twins/Rockies game was postponed tonight. a doubleheader tomorrow with the games starting at 11AM and the other at 6PM. it's the second DH for the Rockies in 9 days.

If you can't appreciate a good storm then I don't know what to say :colbert:

Plus now we get baseball on a basketball off night so it's win-win

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

will_colorado posted:

I was going to get excited about morning baseball but then I realized that's :airquote:Mountain Time:airquote:.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I don't know anything about Motte so I googled to see if he was actually gay or not and he's apparently married to a nice lady that helps him with cancer charities for kids.

In a surprise to no one, I did find some other boards talking about this and a lot of people brushing it off as locker room talk and not seeing what the big deal was. "Those guys teammates probably call each other fags all the time, it doesn't mean anything. You probably only cross the line if you use the n-word"

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't know anything about Motte so I googled to see if he was actually gay or not and he's apparently married to a nice lady that helps him with cancer charities for kids.

Jason Motte is a very nice man who used to throw FASTBALLS but then had TJS so now he's just a nice guy with less facial hair for whom I want good things. In short, gently caress Kevin Pillar both for yelling homophobic slurs and for yelling them at a Cool Dude.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jung-Ho Kang lost his DUI sentence appeal in Korea so he may not be back in the US for some time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jung-Ho Kang lost his DUI sentence appeal in Korea so he may not be back in the US for some time.

Good, gently caress drunk drivers

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Can we stop giving Curt Schilling attention in this thread

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Nah, hidden I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've wondered this since I was like 7 and a big kid hit me with a pitch but I've never actually asked it: why don't baseballers wear hockey style pads on their lead arm and hand?

edit - other than Barry's performance enhancing armor of course

• Locked thread