Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

xbilkis posted:

Because coherency is a good quality in a TV show

Now they got a hook for you to watch next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Someone needs an extreme ways flashback to explain wtf just went down.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this entire tribal council should have been an episode.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Is Cirie secretly bad at Survivor?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think the editors hosed with us so that all the bonkers vote steal stuff would seem extremely important when actually Michaela was going all along. so I blame them for me being wrong

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That preview :stare:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
showing the votes clarified nothing

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So Sarah gave her vote steal to Cirie knowing about it being non-transferable just to see if Cirie would use it against her? Give this bitch the money.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

I think the editors hosed with us so that all the bonkers vote steal stuff would seem extremely important when actually Michaela was going all along. so I blame them for me being wrong

Nah I think Tai was solidly "going," but Cirie flying too close to the sun put a slight left turn in the plan. If I'm Sarah and Cirie pulls that crap, I don't want the vote going the way she wants it to. Shoot first, question later.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Arcanen posted:

Someone needs an extreme ways flashback to explain wtf just went down.
They really should have. If they wanted to hide that Michaela was going so we could have our minds blown as the vote steal and no idol play stuff unfolded, then I get that, but then they should've extreme waysed it for sure so we would have some loving idea what happened

Shneak posted:

So Sarah gave her vote steal to Cirie knowing about it being non-transferable just to see if Cirie would use it against her? Give this bitch the money.
I think she did it just to show trust, which was an easy gesture to make since it's non-transferable, but I don't think she actually thought Cirie would try to use it right there.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Somebody made a good point about the :lol: way Extreme Ways could be executed, but if Jeff reads the votes with five minutes of programming left, it could work.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is kind of funny, because I've been wondering if and how terminal velocity changes if you're falling into water. It acts somewhat like a solid at a certain point, as with belly flops.

To be fair (to me :v: ) the escalator I'm thinking of goes two subway stories deep, and it's got high ceilings. You're probably looking down about 100-150 feet. It takes me a full minute to walk down.

The highest recorded dive is just over 190 feet, but the guy did end up with some fractures in his vertebrae. People have fallen/jumped off the Golden Gate bridge and survived,. which is at a height of 220 feet.

I believe it takes somewhere around 12 seconds for most average people to reach terminal velocity in low altitudes. That ends up being somewhere around 450m/1500 feet.

The danger of higher jumps isn't really the fall or impact with the water, it's making sure the water is deep enough. If you do need to jump from a great height, the key is to go in feet first (and together) with your elbows in tight.

edit - Also, seriously, you should go find a pool with a diving platform and go have some fun jumping into the water. It's easier if you just don't look down. Just take a few steps and jump out into the air knowing that there is relatively soft water under you. :)

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 18, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

The highest recorded dive is just over 190 feet, but the guy did end up with some fractures in his vertebrae. People have fallen/jumped off the Golden Gate bridge and survived,. which is at a height of 220 feet.

I believe it takes somewhere around 12 seconds for most average people to reach terminal velocity in low altitudes. That ends up being somewhere around 450m/1500 feet.

The danger of higher jumps isn't really the fall or impact with the water, it's making sure the water is deep enough. If you do need to jump from a great height, the key is to go in feet first (and together) with your elbows in tight.

I think I was saying terminal velocity wrong. In physics, as with the number you quoted I think, it's how long it takes to reach the fastest velocity possible. I'm talking terminal, as in, your velocity is now terminal, to you. I get that the water needs to be deep enough, but say you jump from that ridiculous height over open ocean; would it get to the point where you'd actually die from drowning trying to get to the surface in time? That seems silly, like the water cushion it would take for a human would still have a limited depth.

Apologies for the derail~

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I think I was saying terminal velocity wrong. In physics, as with the number you quoted I think, it's how long it takes to reach the fastest velocity possible. I'm talking terminal, as in, your velocity is now terminal, to you. I get that the water needs to be deep enough, but say you jump from that ridiculous height over open ocean; would it get to the point where you'd actually die from drowning trying to get to the surface in time?

Apologies for the derail~

Honestly, that I don't know, but I would think you'd probably die from the impact/fall before you die from drowning by going too deep.

I believe that you probably wouldn't go too deep because the body itself has a natural positive buoyancy, plus, once you are actually in the water you tend to have a natural instinct to spread your limbs to slow your descent.

Actually, I just looked it up and apparently a human body will never go more than 16 feet regardless of the height of the fall. Interesting!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm curious how much of this was planned and how much just worked out. It's entirely possible that Sarah:

• Figured out Cirie was stirring poo poo.
• Rules-lawyered Cirie into outing themselves.
• Voted out Cirie's probably permanent ally because you can boot Cirie anytime and besides who's gonna trust them after that tribal.

In which case yep, that's some prize-worthy 3D chess poo poo.

But that seems like an awful lot of dominoes toppling exactly the right way.

Agreed on needing some goddamn competent editing/Extreme Ways. What an unfollowable clusterfuck.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

Honestly, that I don't know, but I would think you'd probably die from the impact/fall before you die from drowning by going too deep.

I believe that you probably wouldn't go too deep because the body itself has a natural positive buoyancy, plus, once you are actually in the water you tend to have a natural instinct to spread your limbs to slow your descent.

Actually, I just looked it up and apparently a human body will never go more than 16 feet regardless of the height of the fall. Interesting!

Missed the ninja edit, sorry about that.

But but but if you brace yourself like you said to, wouldn't you just break your legs, at worst? Even if it hits your spine, it's hitting your lower spine which is less mission critical than higher up your back and neck. Assuming you're able to align yourself.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Missed the ninja edit, sorry about that.

But but but if you brace yourself like you said to, wouldn't you just break your legs, at worst? Even if it hits your spine, it's hitting your lower spine which is less mission critical than higher up your back and neck. Assuming you're able to align yourself.

Are you talking about jumping from some kind of super height like 1000+ feet? Yeah, you will break your legs and you could possibly survive, but the problem is that the shock from breaking your legs could cause you to inhale water and then drown. Plus, it's actually kind of hard to float normally if you can't use your legs.

So while it's almost impossible to hurt yourself from jumping into the water from a height of 50 feet, provided you don't belly flop/land on your back and the depth of the water is more than 16 feet. The chances of hurting yourself obviously goes up as the height goes up.

Also, if you can break the surface tension of the water, you could possibly make it out without getting injured or not as injured.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Basically all of this could have been avoided if Cirie had bothered to read the what, 3 sentences? on the piece of paper.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

What was the point of stealing Tai's vote and using it to vote for someone Tai would have voted for anyway? Why vote out Michaela instead of Cirie?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Schlonged Again posted:

What was the point of stealing Tai's vote and using it to vote for someone Tai would have voted for anyway? Why vote out Michaela instead of Cirie?

Michaela might win immunity.

(I've no answer for your first question. Episode was a mess.)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I don't know why people are so upset about the editing not explaining why Michaela went. It seemed clear to me that the plan came together at Tribal-- we saw Sarah whisper with Brad, and they conspired on the spot to get Michaela out for whatever reason that will become clear in post-Tribal confessionals at the start of next episode.

Admittedly, the editing still left some pieces out. Was Tai really trying to get Sarah out? What votes did he have? What votes did he think he had? It seems like pre-Tribal Tai was voting Sarah, Aubry/Michaela/Cirie were voting Tai, but we don't really know who exactly Sarah, Brad, and Troyzan were voting for. The show, I guess, would have us believe Sarah was voting Troyzan and Troyzan/Brad were voting Sarah, but we never actually saw footage confirming that. Also, it seems like Tai thought at least Cirie and Aubry (and presumably Michaela) were with him, maybe to vote Sarah out? It's definitely a bit of an editing mess, but it's hard to blame the editors given how much the episode had to cover, and I certainly can't blame them for not showing people planning to vote out Michaela when that presumably came up in unrecorded whispers.

Also, while I don't know what Cirie was thinking by not reading the rules carefully, the rule was poorly enforced. If the advantage is non-transferable, why can Sarah even give the paper away? If she gets voted out is the advantage useless? Why was Sarah allowed to say that "this way you can have it if I get voted out"? Why did no producer clarify the rules with Cirie when she was explaining how she understood the rules in confessional?

Bluffing and lying are big parts of the game, but when people are making moves based on false interpretations of rules that's not really fun for the players or the viewers. It's the same thing with Tony's unfair claim that his super idol protected him at Final 4. How can other players counteract a move like that without producers clarifying the rules?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

mancalamania posted:

It's the same thing with Tony's unfair claim that his super idol protected him at Final 4.
Cirie had a written explanation under her nose. I'm more inclined to allow this than Jeff tacitly agreeing to the specific special powers Tony claimed his idol had.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Cirie had a written explanation under her nose. I'm more inclined to allow this than Jeff tacitly agreeing to the specific special powers Tony claimed his idol had.

You're right, I shouldn't have said it's the same thing, it just fits the general category of producers not correcting someone who misunderstands the rules (until the last possible moment). Cirie is to blame for not reading, but I also think production made a mistake by not stepping in earlier when she clearly misunderstood the rules in confessional.

ETA: Also I don't get the complaint that this shouldn't have been a double boot. The double boots are clearly pre-scheduled, which is why they always occur with two rounds without reward challenges. The solution to this episode not being a double boot is no double boots at all, but in that case we're stuck with 18-episode seasons where any quits and med-evacs have to be their own episodes. I will definitely take a hastily edited episode like this over a redux of Neal or Joe's boring anticlimactic medevacs in 32.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 18, 2017

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Last season's fake idol wrapped in real paper was a very dirty move but if I had one thing for the producers to step in and fix it's copying puzzles in-progress. At least the bluff advantages provide some level of entertainment.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Also producers should step in whenever someone is lying. That's pretty rude, you see.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Also producers should step in whenever someone is lying. That's pretty rude, you see.

I had a feeling my argument would be misconstrued that way, but there's a difference between lying about your position in the game (who has idols, who is playing idols, who you are voting for) and lying about the rules of the game itself. The players need to know the rules of the game they are playing, and if someone does not correctly understand the rules it should probably be production's job to correct them.

If I'm the host of a Mafia game and I see one of the players explain a rule incorrectly (maybe they claim Mafia can't vote to lynch themsleves or something), I'll correct them because it's not really fun (as a viewer or a player) to have a game where the players don't know the rules. I don't let them waste an hour and let the Mafia walk all over the Village and then explain at the end with a poo poo-eating grin that "ACTUALLY I never said Mafia can't vote for themselves, YOU said that :smug:."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty posted:

Poison: Cirie

Love it.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
Is Cirie the first person to make it to three finale episodes? Quite the accomplishment, if so. She messed up the end game of Exile Island but I'm still of the belief that she would've won Micronesia over Parvati and Amanda if not for the surprise Final 2 twist at the end.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sarah is annoying as hell and I hope she get kicked off at 5.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

This has to be the most inept cast since The Cult of Boston Rob.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sarah loving rules and I really hope she wins

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

mancalamania posted:

I had a feeling my argument would be misconstrued that way, but there's a difference between lying about your position in the game (who has idols, who is playing idols, who you are voting for) and lying about the rules of the game itself. The players need to know the rules of the game they are playing, and if someone does not correctly understand the rules it should probably be production's job to correct them.

If I'm the host of a Mafia game and I see one of the players explain a rule incorrectly (maybe they claim Mafia can't vote to lynch themsleves or something), I'll correct them because it's not really fun (as a viewer or a player) to have a game where the players don't know the rules. I don't let them waste an hour and let the Mafia walk all over the Village and then explain at the end with a poo poo-eating grin that "ACTUALLY I never said Mafia can't vote for themselves, YOU said that :smug:."

Cirie had all the information she needed to realize she was wrong.. Production (or mafia game hosts) don't need to hold the player's hands if they make errors based on a player's deceit. Hell, Cirie could have asked production and they wouldn't have told her she could use it. There would have been pretty significant consequences if Sarah was caught lying to Cirie before Cirie tried to use her advantage against her.

We're 34 seasons in. This is better television than gamebotting everything traditionally. This is why Tony was fun to watch as well.

the truth posted:

Sarah is annoying as hell and I hope she get kicked off at 5.

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken after watching her wreck Cirie.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sarah loving rules and I really hope she wins

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 18, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

This has to be the most inept cast since The Cult of Boston Rob.

Congratulations on doing what I couldn't do, carving One World out of your memory.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mancalamania posted:

This is a bad way to mod Mafia. Mods shouldn't interfere with the game, by intervening you're stripping the Mafia of their main agency because the whole point is that they're playing a game of deception. If you did this to me I wouldn't play in any of your games again.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Shneak posted:

fwiw

https://twitter.com/troy_zan/status/865009355355168768

https://twitter.com/troy_zan/status/865010534944526337

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no idea why Michaela went. I mean... my best guess is that Sarah was uncertain exactly what the hell had happened between Cirie and Tai and just decided to vote out someone easy who Brad and Troyzan would be happy to vote out? And she weakens Cirie and Tai and gives Sarah a better shot at immunity? All thinks considered I'm not going to criticize that move because Sarah was clearly thrown for a loop and Michaela had no value to her it seemed. It was just nuts.

Cirie got a little too clever for her own good. That would have been incredible if it had worked but like she clearly got too focused on outsmarting everyone and pulling off a crazy move that she didn't even check the fine print. Also, I'm not exactly sure she's right that Sarah would be so easy to beat at the end. I mean, Cirie probably has a better idea of tribe dynamics than me but Sarah's played a pretty big game and I'm not sure she's some Russell Hantz type that will be despised for it.

I kind of feel like Sarah might have taken out Michaela to bring Cirie to the end as her goat, since that was a huge power move that kind of hurts Cirie bad unless she can pull off something huge. I don't see how she argues that she outplayed Sarah at this point.

I really hope its Sarah and Cirie at the end because anything else would be a little lame. We're definitely setting up for the possibility of the most boring Final Tribal this side of Sierra.

Andrea, meh. She's probably the only person who didn't know that was coming the way she was playing. I get why that got glossed over because you already saw the buildup if you've seen the last few episodes. Plus we kind of randomly learned tonight that Brad and Sarah didn't like her personally, so I guess maybe she wasn't playing much of a social game either.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I hope they don't bring michaela back again. Her gimmick is dumb.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The way Michaela was being set up, I felt that she was going to make it to the end but get canned by the jury :shrug:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

phosdex posted:

I hope they don't bring michaela back again. Her gimmick is dumb.

I put her with Zeke immediate returners upside. Give her a couple years to recover from a ridiculous experience, and maybe with life experience and some age at her back she could be very good. At the very least, she improved on her last showing without the luxury of being able to see her game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How has Cirie not gotten any votes yet?!

Also wow, not expecting Tai to not play his idols. Or that he didn't go home.

I can't tell if Sarah just upped her game by fooling Cirie with fine print, or if she just destroyed her chances with the jury. She's burned Michaela and Debbie at the very least. If Cirie gets ousted, Sarah might have lost her vote. I don't think Tai would vote for her, nor Aubry. So... she might get Sierra and Zeke. But I'm not sure who else on that jury is a lock-in for Sarah. She could talk up her game moves, but I'm not sure about her social game.

Meanwhile, despite Cirie's blunder, she's still got Michaela and Andrea. I could see Zeke voting for her out of respect for her gameplay (she tried a big move!). She'd probably get Ozzy. And honestly Cirie is so respected from her previous seasons that I can see her getting votes just because.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 18, 2017

• Locked thread