Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

HannibalBarca posted:

I've noticed in my game as well that Britain seems particularly vulnerable to getting lots of rebel alignment -- unfortunately it doesn't have any Revolution or Mutiny events, which makes their rebel alignment a bit pointless :v:

From reading the AGEOD forums, it sounds like this is because the AI doesn't put sufficient emphasis on maintaining 25 elements of shipping in the Atlantic Shipping Box. That's the primary source of UK losing alignment. They had to adjust the alignment loss to a max of 1% per turn to compensate.

Grey Hunter posted:

Combat strength - the higher the number the more powerful the stack - although for enemy units the total is everything in the region, even when there are multiple stacks - so you can see two or three stacks with 4000CS, but in reailty is more likely spread amoungst ten stacks.

The western front seems to be holding, I'm just going to have to try and drive the Russians national morale down with a few big victories then hope the revolution kicks off! After that, I'm not sure what to do in the West, bar attempting the Schileffen plan in 1918....

The numbers you see are *not* the actual numbers the allies have if you're playing with fog of war on, like GH is. It's an estimate of the enemy strength, and is necessarily inaccurate, usually overestimating strength (because it doesn't take into account command penalty and cohesion with perfect accuracy).

HannibalBarca posted:

The only other vaguely grognard-flavored WWI game I've played is "Commander: the Great War" which is decent-ish in singleplayer but doesn't pose much of a challenge and lacks some of the historical flavor of this game (and is completely broken in MP).

Ugh, is that the hex-game? I played as Entente, and managed to hold the line with Russia and begin advancing (straight line from German Danzig down SE through the Carpathians) in 1915, while holding in Belgium a line at the Belgian/French border and immediately started pressing East. I don't recommend that at all.

e: there is a 'Total Realism Mod' for TEAW written by one of the guys on the dev team. Haven't tried it out yet; I know it will have more scripted events and things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
"Decent looking grog game" is an oxymoron. Most grog developers treat visuals/user friendliness as the read headed stepchild that can be starved of funds to feed research into more varieties of T-72 to put in the game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I order counter attacks along the western front – including a hopeful push in the south, where the Allies have apparently withdrawn their forces. I'm a little worried about this, but the Allies have been attacking hard for months, and must have poor cohesion! I just have to send another wave of men at them....
God, it's so easy to see why WWI generals fought as they did.

Local counter attacks are also ordered in West Prussia.

Hindenburg is leading a general offensive in Poland – lets hope we can engage and defeat that large force!

I'm still worried by this push, but I'm consolidating my forces to try and force an major engagement – on the defensive!

The Bulgarians are now in charge of the war in Serbia.

The Italians are advancing as I don't have enough troops here, but then again, I can't spare them from Russia at this time.

Stacks have a habit of combining and lowering the CV, I split the Turks and try a limited attack. More Turkish generals are being promoted.

Armenia is a mess, but at least the enemy is in full retreat on the eastern flank!

We bring up the big guns and hammer the British lines – when we advance, they take heavy losses.

Nearby, Kitchener holds firm.

The Tsar himself is in the field at the head of half a million men.

The Austrians rout a much larger force.

Then again, they also lose Belgrade.

The Turks defeat the British.

The next day sees the Saar offensive continue splendidly, they Entente has now lost 130,000 men in two days to our own losses of around 50,000.

Kitchener holds on by the skin of his teeth – and ramparts made of dead troops.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a stalemate before.

The Tsar advances north quickly, but has left a lot of troops behind, and attrition is beginning to bite.

The Austrians obliterate a Russian division (and captured ballon corps).

Hindenburg advances.

The Bulgarians defeat the Greeks as they advance.

On the 7th day, Joffre is able to stop us, at 5:1 losses. And using a million men.

A Serbian division is destroyed by Bulgarian troops.

The Italians assault one of our forts.

The Russians reel before the Hindenburg offensive.

The Turks continue to advance in the far east of Armenia.

I was right, the Entente has left their southern flank unguarded – they must have needed the manpower to push the Kitchener offensive.

They are crumbling now!

They hold us off in Gallipoli, but we have the weight of numbers.

That turn just took an hour and a half to process.....

Oh god, here we go again.....

With the weather closing in, I order a general advance on the Western Front – soon I will bed our troops in for winter, but if I can force the Entente to retreat and reclaim ground before then, then all is good!

We continue to push the Russians as well – I hope to surround and destroy the force in Allenburg.

Hindenburg has advanced and conquered three provinces, and I hope for more gains.

Joffre stops our advance dead.

We continue to advance in Mainz however.

We win in Prussia, but its nowhere near as decisive as I would liked it to have been.

The Australians continue to perform poorly.

Their forces in Gallipoli are also collapsing.

It looks like the Russians are pulling back here.

We win a bloody victory in Serbia.

Hindenburg faces the Tsar.

The French stop our advance.

The Russians advance to the north of Warsaw, but at a cost.

There is another wave of assaults at Gallipoli.

Another little bit of France is mine.

We repulse a French advance in the neighbouring province.

We try and slam the pocket shut once more.

The Bulgarians advance into Salonika.

The French exploit their victory at Metz and are across the Rhine! This is a disaster! They then advance into Frankfurt – My men can never move that fast!

That said, their morale is plummeting, how long can they keep this up with these losses?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

A string of generally good news right up until we hit that brick wall at the last second.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Eep! Can you do a holding actio in the Rhine long enough to slow them and otherwise send troops?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
GH, can you give a link to a few save games? I just want the .hst files from the last few turns so I can load up and look at all three sides. I won't post anything from the Entente if you don't want, but I'd really like to see the supply and manpower situation on the other side of NML.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/222t980wvnkha8g/1%20-%20The%20Great%20War.hst?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic041e7xsa5i6pv/2%20-%20The%20Great%20War.hst?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/li5jlgij51fnpjn/3%20-%20The%20Great%20War.hst?dl=0

There you go - don't spoil to much for me!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mum's the word. Thanks!

All I'll say about the saves is that it's motivated me to restart my game with easy-supply off. It's retarded for any side to be completely cut off from everything but in supply because they control the structure in the space they're in. This is probably a significant factor in why you weren't able to hold that pocket in Poland closed the first time.

That and wow the AI gives me a headache, they have units scattered all over the place with little rhyme or reason to how they're assembled. Like, in one place you'll see 3 stacks - one way over the command limit and unused generals, the other two with one division each. All three moving to the same destination.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

How much advice do you want on army organization? Von Bülow's got a 50% combat penalty that you could get rid of with a single button.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

dublish posted:

How much advice do you want on army organization? Von Bülow's got a 50% combat penalty that you could get rid of with a single button.

Hows that? I've not looked at the turn, and fixed the autostacking marching to the guns produces.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Hows that? I've not looked at the turn, and fixed the autostacking marching to the guns produces.

Von Bülow just isn't connected to OHL, and all independent stacks suffer a 50% penalty to the command points they provide.

Von Bülow is the easiest to fix, but you've got lots of 3-star leaders who are either:

1) being wasted commanding corps (Von Kluck and Von Mackensen in Poland, Potiorek in Serbia, Zhekov in Greece, Sanders Pasha near Gallipoli, Mustafa Pasha and Hasan Pasha and Cemal Pasha at Port Said)

2) leading independent stacks that aren't part of the chain of command (Von Bülow, Fichev's Bulgarians in Serbia, Nurettin Pasha in Baghdad)

3) commanding nothing at all, whether independent or attached to a stack commanded by another 3-star general (Von Mudra at Colmar/Epinal, von Hausen's German army which has been combined with von Krasnik's Austrian army near Warsaw, Vehip Pasha near Gallipoli, Zeki Pasha in Palestine, von Bayern and von Preußen in Berlin)

In order to connect all these guys to the chain of command, they'll need to be within range of one of your GHQs, and some of the chain of command benefits (like CHQ commander bonuses and march-to-guns) only apply while a force is within that range, but the command point penalty is gone for good no matter how far an army gets from its GHQ.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bulow: "Heh, not bad, I guess it's time to get serious." *removes weighted pickelhaube*

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Wait, dublish, can Bulgaria get a GHQ? Or can they attach to other nationalities?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Lol, I didn't even fire up the German side. yeah, if you want effective armies they need to be attached to one of your HQs - they always get double the CP (technically independent units' CP are half), so they can form bigger stacks no matter where on the board they are. The best example of this is to fire up the first turn of a 'historical' game as Central Powers. Look at the 7th and 6th armies (and 5th, I think), you'll see that they all only have 24 or 25 CP. Look at the 1st-4th armies, and they all are around 48. You can attach the 5th army on the first turn, as it's within range of the Moltke HQ. When you do so, the command limit immediately doubles.

If they're in 'command range' of the GHQ (think of GHQ as the front commander, Germany gets two, one for W. one for E. fronts. Everyone else only gets one). If you want to transfer an army from W. to E. it's a good idea to un-attach them from one GHQ and attach them to the other. You can find the 'command range' by selecting the GHQ and holding down shift, it puts a grey overlay around what is in range.

If you have a three-star general, there's almost no downside to making them an army commander. They can't form a corps of their own, but they can have way more units in their stack, and all corps in their territory or adjacent will MTSG (March To the Sound of Guns) to support each other. This is incredibly important on the W. Front - as the front expands, you simply don't have as many troops to put in each region, but an army attached to that front's GHQ will MTSG in support of adjacent corps and armies, letting you get way more troops in to help defend after the first round of combat.

You can switch corps in and out of army stacks at will as well. And units in corps with armies benefit from the combat stats of both the army and corps commander when they're in the same region or after they MTSG into the same combat (because MTSG temporarily stacks them in the same region as the army).

For example, with a 16 region W. Front, I want 7 or 8 armies. In spots where it's more likely for the W. Entente to mount a big push, I'll put two armies adjacent to each other, but for the most part my regions will alternate: a couple corps/army/a couple corps/army. In all regions, both adjacent regions will MTSG to support the attacked region, letting me defend with far more troops than I'd be able to with just one region. MTSG is not perfect, and sometimes independent units will MTSG to support other independent units, but it's much more likely if they're all in the same chain of command.

One more thing: Corps are always 'independent', in that you do not directly add them to the chain of command. When they're in the same or an adjacent region as an army, the game does that automatically to reduce micromanagement. When they move somewhere else, they'll either attach to the new adjacent army or, if there isn't one, just act as independent units. Took me a while (and a lot of ageod forums reading) to really understand how all that works. This also means that you can concentrate your heavy/super heavy artillery in the armies, and get the most out of them.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 16, 2017

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

Wait, dublish, can Bulgaria get a GHQ? Or can they attach to other nationalities?

Bulgaria can't get its own GHQ, you're limited to the 2 German ones, one Austrian, and one (locked in place) Turkish one. If memory serves, and it's been more than a year since I played the Central Powers in this, you can attach any Central Powers army to any Central Powers GHQ. There are limits to the number of armies that can be attached to each GHQ, but I can't remember what determines that number. The commander's strategic rating? Regardless, Grey's averaging something like 3 armies per GHQ, which is about half what you can actually get.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

dublish posted:

Bulgaria can't get its own GHQ, you're limited to the 2 German ones, one Austrian, and one (locked in place) Turkish one. If memory serves, and it's been more than a year since I played the Central Powers in this, you can attach any Central Powers army to any Central Powers GHQ. There are limits to the number of armies that can be attached to each GHQ, but I can't remember what determines that number. The commander's strategic rating? Regardless, Grey's averaging something like 3 armies per GHQ, which is about half what you can actually get.

I haven't tested it yet, but I read somewhere on the AGEOD forums that patch 1.3 did away with the limit on how many armies could be attached to a single GHQ.

And yeah, you can put any nationality's armies under any other's leader, but you do take combat penalties for each nationality above one. There are a few commanders that can command many nationalities without penalty, they have a little flag icon as an attribute saying so. von Mackensen is one for Germany, he starts the game in Koenigsberg.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
One thing that I can't find (or find anything about) is the seaplanes. Germany starts with two, Austria starts with one. You can't fly naval search missions with them; what do you do? Do you just use them with ground units for their (inferior) land spotting? They don't attach with fleets to do spotting or whatever that way...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I order more counter attacks on the western front.

I sort our command structure out a bit in Prussia and go on an offensive.

Poland is a mess, but Hindenburg must rest up and await more generals to support him, but Conrad will try an offensive.

Things are looking better here.

We have reversed most of their gains here.

Things are looking better in Serbia, but I need more generals.

Italy is still advancing – the 600 stack is at a massive penalty, again, due to lack of Generals.

This is a feint to draw in their reinforcements and hurt their cohesion.

The main attack is happening across the Rhine.

The British will not last long in Gallipoli.

Nor in Egypt it seems.

We attack into Mainz, and while we take 63,000 losses and are stopped, the Entente lose a further 103,000 men stopping us!

Another attempt to flank across the Rhine is stopped.

This is the only battle on the entire Eastern front.

The Entente drive deep into Germany – but have they left their flanks weak?

In Prussia we hunt down Russian units, while Bulow attempts to advance.

Conrad advances while Hindenburg rests and reorganises. The area they control is slowly getting smaller though!

We continue to skirmish in Galazien, both sides have large numbers of troops here, but cannot pin down their enemies.

We'll soon have the generals to properly fight here.

The slow advance on Cairo continues.

Heavy Entente losses continue to be a theme as we retake Pflaz. You can also see we occupied Metz without a fight.

Falkenhayn directs the mauling of a Russian Corps.

Conrad gets in on the action with a surprisingly easy victory.

The Bulgarians engage and defeat the Serbians again.

I push hard in Gallipoli to finish of the British troops and free up this army.

Another attempt on Elsass is stopped after heavy fighting.

The Russians advance on the easternmost Austrian flank.

The Turks reach the gates of Cario.

The French desperately counter attack to retake their homeland – they do, but with atrocious losses!

The Austrians give the Italians their first taste of defeat.

The Greeks win their first victory and stop a Bulgarian advance.

With news of the first snows follow the news of crumbling Entente morale – we may be at the end of this years campaign season, but I have a few clean up battles to fight, next year, we will see about breaking them once and for all.

Britains support is looking very rocky....

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
That's.. Actually not a bad end to the year. You've taken back most of the land you've lost to the Entente, are moving well into Serbia and Greece and are bleeding the Entente in the East and the West White while doing so.

Use the winter to rest, reorganize, get more generals and bring your armies back up to full strength and dig in over the places you still control to make sure that the Entente has a bloody time come thier spring offensives.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

:eyepop: No doubt what finally turned the battle to the Entente's favor was when your men could no longer manage to scale the wall of dead Frenchmen.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

:eyepop: No doubt what finally turned the battle to the Entente's favor was when your men could no longer manage to scale the wall of dead Frenchmen.

In fairness if anyoe would order defensive positions made out of corpses of his own men, Kitchener would.

Also I think that Grey's strategic position is pretty reasonable - he's lost some territory in Germany and Austria-Hungary, but it's being cleared out. He's in a reasonable position to clear out isolated enemy bits behind his lines come campaign season, has some time to build up his forces again and fortify for the next season Entente's push and build up more defensive positions. Maybe he can take Cairo and then sweep through Kuwait and Egypt to secure the Middle East and then have Turkey dig in and help upsh through Serbia if it hasn't fallen or however he decides to tactically go about it.

Also I don't think I've ever /seen/ Conrad winning an easy victory with lopsided casualties.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Love it how the crown prince got half of his army wiped out in a single battle - including a field hospital, if I'm not mistaken.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

How likely is GB/Commonwealth dropping out of war now? It seems Kitschener's offensive has bled their forces dry, setbacks in Egypt and Dardanelles campaign didn't help either.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

wedgekree posted:

Also I don't think I've ever /seen/ Conrad winning an easy victory with lopsided casualties.

Conrad can do alright. It's Potiorek that will manage to take 60,000 casualties in a one-day skirmish against a Serbian division.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Looking a heck of a lot better than it did a few months ago, though still not great in the west.

Be aware, the UK will not actually drop out of the Entente in a single-player game, so don't start banking on that.

I vote you keep pressing the Russians as hard as you can - the sooner you clean up Poland, the sooner you can move some troops west. Out of curiosity, how close is Romania to entering the fray? That could unhinge everything you've got going for you in the east.

As the game goes on, Russia will get weaker and weaker - their reinforcements are abhorrently expensive compared to everyone else, and they don't have nearly as much war supply or cash to pay for them. The casualty ratio you have going against them is even better than it looks on paper.

HannibalBarca posted:

Conrad can do alright. It's Potiorek that will manage to take 60,000 casualties in a one-day skirmish against a Serbian division.

Yeah, Conrad is actually pretty decent, especially given the material he has to work with. I've seen Potiorek win exactly one battle against the Serbs. They were attacking across a river and he took 4-1 losses defending his entrenched position.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

AH is a gift that keeps on giving.

To be fair, if we were playing Entente and taking an ahistorical plan, Piotorek would be in Moscow by September 1914

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I order some limited advances into empty territory – the main thrust is against the enemy force now trapped behind out lines.

We have forced the Italians back into their country – somehow!

Mud and hills mean I have shut down Serbia for now.

With the British gone, I begin to move most troops from Gallipoli.

The march to Cairo continues.

With snow on the ground, I order only one attack in Prussia.

Poland to awaits better weather – although I do hope the Russians attack defensive positions in the snow.

I missed a unit.

We begin to assault the force trapped in Fort Said.

The Italians attack once more.

The Russians attack at Tarnopol

The Turks continue to advance.

A push on Mainz is stopped.

I order no advances on the western front.

The Russians sneak into Konigsburg again.

I reorganise in Poland.

That failed assault pushes me out of Port Siad.

The French launch a mass assault to push us from their country.

We are pushed back from another toehold.

The Crown Prince can not prevent further advances into Germany.

Belgrade changes hands once more.

Things are back and forth on the Italian border.

We withdrew causing 3-1 losses on the enemy, and you call that a defeat?

The Russians are on the move in Albania again.

The British are turning things around in Egypt. I was hoping for more colonial incompetence.

Entente morale continues to crumble – and Russia approach the point where they will start to see rebellion increasing.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Bloody start to the winter. You still have a secure foothold on the Canal for now even if the Brits are counter-attacking? At the very least a bunch of troops there are ones that aren't on the Western Front. How long it gonna take to redeploy the troops from Gallipoli?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Troops from Gallipoli will be needed to repulse Russians from Armenia and maybe help Bulgarians. So many fronts, so few forces.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

alex314 posted:

Troops from Gallipoli will be needed to repulse Russians from Armenia and maybe help Bulgarians. So many fronts, so few forces.

Yeah, I could win any one front easily, but then I'd lose ground on the others!

Looking at things, I think I may be able to try one short hop offensive this year with Hindenburg to take Lodz.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, I could win any one front easily, but then I'd lose ground on the others!

Looking at things, I think I may be able to try one short hop offensive this year with Hindenburg to take Lodz.

Yes, try for that. Warsaw and Lodz crank out a lot of supply, taking one or both of them will help a ton in reducing that pocket.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grey Hunter posted:

I order no advances on the western front.

Would you say it's all quiet there?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I order our men to hold or move to prevent further advances into Germany.

I have a massive superiority in Poland, so we will make a push on Lodz and threaten Warsaw.

We will also attempt to push back the Italians.

We are forced out of France.

We take heavy losses, but I was not sending these guys any more reinforcements.

The Austrians are pushed back at cost.

Their main force is harder to shift.

The British counter attack continues!

Somehow the Bastard French continue their advance.

Hindenburg moves into position north of Lodz, but it seems the Tsar is also in position to try and stop this major offensive.

The French bulge expands like a Frenchman's pants outside a brothel.

An attempt to advance up from behind the Tsar is stopped.

The Entente advance north is worrysome.

This is going to be brutal.

It's a bad month for spies.

The Battle for Lodz begins, the Russians bring twice the men we do, and our commanders pull the assault.

The flanks get pushed again.

We lose hard at Belgrade.

We advance back into Port Siad.

Haig pushes forwards – where is Kitchener.

Somehow the French have 200,000 men in the south.

So many losses. So many dead.

TildeATH posted:

Would you say it's all quiet there?

Hell no.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
Now that the Russians are below 75 NM there is a chance every turn that the bolshevik revolution kicks off?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

At least there won't be any Dolchstosslegende at this rate :v:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

twig1919 posted:

Now that the Russians are below 75 NM there is a chance every turn that the bolshevik revolution kicks off?

I'm not familiar with this game's interface, but aren't the Russians at 78 NM?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah the Russians are at 78, not 75. IIRC, once they do hit 75, then they start losing NM every turn that it's not above 75, and as you can imagine this rapidly death-spirals into the Revolution. It's not instant, though, and they can theoretically pull out of the tailspin by powering through and somehow getting their NM back above 75 to stop the bleeding.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah the Russians are at 78, not 75. IIRC, once they do hit 75, then they start losing NM every turn that it's not above 75, and as you can imagine this rapidly death-spirals into the Revolution. It's not instant, though, and they can theoretically pull out of the tailspin by powering through and somehow getting their NM back above 75 to stop the bleeding.

Yup. It could also collapse really fast, considering they're that low before Lodz or Warsaw have even been assaulted, much less Riga or things actually.... y'know, inside Russia.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

MANime in the sheets posted:

Yup. It could also collapse really fast, considering they're that low before Lodz or Warsaw have even been assaulted, much less Riga or things actually.... y'know, inside Russia.

of course, given that Nicholas outnumbers Hindenburg 3 to 1, not sure how close we are to actually taking either of those

and meanwhile the Western Entente juggernaut is slowly grinding across the Rhine :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Wow. This is getting brutal. Sucks to be losing chunks of the Rheinland.

• Locked thread