Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Vastarien posted:

Anyone have any experience with obtaining additional Live licenses from Ableton? Like, say you’ve used your two activations, and then you buy a new computer. How difficult is it to get another activation for the new computer?

I’ve been on the fence about buying Live forever now because of this. Their "two activations only" policy makes me nervous.

I haven't heard of "2 activations only", recently built a new computer and it installed normally. I had it previously installed on my desktop and laptop.

I have a Resolume license that's "one istallation, thats it, gently caress you" I'm worried about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Vastarien posted:

Anyone have any experience with obtaining additional Live licenses from Ableton? Like, say you’ve used your two activations, and then you buy a new computer. How difficult is it to get another activation for the new computer?

I’ve been on the fence about buying Live forever now because of this. Their "two activations only" policy makes me nervous.

It was easy when I've done it in the past a few times, just e-mail them. Although, the last time I did it I don't remember even contacting them and they didn't seem to be as actively enforcing it?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Vastarien posted:

It's easy, I've done it twice, they're super cool about it.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
OK, Thanks!

I'll probably end up grabbing the standard version the next time they have one of their 20-30% off sales. I have a Lite license that gives me a pretty good upgrade discount, plus a $50 off coupon that came with a midi keyboard that I bought. Should be able to get it for a pretty decent price.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I managed to fix the velocity issue by using ASIO exclusively, but that raises a new question. I have a Focsurite 2i2 and their ASIO driver, but how can I stream a live webcam session (or even just record the video to disk)? With the Focusrite drivers I can have other applications play sound while running Live (unlike ASIO4ALL), but the sound won't register in OBS.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

It was easy when I've done it in the past a few times, just e-mail them. Although, the last time I did it I don't remember even contacting them and they didn't seem to be as actively enforcing it?

Yeah echoing this, I don't think they care at all. I've installed my copy across a bunch of my machines over the years and have never had to get in touch with them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Supersonic posted:

I managed to fix the velocity issue by using ASIO exclusively, but that raises a new question. I have a Focsurite 2i2 and their ASIO driver, but how can I stream a live webcam session (or even just record the video to disk)? With the Focusrite drivers I can have other applications play sound while running Live (unlike ASIO4ALL), but the sound won't register in OBS.

Oh wow, that's great to know. The one application thing was so annoying, now at least I can watch things like Youtube tutorials with Live open.

Or more likely, watch funny cat videos with Live open.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

if you mean that OBS wont pickup your audio from live, then you can use VoxengoRecorder to fix that. Just plop it on the master channel, set the output to MME instead of File, and choose the default speakers driver for your computer. Then hit the start button and it should allow OBS to pick up ableton on the desktop audio source along with everything else.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

d0grent posted:

if you mean that OBS wont pickup your audio from live, then you can use VoxengoRecorder to fix that. Just plop it on the master channel, set the output to MME instead of File, and choose the default speakers driver for your computer. Then hit the start button and it should allow OBS to pick up ableton on the desktop audio source along with everything else.

Unfortunately I'm running 64-bit live, so no luck with Voxengo. I tried Voicemeeter Banana and it works, but my latency goes from 12ms to 68ms which is too high for any decent keyboard playing :(

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
*starts ritual jBridge chant*

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

wayfinder posted:

*starts ritual jBridge chant*

Will Voxengo add much latency though? I don't wanna buy the plugin if If I'm gonna get as much latency as in Voicemeter as it messed up my playing :S

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I can play with the monitor on just fine when the voxengo plug in is running.

There will be like a 150 ms delay between the playing and when OBS hears it, but that doesn't matter because you aren't listening to yourself through OBS

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

d0grent posted:

I can play with the monitor on just fine when the voxengo plug in is running.

There will be like a 150 ms delay between the playing and when OBS hears it, but that doesn't matter because you aren't listening to yourself through OBS

Tried it and this method works flawlessly. Thanks!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I have owned Ableton for about a week now and I'm getting my head around it. It's a lot of fun so far!

One thing I'd like to do (which I'm sure is piss-easy in Ableton, but I don't know how) is to set up each section of a song as a loop, then switch between each section/loop on the fly (EG: Loop 1 = Verse, Loop 2 = chorus etc.)

Struggling to figure out how to do that. Any help?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

H13 posted:

So I have owned Ableton for about a week now and I'm getting my head around it. It's a lot of fun so far!

One thing I'd like to do (which I'm sure is piss-easy in Ableton, but I don't know how) is to set up each section of a song as a loop, then switch between each section/loop on the fly (EG: Loop 1 = Verse, Loop 2 = chorus etc.)

Struggling to figure out how to do that. Any help?

That's what the vertical rows (scenes) in performance view are for. If you want to have multiple clips in a section of the song, you can automate clip changes as well.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

HandlingByJebus posted:

That's what the vertical rows (scenes) in performance view are for. If you want to have multiple clips in a section of the song, you can automate clip changes as well.

Cool!

Um...what?

Is there a quick video tutorial here that somebody could recommend?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

H13 posted:

Cool!

Um...what?

Is there a quick video tutorial here that somebody could recommend?

So first, sorry, I meant arrangement view rather than performance view. Hit tab to switch between them.

Go thee to YouTube and search for "ableton live arrangement view tutorial" and then "ableton live clip automation" and you'll get the goods.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

HandlingByJebus posted:

Go thee to YouTube and search for "ableton live arrangement view tutorial" and then "ableton live clip automation" and you'll get the goods.

Champion! Cheers mate

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo if you are learning the very basics just watch all the tutorials on the ableton site and you should be good to go (you dont really need to watch the Simpler ones at first either)

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/learn-live/

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ahP8lPwIKs

minority report music making

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

is it true that 32 bit ableton can only use 4 gigs of ram? Also, is it possible to have a 64 bit and 32 bit version installed at the same time?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

d0grent posted:

is it true that 32 bit ableton can only use 4 gigs of ram? Also, is it possible to have a 64 bit and 32 bit version installed at the same time?

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209773785-64-bit-vs-32-bit-FAQ

1. Correct
2. Yes

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Ableton's buying Cycling '74: http://cdm.link/2017/06/conversation-david-zicarelli-gerhard-behles/

So, full Max + Gen for anyone with Suite? Would be neat...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/

25% off Ableton, packs and upgrades till June 13th

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Plavski posted:

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/

25% off Ableton, packs and upgrades till June 13th

I wish this included a 25% off the Push2, I would be buying that despite promising my wife I wouldn't make any more big music purchases for a couple months. Yes, making that promise was a super dumb idea.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

Laserjet 4P posted:

Ableton's buying Cycling '74: http://cdm.link/2017/06/conversation-david-zicarelli-gerhard-behles/

So, full Max + Gen for anyone with Suite? Would be neat...

I really hope so, I've learned to love Max 4 Live. I also tried out Max and found it pretty interesting but didn't want to pay for a subscription so Max for free with Suite would be pretty awesome. I imagine Max will become much more integrated in Live come Live 10.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Supersonic posted:

I really hope so, I've learned to love Max 4 Live. I also tried out Max and found it pretty interesting but didn't want to pay for a subscription so Max for free with Suite would be pretty awesome. I imagine Max will become much more integrated in Live come Live 10.

I'm ready to be wrong, but I'm p. sure Max4Live is a full Max7 install that just uses Ableton as a wrapper https://www.ableton.com/en/live/max-for-live/

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
mrsargent id sell u a push1 for a low price. pm me if u wanna.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Hey thread, I'm having a pretty weird model-specific problem with Live 9 Lite.

I'm running Live 9 on a Surface Pro 4.

Live 9, when I play any audio from within the program, only plays the sound over the Surface speakers. I get no sound on my headphones. If I adjust the volume in Windows, I don't get a test sound. If I try the Sound control panel volume settings and test options, it gives an error that another application is using the device.

If I switch Ableton to MME, I get an error at the bottom that says no audio is available, and to select a device. If I select the speakers or headphones as an output device, the error stays up and no audio plays nor registers on the mixer controls. Same situations persist with Windows volume options. Even if I close Ableton, the situation persists. I have to reboot to get sound back.

I went into Sound -> Headphones -> Properties -> Advanced tab and unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device," clicked OK, and relaunched Ableton - same situation persisted, even after rebooting the machine. I re-checked the box and relaunched Ableton, same situation persisted.

In Live audio preferences, I changed the Audio Device from ASIO4ALL v2 to StageLight 64-bit ASIO Driver, and I lose the test tone and Windows sound. Switching it back to v2 returns Ableton sound but no Windows sound. I again have to reboot to get Windows sound back.

Anything I can try here? All I want to do is use the built-in headphone jack to listen to Live as I use it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Did you make everything available to Live in its Prefs?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty broad question... I thought I did, at least in terms of output config.

In the end I was finally able to get audio working over MME. Connect headphones, launch Live, select headphone output under the MME dropdown in prefs, bada bing. I'm guessing this might bight me in the rear end later but I'll have to deal with that when it comes forth.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

Unless posted:

I'm ready to be wrong, but I'm p. sure Max4Live is a full Max7 install that just uses Ableton as a wrapper https://www.ableton.com/en/live/max-for-live/

According to the M4L site it isn't unfortunately. Also, has anyone tried Pallas, the new M4L semi modular synth yet? I'm thinking of picking either that or Serum up at some point.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I can't imagine that Pallas has anything that's much better or different better from massive, but the price is right (serum is also great -- all of the visual stuff, like tracing your envelopes is really fun, and really useful if you're learning how subtractive synthesis works) but I'm all about learning one plugin really really well first.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
I ended up picking up Pallas and have been loving it so far. I find the interface very intuitive and have been messing around creating some pretty sweet sounds.

Another thing is that I picked up a Shure SM58 mic (I have a Scarlett 2i2), but have been having trouble getting effect chains on my vocals right. I've been experimenting with a compressor with 4:1 ratio, a de-esser (Ableton preset), Autotune, saturator, and a bit of plate reverb. With a retune speed of 10-20 and some saturation and de-essing, I can get a pretty nice sounding R&B vocal effect, but how would would I mix rock or something like Ed Sheeran? Using the R&B effect chain things don't sound right, even when I play around with the settings within the chain.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Get your comped vocal in a wave editor and manually gate it by silencing or lowering the volume on breaths. Gates are too arbitrary to get things pixel perfect. This part is really boring and you can go hogwild doing note by note pitch correction and stuff like that until it's a perfect dry take. Reimport it and make two instances of it.

The first one you want to use a gain riding plugin rather than compression so it sounds more natural. EQ it in reference to the whole track, but other than that leave it dry. This is your main vocal track.

The second one you want to offset by somewhere between 4-8ms forward so it has a very slight slapbacky sound to it. It wants to be mixed fairly low in comparison to the main one. Compress this one quite hard, take out a massive chunk of the low end with a shelf eq and add your reverb it. Then you want to apply other temporary effects to this one. Maybe on a chorus you could add some sort of doubling effect or stereo widening or something. Maybe a delay on the last word of a line. Occasionally a bit of overdrive can really help making the vocals on choruses stand out. Basically you use this second track to highlight parts of the vocal as needed.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Any recommendations for a gain riding plugin?

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
The Waves one is very good but obviously Waves priced. There's one by Hornet plugins that does the job. If you've got M4L you can rig one up yourself by attaching an Envelope Follower to the fader of your vocal, but that tends to fall victim to latency. Setting up dummy track of the vocal nudged backwards by a few milliseconds and running the Envelope Follower off that gets good results. However you can do it pretty well manually in a wave editor and that'll probably be enough, or maybe just compress the very top peaks or something.

The idea is to have one main vocal track that's really perfect and totally dry, while all your effects are on another channel which is nudged forward a bit. It's like how you use pre-delay on reverb to keep the verb away from the transients, except your doing it with every effect. You'll recognise the sound of it if you try it, first time I did I was like "ah so that's how you get that sound".

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
I got Pallas and Serum (via the $10 a month plan) and have been loving both. The sequncer on Pallas is a ton of fun, and I've been using it to make some pretty cool bass sounds. My only issue is that it tends to crash a lot, whereas Serum is pretty rock stable. Is crashing a Max for Live thing? I notice I get more crashes than normal with M4L stuff running.

Supersonic fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 4, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Right, so Red Means Recording put out a new video on the Digitakt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYkFCTfEjc

It's a wonderful piece of kit, for sure, but I wonder can the conditional trigger stuff he's doing be replicated in Ableton and Push? Like, easily?

I kinda figure you can use automation to turn effects racks on or off during a midi clip, but that seems like a lot of effort. Is there some weird way of adding in conditional sample variation that I'm missing? I think that somehow Random MIDI and Beat Repeat might come into play.

I'm open to plugins and M4L devices for this too. Conditional triggers just seem a really nice way to add melodic variation to sample patterns but everywhere is sold out of Digitakt's right now. Surely Suite and Push 2 will be able to do this somehow, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Plavski posted:

It's a wonderful piece of kit, for sure, but I wonder can the conditional trigger stuff he's doing be replicated in Ableton and Push? Like, easily?

I didn't watch the video, but why not look into random follow actions for clips?

If you're looking for more generative music making in Live, I just googled this tutorial and it may have some ideas for you.