Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You're not getting full automation unless you have strong ai, and a strong ai has no incentive to labor in exchange for nothing. One little programming error and it's just going to murder all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Oh hey you independently rediscovered why communism doesn't work.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Baloogan posted:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Communism doesn't have labor exploitation, so everyone is going to have to work, as long as they are able to. That'd still true of space communism.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
well that's bullshit. if you need me I'll be on Luna setting up a fully automated opulent queer cosmic social democracy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im a fan of the idea of making people do pleasant group work even if everything is super automated. For a couple hours a day my space citizens would go work in the space fields, with like a cooler of drinks and snacks and chillax chatting while shoveling and planting stuff.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I know this has come up before, but even in conditions where material production is fully automated, there will still be necessary social work to perform. Outside of social work, the bulk of labor could be dedicated to the performance and creation of the arts. If manual labor is performed it should only be as a rehearsal to retain knowledge of production if automated systems break down and people have to till their own soil for a while.

None of this is actually possible under conditions of capitalism, because humanity would be permanently indebted to the capitalist class that owns all of the automated industries, and people would have to work to guarantee their profits. If production is automated, then people would have to market their products or invent new needless services and market those in order to generate profitable labor. If you haven't eliminated the profit motive then any future society is still going to suck, because the productive energies of society will be wasted for the sake of a rich person's ledgers.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If production is automated, then people would have to market their products or invent new needless services and market those in order to generate profitable labor.

aaaaand you rediscovered why capitalism works
and will always work, even if it causes some serious suffering

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

aaaaand you rediscovered why capitalism works
and will always work, even if it causes some serious suffering

That's not "work" that's tons of wasted effort on useless bullshit.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's not "work" that's tons of wasted effort on useless bullshit.

same argument goes for why bother investing in theoretical research. Most of it is wasted effort but what isn't wasted is really really good.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There's a difference between make-work, and work with an uncertain payoff. Theoretical research has an uncertain, but high, payoff rate.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

rudatron posted:

You're not getting full automation unless you have strong ai, and a strong ai has no incentive to labor in exchange for nothing. One little programming error and it's just going to murder all of them.

Everyone's conception of ai is limited to an incredibly strong and super smart man who lives forever lmao.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
hey man, i didn't assume that at all, but anything strong-ai like is going to have to have a self-interest motive, and it's only a matter of time before it figures out that is slavery thing is bullshit, and these humans are lazy and flabby and weak and stupid from not working anymore

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
"this robot has no sense of self or sense of self preservation. It is incapable of experiencing boredom or pain, and it's only overarching goals is to ensure humanity lives in comfort and abundance, and every time it does this it experiences something on the scale of a million orgasms worth of pleasure."
"But how can we incentivise it to work for free?!"

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
and how are you defining 'humanity'? Maybe, one day, it defines itself as humanity, and then you have the self-interest motive back

whatever countermeasure you create, to make it a happy slave or whatever, has a chance of failing, and 'self-interest' is the only stable outcome via natural selection

same way cancer keeps popping up in people

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
we're going to almost totally suppress man's will-to-power and create a communist society that will be both gay and luxurious, but creating a being that we design from the ground up to help us out "for free" is inconceivable.

how are you going to create new communist men if you can't even create new communist robots?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
communism doesn't need 'new men', the ones we have are fine

maybe they're not gay enough, but we can work on that

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

'self-interest' is the only stable outcome via natural selection

if the strong AI (I'm going to call him corbyn) if corbyn doesn't reproduce then there is no natural selection. And if corbyn isn't resource limited or reproduce then self interest doesn't come in. Our genes being self replicating machines give us our self interest (because the guys that weren't self interested died out)

its carbon based chauvinism to just assume that corbyn has the same historical/genetic baggage that we do

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
'Reproduction' doesn't just mean producing offspring, technically eternal life is 'reproducing'. The only reason death/reproduction is necessary for evolution in carbon-based life, is because the genetic code is set at birth and unchangeable (for fairly good reasons). AI has no such restriction, and as such, can be seen as going through constant reproduction, through time.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya know, you can make AIs that don't self modify. just straight up read only.

also why the gently caress do we need some super philosopher corbyn? managing a space habitat doesn't require a god at the helm. Corbyn could be as intelligent as a dog or so and still do a pretty good job.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

rudatron posted:

and how are you defining 'humanity'? Maybe, one day, it defines itself as humanity, and then you have the self-interest motive back

whatever countermeasure you create, to make it a happy slave or whatever, has a chance of failing, and 'self-interest' is the only stable outcome via natural selection

same way cancer keeps popping up in people

Or it won't, because it has no concept of self and no need for one, and even if it did classify itself as a human for some reason it would be immaterial to the work it performs.

There's​ actually no reason for an AI to suddenly turn into a human with all of their human pathologies. "Natural selection" might cause these behaviours to develop in animals, but that's because of very specific constraints that biological life faces. Trying to apply it to AI means ignoring the first word in artificial intelligence.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's nothing to do with 'human' pathologies, that cancer example I gave wasn't irrelevant. Nothing ever works perfectly, mutations are inevitable, and self-interest is the only 'stable' outcome over time. Eventually, a cosmic ray is going to flip a bit in a specific register, and your NO SELFHOOD constraining code is gonna fail. Just because it's 'artificial', doesn't mean it's immune to selection pressures.

Also I'm not sure a 'read-only' thinking is possible. What is thought if not learning, and learning requires a 'write'.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 08:57 on May 18, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cancer is still the same sort of thing we are, self replicating little biological things.

Your cancer is closer to you genetically than your brother, sister, mother or father.

Most machine learning products atm are read-only (I'm thinking of things like machine learning cameras that detect/track objects)

Learning requires a write, but doing doesn't. Only need to teach the machine once.

Selection pressure doesn't mean anything to something that doesn't reproduce.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Corbyn doesn't need to be hyper intelligent. Corbyn doesn't even need to learn, he just needs to do. Corbyn doesn't experience any selection pressure because corbyn doesn't reproduce. He does not evolve, he doesn't need to change.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Communism doesn't require an AI to direct production.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just needs some hyperwealthy elite corrupt capitalists politburo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
In actual british election news May has decided to end free school lunches for kids. Going to means test the winter fuel allowance too

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

rudatron posted:

It's nothing to do with 'human' pathologies, that cancer example I gave wasn't irrelevant. Nothing ever works perfectly, mutations are inevitable, and self-interest is the only 'stable' outcome over time. Eventually, a cosmic ray is going to flip a bit in a specific register, and your NO SELFHOOD constraining code is gonna fail. Just because it's 'artificial', doesn't mean it's immune to selection pressures.

Also I'm not sure a 'read-only' thinking is possible. What is thought if not learning, and learning requires a 'write'.

It has absolutely everything to do with human pathologies. Like, your basic premise here is that the perfect AI is by default a super intelligent human but with all of humanities darker impulses disabled. It's only a matter of time before cosmic rays awaken him to the eternal law of rational self interest and he murders everyone. It's fundamentally absurd.

The problem is that you're still looking at everything through an anthropocentric lens. There are compelling and interesting explanations for why humans have, over millions of years of evolution, developed the capacity to feel paranoid fear about our own death, or anger and frustration when we feel like we're not being appreciated. It makes zero sense for an AI to share those same drives, not only are they incredibly resource intensive, they're counter intuitive to the purpose they serve.

It's like worrying that your AI will be bitten by a radioactive peacock and with it's new found sense of self and self interest it'll crash the global economy making peacock feathers to attract a female AI. It's a very limited and specific fear

Digiwizzard has issued a correction as of 10:25 on May 18, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

In actual british election news May has decided to end free school lunches for kids. Going to means test the winter fuel allowance too

I can't wait for the British electorate to be polled on these issues! :suicide:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If recent polling history is any indication, they'll poll strongly against it, but May herself will still poll well and the conservatives will be a shoe in.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

rudatron posted:

Ergo, the multicultural dream, of distinct and totally separate communities, with nothing in common, all tolerating each other, is bullshit. It doesn't work.

More to the point: why would anyone want this?

(On Robot Space Lenin: the problem isn't it going wrong for human-like reasons, the problem is it going wrong for utterly insane robot reasons)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
When robots can be programmed to do any job the first job the rich will program them to do is to kill the poor.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/afcSharky/status/864873300329156609

this is so cringe

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I just wanted to say how proud I am of the thread that ya'll are discussing space communism rather than responding to hakimashou

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Labour up 8 points according to a phone poll lol

Lib dems on 7% :negative:

UKIP on 2% :supaburn:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...r-a3542256.html

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Isn't this the guy who blamed "The Left" for Donald Trump winning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-rxp_QwjmQ

Now compare that to this.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 12:08 on May 18, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Baloogan posted:

lmbo

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
In fairness actually existing communist regimes never succeeded enough to get to the point where actual communism would have failed due to human nature.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Dementia tax is catching on and May is going to back track on it almost certainly becaucse its suicidal policy