Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I mean, if all this stuff came from one person, they'd be a Deep Throat-level leaker. So yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016
It's kind of weird that a bunch of ostensible political cartoonists are just now trying to come to grips with the concept of anonymous sources.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

It's kind of weird that a bunch of ostensible political cartoonists are just now trying to come to grips with the concept of anonymous sources.

Much like everything else, Anonymous Sources are only good and necessary to freedom and patriotism when they show true facts like the heavily pixelated sheet of graph paper that is actually Obama's "Birth of a Muslim Kenyan Baby from Kenya" Certificate.

When they release information that makes their guys look bad, well, that's when we start treading into cowardice and treason, Johnny.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
We need to thoroughly vet and identify all sources to ensure accura--HIS NAME WAS SETH RICH

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean, if all this stuff came from one person, they'd be a Deep Throat-level leaker. So yes?

The idea that there is just a single guy running around the government that knows everything from launch codes to lunch arrangements is a hilarious one.

200 meter line of reporters stretches out of a dark corner of a parking lot, each passed a red or blue note as they walk by.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

God these blow

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zelda is good, keep it coming please.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
regular gary larson over here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
wait does this mean Tinsley believes in evolution? I'm kinda shocked actually

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Dreamworks face at the end is an inspired touch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is "anti-racist" actually something people will primarily define themselves as?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Only when they're incredibly insecure about their subconscious racism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, it's pretty common among left wing Europeans.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

IDGI.
Who are "we"? :raise:

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Could you collect all your translations in a tumblr or something? Thank you for doing these gently caress the haters

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

So, are we going to see Chris Cornell memorial cartoons? Black hole suns?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Trogdos! posted:

no clue who mark dice is but since this is the Ben Garrison fanclub i'll post this commission here
Mark Dice is a Christian reconstructionist with a political outlook that hovers somewhere between Alex Jones and Jeff "Happy Birthday Hitler" Rense, and an easy match for Dees when it comes to conspiracy-slinging. He first made his name online (to my knowledge) in the 2000s posting as "John Connor," telling people that that Boston Dynamics robots were going to kill us all just lke in the Terminator movies.

so iow just the kind of person that Garrison would have no problem with

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 18, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Despera posted:

God these blow

You mad.

Internet Kraken posted:

I hear it's code for anti-white, so I am definitely anti-racist.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Lurdiak posted:

You mad.

I hear it's code for anti-white, so I am definitely anti-racist.

"anti-racist" is code for anti-white.
"anti-racist is code for anti-white" is code for racist.
therefore, "anti-racist" is code for anti-anti-racist is code for anti-white.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Translation is hard, but translation of transient political labels for subgroups from a different continent? There's gotta be one-to-one equivalents in English.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Discendo Vox posted:

It would be if they actually were. I don't think it's even possible to collect the statistic Rall has made up. There are legitimate purposes for some non-compete clauses, and companies that abuse them find their clauses are unenforceable, or don't bother to enforce them in the first place. It's not an area of particular dysfunction.

Why would Rall make up poo poo that tries to get people on the left to believe civil society is worse than it is?

NPR posted:

STARR: We found that roughly 18 percent of the U.S. workforce is bound by a non-compete currently. Among low-skill workers, let's say without a college degree, it's about 15 percent.

[...]
CORNISH: And so we should mention that back in June, Jimmy John's actually agreed to drop their non-compete clause as part of a settlement with the New York attorney general's office. You know, is there any evidence that companies were actually enforcing these clauses with low-wage workers?

STARR: So there is lots of litigation of non-competes, about 1,500 cases a year. There is certainly evidence of non-competes being litigated against bartenders, manicurists, a number of low-skilled positions.

But there's an important point, which is that the low-wage workers are not necessarily prepared to hire a lawyer and go and fight this thing in court, especially if they're making $7 or $8, $9 an hour.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I agree that translation can be wonky, but I have heard people call themselves anti racist before. Mostly on the internet though. I'm just a tad suspicious of Zelda because some of those conversations on the couch feel like people reporting to each other what they read on the internet lately. Of course, that's hardly unheard of these days.

A lot of the comics here feel like they're written by people who spend a lot of time in internet echo chambers. They still draw their political discussions as physical conversations because that's more dynamic and what people are used to, but don't quite remember what that's supposed to sound like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Duckbag posted:

I agree that translation can be wonky, but I have heard people call themselves anti racist before. Mostly on the internet though.

Its extremely common in Scandinavia. In Norway for example we have an organization called Center for Anti-Racism.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

The Dreamworks face at the end is an inspired touch.

Its called "smirking". Have we really gotten to the point where we only can describe human emotions through memes?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Alhazred posted:

Its called "smirking". Have we really gotten to the point where we only can describe human emotions through memes?
A smirk isn't really an emotion though :smug:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Alhazred posted:

Basically yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8pJt4dK_s4&t=5s

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Alhazred posted:

Shaka, when the walls fell.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You mad.

It is theoretically possible to not like a cartoon without being a secret MRA :shrug:

I don't think Zelda is equivalent to DBD in any way, and I don't think we need to stop posting them or anything, but posting a cartoon in a thread for discussion of cartoons leaves it open for discussion, and there's no need to get so defensive of it.

Nobody ever got called a right-wing infiltrator for talking poo poo about Animal Nuz

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You're inferring a lot from my two-word post.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You're inferring a lot from my two-word post.

What were you implying Despera was mad about?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

loquacius posted:

What were you implying Despera was mad about?

Millenials.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This comic touch a important subject. What is important and what is not important. DUMB people focus on the things that are not important.

To make sure everyone is on the same page, I have made a list of all the important things and all things that are not important.

Things that are important:
Geometry

Things that are not important:
Music.

Things that are neither on can be important for some people, unimportant for other people.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Millenials.

Fair enough. Rest of my post still applies. It's a little weird that we've had unironically-posted cartoon edits showing people who don't like a cartoon getting beheaded, that's all :shrug:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I identify as Gizmos.
e: and hell, any -freak, -nerd, -weirdo, -loser, -dweebo you can think of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's equally strange that Zelda has had more people ask for it to stop being posted than cartoons that contain legitimate hate speech.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tei posted:

Things that are important:
Geometry

Things that are not important:
Music.

where does music about geometry stand in your categorisations? Asking for a friend.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

It's equally strange that Zelda has had more people ask for it to stop being posted than cartoons that contain legitimate hate speech.

Yeah, it's weird that people don't want a cartoon that mostly isn't political posted in the political cartoon thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I have a link for Tei: http://www.harmonisphere.com/SacredGeometryOfMusic.htm

(A more serious link: https://phys.org/news/2008-04-music-geometry.html)

• Locked thread