Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

If they haven't changed this, you can always tear down your own mines and replace them. Last time this happened to me, it still counted towards the mandate. :v:

They did change this, if the mandate is active and you demolish one of what it wants you to build your current progress goes from 0 to -1 and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
So this thing about empty corvettes got me thinking, and I decided to sit down and maybe look at doing a total weapon/ship balance overhaul just to see if I can make combat a bit more reasonable in terms of weapon types (yes including missiles), fleet composition, and technology actually *mattering*.

I have a few design goals in mind, but the main takeaway is going to be that missiles shouldn't be absolute garbage, and that empty/naked corvette really shouldn't be as viable as it is.

So I'd say I'm about 80% done with the weapon spreadsheet. Now I'm going to go tweak all the modules. Anybody want to be a guinea pig when I finish it up?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Mondian posted:

So not being able to build frontier hospitals on gaia worlds, is that a bug/holdover from when they increased habitability or some intentional choice I don't understand?

It's got to be an overlooked holdover. I get that there were more pressing things to get to, but if there's a 1.6.2 I'd like that to get fixed, it's mildly annoying.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

:catstare: + :ohdear:

I think they really got mad at the Unbidden

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mondian posted:

They did change this, if the mandate is active and you demolish one of what it wants you to build your current progress goes from 0 to -1 and so on.

WIZ DON'T READ THIS

tear them down during the election and replace them afterwards

If you don't want to exploit that, just switch to an oligarchy or dictatorship at that point.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ulmont posted:

Agrarian Idyll is amazing, because among other things it means sectors will build unity buildings.

In 1.6.0 (haven't checked 1.6.1 yet), you could start as pacifist with agrarian idyll, shift out of pacifist and still keep the civic, which was great.

Does not work on current build. It flags it as soon as you shift out of pacifism and kills the unity on farms.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

How should I be playing as a fanatical purger? I do well and then all my neighbors declare war at once and I die.

Fanatical purifiers have slightly different starting goals compared to less murderous species. First, you can only count on pops from your own species to man worlds. Pop Growth and food are important before you start conquering, each pop you get is more resources for your war machine. When you conquer or settle habitable words, resettle a few pops onto them to get their production up quickly, the more spread out your people are the faster each individual grows.

Secondly, exploring space is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Don't seek out new resources unless you are ready with the minerals and construction ships to exploit them. Actively avoid contact with any empires unless you're ready to attack them. Destroy each contact before exploring elsewhere, they'll wink out of existence and nobody will be the wiser. If you don't, everyone else who is aware of both of you will get a massive relations bonuses. This causes nasty waves of defensive pacts and dual war declarations. Try to avoid this until you own about 1/3rd of the galaxy, and you should be okay, your fleets are incredibly overpowered. If people do start forming pacts, try and start a war with the species with the fewest allies to break up their combined fleet power.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mondian posted:

The mandates are both super boring and actually disincentivize building modules after you've satisfied the agenda. They desperately need a re-work. More variety, maybe only push for research stations if there are unused resources nearby or something. I avoid playing democracies because, while the influence is nice the micro it involves is annoying and boring.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Clanpot Shake posted:

The mandates are both super boring and actually disincentivize building modules after you've satisfied the agenda. They desperately need a re-work. More variety, maybe only push for research stations if there are unused resources nearby or something. I avoid playing democracies because, while the influence is nice the micro it involves is annoying and boring.

Just ignore them. You can overcome the negatives by just supporting your candidate of choice once. It's nice, free influence if you're going to do it otherwise but if it's a hassle just gently caress it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So is there any way to stop the pop I chemical blissed way back from randomly getting withdrawal symptoms?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Gitro posted:

So is there any way to stop the pop I chemical blissed way back from randomly getting withdrawal symptoms?

Once you pop you cannot stop

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Once you pop you cannot stop

The pops have stopped for over a century!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I asked this earlier but is it a viable strategy to deliberately become a subject of a more benign Awakened Empire to avoid being completely hosed over? I understand the loss of independence (and in this case, slave which will suck for a Xenophobic slaver Empire), but it's that or get attacked by another who has x3 fleet power. Like can they integrate you like a vassal or, beyond whatever wars they charge into, will they let you do your thing?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SkySteak posted:

I asked this earlier but is it a viable strategy to deliberately become a subject of a more benign Awakened Empire to avoid being completely hosed over? I understand the loss of independence (and in this case, slave which will suck for a Xenophobic slaver Empire), but it's that or get attacked by another who has x3 fleet power. Like can they integrate you like a vassal or, beyond whatever wars they charge into, will they let you do your thing?
The downside is that they'll eventually integrate you, which makes you lose the game, and basically the only way to become independent again is to win a war against them.

e: vvv it's possible I'm very wrong!

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 17, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

SkySteak posted:

Yeah I've done this in multiple games, it can be a smart play that makes for a cool independence revolt narrative. Some of their restrictions are way more annoying than others though. My preference from best to worst overlord is Xenophobes > Materialists > Spiritualists > Xenophiles.

Literally never heard of or seen an AE integrate any of its special vassal types. Can they actually do that?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i've been integrated before

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

misguided rage posted:

The downside is that they'll eventually integrate you, which makes you lose the game, and basically the only way to become independent again is to win a war against them.

e: vvv it's possible I'm very wrong!

Integration sucks but my other option is essentially to lose about 50% of my territory to a Materialist Awakened Empire, who being a subject of would hamper my research. The Xenophile AE is not only weaker but allows me to advance and otherwise continue as normal with the added bonus of them being near the front lines of the Scourge.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
Aaaand it's back for 1.6:

Stellar Expansion - Geoengineering

Since the technology exists in Adams now, the buildings simply provide some boosts to terraforming, tile blocker clearing, and negation of the terraformation happiness penalty.

I'll have more on the way, will bring back the Reactors in some form or other.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Mondian posted:

Delete 4 buildings during the election when they don't count for that, then rebuild them afterwards.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So is there some way to move a hivemind pop off a planet while it's being exterminated as an empire that can't resettle, because I didn't check since I assumed I couldn't and I just lost a bunch of planets because I thought the game wouldn't take away control of things I conquered and owned even if they were temporarily empty.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You need to resettle them.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Can you do that even if it's prohibited though?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
As far as I know, you cannot

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The 10 year cooldown on policy changes is really bad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

For real. I'm not even sure what sort of abuse it's supposed to protect against.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It's not meant against a specific abuse so much as making players commit to things, kind of like the law change cooldowns in CK2 or similar mechanics in EU4. I'm honestly not sure why that's controversial, but then again I basically decide on a set of policies fairly early and then almost never change them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's just irritating because sometimes I misclick on whatever option, or I choose a Native Interference policy that I don't realize will piss off a huge faction (and this information is not presented in the UI), and then I have to wait 10 years to change it back to whatever.

Once you've played a few games it's not so bad, but when Utopia first dropped it was annoying as hell.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also the actual effects of your policies can be really unclear and it's nice to be able to play around and experiment. Also sometimes you change your mind about a genocide or mis-click something.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

It's just irritating because sometimes I misclick on whatever option, or I choose a Native Interference policy that I don't realize will piss off a huge faction (and this information is not presented in the UI), and then I have to wait 10 years to change it back to whatever.

Once you've played a few games it's not so bad, but when Utopia first dropped it was annoying as hell.

I'm pretty sure that whenever you click a different policy there's a pop up asking if you're sure and specifically warns you about the cooldown period.

They also added a feature several patches ago that told you what decisions would anger/please please people and how many pops each. Is that not around anymore? With the ethics changes in Utopia it may have been broken.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm pretty sure that whenever you click a different policy there's a pop up asking if you're sure and specifically warns you about the cooldown period.

They also added a feature several patches ago that told you what decisions would anger/please please people and how many pops each. Is that not around anymore? With the ethics changes in Utopia it may have been broken.

Yeah, there's definitely a confirmation dialog and it warns you about the cooldown. I remember it used to say what policies would piss off pops with what ethics (can't remember whether it was in the dialog or in the policy tooltips) but with Banks shifting that effect to factions it may have broken or been removed.

Do species rights have the same cooldown on them? I haven't really gone deeply into the weeds on custom-tailoring racism and genocide (and frankly their effects are a lot more opaque than most of the other policies are), but at the end of the day no tooltip can quickly and easily explain all of the second/third order effects of a policy change in a Paradox game and making all those changes easily reversible would trivialise the decisions. Experiments are what save/loads are for.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dallan Invictus posted:

Do species rights have the same cooldown on them?

Yes. Found that out the hard way playing around with consumer goods.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

For real. I'm not even sure what sort of abuse it's supposed to protect against.

Set stuff to something your guys don't like, do the thing your guys don't like, then set it back and have minimal happiness impact I guess. Like, say, invading a primitive planet or resettling dudes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That pop-up exists for sure, and it's helpful, but doesn't accomplish much when you're in multiplayer and trying to do poo poo quickly.

The bigger issue is that it doesn't tell you up front the effect on faction happiness. That did use to exist in that it told you how many pops would be effected, but that went away when Utopia introduced factions.

Truga posted:

Set stuff to something your guys don't like, do the thing your guys don't like, then set it back and have minimal happiness impact I guess. Like, say, invading a primitive planet or resettling dudes.
Yeah, for Empire policies I guess that's necessary. Probably doesn't need to apply to Species rights though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ulmont posted:

Yes. Found that out the hard way playing around with consumer goods.

As does, weirdly, the default rights setting.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

This is when you load the last autosave (and never, ever play Ironman).

Edit: Ah, multiplayer, well that's a whole different story.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I might have said this earlier, but I don't really even want to play Ironman, since far too often I find that I'm making calls based on almost no information. For instance, when I go to war I usually have no way to find out how strong the enemy actually is, what weapons they use and so on.

So I guess an espionage DLC would be nice.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Baronjutter posted:

My idea would be thus:

- Authoritarian and FanAuth reduce this cooldown to 6/3 years. Hive mind counts as Authoritarian 1.
- Allow early changes for 10 influence per year remaining and add an entire cooldown to the remaining, (if you do it at 4 years left it becomes 14/10/7)

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 18, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

KingLemming posted:

Aaaand it's back for 1.6:

Stellar Expansion - Geoengineering

Since the technology exists in Adams now, the buildings simply provide some boosts to terraforming, tile blocker clearing, and negation of the terraformation happiness penalty.

I'll have more on the way, will bring back the Reactors in some form or other.

Hey KingLemming I really like what you're trying to do but I honestly think some of your mods in the Stellar Expansion lineup are really uninspired and boring. Genetics and Expansion are both just various levels of tiny incremental bonuses that I don't care about. Cloning and Voidcraft are both cool and good but with how many techs are already in the tech deck I'd hate to draw one of yours because they don't do anything interesting. If you want to take my unsolicited criticism on this I'd say condense your techs and make them do new things rather than just give me more of what the game already has.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Is there any way to figure out if another empire is actually purging a population (or otherwise acting like tyrannical jerks)? I mean, I know you can look up what their policy is, but it feels like there's a difference between ethnic cleansing is allowed and ethnic cleansing is a thing we have done/are doing right now.

Also, if you can see that they're doing it right now, it adds a bit of urgency to the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Has there ever been a 4X-style game with an espionage system that was fun and good? I know the rock-paper-scissors ship combat kind of begs for it, but that's because it's fundamentally a really bad system and Stellaris' particular quirks make it even worse.

• Locked thread