Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
i say nigga oval office and human being to all my close friends. strangely they've all lost touch with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jippa posted:

In the UK/Ire calling some one a oval office as an insult is just a catch all word meaning very bad that has no reference to gender.
Maybe within certain subcultures. Not universally.

Tarantula posted:

Uh yea it's a friendly greeting to people you know well and it can be used as a compliment too eg: "dazza is one tough oval office, cunts built like a brick shithouse".
Only in the same way that any insult can be a term of affection between friends.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Maybe within certain subcultures. Not universally.

No, universally.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I have two friends who are sisters, and on Facebook, they often refer to their children as their "minions." It's a stupid thing to even notice and I shouldn't care, but for some reason it gets my dander up every time I see it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good lord it's almost as if the meaning of words is dependent on context. Whodathunk?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Samovar posted:

Whodathunk?

This is a terrible word and I hate it.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Samovar posted:

Good lord it's almost as if the meaning of words is dependent on context. Whodathunk?

But then if you're in a situation where you have to argue that you didn't mean it in an offensive way then you're already using it in the wrong context.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

A friend of mine did a surprise documentary.....about himself. He did it over a few months, and it's actually getting shown in a small theater here. What's it about, other than himself? How most people have watched 2k movies in their lifetimes, but he is up to 10k and will keep going. I don't understand how anyone can tally that poo poo, and who would care, let alone WHO IS GOING TO SEE A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT A GUY SELF-FELLATING HIMSELF with pants on.

I have a friend who's in her young twenties and is a self-proclaimed writer. She kept updating her social media accounts about her book she was working really hard on, with like, an entire wall filled with post-it notes, all the stress she's having, etc. I was like cool! You're working really hard! Can't wait to read it!

And then I found out it was her memoirs and more than half of the book consisted of the time she backpacked through Asia one summer. Who the gently caress cares about that, you're like 22 years old, in what reality would anyone else other than you find this interesting.

At least she finished the book though :shobon:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
On a related note, it makes me unreasonably angry when people call themselves a "writer" or "artist" or "musician" or whatever when they have never truly successfully done it for a living, let alone made any money off of it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I'm a writer

of shitposts

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

On a related note, it makes me unreasonably angry when people call themselves a "writer" or "artist" or "musician" or whatever when they have never truly successfully done it for a living, let alone made any money off of it.

Gamer.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Amateurism is a thing my dude

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"I'm a biker."
"Oh yeah do you make money riding your bike?" :smuggo:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"I'm a wanker"
"Oh yeah do you make money from .... no wait don;t answer that"

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

People who call themselves and other "Gamers"

Like what the gently caress. If I come home from my job as a painter, mow the lawn, do the dishes and then play some video games. It does not make me a painter-gardener-dishwasher-gamer.

It makes me a painter who sometimes plays games on my spare time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't remember who said it but there's a quote along the lines of "if you write, you're a writer, if you get published, you're an author."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Catberry posted:

People who call themselves and other "Gamers"

Like what the gently caress. If I come home from my job as a painter, mow the lawn, do the dishes and then play some video games. It does not make me a painter-gardener-dishwasher-gamer.

It makes me a painter who sometimes plays games on my spare time.

This reminds me of a little thing that does not make me angry but rather amuses me: adding "Pro" to the names of home dental care products. Like "Pepsodent Professional" as if there are professional tooth brushers and all that Elmex poo poo is for amateurs?

e: Also a gamer is a person who plays video games but also hates women.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

"I'm a biker."
"Oh yeah do you make money riding your bike?" :smuggo:

It's implied. If you don't do it for a profession then you are just a guy who draws/writes/whatever as a hobby. At least call yourself an amateur or something.

It's the same with any profession. I couldn't rightfully call myself an astronomer until I got hired as one. Until then I was just a guy with a degree who wanted to be one.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jerry Cotton posted:

This reminds me of a little thing that does not make me angry but rather amuses me: adding "Pro" to the names of home dental care products. Like "Pepsodent Professional" as if there are professional tooth brushers and all that Elmex poo poo is for amateurs?

e: Also a gamer is a person who plays video games but also hates women.

as someone who enjoys video games but is not a human garbage scow imagine what it's like playing with these people when there's a woman on the team :ughh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's the same with any profession. I couldn't rightfully call myself an astronomer until I got hired as one. Until then I was just a guy with a degree who wanted to be one.

Oh hey can you tell my future?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

as someone who enjoys video games but is not a human garbage scow imagine what it's like playing with these people when there's a woman on the team :ughh:

I've never really played multi-player on-line games with anyone except friends so that's a completely foreign world to me. But I imagine it's a barrel of laughs and good times for everyone?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The best thing to do with a woman on your team is to have them say something and then mute voice chat forever on the other team

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Claiming a thing/person is someone's "spirit animal". It's incredibly obnoxious.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I'm a blogger

I'm a citizen journalist

I'm a YouTube personality

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm a photographer!

(takes blurry phone photos of wildflowers and street signs and uploads hundreds of them to Facebook)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

I'm a photographer!

(takes blurry phone photos of wildflowers and street signs and uploads hundreds of them to Facebook)

And then gets indignant and claims the blur is intentional and is a technique from japan or whatever when people laugh at their lovely pictures.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
People who post itt so often you can tell that they are truly the most obnoxious thing in their own lives.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Claiming a thing/person is someone's "spirit animal". It's incredibly obnoxious.

On that note, the phrase "This [such-n-such] is everything!" Usually in the context of a pile o puppies or a guy who make figurines or some poo poo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

On that note, the phrase "This [such-n-such] is everything!" Usually in the context of a pile o puppies or a guy who make figurines or some poo poo.

Bonus points if it "restores their faith in humanity".

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being a girl in a chat room and getting only pms for cybering. Sometimes its straight up and obvious with the "hey *random compliment* do you have skype?" and stuff, but sometimes they try to pull "Oh no, I would never even think of asking for that! Let's just talk. About what hypothetical sex with me would be like. In detail." Luckily they are easy to kick from rooms.

I do have to give props to one guy, he opened with "I hope you have a 24 hour vet nearby because I am about to destroy that pussy". How could you not give it up with an ice breaker like that?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Chat rooms are still a thing? :confused:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

TBH I've been surprised at how little of this I've seen in the years I've played games. I even have a tendency to pop in to random parties that pubs invite me to and its not uncommon for a woman to be in there and I've yet to really see any obnoxious sexism. Even if the party ends up being a bunch of annoying gamer bros.

That may very well just be the games I play though. I'm also virtually never in public chat. I'll make a party even when I'm playing alone so I don't have to listen to them.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chat rooms are still a thing? :confused:

Yep, now with cams and youtube video functions and ability to play games like cards of humanity knock offs with people. Chat rooms have come to the future, its pretty neat when you have cool interesting people from around the world. Also when people get super wasted on camera, thats fun too.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

veni veni veni posted:

TBH I've been surprised at how little of this I've seen in the years I've played games. I even have a tendency to pop in to random parties that pubs invite me to and its not uncommon for a woman to be in there and I've yet to really see any obnoxious sexism. Even if the party ends up being a bunch of annoying gamer bros.

That may very well just be the games I play though. I'm also virtually never in public chat. I'll make a party even when I'm playing alone so I don't have to listen to them.

There is actually surprisingly little of it in Overwatch, and a lot of women play it. The poo poo you do see is the angry shitlords who think they're gods at the game and rage at their teams for every mistake, major or minor, real or imagined.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

why are you running your bath on and off after midnight

why did you wake me up at 6am running your bath on and off that early

why

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress is setting off motherfucking fireworks on May loving 18th!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Snoo posted:

why

Are you sure it's not a washing machine or something?

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

why

Some people work late at night, or early in the morning. M-F 9-5 is not universal.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Snoo posted:

why

I'm starting to think your problem is having very good hearing and not having loud neighbors. Someone running their bath shouldn't be waking you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I'm starting to think your problem is having very good hearing and not having loud neighbors. Someone running their bath shouldn't be waking you.

I don't know about "good hearing", maybe just being incapable of living around other human beings. People make sounds. If you live in close proximity, you'll hear some of those sounds. If you can't tolerate that, go live by yourself in a cave like the crazy hermit you are obviously meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It never seemed like noise in general was the problem there, just excessive noise. Noise is a part of living in apartments, sure, but there is a threshold where a person can reasonably expect their neighbors to stay under. If they are regularly waking you up at normal sleeping hours, it is probably beyond that threshold and complaining is warranted.

Still, as you learned in your last place I think, I doubt complaining will do anything so unfortunatrly you will probably have to make do with earplugs or something.

• Locked thread