Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's more that I think Robert E. Lee, as one of America's most famous and successful generals, ought to have some sort of monument even if he was a slave-holding Confederate son of a bitch.

Nah. To paraphrase a discussion elsewhere today (I live in New Orleans, so this has been all over), the forces of the Confederacy all fought for what we rightly judge to be evil aims. To highlight and honor sacrifices and efforts made in the service of evil is to highlight and honor evil.

...and this is one of the few points that the Louisiana Black Legislative Caucus and Richard Spencer agree on, in fact, that Confederate monuments highlight white supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

It's more that I think Robert E. Lee, as one of America's most famous and successful generals, ought to have some sort of monument even if he was a slave-holding Confederate son of a bitch.

He distinguished himself bearing arms against the United States in the service of a treasonous rebellion and his monument should have been a noose, a stout elm and an unmarked grave.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Heh, no? Fame and temporary successes in the service of an evil cause deserve scorn, not monuments. Lee betrayed his country in a time of crisis to save a horrific policy of slavery, and caused the deaths of thousands of loyal men fighting for democracy and equality. It is nearly as disgusting to idolize him as to idolize Nazi generals.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

crossposting something i learned in the political forwards thread today in response to me making a joke about george washington setting his slaves free after he died

I agree that that earns him a monument, but he better make it count because he's not getting any more

Lee freed Custis' slaves after 5 years, as mandated in the man's will. Lee had a plantation to run. You didn't think he freed them without puttting them to work first, did you?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ulmont posted:

Nah. To paraphrase a discussion elsewhere today (I live in New Orleans, so this has been all over), the forces of the Confederacy all fought for what we rightly judge to be evil aims. To highlight and honor sacrifices and efforts made in the service of evil is to highlight and honor evil.

...and this is one of the few points that the Louisiana Black Legislative Caucus and Richard Spencer agree on, in fact, that Confederate monuments highlight white supremacy.

Hey, like I said, I was feeling generous. Ideally the monument would be in Appomattox next to a much larger statue of U.S. Grant.

We should put up a statue of Spoons Butler in New Orleans and Bill Sherman in Atlanta and Savannah. And blow up Stone Mountain.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

And blow up Stone Mountain.

alternatively, make an addition by carving Pac-Man next to Davis and make the whole thing a permanent mockery of what it's supposed to represent

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Someone [tell] me about howitzers in the Napoleonic wars.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would support a monument recognizing Robert E. Lee's contribution in the Mexican-American war. Then put a big loving asterisk on there at the end.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVOzMZ4IrMA

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Do you think Germany should have one of Rommel? And that guy was at least involved in the plot to assassinate Hitler.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

feedmegin posted:

Do you think Germany should have one of Rommel? And that guy was at least involved in the plot to assassinate Hitler.

Nah. Lutjens on the other hand...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is going to suck, and I'll probably see it on opening day.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

I was hoping it would be entirely about Churchill trying to get the Allies to do a naval invasion, following him from WWI and his plan to invade Northern Germany, to the debacle at Gallipoli and then finally going through every possible permutation of a naval landing until D-Day.

Hell, same.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

war movies, we just can't quit you

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Judging from the trailer, they're portraying Churchill as less than one tenth of the raging rear end in a top hat he was - immersion ruined.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Make a monument depicting Lee being punched by a black guy.

Alternatively: Lee already has a monument to his 'success'. It's called the Arlington national cemetery.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

Make a monument depicting Lee being punched by a black guy.

Alternatively: Lee already has a monument to his 'success'. It's called the Arlington national cemetery.

:thurman:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Holy gently caress, no. In fact, every time Rommel's name comes up somewhere in the Bundeswehr, it always causes a giant scandal. Because Rommel was a stout defender of Hitler for most of his reign. Only when Hitler went full on retard at the end of the war did Rommel even contemplate breaking with him. And he wasn't "involved" in the assassination plot, he was asked to join but refused.

Goebbel's brother has a better claim to a monument, considering he secretly worked to save as many Jews as he could.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As far as the United States was concerned Lee had one job, which was to lose. He was merely rather incompetent at that for a while.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Holy gently caress, no. In fact, every time Rommel's name comes up somewhere in the Bundeswehr, it always causes a giant scandal. Because Rommel was a stout defender of Hitler for most of his reign. Only when Hitler went full on retard at the end of the war did Rommel even contemplate breaking with him. And he wasn't "involved" in the assassination plot, he was asked to join but refused.

I'm still baffled why the gently caress they named a destroyer after him in 1969?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Id presume that it was because a lot of the people in German defence at the time were veterans of WW2 and remembered him fondly and the Navy is the only branch that really gets to name things after people given the established naming schemes for armored vehicles.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there were way more nazis in german postwar life than you'd think

it was even worse in italy, mussolini's granddaughter is active in politics right now and she's 100% unreconstructed

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

HEY GAIL posted:

it was even worse in italy, mussolini's granddaughter is active in politics right now and she's 100% unreconstructed
Yep

My uncle has a parrot called 'Benito' that knows how to say 'Sporchi Communisti!'

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Fun fact: Rommel's son was the Mayor of Stuttgart for a while in the 70's, and became friends with both Patton and Monty's kids around that time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lütjens was about as anti-Nazi as you could be and still reach flag rank in Nazi Germany. He ignored directives to kick Jewish officers out of the Kriegsmarine when he was the head of the personnel office, wrote a formal complaint about the Nuremberg laws to his superior, and refused to perform the Nazi salute even in front of Hitler.

If he'd survived the Bismarck sortie he would have definitely been one of the July plotters.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAIL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJRUDaw8DJE

So viele alte Kameraden!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tias posted:

Judging from the trailer, they're portraying Churchill as less than one tenth of the raging rear end in a top hat he was - immersion ruined.

I think these days this is the only Churchill I can tolerate now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

He distinguished himself bearing arms against the United States in the service of a treasonous rebellion and his monument should have been a noose, a stout elm and an unmarked grave.

If this attitude had been the prevailing one in the North after the war ended, the aftermath would have been much uglier.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phanatic posted:

If this attitude had been the prevailing one in the North after the war ended, the aftermath would have been much uglier.

A sentence you can basically only write if you don't think 100 years of Jim Crow aka no rights for Black people was particularly 'ugly'.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So, who here loves soldier slang? I just discovered a fantastic gem on Project Guntenberg!

The 1811 DICTIONARY OF THE VULGAR TONGUE is the perfect guide to the less than stellar slang of the Napoleonic Wars. It also includes some stuff from prisoners, students and other civilians the military stuff of course being very easily to identify.

I'll post the preface and a few examples below!

quote:

The merit of Captain Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue has been long and universally acknowledged. But its circulation was confined almost exclusively to the lower orders of society: he was not aware, at the time of its compilation, that our young men of fashion would at no very distant period be as distinguished for the vulgarity of their jargon as the inhabitants of Newgate; and he therefore conceived it superfluous to incorporate with his work the few examples of fashionable slang that might occur to his observation.

But our Jehus of rank have a phraseology not less peculiar to themselves, than the disciples of Barrington: for the uninitiated to understand their modes of expression, is as impossible as for a Buxton to construe the Greek Testament. To sport an Upper Benjamin, and to swear with a good grace, are qualifications easily attainable by their cockney imitators; but without the aid of our additional definitions, neither the cits of Fish-street, nor the boors of Brentford would be able to attain the language of whippism. We trust, therefore, that the whole tribe of second-rate Bang Ups, will feel grateful for our endeavour to render this part of the work as complete as possible. By an occasional reference to our pages, they may be initiated into all the peculiarities of language by which the man of spirit is distinguished from the man of worth. They may now talk bawdy before their papas, without the fear of detection, and abuse their less spirited companions, who prefer a good dinner at home to a glorious UP-SHOT in the highway, without the hazard of a cudgelling.

But we claim not merely the praise of gratifying curiosity, or affording assistance to the ambitious; we are very sure that the moral influence of the Lexicon Balatronicum will be more certain and extensive than that of any methodist sermon that has ever been delivered within the bills of mortality. We need not descant on the dangerous impressions that are made on the female mind, by the remarks that fall incidentally from the lips of the brothers or servants of a family; and we have before observed, that improper topics can with our assistance be discussed, even before the ladies, without raising a blush on the cheek of modesty. It is impossible that a female should understand the meaning of TWIDDLE DIDDLES, or rise from table at the mention of BUCKINGER'S BOOT. Besides, Pope assures us, that "VICE TO BE HATED NEEDS BUT TO BE SEEN;" in this volume it cannot be denied, that she is seen very plainly; and a love of virtue is, therefore, the necessary result of perusing it.

The propriety of introducing the UNIVERSITY SLANG will be readily admitted; it is not less curious than that of the College in the Old Bailey, and is less generally understood. When the number and accuracy of our additions are compared with the price of the volume, we have no doubt that its editors will meet with the encouragement that is due to learning, modesty, and virtue.

Some examples!

quote:

ALL NATIONS. A composition of all the different spirits
sold in a dram-shop, collected in a vessel into which
the drainings of the bottles and quartern pots are emptied.

GROG-BLOSSOM. A carbuncle, or pimple in the face, caused by drinking.

RESURRECTION MEN. Persons employed by the students in anatomy to steal dead bodies out of church-yards.

TO VAMP. To pawn any thing. I'll vamp it, and tip you the cole: I'll pawn it, and give you the money. Also to refit, new dress, or rub up old hats, shoes or other wearing apparel; likewise to put new feet to old boots. Applied more particularly to a quack bookseller.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So an interesting thing about my family history is in regards to my grandfather and my great-uncle on my Italian side.

The only thing that I have ever been told about the Second World War by my grandfather is that he was sent to a training camp while Sicily was underway. A bombing raid occurred and the trainees, himself included, were being kept in the barracks by a sergeant, but eventually were able to convince him to let them go. My grandfather ended up on a river side, and a bomb sent him flying into the river, where he was about to drown, when suddenly another bomb blew him back to shore and he managed to make his way home. He never really wanted to talk about the war and it was clear that it had affected him deeply.

My great-uncle was captured by the British in Ethiopia and by the time he came back home, he was still a fervent Fascist. This was attributed to the fact that he hadn't been in Italy during the Italian invasion/takeover by Germany/partisan action, and hence he held on to those beliefs. My uncle was affected by the fascist beliefs of my great-uncle, hence why he is a fascist himself. Thankfully my dad was left-leaning.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alchenar posted:

A sentence you can basically only write if you don't think 100 years of Jim Crow aka no rights for Black people was particularly 'ugly'.

That's a sentence you can basically only write if you can't distinguish between degrees of ugliness. You think if the North started rounding up and executing everyone who served in the CSA that things would have gone *better* for blacks in the south?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hard to imagine how it could've been worse.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

We really need to get past this notion that the only reason Jim Crow happened and that things were lovely for blacks was the failure of reconstruction. It goes way, way deeper than that. You never have de jure segregation in the north, for example, but you sure as poo poo had de facto segregation caused by the every day racist BS that white people in the north were doing. The second you see the Great Migration kick off you have serious racial tensions in the north and a lot of the same ugly bullshit that made the south so unpleasant. This is something that MLK noticed and talked about frequently, especially as it related to housing.

Racism was also far deeper rooted in the south than people who say that hanging Jefferson & Lee would have fixed things seem to understand. It penetrated society to a very deep level, far beyond the planter class that made up the south's political elite.

The problem is that most people are looking at the US as it stood in the 1950s and drawing conclusions from that. Race relations in the north started getting significantly better starting around the 1930s/1940s, but even then there were still major injustices and tensions. If you look at the US as a whole in, say, 1910 the north is pretty lovely as well.

Race in the US is a deeply hosed issue that goes way beyond whether the southern planter class was allowed to move on after the ACW.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

It's true. Forgiving everybody was key to burying resentments the war caused. As for Lee, he may have been on the wrong side, but like a lot of people in the Confederacy, he was fighting for reasons *other* than slavery.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nah. Lutjens on the other hand...

Or Canaris. He really hamstrung military intelligence which did the allies a lot of good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Hard to imagine how it could've been worse.

Imagine like Iraq for the last 15 years but even worse for ethnic minorities.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You never have de jure segregation in the north, for example, but you sure as poo poo had de facto segregation caused by the every day racist BS that white people in the north were doing. The second you see the Great Migration kick off you have serious racial tensions in the north and a lot of the same ugly bullshit that made the south so unpleasant. This is something that MLK noticed and talked about frequently, especially as it related to housing.

Yep. There's a reason why people fly the traitor's flag in ex-Union states.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Yep. There's a reason why people fly the traitor's flag in ex-Union states.

Yesterday I was eating at a restaurant and some guy at the table next to me was holding court for his companions talking about how he's had this Nazi flag that his dad gave him in his closet for the last 40 years and he was lamenting that he can't display it because, and I swear to god this is true, "because the astigmatism against Nazis is so bad". He then said that these days, you can't even buy a Confederate flag anywhere but you can buy an ISIS flag.

I don't think he was a Nazi or an out and out white supremacist, he was just a white guy in his 50s who likes WWII, but goddamn that's some ignorant poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think the equivalent of the Nuremburg trials and denazification for the confederates would have been a vast improvement on how things turned out.