Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Martytoof posted:

Makes sense, thanks. But then the bouts with no envelopes just didn't get any interest from sponsors?

AFAIK, that is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Also they can only sponsor the match itself, not any particular outcome. So, often when there's be a popular young guy going up against a yokozuna for the first time there'll be a poo poo-ton of sponsor money, almost all of it meant as an incentive for the up-and-comer. But when the yokozuna hands him his rear end anyway, he gets to keep all the money as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys. The stuff surrounding sumo is super interesting too, it turns out :)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Partial Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDY8_T70jrc

Endo beating Kisenosato was surprising - winning by tsuppari doubly so.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

Interesting result in the Tochinoshin-Ura match. Can anyone clarify why the outcome was decided like that?

Tochinoshin's hand clearly touched outside first, but they gave the match to him regardless because Ura's body was 'dead'

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You can put a hand down to protect yourself from injury and the move was such an obvious one sided attack.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah, it's one of those grey areas where they try to decide on a case by case basis, but in this match Ura was flipping through the air with no control of his movements as a result of Tochinoshin's move, so it was ok for T to put his hand out. If Ura had been falling in a way where he had enough control to pull his arms back, or some other thing to try and arrest his fall, and Tochinoshin still put his hand out first they'd probably have given it to Ura or called a redo.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Also they can only sponsor the match itself, not any particular outcome. So, often when there's be a popular young guy going up against a yokozuna for the first time there'll be a poo poo-ton of sponsor money, almost all of it meant as an incentive for the up-and-comer. But when the yokozuna hands him his rear end anyway, he gets to keep all the money as well.

The technical name for that is kensho, and that's all correct. Half the kensho goes to the Sumo association and the other half goes to the winner of the bout. There's always an uber-detailed thread on kensho for each basho on our favorite sumo site.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I think this might have been him. I remember him bouncing back and forth between the top tier and just below that. Thanks!

And Takanoyama is the Czech guy I was looking for, thank you!

Yup, Asahisho, not to be confused with Asashio - a name that has been held by yokozuna and ozeki in the past.

Pretty sure that Kisenosato thought that Endo had put his knee down, and that split second of hesitation was all it took to leave himself wide open. That's the kind of mistake you'd never see Hakuho make.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

You can put a hand down to protect yourself from injury and the move was such an obvious one sided attack.

I think it's more to protect the other guy. Like here, T could have landed on Ura's face and crushed him if he didn't put his hand down. But if somehow his move had caused him to go away from Ura and he still put his hand down, then it could be argued that his attack was bad as he was also out of control, but that gets into the whole realm of ref decision that is controversial in any sport.

Another example would be if you dominate so much you can pick the other guy up and carry him, you can just walk out and gently put him down rather than slamming him on his back or even dropping him outside.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu delivered an awesome win :cool:

Fryhtaning posted:

The technical name for that is kensho, and that's all correct. Half the kensho goes to the Sumo association and the other half goes to the winner of the bout. There's always an uber-detailed thread on kensho for each basho on our favorite sumo site.

This is great info, thanks!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 18, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Kisenosato definitely hesitated when Endo slipped, that's not the sort of mistake he should be making

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Tsaedje posted:

Kisenosato definitely hesitated when Endo slipped, that's not the sort of mistake he should be making

Jason made the comment that he looked like he thought Endo hit the mat with his hands, which on replay was completely reasonable, but yeah. "Don't stop until you hear a whistle" is pretty much the first thing every coach has ever taught an athlete. Kisenosato seems like something is distracting him this basho and it's not a good look.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What are the chances that his arm is still jacked? He seemed to be able to use it well enough but that may not be an indicator of pain or discomfort.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Martytoof posted:

What are the chances that his arm is still jacked? He seemed to be able to use it well enough but that may not be an indicator of pain or discomfort.

seems like chances are pretty good. And aside from the injury from last basho, on day 1 of this tournament someone fell on his arm when he fell out of the ring...hakuho I think?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 5 second half only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwJYBvDzt2I

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 18, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hakuho is starting to remind me of NOAH-era Misawa as the slightly over the hill legend who wants to keep proving he's still on top.

That forearm/elbow smash he keeps using isn't exactly hurting the comparison either.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

seems like chances are pretty good. And aside from the injury from last basho, on day 1 of this tournament someone fell on his arm when he fell out of the ring...hakuho I think?

100% that his arm/pec are nowhere near healed. Also, it was his foot that someone fell on, but that didn't seem to affect him too much. He had pretty amazing footwork to survive all those trip attempts in that last match, so I think it's all about not being able to push and pull like he normally can.

I think Hakuho is going to wrestle until his body falls apart at this rate. I think his foot is the most nagging injury he has, but until he starts doing worse than say, Kakuryu, I don't think he's going to quit.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You can see kisenosatos pec is still collapsed during the HD dohyou iri when he doesn't have the tape holding it together. I don't think he's had the muscle reattached or repaired yet.

You could see in the chiyoshoma fight the arm is just laying on chiyoshomas back without doing anything, where normally that's be an instant grab and throw.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 18, 2017

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I'm sure there's some macho poo poo or fresh promotion reasons for him not pulling out, but watching Kisenosato wrestle without a left arm just isn't entertaining. Every one of his matches is just kind of painful in one way or another. Dude needs to pull out, get well, and come back ready to compete.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ETbfgr989w

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

stabbington posted:

I'm sure there's some macho poo poo or fresh promotion reasons for him not pulling out, but watching Kisenosato wrestle without a left arm just isn't entertaining. Every one of his matches is just kind of painful in one way or another. Dude needs to pull out, get well, and come back ready to compete.

It isn't just him, either. There are some stunningly bad performances going on this basho in the upper ranks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dang, was hoping Takayasu could keep steamrolling. That bummer aside, Terenofuji's bout was really fun.

There's a very distinct thing that the gyoji yells during most/all bouts, repeatedly. Anyone know what that is or what it means? Googling is being surprisingly useless today.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its nokotta or 残った which means 'remains' or 'both guys are still in the ring' and basically as long as he is yelling both wrestlers know they haven't stepped out yet. It is kind of like a inverse whistle. I think its done this way instead of a sound when someone steps out because it covers up the grunting noises a bit (no containing Tochinoshin though)

The stuff at the beginning of the bout can be:
matta nash(i) : no more waiting (i becomes a bit silent)
te-o tuite: please put the hands down
te: hands!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf41FGniv9k

lol @ the flippiotoshi, haven't seen anything quite like that before.

Kisenosato is the man for fighting well through his injury, but I wish that he and other wrestlers didn't have to. I get that it's tradition, but it feels wrong that these guys don't have a chance to heal up without plummeting down the rankings. Imagine how much better Terunofuji would be at this point if he healed up properly and didn't fight hurt through all those bashos.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 20, 2017

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Queering Wheel posted:

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf41FGniv9k

lol @ the flippiotoshi, haven't seen anything quite like that before.

Kisenosato is the man for fighting well through his injury, but I wish that he and other wrestlers didn't have to. I get that it's tradition, but it feels wrong that these guys don't have a chance to heal up without plummeting down the rankings. Imagine how much better Terunofuji would be at this point if he healed up properly and didn't fight hurt through all those bashos.

I'm sure it also severely limits their career length, at least as much as carrying all that extra weight. These guys are incredible athletes and I hate seeing them fight hurt.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdEJAyeWlNA

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Uncle Jam posted:

Its nokotta or 残った which means 'remains' or 'both guys are still in the ring' and basically as long as he is yelling both wrestlers know they haven't stepped out yet. It is kind of like a inverse whistle. I think its done this way instead of a sound when someone steps out because it covers up the grunting noises a bit (no containing Tochinoshin though)

The stuff at the beginning of the bout can be:
matta nash(i) : no more waiting (i becomes a bit silent)
te-o tuite: please put the hands down
te: hands!

Also:

hakke-yoi, which is roughly "show some spirit".

Kimura Yodo, the gyoji on the screen capture for the day 8 video (and objectively the best gyoji) notably uses this during the tachiai.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Endo beats ozekis and yokos and loses to everyone else in a exact reversal of his typical outing. Bizarre.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Endo has a really weak schedule left so there is a good chance he'll get his 8+ wins. But, there might not be enough room to promote him into sanyaku which would be funny.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

Endo has a really weak schedule left so there is a good chance he'll get his 8+ wins. But, there might not be enough room to promote him into sanyaku which would be funny.

If Giku gets demoted and Takayasu gets to 10 wins, things might work out for him.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGgLLuG2ZFc

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Takayasu vs Hakuho tomorrow should be a must-see.

Oof, I hope Harumafuji's leg is ok - looks like he was walking on it pretty gingerly after his match.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h95ekO8QlsU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That was a really dramatic and dynamic day.

So far, getting back into sumo now, my favorites are definitely Ishiura, Ura, and Takayasu. Their matches have been really entertaining this basho.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was an awesome watch. So many rikishi flying. Bummed that Takayasu lost that but it was an exciting match so I can't be too upset.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Yeah, Takayasu has nothing to be ashamed about there. Hakuho was in full-on "test the guy who wants a big promotion" mode and held his own quite respectably.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kise is out. Considering he barely held his own against the lower ranks, he was probably going to get rocked by the O/Ys and 6-9 or 7-8 would have been likely so it was probably a smart decision if a little late. Sucks that we didn't get to see how a healthy Kise run could have kept going, but hopefully he's healed for next time and these fights don't set him back.

Takayasu's been good so far and 2-3 for Ozeki should be doable for him. He's got harumafuji and terunofuji which should be tough but even if he loses both of those, he should be able to take 2/3 against anyone else in the field.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That withdrawal just might have saved Goeido's rear end, since it means one more lower-ranked sacrificial lambguy he'll have to face to stave off demotion.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_KYOriQf_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Aoiyama bad or is he just having a bad tournament? Today looked like the first time he put up much of a fight.

I ask as someone who tuned in probably halfway through the last tournament so I don't have much history.