Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I was meeting buddies at a bar, Ed carpenter was at the liquor store next door. Got a bottle signed and a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

devmd01 posted:

I was meeting buddies at a bar, Ed carpenter was at the liquor store next door. Got a bottle signed and a picture.

Nice!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

devmd01 posted:

I love these indy 500 edition booze bottles

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Marshall Pruitt killing it this week if you're into hearing old guys talk about the indy 500 like me.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Norns posted:

Marshall Pruitt killing it this week if you're into hearing old guys talk about the indy 500 like me.

This also, with Robin Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwGGnljxKBE

lol AJ Foyt

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Take one

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Part of me suspects you're posting this less because of the cheap beer, and more because you scored a cool Indy 500 poster.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

drat that thing is cool. Really hoping they have a ton of cheap posters in the HOF store again when I go to the Brickyard in July.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I could grab the poster, stiff them the bill, and go out the back door, but that just isn't my style. I just like how everything Indy pops up all over town in the month of may.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anybody been to Sarah Fisher's karting track?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yep, vendor event. We had the track to ourselves for an hour. I won the tournament, once I figured out the chicanes it was all about a smooth line. Nice facility, nice karts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The oval track is surprisingly exhausting. Road course is fun as long as nobody bins it at the downhill hairpin (they will).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Norns posted:

I love these indy 500 edition booze bottles

we don't get em out west and it makes me sad

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

that karam number is real tasty tbh

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What's the line on JR?

Edit: I'm blind. 25/1, ehhhh.

My dad had Taku at 100/1 in 2012... and Rossi at the same odds last year :getin:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

What's the line on JR?

Edit: I'm blind. 25/1, ehhhh.

My dad had Taku at 100/1 in 2012... and Rossi at the same odds last year :getin:

I'm still trying to think of a race where a driver became an overnight star like Rossi did after that race.

I mean I heard an urban legend that Rick Mear's mother threw a fit about how there was no Rocket Rick gear at IMS in '79 for example. I'm talking about a driver who didn't have name recognition like the rest of the field prior to winning it.

e: Danny Sullivan? I mean he was 4th in points in '84 would be the only thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rossi's win was amazing, and was the thrilling conclusion the 100th running needed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As far as big surprises, Rice in 04 (although the Panoz/Honda was the package to have), Al Unser winning his 4th in a car that was sitting in a lobby as a showcar just weeks before, Wheldon in 2011 (although they were good in practice), Lazier in 96 with a broken back.

There are some older races with bigger surprises but thats all before my time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The oval track is surprisingly exhausting. Road course is fun as long as nobody bins it at the downhill hairpin (they will).

Dang. Track sounds good.

[Edit] also Wheldon in 2011 is the answer. That will always be such a bittersweet one. Imagine JR in that case too...one corner left!

harperdc fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 18, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

As far as big surprises, Rice in 04 (although the Panoz/Honda was the package to have), Al Unser winning his 4th in a car that was sitting in a lobby as a showcar just weeks before, Wheldon in 2011 (although they were good in practice), Lazier in 96 with a broken back.

There are some older races with bigger surprises but thats all before my time.

I mean Rice was on the pole and his team did win the pit stop competition so it wasn't -too- shocking. Part of me wonders if Kanaan, Wheldon, Fernandez, Junqueira or Meira would have won had the race gone full distance though. Unser Sr.'s and Wheldon's wins are definitely apart of Indy lore.

Lazier's win was impressive. I think edging out Guerrero during that race is pretty incredible considering his track record (pun half intended) at IMS, Indycar. The broken back win is underrated. It feels like he and rice are very low key "500" champions when compared to the other names out there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Dang. Track sounds good.

[Edit] also Wheldon in 2011 is the answer. That will always be such a bittersweet one. Imagine JR in that case too...one corner left!

WIBC had a special on about the "best 33" in Indy 500 history and Davidson talked about how much of a de facto PR guy Wheldon was for the seires all things considered. Saying it was almost worth paying him 2 million for how he championed the race, series.

It feels like his legacy and his spirit is carried on via how a lot of the drivers interact with fans. I know that sounds crazy, but I really get that vibe with a lot of them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It must be said that Lazier's win was overshadowed for reasons beyond his control. Namely AOWR politics and the laughable quality of the 1996 field.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

When we have our mega Indy 500 goon meet can we do this please?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

WindyMan posted:

There was a great F1 Goon meet in England a few years back and we did karting in Milton Keynes. Great way to spend the day, as long as you don't mind getting worn out and sweaty with a bunch of neckbeards.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

We should probably attempt that again some time. Especially now my biggest competition has hosed off back to the states.

*waves at McMadCow*

Downhill hairpins at indoor circuits are fun, Cardiff teamsport has one, complicated by the fact you take off shortly before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVw3U0w-L30

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SI Karting looks so goddamn rad

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

Lots of people gonna get hosed on Andretti.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

I'd like to second the commenter there and ask what the heck +700 means?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It's 7/1 (and +800 is 8/1). I don't know why it switches between systems unless it has to have four characters in the odds column.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

I'd be down, never been there before despite walking past it multiple times

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Theris posted:

It's 7/1 (and +800 is 8/1). I don't know why it switches between systems unless it has to have four characters in the odds column.

Just a gambling carryover

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hinch being a favorite to win :kimchi:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

WindyMan posted:

IRL GoonCar

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

wicka posted:

Anybody been to Sarah Fisher's karting track?

I have gone several times. I love the facility, as others have said and the karts are in really good shape. It is probably the best-run facility in the Midwest and is my favorite kart track. And man, that oval is surprisingly tough on you.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hinch being a favorite to win :kimchi:

He's in the top 5 but the current favorites according to that are Marco and RHR. I wonder if people think M Andretti is Mario?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Marco did have the fastest lap in any practice so far, but he's doing that traditional "Start off strong, dies in the end" thing he does.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

Marco did have the fastest lap in any practice so far, but he's doing that traditional "Start off strong, dies in the end" thing he does.

He will peak once more. Possibly get pole. Then he will never get close to that performance again.

Was his lap in tow?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

He will peak once more. Possibly get pole. Then he will never get close to that performance again.

Was his lap in tow?

Yes it was. I think Dixon had the fastest day 1 non-tow lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Alonso on why he's doing the Indy 500.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/fernando-alonso-indy-500-mclaren-honda-andretti/

ed- this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqz-citUnI

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 18, 2017

• Locked thread