Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well Hojo doesnt have a stupid loser idiot gimmick so her 10 years in nxt before she gets released should be fine

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I have no idea who Hojo is, apparently she has a pirate gimmick and Macho Man's old finisher and people get rather pissy about her. What makes her better than the last failed pirate in the WWE, Winston Burchill?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no idea who Hojo is, apparently she has a pirate gimmick and Macho Man's old finisher and people get rather pissy about her. What makes her better than the last failed pirate in the WWE, Winston Burchill?

She has invested a lot (time and money) into her gimmick, unlike Paul Burchill. Also as for why you should know her, shes legitimately the second or third best female wrestler in the world. The only people I would put above her are Io Shirai and maybe Mayu Iwatani.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

She has invested a lot (time and money) into her gimmick, unlike Paul Burchill. Also as for why you should know her, shes legitimately the second or third best female wrestler in the world. The only people I would put above her are Io Shirai and maybe Mayu Iwatani.

It's good to know that she's good, I've checked out a match of hers on Youtube and she seemed impressive. On the other hand I don't care much for best in the world-lists because I vaguely remember Sasha Banks being called that at one point or another and look at her now. Also, I haven't seen anything in that match that necessitates a pirate gimmick, so while it's cool that she has a gimmick she is personally invested in, I find it a weird hill to die on. If she has the talent and enthusiasm to make a pirate gimmick awesome, she can make other gimmicks awesome.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

DarkstarIV posted:

asuka's better than hojo i'd say, although a good bit older. after signing shirai and hojo though, wwe has probably 3 of the 5 best women's wrestlers in the world. becky lynch is probably the best they have, as far as westerners/"home grown" go. i just hope that shirai and hojo don't hang out in nxt too long, they're absolutely good enough for the main show.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Grendels Dad posted:

gently caress you Burchill was amazing.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I wouldn't bitch about Hojo's elbow until I see her do a different finisher. Nothing is set in stone yet, even if Dave is reporting on it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vaguido posted:

I wouldn't bitch about Hojo's elbow until I see her do a different finisher. Nothing is set in stone yet, even if Dave is reporting on it.
Same, has Bayley even won moves off her bad elbow drop?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

achillesforever6 posted:

Same, has Bayley even won moves off her bad elbow drop?

Apparently she won at Wrestlemania with it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

just do the same move and insist that it's a flying rib smash

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
HUGE FLYING FOREARM DROP!!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

gently caress you Burchill was amazing.

The most amazing and also the least surprising thing about Burchill was that apparently Vince hadn't heard about Pirates of the Caribbean until way after Burchill did his pirate thing. Vince was probably "Yeah sure why not" when he was approached about the gimmick.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Grendels Dad posted:

The most amazing and also the least surprising thing about Burchill was that apparently Vince hadn't heard about Pirates of the Caribbean until way after Burchill did his pirate thing. Vince was probably "Yeah sure why not" when he was approached about the gimmick.

Burchill's pirate gimmick was okay overall, until Vince decided to repackage him into a supposed incest couple with Katie Lea. At least that's what I heard.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

Burchill's pirate gimmick was okay overall, until Vince decided to repackage him into a supposed incest couple with Katie Lea. At least that's what I heard.

I vaguely remember watching at the time, and being nonplussed by the outrage. This is one of those cases where Vince's capacity for gross weirdness overshadowed what was visible on screen.

Now imagine what happens when Vince discovers Game of Thrones.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Speaking of STARDOM talent coming over, Dave's also thinking that Io Shirai won't be in the Womens Tournament, mostly due to timing issues. She just recently signed, has yet to announce her farewell (but the announcement will probably be soon, as she was just replaced as head trainer at STARDOM's training camps), do her farewell tour, and drop their big title.

Can't really blame WWE for this one.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Trip Larsen posted:

Push Erick Rowan to the loving moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGlcT93IbKk

:agreed:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

he had, for gently caress sake.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

RacistGuidingLight posted:

this post reads like a god drat ketchup steak wrap

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Calm down.

The way I remember reading it (on here, btw) was that Burchill had seen the movie/was aware of the movie's success, suggested the gimmick, and it got greenlighted even though Vince had no idea pirates were in at the time. If that's not the case I'll try to remember that, but it's also 100% less funny.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

It's good to know that she's good, I've checked out a match of hers on Youtube and she seemed impressive. On the other hand I don't care much for best in the world-lists because I vaguely remember Sasha Banks being called that at one point or another and look at her now. Also, I haven't seen anything in that match that necessitates a pirate gimmick, so while it's cool that she has a gimmick she is personally invested in, I find it a weird hill to die on. If she has the talent and enthusiasm to make a pirate gimmick awesome, she can make other gimmicks awesome.

Someone earlier said it's not really a full gimmick since she's not meant to be portraying a pirate or anything. She's just a wrestler who likes pirate stuff.

Kind of like Becky with the steampunk I guess.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rebecca is a real steam punk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Besides The Brian Kendrick is already a pirate.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grendels Dad posted:

Now imagine what happens when Vince discovers Game of Thrones.
I'm trying to imagine what Vince's version of
the Red Wedding would be like.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
NXT is good.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Eli Wiggum posted:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I posted this before, but for anyone who wants to see Shirai and Hojo compete, here it is again. A fairly recent match that is great.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7uy8HqaL8Hab5mmPk4

I'm sorta hoping their rivalry carries over into WWE. They are pretty much the female versions of Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens, feud wise. (at least before WWE)

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 18, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

:golfclap:

I miss Kane.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Aphrodite posted:

Someone earlier said it's not really a full gimmick since she's not meant to be portraying a pirate or anything. She's just a wrestler who likes pirate stuff.

Kind of like Becky with the steampunk I guess.

Her shirt that says "I am real pirate" would beg to differ :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grendels Dad posted:

Calm down.

The way I remember reading it (on here, btw) was that Burchill had seen the movie/was aware of the movie's success, suggested the gimmick, and it got greenlighted even though Vince had no idea pirates were in at the time. If that's not the case I'll try to remember that, but it's also 100% less funny.

My vague memory is that Burchill pitched it with Johnny Depp in mind, and Vince was thinking of Douglas Fairbanks.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

DarkstarIV posted:

This week in news that should shock you but won't: Kairi Hojo won't be allowed to do the elbow drop because it is Bayley's move, according to WWE. At least thats what Dave is saying.

gently caress this

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
does reduced ability for creative, outdated thinking, or decrease in match quality really come as a surprise about anyone who signs with the fed

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
this company turns everyone they sign into a family friendly nutrient slurry devoid of any excitement, why would it ever change

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

the elbow drop thing makes no sense to me

finn and seth both do slingblades

seth and fandango both do falcon arrows (and apparently its fandango's finisher!)

seth and owens both do frog splashes

like half the roster does superkicks as a signature or finisher

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fire Seth, do more elbow drops.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I sent the elbow thing in to Dave, claiming that Dewey Foley had said it. never expected it to come across as reliable information

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't know if we still talk about wrestling dreams we've had, but I had a doozy last night and I don't know what it means. So, Randy Orton was fighting someone in the ring and I don't remember all of the details about that, but then Paul Bearer walked out onto the stage. And it was like that time Kane returned and blew the roof off of the place. So Paul Bearer walks out in his little red coat, and the place starts going ballistic and out comes another Randy Orton except he's in the style of Kane. And then, for whatever reason, another Randy Orton comes out but he has bright white hair and a robe and he's very clearly a version in the style of Ric Flair. And he's strutting and everything.

And that's basically all I remember but I really hope this happens at Backlash to even the odds against Jinder and the Bollywood Boyz.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Eli Wiggum posted:

This match is probably going to have a similar mortality rate.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Eli Wiggum posted:

Wrestlemania 32

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Only when Tamina is in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

It's going to kill more than the Red Wedding since it'll kill an entire crowd, not including the people watching at home.

• Locked thread