Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I would really like to see the return of Rocket Arena, but with the Q3 launcher and not this one. :arghfist::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

GuyonthecoucH posted:

There are a lot of potentially good angles for grenades on the new maps, shame they removed them. All the guns feel like a step back from either their quake 3 or quakeworld counterparts. The models aren't memorable and take up a lot of screen space, hopefully they'll add in all the missing options from quake live for centering, hiding and gun model opacity.

Rockets, delay aside feel like they are slower than the quake 3 ones. The 10 damage bonus to rail on zooming feels out of place. Nails don't have any knock back like they do in quakeworld. The damage doesn't seem as high as plasma so it lacks the threat that this type of gun used to have. Shotgun feels good, so does lg, bug aside.

The best part about the game is Sacrifice, I'm a sucker for anything ctf like and I hope when they do classic mode they roll in all the movement types together into a single class that everyone plays as. Combining crouch sliding with quakeworld air control and quake 3 strafe jumping for long stretches with the ability to wall jump sounds more fun than the base game, but I'm a huge movement grog and that's probably not appealing for everyone.

I think the plasma was great because it acted as a visual deterrent and could obscure shots/panic people. I wonder if the hitboxes are a lot smaller for the nails as well.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I consider nail and PG to be the same gun. Would be nice if the nail gun had a better visual indicator of where the shots are coming from though.

(Hot take - PG jumping was overrated and was really only useful on dm13 if you couldn't get 125fps for the mega jump in the early Q3 days.)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The nail shots should be made more distinct for both the attacker as well as the defender. Makes both sides more skill based.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Make 'em superheated nails, please both sides.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

NG does have small aoe with knockback on it, you can climb with it just like plasma

as mentioned the grenade launcher probably won't be coming back as it's too spammy and it would completely ruin the Sacrifice game mode

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

cougar cub posted:

I consider nail and PG to be the same gun. Would be nice if the nail gun had a better visual indicator of where the shots are coming from though.

(Hot take - PG jumping was overrated and was really only useful on dm13 if you couldn't get 125fps for the mega jump in the early Q3 days.)

Ehhhh not sure I agree on this. Plasma imo is a superior gun: has a tiny bit of splash damage, better accuracy, and most importantly it's one of the highest dps weapons.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

It would be such a buzzkill to get momentum built up and leap ahead of the grenades you launch because the projectile speed wouldn't increase with your bunny hops.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

NG does have small aoe with knockback on it, you can climb with it just like plasma

as mentioned the grenade launcher probably won't be coming back as it's too spammy and it would completely ruin the Sacrifice game mode

Ammo constraints can fix grenade spam instead of limiting options available to the players. This works for quakeworld 4v4 and that has a way more lopsided set of weapons.

Nails working for wall climbing is cool.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

This game is alright but I wish the characters didn't constantly spout dumb catchphrases and I keep trying to double jump and wall run but it doesn't work!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If they can make nails emit particles effects, that'll be enough to make it comparable to the plasma gun. Nail gun does seem to shoot faster though.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
TDM sucks

Edit: Spawns are bad

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

GuyonthecoucH posted:

Ammo constraints can fix grenade spam instead of limiting options available to the players. This works for quakeworld 4v4 and that has a way more lopsided set of weapons.

well I'm referring to the Sacrifice game mode, which requires you to sit in the obelisk zone for several seconds to steal the soul. That would become way more difficult if the defenders could lob grenades without getting within line of sight. At least with rockets they have to peak out and get shot at.

For the other game modes (revealed so far anyways) I think the grenade launcher would be perfectly fine. Maybe if enough people beg for it they can add it and just disable it spawning in Sacrifice.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I can't hit poo poo with the ng at all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Same. The nails feel like they're firing out quickly but traveling bizarrely slow and having someone in your sights doesn't mean poo poo with it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The more I play the more I just dislike most of the weapons compared to their Q3 versions. Nothing feels quite as good to shoot.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think it's a weird rear end choice to have different damages for the starting weapons and the ones you pick up

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Yodzilla posted:

Same. The nails feel like they're firing out quickly but traveling bizarrely slow and having someone in your sights doesn't mean poo poo with it.
Yeah, you're not supposed to point it at someone. You have to lead your shots.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think it's a weird rear end choice to have different damages for the starting weapons and the ones you pick up
the whole point of a game like this is that you start out with weak stuff and gotta get good stuff on the map

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Yeah exactly ^^^ and on a positive note, the super shotgun feels pretty great. Worthwhile to have good aim with that and it's so strong at close range.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

IronicDongz posted:

Oh I know it's not hitscan. It's hard to explain it just feels off for some reason.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

the whole point of a game like this is that you start out with weak stuff and gotta get good stuff on the map

I meant the starting variants for the three guns doing different damage than the shotgun, machine gun, and nailgun you pick up. They don't even have that listed on their website.

I've only seen a few streams of it because I'm out of town though, so maybe it's less confusing when you're actually playing.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 17, 2017

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I meant the starting variants for the three guns doing different damage than the shotgun, machine gun, and nailgun you pick up. They don't even have that listed on their website.

I've only seen a few streams of it because I'm out of town though, so maybe it's less confusing when you're actually playing.

You have improved versions of the starter weapons on the map, unless you mean something else entirely. Starter machine-gun > Heavy machine-gun, Starter shotgun > super shotgun, Starter nailgun > super nailgun.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What weapons have increased damage on zoom? In the previous beta it was all of them.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
So what starter weapons do you guys use? I use the shotgun.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Machine gun, easiest to deal consistent damage with.

Starting SG you have to get so drat close to deal decent damage... I was expecting it be more like the QW shotgun - too bad.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

MG is probably the best

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yeah, MG is standard best. Nail Gun can be good if you can lead. Shotgun.... uh... just stick to MG or NG.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I hit much more consistently with careful aiming and timing than with constant movement tracking and prediction. Shotgun and railgun are great, but I'm next to useless with the lightning and other two starters. Upgrading it by picking up a second shotgun gives it a real boost too.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Starting shotgun would be decent if the pummel didn't deal 500+ DPS. When you're already up close, there's no reason to not just go for the humiliation.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

all the gun designs look like friggin exercise equipment and they sound terrible

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

What weapons have increased damage on zoom? In the previous beta it was all of them.

just rail (90) and super mg (10)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cougar cub posted:

Machine gun, easiest to deal consistent damage with.

Starting SG you have to get so drat close to deal decent damage... I was expecting it be more like the QW shotgun - too bad.

The super shotgun is basically quake 3 shotgun, and I like having that be a pickup and not something you start with. Thing is, most maps don't even have a spawn for it :shrug:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 18, 2017

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

so far i like this game a lot.
im mostly about 1v1 in quake, and i thought i was gonna hate all the ability stuff, but actually the whole hero thing is making duels way more interesting for me.
there's a new element of theorycrafting and strategy that i think will be more obvious to the pedestrian than things like item timings and weapon control are.

that said, gently caress the nailgun i want plasma
e: also seconding that if the spawn shotgun worked like the QW shotgun i'd probably start picking it

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

juggalo baby coffin posted:

all the gun designs look like friggin exercise equipment and they sound terrible

Yeah they're super not great. It's like the Michael Bay Transformers school of design, lots of details with zero personality.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

The super shotgun is basically quake 3 shotgun, and I like having that be a pickup and not something you start with. Thing is, most maps don't even have a spawn for it :shrug:

every map has a spawn for every weapon

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Took me a long time to remember where the shotgun spawn is for that aztec map. It's a really out of the way room when I think about it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I liked Quake and Unreal Tournament is this game worth trying?

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah they're super not great. It's like the Michael Bay Transformers school of design, lots of details with zero personality.

Had the same association, but I think it's intentional, the gun models you can buy are more interesting. There's Q3 mg, Q2 rail, Q1 rocket, and something else. They are bought with the currency you get by destroying other cosmetics, I broke down all crap I got over six or so levels and only got to a third of the amount needed to buy one gun, maybe they'll make them cheaper in the future. I can probably buy one of them now, the rail maybe.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zaphod42 posted:

beaten but super shotgun is on every map

btw making hard turns around corners while going fast as Slash by sliding is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kashuno posted:

I liked Quake and Unreal Tournament is this game worth trying?

Very much so yes.

I just downloaded the new UT again after a bit to try the new mode and, uh, I was surprised at how much I didn't like it. The weapons all feel way better than Quake Champions but it's kinda ugly and I felt so goddamn slow.