Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weato
Oct 29, 2010
Pillar owes Bautista big time for diverting media attention towards another one of his *game ruining* batflips, as opposed to the real story.

The Pillar thing still won't go away quietly​ in Toronto, but it doesn't seem to be getting much coverage on the ESPNs...at least compared to breaking news story "man violently smashes round object with wood, but according to peers does not then lay said piece of wood down gently enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

I've wondered this since I was like 7 and a big kid hit me with a pitch but I've never actually asked it: why don't baseballers wear hockey style pads on their lead arm and hand?

edit - other than Barry's performance enhancing armor of course

It costs between 2-10 thousand dollars each and they tend to only last for one game (though sometimes they break down during the game).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I googled the arm pad thing and came across this gem

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/news/barry-bonds-hr-record-tainted-by-elbow-armor/

"This is unfortunate, because by my estimate, Bonds? front arm ?armor? may have contributed no fewer than 75 to 100 home runs to his already steroid-questionable total.
Bonds tied Henry Aaron?s home run record of 755 on Saturday night and will go for the new standard this week back at home in San Francisco. "

"2) The apparatus locks at the elbow when the lead arm is fully elongated because of a small flap at the top of the bottom section that fits into a groove in the bottom of the top section. The locked arm forms a rigid front arm fulcrum that allows extraordinary, maximally efficient explosion of the levers of Bonds’ wrists. Bonds hands are quicker than those of average hitters because of his mechanical “assistant.”"

"4) Bonds has performed less well in Home Run Derbies than one might expect because he has no excuse to wear a “protector” facing a batting practice pitcher. As he tires, his front arm elbow tends to lift and he swings under the ball, producing towering pop flies or topspin liners that stay in the park. When the apparatus is worn, its weight keeps his elbow down and he drives the ball with backspin."

welp question answered

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Can we stop giving Curt Schilling attention in this thread

And also everywhere that is not this thread too.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Pancakes posted:

Jason Motte is a very nice man who used to throw FASTBALLS but then had TJS so now he's just a nice guy with less facial hair for whom I want good things. In short, gently caress Kevin Pillar both for yelling homophobic slurs and for yelling them at a Cool Dude.

Motte was also a really good cheerleader for the Cubs.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

I googled the arm pad thing and came across this gem

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/news/barry-bonds-hr-record-tainted-by-elbow-armor/

"This is unfortunate, because by my estimate, Bonds? front arm ?armor? may have contributed no fewer than 75 to 100 home runs to his already steroid-questionable total.
Bonds tied Henry Aaron?s home run record of 755 on Saturday night and will go for the new standard this week back at home in San Francisco. "

"2) The apparatus locks at the elbow when the lead arm is fully elongated because of a small flap at the top of the bottom section that fits into a groove in the bottom of the top section. The locked arm forms a rigid front arm fulcrum that allows extraordinary, maximally efficient explosion of the levers of Bonds’ wrists. Bonds hands are quicker than those of average hitters because of his mechanical “assistant.”"

"4) Bonds has performed less well in Home Run Derbies than one might expect because he has no excuse to wear a “protector” facing a batting practice pitcher. As he tires, his front arm elbow tends to lift and he swings under the ball, producing towering pop flies or topspin liners that stay in the park. When the apparatus is worn, its weight keeps his elbow down and he drives the ball with backspin."

welp question answered

This whole controversy spawned a great av/fantasy team logo:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know how old your son is but if Jorge Posada (my favorite player growing up) said some hosed up poo poo and I found out that my mom knew but didn't tell me and let me go on thinking the world of him, I'd feel a little betrayed.

Yeah, that's part of the dilemma

Pillar before now has generally been seen as a pretty good guy too, he does lots for kids charities in Toronto. :sigh:

bewbies posted:

I've wondered this since I was like 7 and a big kid hit me with a pitch but I've never actually asked it: why don't baseballers wear hockey style pads on their lead arm and hand?

edit - other than Barry's performance enhancing armor of course

Several do now

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't know anything about Motte so I googled to see if he was actually gay or not and he's apparently married to a nice lady that helps him with cancer charities for kids.

To my knowledge there are no active openly gay players at the Major League level. I was going to talk about David Denson being the only active openly gay player in an organization, but he retired during spring training. :shrug:

quote:

In a surprise to no one, I did find some other boards talking about this and a lot of people brushing it off as locker room talk and not seeing what the big deal was. "Those guys teammates probably call each other fags all the time, it doesn't mean anything. You probably only cross the line if you use the n-word"

This is sad and hosed up.

edit:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah, that's part of the dilemma

Where is the dilemma? Tell him. Make it a teachable moment or something.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
We forgot about Mike Piazza already?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Suspend and trade Kevin Pillar.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

will_colorado posted:

you and your lovely weather, Minneapolis.

Yeah this is not a very cool week.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So what's the contract situation for Kang and the Buccos? Because I imagine they'd prefer to not have to pay him if he's going to jail....

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So what's the contract situation for Kang and the Buccos? Because I imagine they'd prefer to not have to pay him if he's going to jail....

I saw that the sentence is suspended for like, 6 years or something. I would imagine his being unable to re-enter the US must be covered by a clause in the contract though, right?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I feel like the Astros may lose the Cleveland series. It just feels like we eventually have to lose one after so many in a row.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That was my first impression of what Pillar said on the replay last night but nobody made a thing of it at the time so I figured it was "what the gently caress" or something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

I feel like the Astros may lose the Cleveland series. It just feels like we eventually have to lose one after so many in a row.

I hope so!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

ComposerGuy posted:

We've already lost one series to them (one of the two series losses we have this season, the other being to the Royals)

No game today, looking forward to hopefully a strong weekend series

Astros status: still flying high like Gurriel's hair

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Intruder posted:

Astros status: still flying high like Gurriel's hair

It's like a separate team member all on its own.

I wonder if it can field at 1st base.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

As a gay jays fan this whole this is getting way overblown and fast. Its all over the radio this morning. I hear that phrase all the time at pro and amateur sporting events.I hear it on my softball team that is half filled with gays, lesbians, EMTs and cops. It doesn't have to mean "lets round up the gays". It was a stupid and hateful thing to say, and I am sure he regrets saying it, but he wasn't saying it with the intention to insult gay people in general. If I remember correctly, Pillar was one of the vocal Jays when they were interviewed a year or two ago about the leafs "everyone can play" initiative supporting gay athletes in pro and amateur sports. He isn't John Rocker. He just said a stupid phrase. I really dont see it any different then if he called the pitcher a little bitch.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

It's like a separate team member all on its own.

I wonder if it can field at 1st base.

As much as I love Gurriel's hair, OPSing .700ish at first base while being a butcher in the field isn't going to cut it

Trade for Freddie Freeman immediately

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Intruder posted:

Trade for Freddie Freeman immediately

He died :(

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

patonthebach posted:

As a gay jays fan this whole this is getting way overblown and fast. Its all over the radio this morning. I hear that phrase all the time at pro and amateur sporting events.I hear it on my softball team that is half filled with gays, lesbians, EMTs and cops. It doesn't have to mean "lets round up the gays". It was a stupid and hateful thing to say, and I am sure he regrets saying it, but he wasn't saying it with the intention to insult gay people in general. If I remember correctly, Pillar was one of the vocal Jays when they were interviewed a year or two ago about the leafs "everyone can play" initiative supporting gay athletes in pro and amateur sports. He isn't John Rocker. He just said a stupid phrase. I really dont see it any different then if he called the pitcher a little bitch.

It was the last thing my ex heard before he was knocked unconscious after he came out in high school, so the word definitely has a lot more weight to some people than others. I try to at least call people out on it every time I hear it. It's a slur that's way too commonly heard, especially when sports are involved.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya there's a reason that we need to have right to play and similar organizations just to allow people to play sports and there's a reason there aren't openly gay athletes in most major male sports.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh right

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It was the last thing my ex heard before he was knocked unconscious after he came out in high school, so the word definitely has a lot more weight to some people than others. I try to at least call people out on it every time I hear it. It's a slur that's way too commonly heard, especially when sports are involved.

Thats absolutely horrible. I am thankful I live in Canada and basically haven't had any real threats of violence because of my sexuality in my life. I still want to make a distinction using a mean word does not neccesarily make an athlete a homophobe. Yes, he needed to apologize and I am sure he feels terrible. I don't think he actually hates gay people based on his other interviews. He is not Curt Schilling or John Rocker though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If he apologized and is sincere I see no reason to lambaste him. If anything, it draws attention to how using the word was wrong and how even he recognizes he made a mistake

Hopefully the apology isn't "I'm sorry if anyone was offended"

pee pee doo doo

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the locker rooms etc that Pillar grew up in you heard gay slurs constantly. That sort of thing takes a long, long time to work itself out of your vernacular, especially when you're emotional about something. That doesn't make it ok, but it also doesn't mean that Pillar is MLB's Fred Phelps.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

To my knowledge there are no active openly gay players at the Major League level. I was going to talk about David Denson being the only active openly gay player in an organization, but he retired during spring training. :shrug:

I am absolutely sure that there are gay dudes that play baseball, just like there are ones that play NFL. They just know what would happen if they were to come out and it's probably not worth it for them and it's sad as hell. Look what happened with Michael Sam in the NFL - there was SO much attention thrown his way. Granted, he turned out to be not very good but everyone was so focused on him being gay that it had to mess with him a little bit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's more a reflection on the culture that still exists in baseball dugouts/locker rooms and I'm sure it's even worse in the minors. You would think by now people would have deleted it from their vocabulary as you mentioned you still hear it from time to time. I've heard it on occasion in my rec league once or twice.

It's something that should be called out regardless if the player specifically meant to be homophobic or not. It's the only way the whole locker room culture will change, if guys feel they will be scrutinized for saying that kinda stuff.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Michael Sam's combine was historically bad it's not hard to see why teams passed on him

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pillar's apology was a joke.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

I am absolutely sure that there are gay dudes that play baseball, just like there are ones that play NFL. They just know what would happen if they were to come out and it's probably not worth it for them and it's sad as hell. Look what happened with Michael Sam in the NFL - there was SO much attention thrown his way. Granted, he turned out to be not very good but everyone was so focused on him being gay that it had to mess with him a little bit.

Something similar happened with that one basketball player. I don't remember his name (maybe Jason something?), I don't follow basketball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jason Collins was 35 when he came out and also not very good

He was 7 years removed from averaging more than 3 points a game or 3 rebounds a game as a center

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

In the locker rooms etc that Pillar grew up in you heard gay slurs constantly. That sort of thing takes a long, long time to work itself out of your vernacular, especially when you're emotional about something. That doesn't make it ok, but it also doesn't mean that Pillar is MLB's Fred Phelps.

Is anyone calling him MLB's Fred Phelps though? I like Pillar, but he hosed up badly here and needs to be held accountable.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If any of you yelled a gay slur audibly after you hosed up doing your job you'd be in HRs office so fast your head would spin. Don't pretend that because these guys play sports that they need to be held to a different standard.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

Michael Sam was a fringe NFL prospect at best and all the attention he got from coming out is probably the reason he got drafted at all so I think it worked out pretty well for him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Michael Sam was a fringe NFL prospect at best and all the attention he got from coming out is probably the reason he got drafted at all so I think it worked out pretty well for him.

Yeah I'm sure all the negative attention he got was just washed away by the money he made, you're right.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

Jason Collins was 35 when he came out and also not very good

He was 7 years removed from averaging more than 3 points a game or 3 rebounds a game as a center

John Amaechi similarly.

There's obviously better gay players in major sports leagues who have gotten the message to keep their mouths shut till long after retirement, or take it with them to the grave.

In conclusion, gently caress sports.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah I'm sure all the negative attention he got was just washed away by the money he made, you're right.

He got a lot of positive attention too. Also he probably didn't make much money since he didn't even make the final roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Patrick Spens posted:

Is anyone calling him MLB's Fred Phelps though? I like Pillar, but he hosed up badly here and needs to be held accountable.

People are saying he should be run out of town, so kind of?

He should definitely be suspended/donate his salary for the missed games. I think what Escobar did when he was in Toronto is worse, but his punishment should be the minimum for Pillar (Escobar got off light.)

elentar posted:

John Amaechi similarly.

There's obviously better gay players in major sports leagues who have gotten the message to keep their mouths shut till long after retirement, or take it with them to the grave.

In conclusion, gently caress sports.

Look at the poo poo that gets said about Odell Beckham Jr. It's nauseating.

• Locked thread