Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
hey somebody post the picture eggdishes did of me wearing my dchap and dalmatica w/ a fanny pack full of cheetos, tia, i've looked everywhere and i can't find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Aisar posted:

hey somebody post the picture eggdishes did of me wearing my dchap and dalmatica w/ a fanny pack full of cheetos, tia, i've looked everywhere and i can't find it

I knew I checked this thread periodically for a reason:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Ok so Trusts.

When you call them, they are your level correct? Not like Adventuring Friend that you leveled up?

Who should I focus on for:

Tank
Heals
Mage (shantotto II?)
DD
Wildcard

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Trion is a good starter tank

Shantotto II and Zeid II are great for damage

Apururu or Yoran-Oran are both Unity WHMs and either is a good choice

Koru-Moru is an excellent RDM for support and Ulmia is the better bard.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

hagie posted:

Ok so Trusts.

When you call them, they are your level correct? Not like Adventuring Friend that you leveled up?

Who should I focus on for:

Tank
Heals
Mage (shantotto II?)
DD
Wildcard

Yup, they're your level when called. So if you gain any levels you need to resummon them to fix their levels.

From personal experience and from searching online (this is by no means a definitive list):

Tank: August (physical), Amchuchu (magical), Gessho (blink tank), Trion/Valaineral (not as good but easier to get)
Heal: Apururu (Unity), Yoran-Oran (Unity), Cherukiki (non-Unity)
Mage: Shantotto II, Ullegore
DD: Zeid II, Iroha II
Other poo poo: Koru-Moru, King of Hearts, Kupofried, Qultada, Selh'teus

Get as many trusts as you can and find whatever combos work well for your current job setup. If you haven't yet, there are some RoE tutorial quests you can do that basically give you a handful of free trusts. Any trusts at all is better than no trusts.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Everyman posted:

I knew I checked this thread periodically for a reason:

thanjks

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
If you can swing it, August is easily the best tank trust available for leveling, as he will 1 shot almost everything until like level 70.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

August seems like a cool trust to have. I'm so used to trusts being relatively easy to nab, kind of surprised that it drops from an endgame event.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
It's a victory lap kind of reward once you got everything else you want out of it. Plus, like I said, if he were just handed out to everyone like Trion you wouldn't ever bother getting any others until you're capped because he's the best for leveling by far (outside of XP+ buff ones).

But also Sinister Reign is not nearly as difficult as it first seems, and is probably one of the better ideas they ever had for content. Ambuscade would be much better off being a random selection like SR was than being the same for a month so the only things ever wanted are whats strong against that kind of mob this time.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Vitamean posted:

August seems like a cool trust to have. I'm so used to trusts being relatively easy to nab, kind of surprised that it drops from an endgame event.

Amchuchu is a good tank, but August is my favorite. It took me forever to get August trust cipher. If you are on Asura, send a tell to Joobacca. I will help you do Sinister Reign or answer your question about which cheesesteak is the best in the tri state area.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

answer your question about which cheesesteak is the best in the tri state area.
Well, go ahead.

Thanks for the Cashmere Wools Kaiyen. Now I can look forward to spending 400k on a T1 synth that I have to HQ 5 times to move on :smithicide:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Went in for an interesting endeavor last night. I hopped on my bullshit 92War and was going to see how my skill ups and all would go the old way. After getting 5 or more merits in a matter of a handful of minutes, I thought "wonder how fast I would level up.

I hopped on my 26Cor, beetle gear other random bullshit grabbed from the sparks guy.

Ended the day a few hours later at 70. I bought some Sparks skills for marksman, which helped towards the end because my marksmanship was already way under level.

One thing this taught me was don't buy ANYTHING off the AH. There are somethings you may have to, but don't buy anything. There is even a moogle that sells loving bullets, ninja tools, and food. On top of that if you just solo in poo poo hear it doesn't matter because you are in your own trust party and I don't hear Sakura bitching that I am wearing beetle rings

hagie fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 22, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

hagie posted:

Went in for an interesting endeavor last night. I hopped on my bullshit 92War and was going to see how my skill ups and all would go the old way. After getting 5 or more merits in a matter of a handful of minutes, I thought "wonder how fast I would level up.

I hopped on my 26Cor, beetle gear other random bullshit grabbed from the sparks guy.

Ended the day a few hours later at 70. I bought some Sparks skills for marksman, which helped towards the end because my marksmanship was already way under level.

One thing this taught me was don't buy ANYTHING off the AH. There are somethings you may have to, but don't buy anything. There is even a moogle that sells loving bullets, ninja tools, and food. On top of that if you just solo in poo poo hear it doesn't matter because you are in your own trust party and I don't hear Sakura bitching that I am wearing beetle rings

Yeah, you can pretty much wear whatever bullshit armor you want pre-99. You can level in your undies or a swimsuit if you want. It's great. You just have to keep your weapons updated. I like to keep around some decent jewelry for stat boosts on all jobs but honestly you don't even have to do that.

I also like to keep the three sets of Lv78 Abyssea cruor armor just to have some relevant boosts for the higher levels.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Do I need Abyssea gear to upgrade to other armors? Like does Abyssea +2 turn into another set of armor?

I've said before, I would love to not get in those zones at all.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

hagie posted:

Do I need Abyssea gear to upgrade to other armors? Like does Abyssea +2 turn into another set of armor?

I've said before, I would love to not get in those zones at all.

Empyrean, the job specific sets from abyssea, upgrade to 109/119. As do empyrean weapons. Anything else is lockstyle trash.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Thought I might try to come back to FFXI while it's free...after over 3 hours trying to figure out the difference between my play online ID and Square Enix ID, I just gave up.

Why the hell is the login process so convoluted?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

jivjov posted:

Thought I might try to come back to FFXI while it's free...after over 3 hours trying to figure out the difference between my play online ID and Square Enix ID, I just gave up.

That's what happens when you try to shoehorn something as ridiculous as PlayOnline into a more modern account system.

At least they finally did away with that lovely billing cycle they used to have. You could potentially get double-billed because you decided to re-subscribe a day before their monthly billing run!

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

jivjov posted:

You can find most of that info in the same place you sub from. Takes a little digging but it's there

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

jivjov posted:

The PO ID is something like four letters and then four numbers. The SE ID is most likely a username/email address.

I logged back in for the free trial and leveled two jobs from 1 to 99 and it was incredibly fun. Beat Rhapsodies and ran into a ton of NMs and finally got a Joyuese.

I'm still on Quez and won't server migrate until I'm done leveling or hunting NMs.

You know I had more fun over the weekend playing this old rear end game with Trusts then most of the time I've spent playing XIV in the last couple of years.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've got my Squeenix ID no problem; I can still log into the overall Square site just fine. Just have no idea where my Play Online ID is

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

I've got my Squeenix ID no problem; I can still log into the overall Square site just fine. Just have no idea where my Play Online ID is

I just logged intohttps://secure.square-enix.com and under services and options pick FFXI/PO and it should have your POID right there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you log in to the FF11 account management site it should tell you what your Play Online ID is

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ahh, Once i found the "Its 4 letters and 4 numbers" information, I suddenly realized that what I thought was just a random serial number was actually crucial to the login process!

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a XI Discord channel most of you hang out in?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Decided to give this game a whirl again.
Went around getting a bunch of trusts. Turns out I can't get Trion because I am on Sandoria 9-? mission (right before rank 10). And I can't get Shantoto (Because I think you need to do Windy rank stuff?)

I guess I should take whatever trusts I have and go try out that BCNM.
Or should I just level up some? I think I am at level 75 RDM.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I haven't played in like a year, but last summer I started a new character on Asura and got it to 99 as fast as possible and picked up basic trusts along the way. Life in this game is so much easier if you have at least one 99 job to gently caress around on to get stuff for other jobs.

I did all Sandy Missions, Zilart, CoP and most of ToAU as a 99 BRD/DNC in Sparks gear with Valaineral, Zeid II, SemihLafina, and Apururu. Then I got bored and quit (for like the 5th time... this loving game).

So yeah, get to 99 and whatever Trusts you pick up along the way and you will be able to do everything in this game you ever wanted to do up thru Abyssea.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I'm a god dang fool who is going to try this game for the first time since I was in school. Is the OP still up to date with regards to where goon players are?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I've been surprised at how fast things go now. 1-75 used to take an easy month. Then Abyssea made it a week or so, and that was because you had to grind to 30.

Now I got to 75 in a day and a half or so, with out intense EXP ring usage.

I've gotten all available "sub" jobs to 49 currently, with a plan to 50 for easy sparks.

Is there something I should spend sparks on after I have bought the skill gear + 119 gear? I've spent 1.5mil getting poo poo before I realized the AH is now for specialized items and not the usual poo poo you used to buy off there. No more ammo, nin tools, food, and spells for me to purchase on AH. I've heard about buying shields and NPCing them?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
If you have literally nothing else to use sparks on then get acheron shields (there's addons for this so you don't have to click anything) and then vendor them in a city you have the highest rep with for their max value. Each shield costs 2755 sparks and at a vendor you have good standing with you can make about 28k which is roughly a 1:10 ratio.

If you cap sparks and dump them all on shields it's about a million gil. Not the best way to make money, but you get sparks for doing whatever you're already doing anyways so it doesn't hurt.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm a god dang fool who is going to try this game for the first time since I was in school. Is the OP still up to date with regards to where goon players are?

Everyone is on asura nowadays. Server pop peaks over 2k during late night est. Other servers have about 300 people at that time.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 25, 2017

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

frodnonnag posted:

Everyone is on asura nowadays. Server pop peaks over 2k during late night est. Other servers have about 300 people at that time.

Thanks! I downloaded multiple gigs over several zip files and thought that would have been up to date-ish but the POL launcher is patching 13,000 files so I guess I'll see you on the free trial tomorrow! :suicide:

What is server population like in the afternoon EST? I'm a European player.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

How does leveling with a another player work in regards to trusts? Do you join the same group or alliance and does that other player take advantage of bonuses like Kupofried in the alliance?

Also still on Quez if anyone wants to hang out. Might transfer at the end.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 25, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

1500-2000 really. It doesn't dip dramatically.

Bahamut server was 300-400 then spiked at 900 the Hangul of days I was on it recently. Asura reminds me of Bahamut in its prime, on non-prime times.

My in game name is Hagie. So just look for a big pink suited Galla running around Bastok Mines

No one ever responds about the linkshell, so I wonder if it is in use anymore.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Thanks! I downloaded multiple gigs over several zip files and thought that would have been up to date-ish but the POL launcher is patching 13,000 files so I guess I'll see you on the free trial tomorrow! :suicide:

There's a download hosted somewhere with most of the updates in it. The update servers are poo poo because it's like a FTP server and basically reconnects for every single file, so your connection speed isn't very relevant.

Also afternoon population is usually 1k-1300 afternoons when it's not free trial period on Asura.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

hagie posted:

1500-2000 really. It doesn't dip dramatically.

Bahamut server was 300-400 then spiked at 900 the Hangul of days I was on it recently. Asura reminds me of Bahamut in its prime, on non-prime times.

My in game name is Hagie. So just look for a big pink suited Galla running around Bastok Mines

No one ever responds about the linkshell, so I wonder if it is in use anymore.

I'll keep an eye out and try to get you a pearl. Not a lot happens in linkshell chat

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Yell in town about how much of a bad SMN Frod is and you should get a pearl fairly quick.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Okay forgive me for being a big baby who needs handholding but is there like a beginner's guide to this game anywhere? Like, from scratch. I just got in and it's incomprehensible. Really struggled to even find the menu button (-, really?) let alone actually managing to get anything done :v: I know this is a pre-WoW MMO so I wasn't expecting hotbars or anything but I'm completely lost already.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Okay forgive me for being a big baby who needs handholding but is there like a beginner's guide to this game anywhere? Like, from scratch. I just got in and it's incomprehensible. Really struggled to even find the menu button (-, really?) let alone actually managing to get anything done :v: I know this is a pre-WoW MMO so I wasn't expecting hotbars or anything but I'm completely lost already.
If you go into the quests menu and do the Records of Eminence tutorial, it should point you at a NPC that has some baby quests for you to bang your head against. Also once you get to level 5 go figure out who the trust NPC in your town is (I think RoE will point you in their direction, or just google it) and unlock trust magic to get a crew of NPC party members. Get around to starting the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions when you get comfortable also, it gives you some nice bonuses early on.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like a decent enough starter guide. Also the playonline website has a Play Guide of unknown quality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/6bqp36/quick_faq_for_all_the_newreturning_players/

And what's your in game name? I can try to get you a pearl for linkshell chat and maybe people can answer questions there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Thanks, I'll take a look. Just need to get to grips with the controls. I'm guessing the macro system has some way of binding things? The lack of minimap is really throwing me off too!

My in game name is Qeryn, but I'm not online at the moment.