Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only positive of Avatar was the bad guy who REALLY didn't care about anything but killing blue dudes. By the end of the movie I was laughing at his refusal to just die without killing main blue man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i work in a tolll booothhh

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shinjobi posted:

The only positive of Avatar was the bad guy who REALLY didn't care about anything but killing blue dudes. By the end of the movie I was laughing at his refusal to just die without killing main blue man.

I look forward to more blue people suicides. Were they even real or was that News making hay?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It was cool how the blue people were peaceful and spiritual and magical... Just like native americans

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I thought the blue guys were the villains. :confused:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

super sweet best pal posted:

I thought the blue guys were the villains. :confused:

They're talking about Avatar, not the civil war.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Andro Dunos posted:

For kicks go read the debates in CineD about whether it's bad etiquette to use your phone in a movie theater, or if you complain when other people do it then you must be a crybaby pussy!

Every time. No matter what it is. CD is always the worst part of the internet.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

He's lost his mind. I know everyone says ALWAYS bet on Cameron but Avatar 2??? Who gives a gently caress any more. The people who saw the first one and didn't like it (me) probably won't want to see the new ones 🤔

Do even people who liked the movie care anymore? It was forever ago and everyone who was seriously into it killed themselves because they couldn't gently caress a blue cat lady irl.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

KakerMix posted:

Looks like the Prometheus "scientists" are back baby!

:420::420:Don't forget to fill your oxygen supply with dank kush bro! Ridley Scott more like Ridley Pot!:420::420:

In Alien and Aliens you have marines and miners respectively, so you imagine they're down to earth blue collar folk trying to get by and maybe kick some rear end. But they want the same kind of vibe in Prometheus who should all be the world's top scientists but they act like they work at an oil rig and this is just some lovely little side job instead of the most important mission of their careers.

vermin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 18, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Ridley Scott is 80 years old

most of you wont live that long

just a friendly reminder

death is certain

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

i've never read it because gently caress that but i hear it's quite good for discussing the social justice implications of the latest capebros movie

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Fartbox posted:

just a friendly reminder

death is certain

Good

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bloom posted:

Do even people who liked the movie care anymore? It was forever ago and everyone who was seriously into it killed themselves because they couldn't gently caress a blue cat lady irl.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Avatar sequels end up being huge. I have a theory that Avatar has faded in memory because the movie's big thing was that the use of super-immersive 3d. It really was an experience to see it in the theater. On home video, it didn't have the same punch. When the sequels are in the theater I think people are gonna end up blown away (by the effects if not the actual story).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Fartbox posted:

just a friendly reminder

death is certain

No takebacks.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Idiots who wanted to die and be re-incarnated on pandora(lol) were stupid idiots. Even the big cat idiots who lived there were constantly getting eaten by birds unless they were the main characters. Why would you want to live there? idiots.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Don't forget avatar world is open in Disney because remember how badly you wanted to be there I know I do

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Fartbox posted:

just a friendly reminder

death is certain

Ridley Scott is old
Most of you won't live that long
A quick reminder

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KakerMix posted:

Don't forget avatar world is open in Disney because remember how badly you wanted to be there I know I do

The ads for it look horrific. A movie about it going wrong and the animatronic monstrosities killing people a la westworld would probably be a better choice.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

KakerMix posted:

What good attraction did it replace, I want to know how angry to be

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fartbox posted:

just a friendly reminder

death is certain

All death is certain.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

LanceHunter posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Avatar sequels end up being huge. I have a theory that Avatar has faded in memory because the movie's big thing was that the use of super-immersive 3d. It really was an experience to see it in the theater. On home video, it didn't have the same punch. When the sequels are in the theater I think people are gonna end up blown away (by the effects if not the actual story).

They'll def make a pile of money because what doesn't. I just don't see it becoming the kind of giant franchise that justifies going "yeah we're making 9 of these things", especially if they're gonna take a decade each to make. 3d is also a lot less novel now than it was in 09.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All men die, but not every man makes one good movie and like 40 boring pieces of poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All men die, but not every man makes one good movie and like 40 boring pieces of poo poo.

Yeah but enough about Mike Stoklasa

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What was Scott's most recent good movie? I can only remember his pseudo-historical trash and bad sequels. Thelma & Louise maybe?

E: wait, Martian was directed by him, huh? Completely missed it. It was a good movie.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I dunno, I thought The Martian sucked. "We are going to have to science the poo poo out of this" :downs:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the good fax machine posted:

I dunno, I thought The Martian sucked. "We are going to have to science the poo poo out of this" :downs:

Yeah I hated the Martian.

Scott made Alien though which is literally free pass for life as far as I care.

The fact that he also made Blade Runner, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven (the director cut obviously) and Matchstick men are all bonuses.

He's definitely made some crap. I saw Exodus Gods and Kings or whatever it was called and I genuinely couldn't tell you a single thing that happened in it, it was so forgettable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

the good fax machine posted:

Eh. I'm not big on the whole 'I loving love science' craze, but it was a nice optimistic story of a stranded man returning home, where everyone works together for once. It's refreshing to have a space movie without a bad guy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Kingdom of Heaven sucks every ball from here to Jerusalem, actually.

That's a lot of balls to suck.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Scott made Alien though which is literally free pass for life as far as I care.

Same

Paladinus posted:

Eh. I'm not big on the whole 'I loving love science' craze, but it was a nice optimistic story of a stranded man returning home, where everyone works together for once. It's refreshing to have a space movie without a bad guy.

I thought it was funny that it came right on the heels of Interstellar, a space movie in which he played a bad guy (sort of?)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

King Vidiot posted:

What good attraction did it replace, I want to know how angry to be

I don't think anything of note really, Disney World has enough space in the middle of Florida to probably do whatever they want for a long time until the ice caps melt and it floods. They are also working on STAR WARS the park!!!!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Kingdom of Heaven and The Martian are both incredibly bad, actually. Just the pits.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
i'm mad about the martian because the internet wouldn't shut up about it so i read it and it was poo poo. it was written by someone who obviously doesn't understand human emotions

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I thought only 2 pages ago people were saying Ridley scott's kingdom of heaven or Exodus director's cut was actually really good?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You couldn't pay me to watch Exodus again

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It wasn't terrible, but it was basically just a remake of the DeMille version that brought nothing new to the table.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
The Martian is a great movie to watch drunk on a plane but once you try to watch it sober in your living room you will probably find yourself apologizing to your friends who you talked it up to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

a bone to pick posted:

I thought only 2 pages ago people were saying Ridley scott's kingdom of heaven or Exodus director's cut was actually really good?

The director's cut is very good, but it still doesn't solve the problem of Orlando Bloom being a charisma vacuum and the man he was based on being way cooler in real life than the film version. Also a lot of people seem to hate the film for daring to suggest that the Crusades might have been a bit of an excessive response to the Muslim Conquests of the previous centuries. It has a very modern approach to religion rather than any sense of faith grounded in the time period. But then again, this is also a film where God sends an angel down to Earth in the form of the Knight Hospitaller played by David Thewlis to try and get everyone to calm the gently caress down and stop butchering each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish I was the ear poison kid in Kingdom so I'd be dead and wouldn't have to see any more movies.

It was a fun film as far as dudes getting hit with swords goes. Could've been more than that but Orlando Bloom has way too much screentime.

• Locked thread