Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

aBagorn posted:

There's really no one they can acquire this offseason that is going to give them help them where they need it to get out of the East (i.e. someone who can slow down LeBron even a little bit).

The Cavs are far enough ahead that there's room for the Celtics to get significantly better this offseason and still not catch up. That doesn't mean they should just throw up their hands and not try since it's pointless. You never know what could happen. LeBron could finally start slowing down next year or him or Kyrie could get injured. One of the young players the Celtics are stock piling could have a break out year. Even if none of those things happen, the Celtics should still try to improve simply for the sake of improving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the Celtics should keep both Brooklyn picks and see if they develop a superstar from that.

They can still sign that white guy forward . It won't hurt anything.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

white lebron to battle real lebron

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lebron clowning Kelly Olynyk was maybe the greatest moment in this entire season so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lebron clowning Kelly Olynyk was maybe the greatest moment in this entire season so far.

Sooo disrespectful

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Kelly Ulillillynk playing well enough in the playoffs to make himself relevant is something I thought I'd never see and I'm pretty sure we'll never see it again

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, the Celtics game wasn't that surprising.

Assuming they select Fultz in the draft and get Hayward in the offseason, how much better would they be?

Fultz won't help them much his first year. He may be somewhat useful off the bench, and definitely exciting, but I don't think he's moving the needle in any significant way. Hayward would be a huge help, but getting him would mean not resigining Amir Johnson or Olynyk. I would make that swap nine times out of nine, but it will tamper Hayward a bit and definitely give Boston a problem with big depth.

I don't think it gets them to Cleveland's level, but you never know what would happen.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hayward would make them better but I don't know that I'd want to tie up all my cap space for the next five years until I had a vague idea of what they've got in Fultz

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Can anyone tell me why Channing Frye only played 3 (garbage time) minutes last night? What's the matchup advantage they found leaving him out?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My guess is becuae love and tt had 5 on lock down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

https://twitter.com/talkhoops/status/865216963777224704

:eyepop:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

Can anyone tell me why Channing Frye only played 3 (garbage time) minutes last night? What's the matchup advantage they found leaving him out?

They didn't use Love much against Toronto because Ibaka eats his lunch, so they wanted to give him more burn. TT was sorta beasting in that game, so I think they let him play a bit more too. Jefferson matches up a bit better against Boston's small-ball lineups they like to run when their starters rest.

Basically, they didn't really need to spread the floor and the rest of the bigs were balling out. I don't think there is much to it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Now keep your love lockdown.

You lose.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Love destroys smalls in the post after swirches and no one in the east is good enough to punish him playing at center.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

euphronius posted:

Is that a real quote

i think it's real, it's got the little " " marks and everything

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Love destroys smalls in the post after swirches and no one in the east is good enough to punish him playing at center.

He is really good in the post, even against bigger guys, but usually has big trouble with help defense on guards. The Cleveland defense is already taking care of IT, and I think they are going to let Avery Bradley try to beat them, and while Bradley was able to score with Love at the 5 the Boston Offense won't be able to run through him enough.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
do you think its part of the cavs plan to clown on the celtics because they know the celtics are a volatile, poo poo talking team?

is it to establish that no one can challenge lebron for the east?

is that just how the cavs play?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

They're much better than Boston and clowning dudes is basketball tradition

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It's just payback for Scot Pollard not getting a ring with the Cavs, but with the Celtics.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

has there ever been a Finals where both teams were coming off a 12-0 start to the playoffs? because that seems like what's going to happen

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So we're just assuming Kawhi is done for the season and the dubs are going to go into SA on Saturday and roll them up?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A lot of people assume Kawhi will play on Saturday, there was no point risking his health on a short delay between games. Same reason why he didn't play game 6 against Houston.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

has there ever been a Finals where both teams were coming off a 12-0 start to the playoffs? because that seems like what's going to happen

Nah

quote:

While the playoffs have lacked intrigue, they've hosted plenty of dominance. Historic dominance, in fact. Since the NBA moved to a best-of-seven first round in 2003, we've never seen two teams reach the conference finals without a loss in the same season.

Until Cleveland and Golden State did it this year.

It's only the second time it's happened in NBA history since the league adopted the current 16-team playoff format in 1984. (More on that later.) Both the Cavaliers and Warriors spent the first two rounds validating what we knew from the regular season: They're on a crash course to face one another in the Finals for a third consecutive season. But looking back at teams that have duplicated both team's accomplishments, it's not necessarily a good omen. It's an astounding accomplishment, but it's been a harbinger of doom for the majority of teams that achieved it.

Since 1984, only 10 of the 528 teams to make the playoffs reached the conference finals without a loss. Four won the title. Five lost in the conference finals, including one series loss to a No. 8 seed. All five of the teams that lost in the conference finals lost to teams that did not win the title that season. Only one reached the Finals and lost.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/865266096894554112

1st Team:
LeBron
Harden
Russ
Kawhi
ADay

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/865266828913786880

Say goodbye to all that money, PG and Hayward

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the voting gap between davis and gobert is so tiny, god drat

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lol demar derozan is gonna be why pg leaves the pacers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rudy was almost first team. That owns.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

so its exactly the same as that list that leaked and then the NBA said NOOOO ITS FAAAAAKE really loudly.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Paul Zuvella posted:

The best stories about basketball legends are the ones where they just murder an opponent's soul.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm glad basketball as a sport encourages players humiliating each other, while baseball is on like year three of the bat flip thing

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I'd have KAT over Jordan and CP3 over DeRozan on the third team but otherwise looks good to me.

Gobert v Davis is real close for first team center, basically a toss up. Gobert has probably been DPOY but it's easy to forget just how insanely amazing offensively Davis was this season on an absolute shithow of a team that would've won 17 games without him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

so its exactly the same as that list that leaked and then the NBA said NOOOO ITS FAAAAAKE really loudly.

I thought KAT was on that list instead of DJ?

Tae posted:

Lol demar derozan is gonna be why pg leaves the pacers

Well, PG is a forward and Derozan is a Guard so I am not sure it matters? More like Butler and Draymond knocked PG off the list, which is pretty reasonable, I think.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

morestuff posted:

I'm glad basketball as a sport encourages players humiliating each other, while baseball is on like year three of the bat flip thing

it's the inverse of the NFL where physical assault is encouraged* but celebrating is against the rules

*the exception in the NBA provided by the dirty cheating Warriors basketball club who attack limbs and testicles when they find themselves behind

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

PG is gone, so now it's just a matter on if the Pacers can get the 1st or 2nd pick for him.

Though the idea of Lonzo Ball in Indiana is loving hilarious.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I keep forgetting how loving disgusting unfair Davis + Cousins is going to be next season wow

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I keep forgetting how loving disgusting unfair Davis + Cousins is going to be next season wow

That team needs filling out badly. They might still be rough next year.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's silly that media voting is costing PG a ton of money. Signing him to the supermax or whatever would be a poison pill for the cheapskate Pacers, but it would have been nice to have the option.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol at the hot take geniuses that left Russ and LeBron off first team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KAT was robbed :mad:

• Locked thread