Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Snipee posted:

Guys, they only kissed. There has been no loving in this show. The previous episode started off exactly where the previous one had stopped, leaving no room for offscreen sex. The romance is still gross, but we don't need to make poo poo up.

That's why this season is bad. It lacks a twist. And the twist is full penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The reason why Samurai Jack season 2 took ten years to create is because Genndy spent too long fapping over Ashi. And then last minute he had to tie together the decades worth of spank bank stories he had invested Ashi's characterization into something that would fit into a single episode.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Incoming "if i were genndy":

-After the escape from the beast Id have them go their seperate ways, throw a slightly cliche "need to find my own way for a while" from Ashi, Jack is left with sliver of more hope.

-said sliver summarily crushed next episode as alien children are knocked out and he murders not-sundowner in a hot rage. Cue ghost samurai.

-Ashi travels round, inevitably running into the people and places jack helped, meets elderly scotsman, "Lass, im an old man, and id like to see my dearest friend one last time, would ye help me find him." Meanwhile, Scaramouche.

-Ashi and scotsman find Jack about to do himself in, they fight the ghost, scotsman gets killed, ashi gets overwhelmed by thing she cant hit, CELTIC MAGIC GHOST DUEL, they save Jack. Hes still depressed as hell tho, but a good old scotsman insult reminding him what he did snaps him out of it, alongside Ashi saying she believes him now. Lets get that sword.

-Scotsman is off back home, Ashi accompanies jack to meditation spot. Id keep the goats thing. Jack does his thing and ashi fights the cultist army lead by cult mom. Angry jack knocks the tea out the monks mouth when he says teas terrible. Same time Ashi is getting worn out and is down to last few including mom. End episode.

Yes i would have the tea ceremony last all episode dont judge me.

-Ashi fights mom in extended back and forth as Jack battles angry jack in the same way, he eventually does the persona thing and accepts him and his failures as part of himself and the path and choices he took, meanwhile ashi is fighting to standstill with mom but id have the dialogue be less about Jack and more about Aku being UNSPEAKABLY EVIL, the monk acknowldges jacks balance, and pulls the sword out of ball of light on jacks chest, just as Ashi and mom do the showdown cut. Cut back to Ashi completely worn out but triumphant, Jack helps her up. "What do you do now" "Now i must finally end this nightmare and destroy aku" "Id gladly help". Cut to scaramouche getting to Aku, end on the dance.

-Jack and Ashi travel, come across the graveyard of champions where the guardian is, hes not dead, but hes emaciated and in rags. Aku could not defeat him nor the guardian could Aku, but Aku managed to destroy the pillar nonetheless, leaving the guardian without purpose. Guardian invites Jack to one last duel, saying that he needs to know before he goes, that she was not foretold.They fight and jack wins. Guardian smiles and dies, getting reabsorbed into the remnants of the pillar.

"Awwww, FOOLISH SAMURAI LOST HIS SWORD?" "aku!" cue the same as this last episode.

tl;dr:
Its probably poo poo

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 17, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Well Manicured Man posted:

The latest episode just makes it even clearer how much more appropriate it would be to have Jack as a mentor/surrogate father to Ashi. Jack would be an alternative role model and "father" to Ashi compared to the evil (absent, abusive) Aku. The final battle between Jack and Aku would be not just a battle to save the future/reclaim the past (depending on whether Jack actually gets back to the past), but also an ideological battle between two dads.

Oh, well.

For all that's been said and will be said in the end, it is a sure thing that this season was made with complete creative freedom, because otherwise I can't imagine making it through the entire production of this season without someone pointing out that parallel (which I'm pretty sure is completely unintentional). It's so obvious.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

"Aku! I'm pregnant with Ashi's child, and you're the father!"

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Rigged Death Trap posted:

-After the escape from the beast Id have them go their seperate ways, throw a slightly cliche "need to find my own way for a while" from Ashi, Jack is left with sliver of more hope.

-said sliver summarily crushed next episode as alien children are knocked out and he murders not-sundowner in a hot rage. Cue ghost samurai.

-Ashi travels round, inevitably running into the people and places jack helped, meets elderly scotsman, "Lass, im an old man, and id like to see my dearest friend one last time, would ye help me find him." Meanwhile, Scaramouche.

-Ashi and scotsman find Jack about to do himself in, they fight the ghost, scotsman gets killed, ashi gets overwhelmed by thing she cant hit, CELTIC MAGIC GHOST DUEL, they save Jack. Hes still depressed as hell tho, but a good old scotsman insult reminding him what he did snaps him out of it, alongside Ashi saying she believes him now. Lets get that sword.

-Scotsman is off back home, Ashi accompanies jack to meditation spot. Id keep the goats thing. Jack does his thing and ashi fights the cultist army lead by cult mom. Angry jack knocks the tea out the monks mouth when he says teas terrible. Same time Ashi is getting worn out and is down to last few including mom. End episode.

-Ashi fights mom in extended back and forth as Jack battles angry jack in the same way, he eventually does the persona thing and accepts him and his failures as part of himself and the path and choices he took, meanwhile ashi is fighting to standstill with mom but id have the dialogue be less about Jack and more about Aku being UNSPEAKABLY EVIL, the monk acknowldges jacks balance, and pulls the sword out of ball of light on jacks chest, just as Ashi and mom do the showdown cut. Cut back to Ashi completely worn out but triumphant, Jack helps her up. "What do you do now" "Now i must finally end this nightmare and destroy aku" "Id gladly help". Cut to scaramouche getting to Aku, end on the dance.

-Jack and Ashi travel, come across the graveyard of champions where the guardian is, hes not dead, but hes emaciated and in rags. Aku could not defeat him nor the guardian could Aku, but Aku managed to destroy the pillar nonetheless, leaving the guardian without purpose. Guardian invites Jack to one last duel, saying that he needs to know before he goes, that she was not foretold.They fight and jack wins. Guardian smiles and dies, getting reabsorbed into the remnants of the pillar.

"Awwww, FOOLISH SAMURAI LOST HIS SWORD?" "aku!" cue the same as this last episode.

tl;dr:
Its probably poo poo

If I were Genndy-

1) All the sisters die in Episode 3. Jack kills Ashi even though she slows the slightest hints of good.

2) Jack is still mad.

3) Scaramouche tells Aku that Jack lost his sword a lot earlier.

4) Aku begins hunting Jack, who flees to the Scotsman as the only other person with a magic sword who can help him.

5) The Scotsman's daughters help Jack see all the good he's done and tour him around the world.

6) The woolies give him a crown or some poo poo and say he leads those who are good. Jack says he is not worthy.

7) The Scotsman's daughter tries to romance Jack but the ghost of the Scotsman haunts Jack and berates him and yells at him until he realizes that this show does not need romance.

8) Jack meditates with the ancient Monk who grew into the tree and regains his sword.

9) Aku, Mama Ashi and Scaramouche attack Jack while he has the sword. Some of Jack's allies die and he freaks out.

10) Jack defeats Aku but the world is still a heartless, hosed up place full of hatred and crime and begins falling apart without Aku's evil to sustain it. Literally rumbling and falling apart.

11) Jack rallies his army and takes everyone to the Guardian, the only man who defeated him in one-on-one combat and deals with a lot of inadequacy and is cheered up by people telling him they'll help. Jack learns a true hero doesn't do things alone or something. He puts on his stupid crown.

12) The Guardian talks a lot of poo poo then kneels and allows Jack to pass through the time portal.

13) Series ends as people begin to wink out of existence.

WA-CHA.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 17, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

tl;dr:
Its probably poo poo

Let's squeeze in some space for Ashi to reflect on her sisters' deaths so she can hurl it all back at Mother during their fight. And I wanna see Mad Jack go full-on distortion, to the point of abstract during his fight with Jack.
But yeah, by and large I think this would definitely solve a lot of the weak plot points and pacing issues. There are also quite a few elements you added that would sync nicely into a more cohesive narrative, like The Scotsman v. Death Ghost thing. OOH! Come to think of it, you could segue into Ashi's feelings about her sisters and mother by introducing her to the positive relationship that is The Scotsman and His Valkyrie Daughters. That'd allow her to reevaluate both sibling and parental relationships.

e: Also keeping Scruffy Jack around for continuity's sake.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Oh Snapple! posted:

jack loving a girl who was introduced to him as a mentally stunted, tantrum-throwing toddler was definitely the better path to take there

She was introduced to him as an assassin trying to kill him. Not that I disagree that the relationship is creepy in nature, at least in theory, I just don't think that statement is accurate. I do disagree that the relationship is creepy in execution though, solely because Ashi hasn't acted like or been treated narratively as a child or surrogate since the end of episode 5 and there's no indication she's ever going to be again. Which I don't like, because I think she's much more interesting as a character when she was a ball of rage with no idea of what was good or right and was just coming to realize that there might be some gaps in her worldview and how she was raised. That character would be creepy if she was dating Jack. As is though, Ashi basically went from that to a normal, fully educated and aware adult in the span of one episode so I don't really see anything creepy in her dating Jack. I see bad melodrama and lots of cliche writing, just not creepiness personally.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Augus posted:

yeah there are not nearly enough stories these days about a jaded old man wandering the apocalypse with an innocent little girl who serves as his surrogate daughter
it would be very progressive if genndy tartavosky wrote a story like that

gently caress yeah, this should just be Samurai Logan!

Scotsman can be Professor X.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Augus posted:

if only they had done at least an entire episode about this girl growing up and becoming more mature and learning what the world is really like, we wouldn't be stuck with this dilemma.
alas, this grown-rear end woman is basically a 5-year old because she was ignorant about stuff. it's a shame that women aren't capable of character growth like men are.

Is this sarcasm, or did you not watch the episode where she went around with Jack and found out what the world was really like and then got separated from him and grew up and became more mature?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

brocked posted:

Is this sarcasm, or did you not watch the episode where she went around with Jack and found out what the world was really like and then got separated from him and grew up and became more mature?

You're yelling at another person who supports the same ship as you.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
"yelling"

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Raserys posted:

"yelling"

emptyquoting

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i think the relationship is fine, quit being a bunch of prudes you guys. jack's super innocent he wouldn't hurt a fly

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Wild Horses posted:

i think the relationship is fine, quit being a bunch of prudes you guys. jack's super innocent he wouldn't hurt a fly

A robot fly on the other hand...

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

There's your next revival hit, Cartoon Network:

Fifty years have passed...

and yet...

I remain single.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Pack up the thread boys

wacha

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thank you

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SatansOnion posted:

There's your next revival hit, Cartoon Network:

Fifty years have passed...

and yet...

I remain single.

Unfortunately Johnny Bravo would never get a pass on TV today. He's a Tumblr rant personified.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Finally, a good post!

e:

brocked posted:

Is this sarcasm,
yes

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

There Bias Two posted:

Unfortunately Johnny Bravo would never get a pass on TV today. He's a Tumblr rant personified.

Yes, I'm sure those awful Tumblr people would hate a show that constantly mocks its moronic and chauvinistic protagonist.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Equeen posted:

Yes, I'm sure those awful Tumblr people would hate a show that constantly mocks its moronic and chauvinistic protagonist.

Never underestimate people's ability to miss the point entirely.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

There Bias Two posted:

Never underestimate people's ability to miss the point entirely.

True, but I have no trouble imagining the sea of posts extolling Johnny Bravo for being a biting commentary on PUAs and toxic masculinity.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Jonny Bravo was somewhat a negative commentary on PUAs, but it suffers a bit from the time it was made. I think it did a good job of establishing people like Johnny as vain, self-absorbed, dickwads, but it would sometimes do the "nice guy(tm)" thing. Ya know what I mean? It also could get confusing at time since it would sometimes introduce a bigger douche so Johnny was less doucey in comparison (like the musical episode, which strangely had its last song reaired constantly despite the joke being all the woman he tricked getting pissed and getting back at him).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Johnny was a fairly okay guy destroyed by the insecure demands of societal masculinity. If he wasn't trying so hard to impress women with things that are widely touted as The Only Things Women Care About (player, muscles, slick clothes, being an rear end in a top hat, maybe a car? For some reason?) he'd be pretty dumb and dorky, but tolerable enough to at least get a girlfriend.
Instead he attracted Carl.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've seen the way that Power Puff Girls was rebooted and it was not pretty. Johnny Bravo might get Leisure Suit Larry'd in that people miss the satire of the original show, and will make Johnny's faults be turned into a good thing unironically. However, if it's written by a decent set of writers who understood the satire, I don't see why not.

Das Boo posted:

Instead he attracted Carl.

Johnny/Carl is the true ship. Sorry Jashi fans.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 18, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

EagerSleeper posted:

I've seen the way that Power Puff Girls was rebooted and it was not pretty. Johnny Bravo might get Leisure Suit Larry'd in that people miss the satire of the original show, and will make Johnny's faults be turned into a good thing unironically. However, if it's written by a decent set of writers who understood the satire, I don't see why not.

What happened with this Power Puff Girls reboot, exactly? Never saw it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

From what I remember, the only women who actually liked Johnny were his mom, a little girl, a deer, and one woman who he actually had a nice date with, but she turned out to be a super spy and had to erase his memory in order to protect him or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhonne posted:

From what I remember, the only women who actually liked Johnny were his mom, a little girl, a deer, and one woman who he actually had a nice date with, but she turned out to be a super spy and had to erase his memory in order to protect him or something.

90s-tv-series.txt

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Covok posted:

It's kinda hard to explain how badly it misses the tone, charm and humor of the original. It's just really, really bland and tries very hard to be "updated," so lots of emoticon faces and memes.
And I say this having really disliked the new designs from that special they did a couple of years ago, but being won over by the writing upon watching it. I don't hate the reboot for the sake of being a reboot. It's just bad.

Also, the werewolf chick liked Johnny!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rhonne posted:

had to erase his memory in order to protect him or something.

Matriarchy!!!! :byodood:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Rhonne posted:

Don't forget the time when he dated a werewolf

Covok
May 27, 2013

Das Boo posted:

It's kinda hard to explain how badly it misses the tone, charm and humor of the original. It's just really, really bland and tries very hard to be "updated," so lots of emoticon faces and memes.
And I say this having really disliked the new designs from that special they did a couple of years ago, but being won over by the writing upon watching it. I don't hate the reboot for the sake of being a reboot. It's just bad.

Also, the werewolf chick liked Johnny!

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Imagine if they hosed up Samurai Jack that badly? Aku would be too posting on Akubook and Akitter about how he's totally going to pwn the Samurai today only for the Scottsmans to troll the gently caress out of him. Aku would then try to act like a tough guy online only for a bunch of dupe Aku accounts to mock him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Equeen posted:

Don't forget the time when he dated a werewolf

I must have missed that episode.

Oh yeah, and Velma liked him too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My glasses
I cant be seen without my glasses

Covok
May 27, 2013

My glasses
I cant be seen without my glasses

Johnny fit in well with the Scooby-Doo cast: basically Fred, but with a personality. It strangely worked well with Fred in the mix. Also, a greaser does kind of fit with their 70s kids getup.

Man, thinking about it, Cartoon Network sure as hell liked crossovers, as far as cartoons go. I don't remember Nickelodon ever doing crossovers, but Cartoon Network sure did a few and some were weird as hell. Like Kids Next Door mixed in Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy with an Ed, Edd, and Eddy cameo.

Did Jack ever do a crossover?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Covok posted:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Uh, having kindergarteners twerk is a little hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Covok posted:

Uh, having kindergarteners twerk is a little hosed up.

I can't imagine storyboarding this and thinking, "Yeah, that's a totally appropriate thing to have young children do on a kid's cartoon."

• Locked thread