Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
i know all y'all moms so get them nice ipads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I dropped my iPad Pro about 8 feet down to the ground and it somehow didn't crack - it landed face down and I was afraid to pick it up. Not sure how I pulled that one off but phew.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
What are the chances we will see a new X model SoC in a iPad again? Given how Apple is already crushing all the ARM competitors with the A10 and the tablet market has fallen off a volume cliff, I think the likelihood has fallen a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I imagine if the non-Pro line continues it will get non-X versions while Pros will get X versions.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my mom loves her mini

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

rio posted:

I dropped my iPad Pro about 8 feet down to the ground and it somehow didn't crack - it landed face down and I was afraid to pick it up. Not sure how I pulled that one off but phew.

It's gonna shatter the next time you set it down too hard lol

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

One of my kids is having a weird problem with her iPad Mini 2 that is hurting my brain.

When she plays games on her tablet at some point sound stops working. This problem seemingly persists through reboots, it's not dnd or the mute switch, volume levels look fine.

Strangely if I fire up the tv app and watch a brief snippet of a movie, sound starts working again system wide. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

It's running the latest iOS, all apps are up to date, etc.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Persisting through reboots and without it being volume/mute/DND makes it seem like a hardware problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

One of my kids is having a weird problem with her iPad Mini 2 that is hurting my brain.

When she plays games on her tablet at some point sound stops working. This problem seemingly persists through reboots, it's not dnd or the mute switch, volume levels look fine.

Strangely if I fire up the tv app and watch a brief snippet of a movie, sound starts working again system wide. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

It's running the latest iOS, all apps are up to date, etc.

Is it connecting to another output? Swipe up and check the output in control centre.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuyop posted:

Is it connecting to another output? Swipe up and check the output in control centre.

Yeah my music stops sometimes when my wife pulls out of the driveway and my phone connects to the car bt.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I want to use my iPad for language learning. I live in the U.K. And want access to U.K. Apps many of which are only offered in English, I also mainly text and post in English.

If I switch my iPad (and iPhone) to Danish will it give me any problems with installing/updating apps?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Sri.Theo posted:

I want to use my iPad for language learning. I live in the U.K. And want access to U.K. Apps many of which are only offered in English, I also mainly text and post in English.

If I switch my iPad (and iPhone) to Danish will it give me any problems with installing/updating apps?
I just tested changing my iPhone language and I can still get and update apps like normal. Some apps (e.g. Messenger) auto-change their text prompts into the selected language, whereas others (e.g. Overcast) are still entirely in English.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Overcast, is it dropping out of memory really quickly for anyone else again?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

tuyop posted:

Not that I can see. Playing with it more, it seems like my "watch things in the tv app" fix only works once you force close one particular game, the goat simualtor space one.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

I just tested changing my iPhone language and I can still get and update apps like normal. Some apps (e.g. Messenger) auto-change their text prompts into the selected language, whereas others (e.g. Overcast) are still entirely in English.

Thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tuyop posted:

Speaking of Overcast, is it dropping out of memory really quickly for anyone else again?
It's actually been great for me these last few updates.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's actually been great for me these last few updates.

Ok, I'll see about replication steps. I also still experience that loving upload deleting bug when the app gets dropped from memory and you press play but the last played item was uploaded. It sucks when I have to go into work to upload the book again because my internet is literally 1kb/s up.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Who refurbishes the iPads Best Buy sells as refurbished? BB themselves?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

Yes although I'm starting to suspect 10.3.1, I've had Music.app drop out a few times now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yes although I'm starting to suspect 10.3.1, I've had Music.app drop out a few times now.

Nah, it was fine before it updated on the 14th, now I'm on Overcast 3.1.3 and the stupid background crashing issue is back again. Which is funny because one of the changelog items is that it fixed that issue.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Krime posted:

Who refurbishes the iPads Best Buy sells as refurbished? BB themselves?

Geek Squad®

(so, Best Buy)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Geek Squad®

(so, Best Buy)

Yeah, I'll pass.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Fly Ricky posted:

As non-mom, I'm suprised that the iPad 3 is still suiting my needs. It's not agonizingly slow, and still runs all of the apps that I use on a regular basis.

Same here. I've had it for 5 years and I use it daily and the only thing that is remotely annoying is that the home button doesn't work all that well anymore. Other than that and some barely noticeable slowdown here and there, it functions like the day I bought it.

I have some itch to upgrade but no real need. Take my drat money, Apple.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dropped my iPad Air 2 earlier and thought everything was fine until a few hours later where I notice that the screen is a bit dark. Looking more I can clearly see there are several 'spotlights' of the back lighting from the edge going to the center of the screen. I think that 50% of them are on and 50% of them are off. I have a feeling any long use is going to give me one hell of a headache.

What am I looking at cost wise for possible repair at an Apple Store? The unit is from Nov 2014 so isn't under Apple Care anymore. I was going to give it to wife or kid when the 10.5 comes out in hopefully 3 weeks but not sure that I can last that long or that they'd want to use it unless repaired.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Screen repair is $299.

https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair/screen-damage

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just sell as-is and buy a used replacement iPad

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

How reliable are third party screen replacements for the current iPad generation?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Hello Gold 12.9 Pro!

I will have it Thursday.

:)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

rio posted:

Somehow my Pro 12.9 has insane durability as well. I have dropped it sooooooo many times, and I use it without a case. It has numerous dents in the side (all of which are small, the metal must be pretty tough). But somehow it still works like a champ and the actual screen glass is immaculate.

Of course now after saying this, I will break the screen tomorrow.

Krime posted:

Hello Gold 12.9 Pro!

I will have it Thursday.

Hello fellow Gold 12.9 buddy. You're gonna love it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my 12.9 pro so much. I just wish it charged faster.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I love my 12.9 pro so much. I just wish it charged faster.

How much are you willing to spend to make that happen? Because you can get a USB-C charging brick and a USB-C to Lightning cable and it'll charge faster.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yeah dude I got the big USB C wall plug and a longer USB C to lightning cable and my 12.9 pro charges faster my iPad mini or iPhone SE it charges so fast, I love it.

Also, I am a huge huge huge fan of the Smart Keyboard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

Yeah dude I got the big USB C wall plug and a longer USB C to lightning cable and my 12.9 pro charges faster my iPad mini or iPhone SE it charges so fast, I love it.

Also, I am a huge huge huge fan of the Smart Keyboard.

Which one did you get? I'm down for this if it really is a lot faster.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

The Apple 29W charger enables fast charging, but I don't think the larger ones will charge even faster than it. This site did some testing:

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

I bought 2x of the 29W and I keep one plugged in under the desk and one in my backpack. Very good purchase but it gets on my nerves these aren't the ones Apple includes. Same with iPhone+ Series.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
They'll include them soon now that USB-C is spreading across their other products. It wouldn't really have made sense at the time.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

The iPhone plus has never come with the charger that would charge it faster. They always skimp on chargers

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Charging slower also preserves battery capacity.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The best phone in the world charges super fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yeah I guess my SE does charge fast.