Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Vote pairing. If you intend to vote yes on a piece of legislation but can't attend, the whips identify someone who is intending to vote no and ask them to not vote as well.

Sorry I meant how does it work for a constituency, who represents them for 9 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Why are people so obsessed with national polls in here. As long as the UK are operating on a FPTP single-candidate constituency basis it's hard to imagine how these things are going to be predicted on a national level.

This happened only 2 years ago:

Why isn't electoral reform being talked about by the minority parties?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bedshaped posted:

Gee I wonder

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

Why are people so obsessed with national polls in here. As long as the UK are operating on a FPTP single-candidate constituency basis it's hard to imagine how these things are going to be predicted on a national level.

Everyone except the Lib dems, labour, and the tories are talking about.
The tories dont want it for obvious reasons, labour have traditionally benefited from sucking up most of the lefts vote in many constituencies, and the lib dems triee when they were in coalition, but we needed A&e departments, not a new voting system (note: we did not get a&e departments)

The SNP dont mention it much, because they have proportional representation in the parliament they acmmcare about, and nobody else gets above 5% of the vote nationally.

(UKIP did mention it last time round, but they don't get more than 5% anymore, so nobody cares except for the question time panel organisers)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bedshaped posted:

Quite a few Labour MPs are talking about it. Still a minority sadly but I hope Labour wise up to the fact that without it they will permanently become a party of opposition after boundary redrawing comes into effect next year.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

Sorry I meant how does it work for a constituency, who represents them for 9 months

I think it's the same as if an MP is unavailable due to illness - stuff is delegated to the constituency office staff (as 90% of it would be anyway) with neighbouring MPs helping out where appropriate.

Again, there's no statutory right to maternity / paternity leave as an MP so in effect you'll find that MPs will break their leave to attend particularly important debates / votes or intervene in crucial constituency business.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
PR talk has died down because there isn't a majorly unrepresented party in current UK politics thanks to the collapse of the Greens, UKIP and the Lib Dems. It's not a surprise that the biggest push for PR cropped up after the Lib Dems hit 23% of the votes but less than 9% of seats.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Just thought of another way out of the dementia tax and it could be done within Months of starting in care home, if they are a married couple. Divorce and give all assets bar under £100,000 to the spouse who needs the constant care. Would then give time for the other partner to transfer assets etc to children so that they can themselves move into a care home.

This whole policy is a disaster and smells of something quickly thought up without any research.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ukle posted:

Just thought of another - and quicker way to get out of paying the dementia tax, if its a married couple. Divorce and give all assets bar under £100,000 to the spouse who needs the constant care.

This whole policy is a disaster and smells of something quickly thought up without any research.

Well, you could also do what Lord Tebbit suggested & marry your son to avoid inheritance tax.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bedshaped posted:

Because like a lot of other things, the Lib Dems hosed it up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I support inheritance tax. However I do not think it should be targeted only at people with care needs and collected by unscrupulous companies from elderly people with dementia, and be used to fund higher payouts for their shareholders.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Because like a lot of other things, the Lib Dems hosed it up.
They should have gone full PR instead of going for a midway solution (lol at Lib Dems ever not doing that) because it's a lot easier to sell "one person, one vote" and "everyone's vote matters" than trying to explain anything complicated against the "Our Boys need a new maternity unit" soundbite politics.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Can't you just make showing your pollcard necessary if you're really worried about impersonation fraud?

That would make me grumpy given my polling card never showed up (though I somehow got next door's mail a few days ago including their polling card, making me think the postie was blind drunk that day).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

ukmt may: actually, inherited wealth is very cool and good if you think about it

Nice try Tony

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Even if it had absolutely no effect it would still cost a lot of money to eliminate a non-existent problem

If memory serves, I think the Electoral Commission literally said as much in their report on the topic, before saying they recognised it was important to provide the public with reassurance on electoral fraud. :facepalm:

This is an interesting one that we were discussing in the office the other day. One of our local MPs had taken the full maternity leave and there was basically zero support available for constituents in need when a colleague tried to get a meeting.

I think it's a valid concern, albeit one that should be addressed by providing actual maternity cover, rather than blocking pregnant women from standing as an MP. The responsibilities are much higher than with a normal employee which makes it all a bit more emotive - it's one thing to inconvenience an employer by leaving for 9 months, but quite another to remove parliamentary representation from thousands of voters.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 18, 2017

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

LemonDrizzle posted:

ukmt may: actually, inherited wealth is very cool and good if you think about it

Well, exactly. People have been moaning and pissing in these threads about how inheritance divides the country into haves and have-nots and entrenches privilege in certain families for as long as I can remember. And now, when a Tory (!) finally proposes to DO something about it, it's suddenly a disgrace.

The cost of elderly care is a looming crisis, it's got to be paid for somehow and I'd much rather see it funded through hitting the mountain of wealth that the current elderly generation are sat on than see the working-age generation taxed even more on the income that they go out and work for.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, exactly. People have been moaning and pissing in these threads about how inheritance divides the country into haves and have-nots and entrenches privilege in certain families for as long as I can remember. And now, when a Tory (!) finally proposes to DO something about it, it's suddenly a disgrace.

The cost of elderly care is a looming crisis, it's got to be paid for somehow and I'd much rather see it funded through hitting the mountain of wealth that the current elderly generation are sat on than see the working-age generation taxed even more on the income that they go out and work for.

Increasing inheritance tax in general is a good solution.

A bad solution is making it a targeted tax on the families of people with dementia (or other significant problems).

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

I have a few objections:

(i)It arbitrarily penalises people with long-term conditions that remain in their houses by extending the scope to cover care in the community, which will cause a lot of misery at the margins.
(ii) It further entrenches the notion that care must be paid for using private funds
(iii) It would cause much less human suffering (and probably admin costs too!) to simply recoup the money for social care from an actual wealth tax and/or changes to the inheritance tax threshholds that would avoid making the elderly worry about whether they'll have a home to live in while they're in their final years.

I totally agree with your comments about the mountain of wealth, but that mountain doesn't start with an old biddy having to worry about selling her house and finding somewhere to live because she needs help at home.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The Greens party political broadcast I just saw was a real work of art. It must be fun maoimg these when you know you won't win.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

The Greens party political broadcast I just saw was a real work of art. It must be fun maoimg these when you know you won't win.

Wow. This one? It's awesome.

I'll link the 2016 one too, since that was also epic. Labour need to poach their media team.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can't believe you guys are against inheritance tbh. It's the last way of giving your kids something tangible and useful.
Most people will leave a 150 grand semi detached family home, not a bloody mansion or castle like it seems people think.
Now to go trick my dad into buying me an f40 as I assume cars are still free of taxes such as this!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Inheritance is bad, but it's degrees. When people "piss & moan" about it entrenching privilege, I'm more concerned about the estates owned by people like the Duke of Westminster (richest person in the world under 30, owns 0.22% of Britain, including 300 acres of prime land in London around Mayfair & Belgravia) than my next door neighbours who bought a council house 2 to 3 decades ago. I'd rather we worry about fixing the first before worrying about the second.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bape Culture posted:

Can't believe you guys are against inheritance tbh. It's the last way of giving your kids something tangible and useful.
Most people will leave a 150 grand semi detached family home, not a bloody mansion or castle like it seems people think.
Now to go trick my dad into buying me an f40 as I assume cars are still free of taxes such as this!

lol where can you get a semi-detached home for 150k?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

JFairfax posted:

The North

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JFairfax posted:

Some of the new builds around boro are supposedly starting at 100k.

Given that those same builds have houses that presumably are 1 up 1 down + toilet cupboard, going by the outside dimensions, I'm not sure this qualifies as a house.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Was looking on Rightmove earlier, saw a couple of 3 bedroom semi-detacheds in Glasgow for under £80k. Not necessarily in the best area though.

Pretty sure my folks 3 bedroom semi-detached, in a village outside of Inverness, would be worth somewhere between £110k-130k. I assume the same can be said for places in the north east of England & lots of other unfashionable spots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're basically getting a two storey brick shed for 100k which isn't great imo.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

I bought a 3 bed semi detached house in Nottingham for 117k

Also gentle reminder that accumulated wealth through inheritance is one of the most distorting things to a society

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So basically nowhere good then

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

MikeCrotch posted:

Also gentle reminder that accumulated wealth through inheritance is one of the most distorting things to a society

Cool. Now lets do something about it that doesn't specifically target the disabled and vulnerable.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I think the best would be to just tax inheritances over £500k or so much more aggressively.

Of course, that's where most donors are, so fat chance of that ever happening

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

I bought a 3 bed semi detached house in Nottingham for 117k

Dementia affects poorer communities in a disproportionate way and making people sell their houses to private care firms is not redistributive you loving mug

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

JFairfax posted:

I'm selling a beautiful 3 bedroom semi in saltburn, which is lovely, for 160.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The big problem with inheritance is when people who own houses (because do houses exist that are worth less than 100k now?) but don't have enough money to pay for care, die without remortgaging their house.

That's where we will strike, at the owner/occupiers.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The big problem with inheritance is when people who own houses (because do houses exist that are worth less than 100k now?) but don't have enough money to pay for care, die without remortgaging their house.

That's where we will strike, at the owner/occupiers.
It isn't a problem that "people" aren't enriching the banks at the expense of their families by remortgaging imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

It isn't a problem that "people" aren't enriching the banks at the expense of their families by remortgaging imo.

I might have been being facetious.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Like if your mum got early onset alzheimers and some care firm took over the house, remortgaging was ordered by government fiat and suddenly it costs £30k over its normal market cost to buy back from them, the public is getting hosed. And that is what will happen if this government wins and enacts the Dementia Tax legislation.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

80k is rich but 100k is a small inheritance

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

80k is rich but 100k is a small inheritance

You're a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Let's force ALL property into the hands of a handful of tycoons because... communism?! Howay lads.

• Locked thread