Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Avatar was stunning in many ways but while watching it in giant glorious IMAX 3D HD all I could do was laugh and marvel at how awful the script was. I mean, spend that much for a movie, develop film technologies JUST FOR THAT loving MOVIE, and it reads like a first draft by Lucas. I get it, piss poor scripts are made into giant budgeted movies all the time, but man alive Cameron had total control of that project. Why the gently caress didn't he get a better script for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Unobtanium. Come the gently caress on.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Justin Credible posted:

Avatar was stunning in many ways but while watching it in giant glorious IMAX 3D HD all I could do was laugh and marvel at how awful the script was. I mean, spend that much for a movie, develop film technologies JUST FOR THAT loving MOVIE, and it reads like a first draft by Lucas. I get it, piss poor scripts are made into giant budgeted movies all the time, but man alive Cameron had total control of that project. Why the gently caress didn't he get a better script for it?

You're not allowed to judge it, as it is but 1/6th of the full tapestry that James Cameroon will weave.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just watched Avatar a few weeks ago in 3D on the PlayStation VR and it was kinda cool.

Maybe after 12 years the sequel will do something really revolutionary and game-changing for the film industry: pay a script writer.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mng posted:

Honestly this is all you​ even need to hear. The movie clearly insults your intelligence. It doesn't care, why should you?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I still can't get over the fact that it's canon that Avatar and The Core exist in the same continuity.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm blown away that people even remember Avatar, I saw it in 3d when it came out and it convinced me to never pay for a 3d movie again. Not sure why people were so hyped about the effects when the most impressive thing it did was make blue alien tree spores look like they're in front of the screen a little bit.

Everything about the movie sucked lol, also no one really mentions how in this universe the avatar program makes no loving sense. Earth has a severe energy crisis which I guess means we have no energy, and humans need to explore Pandora despite its toxic atmosphere for unobtanium. So, instead of investing in exo-skeletons or mechs, or bio-suits or something normal, they decide to invest who knows how much time and money into a program where they transfer your consciousness into a loving bio-engineered organism.

The whole story is the lieutenant guy asks mr. cripple to figure out where the big tree is so he can blowed it up. Are you telling me you couldn't just get satellite images or scan the surface or something? You can transfer loving human consciousness but you can't scan a planet's surface? Of course once they find the big tree, they blowed it up, so what's the point of the loving avatar program in the first place if you're willing to blow up the forest and tis inhabitants to find unobtanium?

The movie is loving nonsense, if humans can't get the unobtanium on pandora then the human race is loving screwed because we don't have energy, so all the movie-goers cheering for Sully as he defeated the evil military man at the end are actually cheering the death of the human race.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the good fax machine posted:

Same

I thought it was funny that it came right on the heels of Interstellar, a space movie in which he played a bad guy (sort of?)

He went mad, not bad.

The dialogue is great when he turns as he still holds a sliver of his conscience so he spends a lot of time justifying himself to everyone within ear shot.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Matt Damon justifying his actions to himself and then getting blown up mid sentence is a great scene.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
intersteller is a really good sci fi movie and anybody who says otherwise is a dumbo

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's okay? It had no interesting characters

I liked the docking scene I GUESS

the love stuff was dumb

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a bone to pick posted:

I'm blown away that people even remember Avatar, I saw it in 3d when it came out and it convinced me to never pay for a 3d movie again. Not sure why people were so hyped about the effects when the most impressive thing it did was make blue alien tree spores look like they're in front of the screen a little bit.

Everything about the movie sucked lol, also no one really mentions how in this universe the avatar program makes no loving sense. Earth has a severe energy crisis which I guess means we have no energy, and humans need to explore Pandora despite its toxic atmosphere for unobtanium. So, instead of investing in exo-skeletons or mechs, or bio-suits or something normal, they decide to invest who knows how much time and money into a program where they transfer your consciousness into a loving bio-engineered organism.

The whole story is the lieutenant guy asks mr. cripple to figure out where the big tree is so he can blowed it up. Are you telling me you couldn't just get satellite images or scan the surface or something? You can transfer loving human consciousness but you can't scan a planet's surface? Of course once they find the big tree, they blowed it up, so what's the point of the loving avatar program in the first place if you're willing to blow up the forest and tis inhabitants to find unobtanium?

The movie is loving nonsense, if humans can't get the unobtanium on pandora then the human race is loving screwed because we don't have energy, so all the movie-goers cheering for Sully as he defeated the evil military man at the end are actually cheering the death of the human race.

ur mostly right but i think the whole thing was that the scientist wanted to make avatars and convince the navi to share unobtanium, and the soldier guys were there to just take the poo poo if that didnt work. so they find any excuse to say the scientists failed so they can go hog wild on some savages.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Avatar is boring trash and I don't understand how it made so much money.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I think I empathized with Anne Hathaway the most. also Anne Hathaway in a space suit is definitely my fetish.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

mng posted:

I honestly never saw the problem with this. Scientists give lovely / "clever" names to things all the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Maybe after 12 years the sequel will do something really revolutionary and game-changing for the film industry: pay a script writer.

lmao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Light Gun Man posted:

Honestly this is all you​ even need to hear. The movie clearly insults your intelligence. It doesn't care, why should you?

I'd have a lot more respect for the Marvel movies if they just called the Infinity Stones "MacGuffin Cubes"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

mng posted:

Unobtanium is a dumb word, but it's been around since at least the 1970s. It's scientific and engineering shorthand for a theoretical material with properties (such as tensile strength) greater than anything currently known to exist. Everyone thinks it's some new element invented for Avatar for some reason. As mentioned, the word was also used in The Core like a decade previously.

Trunko posted:

intersteller is a really good sci fi movie and anybody who says otherwise is a dumbo

Interstellar was two thirds of an excellent movie. Shame about that ending though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Anything involving Anne Hathaway in Interstellar made me want to die.

Nolan is a good technical director but I genuinely don't think he understands human emotions.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Trunko posted:

You're the guy who's proud of figuring out Inception and thinks no one else "got it", aren't you?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anything involving Anne Hathaway in Interstellar made me want to die.

I like when she gives this whole speech about love bypassing space-time or whatever and then it cuts to Matthew McConaughey and he's like "you just hosed the whole mission." And then he walks away lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

a bone to pick posted:

I like when she gives this whole speech about love bypassing space-time or whatever and then it cuts to Matthew McConaughey and he's like "you just hosed the whole mission." And then he walks away lol.

That's the main scene I'm talking about.
I genuinely walked out to take a piss during that scene. I didn't really need to or anything but it was so loving bad.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

counterfeitsaint posted:

Interstellar was two thirds of an excellent movie. Shame about that ending though.

Do you think true spaceman detective jacked it while black hole bookcase peeping on his daughter?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
When discussing why nobody cares about Avatar I think people give too much credit to it not being very good and not enough credit to Hollywood just deciding to let it sleep. If they had put a sequel out two years later and kept the marketing engine cranked up properly during that time, and kept going, Avatar would absolutely still be a thing, regardless of its lack of merit.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

ur mostly right but i think the whole thing was that the scientist wanted to make avatars and convince the navi to share unobtanium, and the soldier guys were there to just take the poo poo if that didnt work. so they find any excuse to say the scientists failed so they can go hog wild on some savages.

That makes a little sense but if the Earth is in such an energy crisis that they're willing to travel light years to a new planet for its energy, why would they invest resources in a program that's not guaranteed to work and probably requires a poo poo-load of energy?

I'm sorry to say, but I think the military were the good guys here, if its a literal life-or-death situation for the human race I would expect us to go full GWB and steal some alien's oil.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of movies that are good (unlike Avatar) and those rlm chaps, Raw Force is on youtube and it owns.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Actually this is the only part that made sense.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HoAssHo posted:

The Martian is a great movie to watch drunk on a plane but once you try to watch it sober in your living room you will probably find yourself apologizing to your friends who you talked it up to.

Thankfully, China was there to help us with their superior rocket technology in our time of need.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

a bone to pick posted:

That makes a little sense but if the Earth is in such an energy crisis that they're willing to travel light years to a new planet for its energy, why would they invest resources in a program that's not guaranteed to work and probably requires a poo poo-load of energy?

I'm sorry to say, but I think the military were the good guys here, if its a literal life-or-death situation for the human race I would expect us to go full GWB and steal some alien's oil.

Apparently we must have mined out our own solar system and converted the gas giants into fuel and harnessed 100% of the power of our sun because you'd only slow boat go to another star system with hostile natives if all those other options were dried up.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fartbox posted:

Ridley Scott is 80 years old

most of you wont live that long

just a friendly reminder

death is certain

I hope I can live through 2069.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gildiss posted:

Thankfully, China was there to help us with their superior rocket technology in our time of need.

I am not sure whether it was the book or the movie but the Chinese stole the design from NASA. The reason why NASA had to go to the Chinese was that they had a rocket ready to go since theirs exploded because they pushed the deadline as hard as they did.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a bone to pick posted:

ya thats basically it. we gently caress over whales noooooooo problemmo right now..... and then in the future we find literal aliens whose resource rich planet we aren't even living on? and someone thinks we'd play nice? we'd nuke it into collectible chunks and drag that poo poo back to Earth's orbit.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Trunko posted:

I really like it too but I don't think anyone saying otherwise is a dumbo because I agree that the love stuff was hokey. It kinda depends on what your threshold for sentimental stuff is. Arrival's another really well made sci-fi movie that pushed the emotional stuff a bit too much (though to a much lesser degree) and I think both these movies would be much stronger with less of that poo poo but most people don't want just straight up hard sci-fi anymore.

That part in Interstellar where they're on the planet for a couple hours and when they get back to the ship, 20 years or whatever has passed was loving devastating though oh my god.

naem
May 29, 2011

Zmej posted:

I think I empathized with Anne Hathaway the most. also Anne Hathaway in a space suit is definitely my fetish.

What if Anne Hathaway and Jessica chastian had to share a spacesuit. You know, for warmth..

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

ya thats basically it. we gently caress over whales noooooooo problemmo right now..... and then in the future we find literal aliens whose resource rich planet we aren't even living on? and someone thinks we'd play nice? we'd nuke it into collectible chunks and drag that poo poo back to Earth's orbit.

Star trek four was good.

Edit-
Shinjobi can you get us all into a custom screening of star trek 4 for the first ever meeting of the RLM Club Movie Club?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mike needs to create a Patreon tier for "party with RLM staff once per year" and charge like $1k per month.

I wonder how many lonely nerds will pay for it?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

HoAssHo posted:

Arrival's another really well made sci-fi movie that pushed the emotional stuff a bit too much (though to a much lesser degree) and I think both these movies would be much stronger with less of that poo poo but most people don't want just straight up hard sci-fi anymore.

the problem for me with Arrival is at the end of the movie when she has a sit-down with one of the aliens, where the alien looks into the camera and then gives 10 minutes of exposition to explain the entire ending. Then those scenes with her daughter at the end just go onnn and onnnnnn, I get it already just end the movie!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A patreon where you get to sit in the viewing room and be a guest on BotW.

Tier 3: $10,000
Plinketto with You, Mike, Rich, and Jay

Tier 2: $5,000
Wheel of the Worst with You, Mike, Jack, and Jay

Tier 1: $1,000
Battle of the Genres with You, Josh, Jack, and Max Landis

Premium Gold Star Donor: $25,000
You get to take Rich home with you

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

A patreon where you get to sit in the viewing room and be a guest on BotW.

Tier 3: $10,000
Plinketto with You, Mike, Rich, and Jay

Tier 2: $5,000
Wheel of the Worst with You, Mike, Jack, and Jay

Tier 1: $1,000
Battle of the Genres with You, Josh, Jack, and Max Landis

Premium Gold Star Donor: $25,000
You get to take Rich home with you

they would make so much loving money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It might be worth it as long as all nerdos signed a release allowing themselves to be completely owned during conversations to whatever degree they deserve.

• Locked thread