Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

Necron is explained. he's explained right before you fight him, so maybe what you want is for him to be mentioned at some point before then

"You stand before the final dimension, and I am the darkness of eternity..."

Zidane
"Wh-Who are you!?"

"All life bears death from birth. Life fears death, but lives only to die. It starts with anxiety. Anxiety becomes fear. Fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to suffering... The only cure for this fear is total destruction. Kuja was a victim of his own fear. He concluded he could only save himself by destroying the origin of all things - the crystal. ...Now, the theory is undeniable. Kuja's action proves it. All things live to perish." At last, life has uncovered this truth. Now, it is time to end this world."

I don't really hear an actual explanation in any of this? What does "darkness of eternity" and "final dimension" mean? Zidane actaully asks Necron who he is and the only response is nihilistic rambling.

I would like to know where Necron came from, how it got here, were the party actually dead and in Hell at the end and if so how did Kuja revive all of them?

Everything with Memoria feels rather tacked on. Like, how did Memoria get there? Did Kuja make it? Why did he have to make it to reach the Crystal?

Alright, in my IX remake, I'd try to explain the entire final part of the game better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd argue FF9 doesn't really need a remake. Definitely not saying it's perfect, but most of its problems are with its load times and slow battle system, stuff that can be tweaked in the original (and stuff the Steam/mobile versions mostly fix).

Personally I think there's much more potential with remakes of Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, or Xenogears (though good luck with that last one for a few reasons).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I'd argue FF9 doesn't really need a remake. Definitely not saying it's perfect, but most of its problems are with its load times and slow battle system, stuff that can be tweaked in the original (and stuff the Steam/mobile versions mostly fix).

Personally I think there's much more potential with remakes of Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, or Xenogears (though good luck with that last one for a few reasons).

Well poo poo, I was only thinking of FF games. gently caress FFVIII, bring on a Chrono Cross remake with a stable party of Serge, Kid, Karsh, Glenn, Magus, Harle and....Fargo. Maybe Nikki. Need a couple characters for the demihuman subplot. Also make sure Mitsuda is involved for at least some of the rearrangements. Also an ending that doesn't feel like they ran out of money.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Remake doesn't just mean full blown triple a production. Alpha sapphire pokemon is a remake, fire emblem echoes is a remake, tactics ogre was a remake. You can still have a small scale modern improvement on ff9 without making it controversial.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Attitude Indicator posted:

i don't know if remaking FF8 into a different kind of terrible game will solve anything
Yeah, its already good. Maybe they could remake FF9 and fix the pacing instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just making it so every battle didn't use up a year of your life would be an improvement.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A Xenogears remake would be so awesome but drat it is not a story that is easily digestible. It features probably the best writing of the late 90s JRPGs.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
All I want them to do is give me FFVIII with HD graphics. I don't even want VA. Just treat it like the FFVII update that's currently on PS4 and I'd be perfectly fine to part with my money.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Vargatron posted:

A Xenogears remake would be so awesome but drat it is not a story that is easily digestible. It features probably the best writing of the late 90s JRPGs.

And then the obvious part of they need to actually make half the game this time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really want to see how the FFXIV Red Mage is going to play, because if it's actually fun and not just kind of a mess it sounds like a job made specifically for me. Mobility? A mix between close-range swordfighting and flashy, longer-ranged magic? A good hat? I want all of that.

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't really hear an actual explanation in any of this? What does "darkness of eternity" and "final dimension" mean? Zidane actaully asks Necron who he is and the only response is nihilistic rambling.

I would like to know where Necron came from, how it got here, were the party actually dead and in Hell at the end and if so how did Kuja revive all of them?

Much like Persona final bosses, Necron's a thematic final boss, rather than an actual character. Fighting him is supposed to be representative of the party conquering their fear of their own mortality, which is the battle that Kuja lost. Personally, at least, I prefer that to a long conversation about Necron's whole history and where he came from.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Harrow posted:

Much like Persona final bosses, Necron's a thematic final boss, rather than an actual character. Fighting him is supposed to be representative of the party conquering their fear of their own mortality, which is the battle that Kuja lost. Personally, at least, I prefer that to a long conversation about Necron's whole history and where he came from.

I think that's cool and all, but I still think there's a better way to introduce it earlier to not completely come out of left field. Thematically the idea is built up, yes, but the actual scenario needs to be built up a little as well.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"You see, a long time ago I was part of an advanced civilization that had reached the end of its evolution and collapsed. So I took my giant moon ship and my machine that pops out green haired waifus and took it upon myself to roam the stars, testing each civilization I encountered to determine if they were worthy of evolution by sending out the crystals. Your civilization has failed the test, and so must perish."

"Necron thats loving dumb."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Well poo poo, I was only thinking of FF games. gently caress FFVIII, bring on a Chrono Cross remake with a stable party of Serge, Kid, Karsh, Glenn, Magus, Harle and....Fargo. Maybe Nikki. Need a couple characters for the demihuman subplot. Also make sure Mitsuda is involved for at least some of the rearrangements. Also an ending that doesn't feel like they ran out of money.

this but now every NPC is recruitable

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spend time scouring the gameworld to get Skelly so that I can have him and his grandmother on my team.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

this but now every NPC is recruitable

Except Poshul and Pierre

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Necron makes perfect sense as an eidolon born from Kuja's nihilism just like Madeen is an eidolon born from the love of Eiko's family.

You just need to spend a little more time establishing that that's a thing that happens.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Except Poshul and Pierre

poshul is dead in my perfect game, you fight him as the first boss

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Instead of rainbow scales from lizards, you get into Leena's pants with the rare and highly prized "inner intestine from a giant piece of poo poo".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Vargatron posted:

HD chair

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As nice as it would be to have a cleaned up translation, graphics that aren't an assault on your eyes, and Babel Tower reworked so it wasn't the worst dungeon in the history of anything. I'd be too worried they'd gently caress it all up. Take all the fear that "they just don't get it" with the FFVII remake but multiply it by a 100. Xenogears was a product of its time and it's built on mecha tropes and references as much as it's built on great characters and an intriguing story.

I do think Xenogears is legitimately great but would it work in the 21st Century? I dunno, and that's assuming everything goes perfectly with the hypothetical remake's development.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Xenogears sucks, hth

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Xenogears sucks, hth

whoa hey another spicy take by our resident Good Opinion Haver

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Necron being this weird, Brechtian disintegration of the end of FF9's narrative actually owns since it forces people to confront what the hell the game's narrative is actually doing, especially for a game that begins with a theater troupe exploiting the power of illusion and performance. A potential FF9 remake should actually double down on this and somehow push it even further.

NikkolasKing posted:

I do think Xenogears is legitimately great but would it work in the 21st Century? I dunno, and that's assuming everything goes perfectly with the hypothetical remake's development.
Honestly if all you did was speed up Xenogears' text it would play a lot better now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 18, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SE already did a remake of Chrono Cross, it's called Final Fantasy 13-2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

SE already did a remake of Chrono Cross, it's called Final Fantasy 13-2.

That was a pretty awesome game....

Sadly there was no ending where Noel and Serah say gently caress all this noise and instead join a rock band.

I un-ironically want all games to have alternate endings where the heroes just abandon the quest and instead go do other things.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Honestly if all you did was speed up Xenogears' text it would play a lot better now.

maybe also make the hour long cutscene with the mc sitting in a chair anything but that

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The only reason I wanted xenogears when it came out was cuz i was really into evangelion at the time but the actual game was rubbish

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

That was a pretty awesome game....

Sadly there was no ending where Noel and Serah say gently caress all this noise and instead join a rock band.

I un-ironically want all games to have alternate endings where the heroes just abandon the quest and instead go do other things.

Does the ending where Serah stays in the Lightning Dream world near the end and forgets Noel + Mog + her adventure count?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Can we still post cool remixes and arrangements? Meant to post this one back when you guys were still talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Cqvaqj0Ls

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

maybe also make the hour long cutscene with the mc sitting in a chair anything but that

The child powered mech launcher and the gun that uses a character's dad as ammo, but in full HD . Thats about all I remember about xenogears but that alone deserves an HD version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

change the chair into a body pillow of citan uzuki in a swimsuit

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You're right, it should be two or three hours longer instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Meridian posted:

Can we still post cool remixes and arrangements? Meant to post this one back when you guys were still talking about it.

Music chat is always welcome, mostly because it's the only thing all of us can agree is good about the series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raxivace posted:

for some reason i seem to recall that there's a gameshark code that does this.

it's crap though if it messes the timing of

I AM

A MAN

OF THE SEA!

up

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is Exponential Entropy good or is it like one of those Stockholm syndrome things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also the Four Job Fiesta thread is up for those interested.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Is Exponential Entropy good or is it like one of those Stockholm syndrome things.

forward and back and then forward and back

and then go forward and back then put one foot forward

forward and back and then forward and back

and then

go forward and back then put one foot forward

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

It's good.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

It's good.

Hmm...precisely what someone who has been Stockholm'd would say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Saint Freak posted:

It's both.