Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Yeah my farm is 32x32 with MFR Harvesters in a ring on the outside with +13 upgrades so it could reach the middle. I can try limiting it to rows of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

infinity evolved skyblock status:

note to anyone trying this: the convocation of the damned doesn't work in a void world unless you have a 200x200x7 platform for it to rest on, minimum

only took me two tries before i figured this out :shepicide:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dareon posted:

I'd recommend Super Crafting Frame, it lets you plonk down a wall-mounted crafting frame that holds up to four recipes and will craft them for you out of stuff in your inventory (Or a nearby chest, but I don't quite know how to work that yet). It's been useful to me for setting up MineColonies stuff: "I need another 200 oak wood stairs... Just need to punch the frame a few dozen times." Also useful for putting together machine precursors. Plus it has EXP storage and item deletion functions.

I thought, "That's dumb" and then thought about how many torches I had gone through lighting up this dungeon under my house. So yes, that's on the list.

I'm going to look into the Nian Zhu's as well. A skeleton one would be nice since they've been really annoying to me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Whoa how have I ever gone without refined storage in the past

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Whoa how have I ever gone without refined storage in the past

By using AE? :confused:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So playing COTT. After a bit of false starts, I've settled on a base that has a bridge leading to a tower leading to a gigantic dirt platform. I'll setup some anti-nerdpole zombie turrets shortly.

However, I keep getting Fire Elementals up there. What's the spawn rules on those sons of bitches?

edit: well COTT turns out to be the first modpack to drive me to cheat in an RS creative system. When you have like 160 mods and your early game options are 'really, really slowly build up storage drawers since we locked that behind creosote oil' or 'hope you like Colossal Chests, which are colossally awful to use' that basically does it for me. I'll replace it with a proper one later, but too many mods, too many items, no way I'm fighting with storage while I'm already dying constantly to other poo poo.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 17, 2017

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I'm so terrible at combat in this game, I find myself constantly switching it to peaceful. Which kind of ruins the point of COTT and GrimDark, I guess. I just can't stand getting stomped within 5 minutes of a new game. Better Combat mod goes a long way to making it better, but I have a hard time even getting started when I have to worry about dying to witches. I wish easy mode was, like, actually easy - It doesn't seem to do anything different? I'm not opposed to having to deal with mobs, I just can't handle it when there's a bunch of them.

Ah well, I'll keep trying.

On another note - is there something in particular that makes me unable to place torches/break blocks in certain chunks, or is that a desync issue? I've noticed that Grimdark seems to chug a lot more than, say, the Direwolf20 pack. Mipmaps are off, it's got loads of memory.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I wish the Refined Storage and Storage Reborn was backported to 1.7.10. AE2 is great for everything I do but the autocrafting. I can't figure out the correct way to use co-processors.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

I wish the Refined Storage and Storage Reborn was backported to 1.7.10. AE2 is great for everything I do but the autocrafting. I can't figure out the correct way to use co-processors.

It's been a while since I set up AE2 autocrafting, but IIRC, just put a crafting CPU and a coprocessor together (any tier, higher tiers just make it go faster), and plug em in. That's all.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

It's been a while since I set up AE2 autocrafting, but IIRC, just put a crafting CPU and a coprocessor together (any tier, higher tiers just make it go faster), and plug em in. That's all.

They multiblock together, so yes.

If wanting to parallel crafting for more speed, use a full-size ME interface and place multiple Molecular Assemblers around it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

A 'crafting CPU' is a multiblock rectangular prism shape (that begins from 1x1) that includes any number of Crafting Units, Crafting Storage blocks, Crafting Co-Processing Units, and Crafting Monitors. At the very least you need a single Crafting Storage, but the amount of storage determines how many ingredients can be 'held' for crafting with, thus increasing the complexity of what you can autocraft in a single job.

Crafting Co-Processors on the other hand increase what can be done in parallel. Let's say you have five Molecular Assemblers with an Interface each, and you are doing a single job that uses a pattern in each interface. Without a co-processor, it will use one interface at a time to craft its pattern in the associated assembler. With four co-processors, all five assemblers will be engaged at once. So they -can- speed up crafting but only with jobs that can take advantage of multiple interfaces and their attached machine.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 18, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

So let's say I have 4 co-processors and 6 Molecular Assemblers surrounding an ME Interface, with a pattern inside the ME Interface, would adding more than 4 co-processors speed up the item in that one Molecular Assembler? Something simple like wood planks to sticks for eg.

What if I add 1000 co-processors, would it make wood-to-sticks SUPER fast?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What is the purpose of auto crafting? Surely it would take less time to just craft what you want with a Project Table than the time it takes to set up an automated system. It's not like you are designing a mass production, most times you only need to craft something for a mod once.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Rutibex posted:

What is the purpose of auto crafting? Surely it would take less time to just craft what you want with a Project Table than the time it takes to set up an automated system. It's not like you are designing a mass production, most times you only need to craft something for a mod once.

Well it's like, I decide I need 100 Mekanism Elite Factories and each one has lots of sub components.

Although I recently found out about Level Limiter > Export Bus > ME Interface with a sub component in the export bus, with the redstone signal+crafting cards set to "never use existing stock, always craft new" that way I can keep a few thousand of each and every component for anything I might need.

I've yet to set up that type of array though.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 18, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I'm tempted to turn off x-ray vision in COTT but I feel like it takes too much out of it. On the other hand, leaving it in has enemies tunneling to my base from across the map. People suggested digging into mountains, but enemies just dug in from random sides. I tried a sky base, but zombies just nerdpoled up.
I guess my next attempt is a skybase with turrets and spikes.

I dug into a fairly big mountian, then down, then down some more.

Yeah is went into creative last night.

I was taking on zombies as they came into my base (i was too slow getting back in) a banshee spawned, so i said gently caress gently caress and backed up while trying to drop reinforced blocks in my tunnel. Managed to get 2 down and then one on top to stop the banshee and i died. Ran back to my corpse to find it camped by a 300+ hp fire elemental that had spawned in BEHIND me.

Maybe the banshees spawn them?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ak Gara posted:

Well it's like, I decide I need 100 Mekanism Elite Factories and each one has lots of sub components.

Although I recently found out about Level Limiter > Export Bus > ME Interface with a sub component in the export bus, with the redstone signal+crafting cards set to "never use existing stock, always craft new" that way I can keep a few thousand of each and every component for anything I might need.

I've yet to set up that type of array though.

Doing that way is heavier on channels than just putting together the chain of recipes required for the full product. It's definitely something I've considered once I've got a big enough ME system that I can use P2P tunnels to push enough channels to one spot easily.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I turned channels off, too limiting. That or I just couldn't wrap my head around them.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Rutibex posted:

With ae2? Autocrafting is set and forget. You just add recipes (which only take a couple of seconds to make) to your preexisting system; you're not setting up an individual assembly line for every single thing you want to automate. When something has component parts with their own crafting recipes, autocrafting can be significantly faster than manually doing it yourself.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What do you guys reccomend as a "getting started" modpack for someone who hasnt really messed with modded minecraft before? I played a wee bit of agrarian skies 2 back in the day but didnt get far. I was considering nuts and bolts torqued possibly. Something with some structure I guess.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Really? You've never played a mod that has components that need to be made each time you craft an item or machine from the mod? Or needed a lot of a certain item, perhaps that has a number of steps?

Saaaay.. IC2 insulated wires? Metal plates? Bat boxes? Transformers?

With AE2 you make a 'pattern' or recipe, stick it into a slot, and you can forever make that with a click. And furthermore, any other patterns that require what that pattern makes will automatically call that and add it to the autocraft queue. The nesting of patterns is the real strength of AE2 autocrafting. You can start from base resources and have it make everything it needs to craft what you want.

queeb posted:

What do you guys reccomend as a "getting started" modpack for someone who hasnt really messed with modded minecraft before? I played a wee bit of agrarian skies 2 back in the day but didnt get far. I was considering nuts and bolts torqued possibly. Something with some structure I guess.

Baby's First Space Race.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

Really? You've never played a mod that has components that need to be made each time you craft an item or machine from the mod? Or needed a lot of a certain item, perhaps that has a number of steps?

Saaaay.. IC2 insulated wires? Metal plates? Bat boxes? Transformers?

With AE2 you make a 'pattern' or recipe, stick it into a slot, and you can forever make that with a click. And furthermore, any other patterns that require what that pattern makes will automatically call that and add it to the autocraft queue. The nesting of patterns is the real strength of AE2 autocrafting. You can start from base resources and have it make everything it needs to craft what you want.

I used to make auto crafting systems with Logistics Pipes and autocrafting tables from Buildcraft. That was fun because you could watch all the little items whiz around and craft themselves, but it was always a waste of time compared to just crafting things in a Project Table. Seriously you can craft 64 of an item in one click, even if it is multi step it only takes a few clicks to craft anything complex.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

I used to make auto crafting systems with Logistics Pipes and autocrafting tables from Buildcraft. That was fun because you could watch all the little items whiz around and craft themselves, but it was always a waste of time compared to just crafting things in a Project Table. Seriously you can craft 64 of an item in one click, even if it is multi step it only takes a few clicks to craft anything complex.

AE2 works a lot better than Buildcraft logistics pipes dude. And it also allows for external machine processing, such as sending ore to a grinder and then dust to a furnace, or metal to a plate press, etc all in a single click. It can -also- store hundreds of patterns easily, letting you autocraft any little items you might need a lot of across a number of different mods. All connected to your essentially infinite centralised AE2 storage.

Also apparently your idea of 'anything complex' is pretty simple and doesn't include things like Simply Jetpacks' Jet-plates and Mekanism high-tier stuff. Or recipes that require things that don't stack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Having been basically forced into using Logistics Pipes for inventory management by Infinity Evolved Skyblock's strict tech gating, there are definitely things about it that beat the pants off of AE2 and its ilk.

* Parallelization. AE2 requires expenditure of channels to increase parallelization of crafting. LP crafting occurs in parallel infinitely out of the box.

* Stocking. It's extremely easy to configure an LP network to keep X items in stock at all times, crafting new items when stock runs low.

* Precise input inventory placement. I can specifically choose which inventory slots to fill in a machine (like an IC2 reactor.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rutibex posted:

You should probably just hit up one of the goon servers that has been running a tech pack for some time. Maybe lolmer can give you the hookup. You can probably run something through the setup without consequence since everything sustainable has a rig for it in the network. Seeing a big rig in action is something else. It's definitely geared to a certain kind of player, so you might not see the point of it all, but I don't think you'd be able to argue the effect of a massive AE2 brain doing all the things.

I have to concede that I never tried the stuff in logistics pipes, but the gist of what I get is AE/AE2/variants will keep tabs on long running stuff that have to mix crafting with time-bound fabrication steps with machines. When you queue up to make something, it will tell you how much of everything it has to make, and then just hum along on it. On a server, you can slap down a chunkloader, give the thing a crafting job as "homework" and then run off. You can ask why somebody would feel bothered to do that, and make an argument that it should not be necessary to do something like that, but you know there are people that just relish in those excesses and AE and friends delivers.

I push towards this level of automation in one advanced branch of the BFSR quest line. They have to make a bunch of pylons for spatial storage, and it's much easier for AE2 to manage than the player having to do the math and run through all the steps.

One of my criticisms of the whole thing is that everybody that wants to do this thing has to first automate all the AE2 components themselves. It's a little bit of naval gazing that I thought was a little excessive, but I don't know how it would be done any differently.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

* Parallelization. AE2 requires expenditure of channels to increase parallelization of crafting. LP crafting occurs in parallel infinitely out of the box.

* Stocking. It's extremely easy to configure an LP network to keep X items in stock at all times, crafting new items when stock runs low.

It's easy to keep a full stock supply, just point a Level Emitter at an Export bus (with a crafting card set to "always make the item you're exporting") aimed at an Interface.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ak Gara posted:

It's easy to keep a full stock supply, just point a Level Emitter at an Export bus (with a crafting card set to "always make the item you're exporting") aimed at an Interface.

Won't that be pretty imprecise when dealing with recipes that have a cooking step, especially if the recipe has multiple cooking steps? If you set your level emitter to activate when say, 64 plastic are in the system, then the minute your stock drops to 63 plastic won't your export bus just dump a full stack of 64 rubber bars into your furnace to cook?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You should probably just hit up one of the goon servers that has been running a tech pack for some time. Maybe lolmer can give you the hookup. You can probably run something through the setup without consequence since everything sustainable has a rig for it in the network. Seeing a big rig in action is something else. It's definitely geared to a certain kind of player, so you might not see the point of it all, but I don't think you'd be able to argue the effect of a massive AE2 brain doing all the things.

Unfortunately Modderation: Permabanned, with the large Goon Labs AE2 and power setup, is no longer running. :'(

AE2 is great for in-depth, or high quantity, crafting jobs on-demand (or even keep in stock) tasks that @Rutibex apparently isn't familiar with. Use whatever floats your boat, there's no One Mod to Rule Them All, except maybe Botania. ;)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lolmer posted:

Unfortunately Modderation: Permabanned, with the large Goon Labs AE2 and power setup, is no longer running. :'(
I assumed as such, but figured this moved on to something else. Do you not know any equivalent thrown up on somebody's server somewhere? Nobody?

I've been hoping in 1.10.2 that I'd find a server where some people are up to similar shenanigans myself.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Having been basically forced into using Logistics Pipes for inventory management by Infinity Evolved Skyblock's strict tech gating, there are definitely things about it that beat the pants off of AE2 and its ilk.

* Precise input inventory placement. I can specifically choose which inventory slots to fill in a machine (like an IC2 reactor.)

If you need parallelization past 6 assemblers, sure, LP scales better there. But you would be having to do something extreme that 6 crafts per tick won't cover a task.
Stocking can be done with two channels, one for an interface (and include a crafting card) and the second for a storage bus pointing at it, then fill the interface with the stacks you want to keep topped up.
Precision can be done with a secondary mod. Use some block with inventory as a drop off point for an interface, then whatever conduit/pipe/transfer system you got to dump it into the specific slots. It's probably the second thing I do when setting up an AE system (the first is getting the storage put together).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Won't that be pretty imprecise when dealing with recipes that have a cooking step, especially if the recipe has multiple cooking steps? If you set your level emitter to activate when say, 64 plastic are in the system, then the minute your stock drops to 63 plastic won't your export bus just dump a full stack of 64 rubber bars into your furnace to cook?

considering I like to have a minimum 50,000 of something, an extra 63 when I drop to 49,999 won't bother me.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

One of the patch notes in CotT mentions that fire elementals are bugged, and spawn in lit areas. The dev claimed to have fixed it, but it's still in-game. I've also seen those flying ender eyes spawn in lit areas, too. I highly recommend turning on keepInventory. Also, you can just switch the game to peaceful if your corpse run is impossible, or if monsters are making it impossible for you to build. That's pretty much the only way I can build on the beach without dozens of aqua creepers turning everything into a big crater.

It seems like most open-world crafting games have an inverse difficulty curve, and CotT is no exception. The game is harsh and unforgiving, until you get the correct gear/skills, then most things become trivial. The difficulty mod in CotT helps a little bit with it, but blood moons and dungeons (except for those bloody maidens who 2-shot you) become trivial once you level up and enchant some good archaic gear. I still like CotT because it maintains a feeling of progression through quests and titans. Usually, I top out in one of the major mods and it makes everything else seem obsolete.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I assumed as such, but figured this moved on to something else. Do you not know any equivalent thrown up on somebody's server somewhere? Nobody?

I've been hoping in 1.10.2 that I'd find a server where some people are up to similar shenanigans myself.

Grimdark is the only Goon 1.10 server that I'm aware of. I have 1.10.2 and 1.11.2 modpacks that I put together for my family, but I do not host any publicly available servers for them.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Can I just say, that I really hate the new trend in creating super-difficult, crazy punishing modpacks, that are also really really interesting?? I must've installed Invasion four times so far, and CoTT three times. But each of those times, I uninstall in disgust after dying fifteen million times. I always have hated the "get gud" mentality, and don't like Dark Souls one bit. I would prefer the mod packs have a nice slow ramp up to difficult, not this insane blitz attack.

rant over

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Yeah, I have that problem, too. You can jack down the difficulty in the config settings, but then you have a pack that's liable to break and have to be redone as soon as you patch it. It's hard to find a sweet spot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For CotT, the single biggest change you can make is probably to turn off x-ray vision in siege mobs. That way you'll still have to defend your base, but enemies won't randomly tunnel in any time they feel like it because they magically know where you are. The only real consequence is you'll get less enemy loot. If you're interested in the other stuff but don't like the extreme difficulty of just getting through a night, I'd recommend it as a good compromise.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

yegods posted:

Can I just say, that I really hate the new trend in creating super-difficult, crazy punishing modpacks, that are also really really interesting?? I must've installed Invasion four times so far, and CoTT three times. But each of those times, I uninstall in disgust after dying fifteen million times. I always have hated the "get gud" mentality, and don't like Dark Souls one bit. I would prefer the mod packs have a nice slow ramp up to difficult, not this insane blitz attack.

rant over

I actually agree with you, I got into CoTT because I hate myself but would not mind a modpack like it but with a little less bullshit. Take the Nether for example, it's absolutely awful. At least with the Overworld and the Beneath I can wear a bunch of charms to make mobs ignore me to get what I need but I haven't found an answer for all the random bunch of mobs in the Nether that bum rush me every five feet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

For CotT, the single biggest change you can make is probably to turn off x-ray vision in siege mobs. That way you'll still have to defend your base, but enemies won't randomly tunnel in any time they feel like it because they magically know where you are. The only real consequence is you'll get less enemy loot. If you're interested in the other stuff but don't like the extreme difficulty of just getting through a night, I'd recommend it as a good compromise.

Do they go after chests, or do the mobs only chase after the player? Seems to me the best strategy is to simply not be where your storage is during blood moons, hide elsewhere. You are not defending "your base" you are defending yourself.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Which, perhaps not so surprisingly, is exactly what the in game guide suggests you do.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Ak Gara posted:

So let's say I have 4 co-processors and 6 Molecular Assemblers surrounding an ME Interface, with a pattern inside the ME Interface, would adding more than 4 co-processors speed up the item in that one Molecular Assembler? Something simple like wood planks to sticks for eg.

What if I add 1000 co-processors, would it make wood-to-sticks SUPER fast?

Didn't see this answered. If you stick acceleration cards inside the assemblers, they'll be faster.

Co-processors and the crafting blocks are only there for you being able to make more things at the same time, and more of the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

Precision can be done with a secondary mod. Use some block with inventory as a drop off point for an interface, then whatever conduit/pipe/transfer system you got to dump it into the specific slots. It's probably the second thing I do when setting up an AE system (the first is getting the storage put together).

Eh, not usually. Steve's Factory Manager, Factorization, and (very, very laboriously and with a lot of space) Actually Additions are the only other mods I know that can do it, and they're all arcane in their own ways.

Here's a usage example: I'm grinding out Plutonium. Here's a screenshot of a 44 rod reactor, which is the best I could find on the IC2 forums after a lot of searching:

I want to automate the extraction of spent fuel rods and the insertion of fresh fuel rods. However, it's very important that the specific types of fuel rod go into specific slots, or else I'll have explosions. You've got three options:

* Use complex redstone timing. Very, very fragile, and takes up a ton of space, even if you're using a redpower analog to reduce circuit space.

* Use one of the mods above. I don't have any of those.

* Do this:

(i needed three of these per reactor)

When configuring the GUI, it'll pop up the machine's GUI and let you select a slot. It's quite nice.

Of course, you could just use a reactor with the same types of fuel rods, but that's only a little more than half of the fuel rod count per reactor.