Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Far Cry 2 was great, maybe the best game of the series (haven't tried primal yet)

Far Cry 2 turned into a real slog, what with having to constantly go past those outposts which were somehow restaffed 30 seconds after you slaughtered everyone and those dumb bar missions which required you to go to the bar to get the mission, go do the mission at some remote corner of the map and then go all the way back to the bar just to tell the guy "ok, it's done" even though you call these characters on your cell phone all the time during plot missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The_Franz posted:

Far Cry 2 turned into a real slog, what with having to constantly go past those outposts which were somehow restaffed 30 seconds after you slaughtered everyone and those dumb bar missions which required you to go to the bar to get the mission, go do the mission at some remote corner of the map and then go all the way back to the bar just to tell the guy "ok, it's done" even though you call these characters on your cell phone all the time during plot missions.

Use the drat buses.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fabricated posted:

Birthday Cake is the worst song to ever be in a videogame and Cibo Matto defenders are mentally ill

ADD SOME SUGA AAAH SOME SALT AAA SOME OIL OR MSGGGGGGG

you're totally right but that song has a special place in my heart, some weirdo on my floor freshman year kept hanging out with my roommate and farting up our room and he hated cibo matto enough that he would clear out when that came on in JSRF

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Im glad Valve doesn't make games anymore, they've lost it

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Online competitive games are more like work instead of games, and also specifically designed to make players mad at each other so they never realize how poo poo the game they are playing is.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

SpaceClown posted:

Use the drat buses.

i don't understand why people keep driving through checkpoints when there's vast expanses of jungle around them you can drive through instead

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spidder posted:

Online competitive games are more like work instead of games, and also specifically designed to make players mad at each other so they never realize how poo poo the game they are playing is.

im sorry you tried online street fighter, no one should have to go through that

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Rutibex posted:

im sorry you tried online street fighter, no one should have to go through that

stay free, scrub :smug:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Spidder posted:

People who buy headsets/leave voice chat on are stupid and their suffering is their own fault.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Spidder posted:

on a similar note, i never got the hate for snaking in Mario Kart DS. it's easy as poo poo to do. online play had no defense mechanism against ragequitters though

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

If you want a story, read a book

Somewhere the guy screaming this as movies became a thing in the 30s smiles

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Community balance/realism/whatever mods for games are stupid. At best, it's a ketchup on steak situation where the game is totally fine without anything added to it (and actually better, by most tastes). The rest of the time it's a ketchup on turd situation, where you should actually just skip the turd entirely.

Yeah, I'm going to ignore the work of 300 professionals in a development studio who worked on this full time for 2 years to install a BALANCE AND REALISM v0.3 mod from WEEDLORDSONICJEFF03 on Steam

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mods in general are stupid. Not always. Sometimes they're really cool and inspired like the Song Of Ice And Fire mod for Crusader Kings 2 is excellent. But i feel really bad for people who compulsively install ridiculous numbers of mods in a strange quest to completely change how the game appears and plays out of some very incorrect assumption that they know what's better for the game than the devs did

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Community balance/realism/whatever mods for games are stupid. At best, it's a ketchup on steak situation where the game is totally fine without anything added to it (and actually better, by most tastes). The rest of the time it's a ketchup on turd situation, where you should actually just skip the turd entirely.

Yeah, I'm going to ignore the work of 300 professionals in a development studio who worked on this full time for 2 years to install a BALANCE AND REALISM v0.3 mod from WEEDLORDSONICJEFF03 on Steam

You've clearly never played a game that was helmed by a hosed up idiot developer before. One total moron can gently caress an entire game with easy to fix adjustments. Though 99% of these are garbage made by idiots, so I see where you are coming from.

I'd bet $100 Mechwarrior:Online wouldn't have been nearly as much of a steaming pile of poo poo with community mods, for example, because the lead developer there is literally a man baby who thinks he's great at his job and nobody will tell him no. Ripping collisions out of the game entirely forever because goons kept ramming him says everything.

But yeah there's lots of horribly unbalanced poo poo games that come out. Being a professional doesn't make you not a gently caress up: See, say, Warner Brothers or Sony for movie studio equivalents of high paid lead people who have worse ideas than a typical person on the street.

basic hitler posted:

Mods in general are stupid. Not always. Sometimes they're really cool and inspired like the Song Of Ice And Fire mod for Crusader Kings 2 is excellent. But i feel really bad for people who compulsively install ridiculous numbers of mods in a strange quest to completely change how the game appears and plays out of some very incorrect assumption that they know what's better for the game than the devs did

A lot of devs don't know poo poo. You have to realize in ALL of the entertainment industry the majority of people get their jobs through sucking dick better than the competition, not talent. They're all highly incestuous with friends hiring friends to promote friends.

There are OBVIOUS exceptions but, for another example, look at the recent Civilization games.. holy fuckballs. That said I will also agree most of the community balance mods are also crap but that's why good games get like 100 of them and only one or two get popular.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 17, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

- someone who has never played a Bethesda game

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Skyui mod on skyrim is just tons better then stock.
The devs making the original didn't know poo poo about ux.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Without mods we wouldn't have CS or DOTA so what I'm saying is mods ruined gaming.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Skyui mod on skyrim is just tons better then stock.
The devs making the original didn't know poo poo about ux.

idk how anyone could play Fallout 4 and come to the conclusion "The devs knew what they were doing, there is no room for improvement"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

IKR.

There's so many things that are improved, like inventory management, which is good in a hoarding game and really lacking stock.

The simplest example I can think of is the keyring mod, that seperates hundreds of keys from inventory items. Maybe the devs knew it would be better that way but just didn't.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 18, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

a bone to pick posted:

idk how anyone could play Fallout 4 and come to the conclusion "The devs knew what they were doing, there is no room for improvement"

Bad game + mods = still a bad game

Irradiation posted:

Without mods we wouldn't have CS or DOTA so what I'm saying is mods ruined gaming.

This guy gets it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I feel bad for ya clown rear end if you cant play most TES and fallout games unmodded.

Graphic overhauls like for morrowind dont count for the purposes of what I'm saying

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Irradiation posted:

I guess no matter where you go, there's always a mod ruining a child's life somewhere. :aatrek:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

I feel bad for ya clown rear end if you cant play most TES and fallout games unmodded.

Graphic overhauls like for morrowind dont count for the purposes of what I'm saying

I can hardly play TES games unmodded but only because fantasy rpgs bore the hell out of me

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Skyrim was pretty good even without mods, but an alternate start mod is essential for multiple playthroughs, UI mods are essential, adding new balanced spells and weapons only benefit the game, new questlines and areas are beneficial. Aside from the few fetish mods the majority of mods only benefit games.

But hey this is the unpopular videogame opinions thread so basic Hitler is entitled to their incorrect opinion.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is better than any open world Bethesda game

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
fetish mods are great how dare you knock them

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This page confuses me, one of few constants of SA has been goons' unrelenting quest to lift any built-in boundary that prevents the murder of children

SpaceClown posted:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 18, 2017

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SpaceClown posted:

I downloaded a bunch of mods for Skyrim once. Not one of them was sexual in nature but for some reason nobody in the game had pants. Like not even the little loincloths, they were bare assed. I got that sorted somehow but I don't remember what I did. Crippled my immersion it's cold in Skyrim and there's no way Karliah's story would have had the same impact (moved me to tears the first time) if I could see her butt.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

WatermelonGun posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is better than any open world Bethesda game

If we're going to start just listing games that are better than Bethesda games this will become a very long thread indeed

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
:twisted: skyrim mods are okay in my book :twisted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhKnq_VhIX0 :twisted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
While it was cool how reactive Alpha Protocol was, it was an absolute chore to play and ultimately not worth it. A terrible game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mementos is fine

sometimes you wanna turn your brain off and grind for a while

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fruit on the bottom posted:

While it was cool how reactive Alpha Protocol was, it was an absolute chore to play and ultimately not worth it. A terrible game.

The thing that bugged me the most was that while they made most of the game open ended as far as how you played, it occasionally forced you into boss fights with bullet-sponge enemies and if you built a sneaky character who ran around with a silenced pistol you were basically screwed.

The dialog choices were also very vague. You would see a choice like "get out" and it could either result in the character giving a reassuring "don't worry, we'll get out of this" speech or "gently caress you get out".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Choose between such distinct personalities as:

-barely restrained psychopath
-insufferable douchebag
-I'm also here

Beat the game to also unlock ~bonus~ choices

-unpaid intern
-read the walkthrough

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Mods are like the video game version of fanfiction

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm glad Valve doesn't make games anymore

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what's the percentage of stardew valley mods that are the equivalent of a "dongs/drugs/racism" NES ROM hack?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Heroes of the Storm is fun to play

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

what's the percentage of stardew valley mods that are the equivalent of a "dongs/drugs/racism" NES ROM hack?

100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm a little late for mod chat but I have never modded my bethesda games and never felt the need to. I tried to once but it was taking so long that I quit and just played the game as it was released.

If you need to heavily mod a game for it to be playable for you, maybe you should consider getting a game you actually like out of the box, seems like a lot less work.