Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wait, are the names of the Operators the months that they were built? Does that match the timeline?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The game starts in March, so yes, probably

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

LemonDrizzle posted:

how can you possibly be bad enough to take falling damage when all you have to do to avoid it is activate your jetpack a few moments before impact?

By forgetting you even had a jetpack indoors, I know I did until I found the two upgrades for it, extra long glide and a massive jump-boost/double-jump really opened up the indoor mobility and usefulness on it.

Does anyone know if anything special happens if you go back to the simulation labs and re-complete the tests? I went back after I got the blast-wave for some side-quest or another, and did the first test using it, and the light turned green instead of red, but didn't have mimic or... the phase jump? I think is the third, at the time. I'm assuming not, cause common sense, but you never know.

Also, on my second playthrough, just noticed the code for the safe by the extraction chair in sim labs is visible, and actually legible, on the blackboard in the first LG message to yourself, useful if your not investing in hacking, though I don't think it get's recorded anywhere, so you have to remember it yourself.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 18, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Wasn't the experiment just like 3 weeks? I can't remember where I read it, but that's the number I have in my head.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jawnycat posted:

Does anyone know if anything special happens if you go back to the simulation labs and re-complete the tests? I went back after I got the blast-wave for some side-quest or another, and did the first test using it, and the light turned green instead of red, but didn't have mimic or... the phase jump? I think is the third, at the time. I'm assuming not, cause common sense, but you never know.

Yes. One power per test.
If I remember right:

Shockwave the objects.
Mimic the chair
Telekinesis the button

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Jawnycat posted:

Does anyone know if anything special happens if you go back to the simulation labs and re-complete the tests?

Yes. There's an achievement and you get some neuromods.

Mymla posted:

Wasn't the experiment just like 3 weeks? I can't remember where I read it, but that's the number I have in my head.

I think Morgan's longest stint in the simulation was that long, but he'd been building the operators before that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo Cystoids and Cystoid Nests make me want to loving die. I'm stuck in GUTS with low health, no medkits, out of ammo for all but the GLOO gun, and I need to make it past several packs of them to get to the nearest fabricator. :shepicide: This game is way harder than I anticipated.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

GLOO is probably the easiest way to get rid of cystoid nests, short of psychoshock

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo Cystoids and Cystoid Nests make me want to loving die. I'm stuck in GUTS with low health, no medkits, out of ammo for all but the GLOO gun, and I need to make it past several packs of them to get to the nearest fabricator. :shepicide: This game is way harder than I anticipated.

Lucky for you, the gloo gun is one of the better ways of dealing with them. Shoot a glob at the nest before it spawns all the cystoids and a lot of the time it will be destroyed and all the cystoids will self-destruct instantly. If you're having trouble with packs of cystoids floating in zero gravity, either fire a nerf dart at them or throw a piece of debris. They respond to movement and will kill themselves attacking whatever you toss their way, using pistol or shotgun ammo on them is a waste.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Basic Chunnel posted:

GLOO is probably the easiest way to get rid of cystoid nests, short of psychoshock

I think the easiest way is either the nerf gun darts or just throwing poo poo near them.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Just picked this up, and to be honest the main thing that is loving horrifying about this entire game is that Neuromods have a five-minute application time according to one of the notes.

That's right, you're standing there, with a bunch of needles in your eye and brain, for five minutes each time. :gonk:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think I spent like 16 hours jamming needles into my eye.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Nerf gun is also an effective option.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

limited posted:

Just picked this up, and to be honest the main thing that is loving horrifying about this entire game is that Neuromods have a five-minute application time according to one of the notes.

That's right, you're standing there, with a bunch of needles in your eye and brain, for five minutes each time. :gonk:

Sucks if the skill you want to learn takes 9 neuromods. Better clear your schedule.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Palpek posted:

That modder guy keeps going through the files and now he activated the extra traumas cut from the game.

This poo poo is getting pretty cool for another playthrough.

Fallout 4 improved dramatically with survival mode, and I'm jazzed as gently caress to see how something like that makes Prey better.

limited posted:

I don't think it's an accident that neuromods are sort of an icepick lobotomy.

wikipedia posted:

"We went through the top of the head, I think she was awake. She had a mild tranquilizer. I made a surgical incision in the brain through the skull. It was near the front. It was on both sides. We just made a small incision, no more than an inch." The instrument Dr. Watts used looked like a butter knife. He swung it up and down to cut brain tissue. "We put an instrument inside", he said. As Dr. Watts cut, Dr. Freeman put questions to Rosemary. For example, he asked her to recite the Lord's Prayer or sing "God Bless America" or count backwards..... "We made an estimate on how far to cut based on how she responded." ..... When she began to become incoherent, they stopped.[17]

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 18, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pollyanna posted:

Just throw stuff at them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Nerf Crossbow.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Beat the game without getting typhon mods. Other than a shout-out at the end didn't seem to affect much.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How many nightmares has everyone gotten? I got 6 in last quarter of the game when they started to appear.

Edit: forgot to say that I had no Typhon mods and I initially thought that Nightmares would only start to appear if I used them.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 19, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
On my first playthrough (no typhon mods) I got 4.

On my second playthrough (went heavy into typhon mods) I got a whopping 9, but that was mostly because (quest spoilers) I didn't bother getting rid of them because really they're just another enemy type more than anything once you're kitted out enough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SinineSiil posted:

How many nightmares has everyone gotten? I got 6 in last quarter of the game when they started to appear.

Edit: forgot to say that I had no Typhon mods and I initially thought that Nightmares would only start to appear if I used them.

Didn't use any Typhoon mods and got about the same amount of Nightmares.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The super-jump and super-sprint was the first Neuromod tree I maxed out and I'm glad I did because it means in a combat scenario you can pretend it's Doom.

Also saves you Gloo gun ammo and time spent stacking boxes to reach high places. Just Metroid your way around.

After going through GUTS I also have Leverage3 and the LeverageAid chip. If a NG+ mode becomes available I'm gonna stick some points in the wrench and just try hulkmoding through the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bewilderment posted:

The super-jump and super-sprint was the first Neuromod tree I maxed out and I'm glad I did because it means in a combat scenario you can pretend it's Doom.

This plus the jump-jet suit upgrade that lets you actually boost up are totally game-changers

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This plus the jump-jet suit upgrade that lets you actually boost up are totally game-changers

Is this a random drop? If not, where is it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is this a random drop? If not, where is it?

Way the hell out in space. We're talking even beyond those cylindrical rings, right on the very edge of the "don't go any farther or you'll start taking damage" barrier. You're looking for an employee named Grant Lockwood, eventually you'll likely stumble upon a sidequest to find him if you play long enough but you can also tag him from a security station iirc.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 19, 2017

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
You have to enable his security tag in deep storage before you can enable it on a security station so you can't get it right away.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
I had the ending break down and get a little strange due to some of my actions, and I was sort of proud that I guess my solution to everything wasn't taken into account/couldn't be?

Alex gets knocked out when uber Typhen can't remember it's name shows up, is floating in zero-g unconscious, I seal him into his bolt cave, get a checked off objective for making sure he doesn't die and leave to get going on setting up the Alien Bug Zapper.

January had been surprised and sort of agreeing to all my actions, but when I get to the bridge January is arguing with Alex about what to do (none of their disagreement had happened before, they hadn't even talked, pretty sure?) and tasers Alex and starts spewing about how if I want to release the Typhen wiping out thing I'd have to ki- I gladly wrench him and eradicate the Gigantic end game horrors gripping Talos.

I checked Alex's inventory after killing January and all he had on him was a bio-waste bag (heh,..) which made sense because I cleared out his inventory after leaving him safe and floating unconscious in his bolt hole. And sometimes you crap your pants when your unconscious in zero-g.

So I got a teleporting reviving Alex having an instant out of nowhere confrontation with January, and also The guy I saved in the test chamber just ran into the armory next to him and stood there for the rest of the game with his back to the window (kinda great considering all hell was breaking loose through there a lot. ) among a few other what I expected were weird/not quite right interactions.

Looking forward to when I eventually play through the game a couple more times and see if I can make the story run more smoothly with my choices, or try to break it as much as possible and try to show up in places when you shouldn't.

Sorry I couldn't remember all the right names for stuff, my mind goes completely blank when I try to recall that stuff while staring at a white screen apparently.

Naganted fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 19, 2017

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Has anyone found blueprints for the nullwave grenade? I haven't been able to fabricate them at all.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Finished the game, really enjoyed it but I super blitzed through the last quarter of the game. Don't alt-f4 during the credits, instead hit esc or you'll be really disappointed with the abruptness of the ending. I guessed the twist but the payoff for your decisions is pretty good, all in all I'd say it's probably the best Deus Exalike I've played for a long time. Bioshock's visuals and world concept was more interesting and System Shock's enemies are a lot more memorable, but Prey's area design is superb in how it lets you really play how you think is best and I had a blast reading all the emails and listening to every audio log. Really appreciated the huge amounts of side missions and the characterisation of so many of the crew on the ship, lots of strong writing and a really nice sense of growing power throughout - you turn from a ammoless nobody cowering from every mimic into an unstoppable beast by the end of the game, if you spec right.

Didn't use any Typhon abilities, instead relied entirely on Combat Focus + Shotgun + Mobility and it was awesome. Played it like DOOM and had a really good time. Score another "Woah wait this game is actually good?" from Bethesda!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Songbearer posted:

Score another "Woah wait this game is actually good?" from Bethesda!

:smithicide:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bethesda is clearly unable to make good games themselves but between Prey, Wolfenstein, New Vegas and DOOM they sure can pick the guys that are.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Welcome to Obsidian fans since the launch of New Vegas.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Truecon420 posted:

I think the easiest way is either the nerf gun darts or just throwing poo poo near them.

Well I think the easiest way is throwing that stupid typhon lure grenade. They roll into it and die Don't even need to aim.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
More meant to imply the lovely marketing job they seem to be doing with the great games other people are putting out. Prey wasn't even on my radar (Other than its name) until word of mouth sold me on it. Between this and DOOM I honestly think they should take a good look at their marketing tactics because boy I almost missed out on two of the best shooters for a long time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Songbearer posted:

More meant to imply the lovely marketing job they seem to be doing with the great games other people are putting out. Prey wasn't even on my radar (Other than its name) until word of mouth sold me on it. Between this and DOOM I honestly think they should take a good look at their marketing tactics because boy I almost missed out on two of the best shooters for a long time.

Doom was especially god drat egregious because they DID put out marketing video,s but it was garbage intentionally slowed down videos showing a bunch of ~cinematic kills~ and really loving slow gameplay.

They honestly got really lucky that Nvidia did their god drat job for them and put out an nvidia showcase video that showed "hey this game is fast as gently caress and very fair to older games with it's fast movement". People were still skeptical even seeing the nvidia one because they had saw months of garbage slow-rear end videos up until a week of it's release. Fortunately word of mouth probably saved them

They should just fire their entire marketing team. It's not only ineffective, it's intentionally damaging to their sales and full of loving idiots.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The thing is that Bethesda's anti-reviewer and anti-consumer marketing policies are fine for their Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, which sell themselves, and to a much wider audience that doesn't care about the same gameplay elements that most "core" gamers look for. I remember reading a rather convincing post that the Nvidia gameplay style, which works well for people who are buying video cards and know their PC shooters, would actually be a turnoff to a broader audience who couldn't handle the pace. Doom probably got a boost in sales even with that kneecapping just because Doom is a brand with a huge built-in loyal following that keeps their ear to the ground anyway. Prey, on the other hand...

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
new patch up on beta:

​Further fixes to prevent save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted save games to uncorrupted state.
Items should no longer be incorrectly deleted from inventory or world when changing levels.
Fix for stamina not recovering.
Fix for being unable to repair items.
Player should no longer spawn out of level.
Fabricated weapons are now empty.
Fix for humans incorrectly turning hostile. Hostile humans in lobby will be returned to friendly.
End game credits now always skippable.
Aaron Ingram no longer cowers if spooked by a typhon.
Fix for various problems making changes in the settings.
FOV slider is available in the advanced options menu.

HapXL
Mar 16, 2005
Let's say I wanted to do a run with as few neuromods as possible, what skills would be must haves? You have to use that first one in the tutorial area but after that is there any part where you MIST have a skill? I can't think of any so far.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I think there's one or two unimportant areas like med facilities that are only available via coffee cup, but you can beat the game not using any neuromods. There's even a cheev for it.

Random edit: Prey really reminded me how much I loved the "hide until caught then gently caress poo poo up" approach to games, which got me to play Metro 2033 and Last Light again for the first time in a few years. I'd forgotten how good they were.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

HapXL posted:

Let's say I wanted to do a run with as few neuromods as possible, what skills would be must haves? You have to use that first one in the tutorial area but after that is there any part where you MIST have a skill? I can't think of any so far.

What? No you don't. You're not forced into using any mods.