Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KPC_Mammon posted:

As someone who played Civilization all the time when I was seven or eight, I'll have to strongly disagree. Africa had Elephants on their tiles, which is why I nearly always picked them.

When I got older I gravitated to other start positions.

I have to agree that the Africa unit chits were fuckin boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

How is Yokohama with two players?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Medium Style posted:

My wife and I enjoy it enough that we have played it numerous times over the last few weeks. There are always options so you can't totally gently caress someone ever but you can delay their plans temporarily.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Medium Style posted:

I played it once and I liked it, though I'm definitely going to play it differently next time.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

SW COIN needs rules for brilliant stroke character cards like LoD.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

djfooboo posted:

SW COIN needs rules for brilliant stroke character cards like LoD.

I'm torn. On the one hand, it could be cool to have a piece for Darth Vader. But on the other hand I really like the elegance and simplicity of the rules in CL and ADP and like how all the big players and leaders come up as cards, often with lasting effects, and I'm a bit turned off by all the extra stuff added by LoD and Falling Sky, which is why I haven't really checked them out in much detail. Having a page of battle rules where CL has a sentence? No thanks.

I guess what I'm saying is that in my opinion, whether to have a Vader token to move around or whether to have a Vader card like Cuba Libre has a Che Guevara card depends on how well and how simply the rules for a Vader token and abilities are implemented.

Edit: And before I look like a big fat hypocrite, I'm equally skeptical of my own idea that adds hidden information to the game. If you want to write up rules for leaders, go for it - we can smash it all together and see what works and what doesn't.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 18, 2017

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've gotta say that requiring both control and support will be pretty much impossible for the empire, as it is for pretty much any COIN faction. That's too many plates to spin, and kinda pointless if you need control to adjust levels of support.

Did the empire care about who liked them? I feel like control would be enough. Just tossing that out there.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I guess I just really like the stealing of initiative with the leaders really. Worked in the normal deck is cool too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

I've gotta say that requiring both control and support will be pretty much impossible for the empire, as it is for pretty much any COIN faction. That's too many plates to spin, and kinda pointless if you need control to adjust levels of support.

Did the empire care about who liked them? I feel like control would be enough. Just tossing that out there.

Agree with this. Palpatine's whole shtick was ruling by fear. The Death Star wasn't just a super laser, it was something they could hover above planets to keep them in line.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lord Frisk posted:

quote:

Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever.
General Tagge: But that's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Lord Frisk posted:

Good point about requiring support and control being too hard. I haven't nailed down any victory conditions yet, but we'll need to keep that in mind.

I sort of agree about the thematics of the Empire wanting control and not support... but then if the Empire faction doesn't care about Support, who the hell does? Is there any COIN game where none of the factions care about Support for their victory conditions? From a game balance standpoint, it seems a bit unworkable if the Rebels want Opposition and nobody has any reason to pull in the opposite direction except to slow their victory.

Anyway, we can resolve that conflict easily enough. The victory conditions represent the necessary conditions for that faction to go on to win the war. So the Empire needing support could be interpreted two ways: that they use fear to gain support and that support represents that fear (we could even change the names of Support/Opposition to Fear/Hope to reinforce that); or that they may think that control is enough, but in fact they need support to succeed in the long run. Or both.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Have you seen how Falling Sky handles support? Each space has some tribes, and tribes with no marker are assumed to be subdued (which Rome wants). If a tribe has taken up arms for one side (Rome, a Gallic faction, or the Germans) it gets a disk of the faction's color. These tribes can be destroyed in combat, returning to subdued. Something like that might make more sense for the Empire -- you could attack systems to subdue them and return them to Imperial control, or destroy systems with the Death Star (something like this is possible in Falling Sky, too).

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Gonna play some Terraforming Mars (3 Players) on Friday.

Anything I should be aware of?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Have you seen how Falling Sky handles support? Each space has some tribes, and tribes with no marker are assumed to be subdued (which Rome wants). If a tribe has taken up arms for one side (Rome, a Gallic faction, or the Germans) it gets a disk of the faction's color. These tribes can be destroyed in combat, returning to subdued. Something like that might make more sense for the Empire -- you could attack systems to subdue them and return them to Imperial control, or destroy systems with the Death Star (something like this is possible in Falling Sky, too).

Death Star would be a perfect Leader Token equivalent.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The game of High Treason has completed so if you want to see a full account of what the game plays like check it!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

There are as many Star Wars games in this world as there are Star Wars planets with a single biome. Can you guys play those instead of sullying the beautiful COIN system?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CaptainRightful posted:

There are as many Star Wars games in this world as there are Star Wars planets with a single biome. Can you guys play those instead of sullying the beautiful COIN system?
There are as many SomethingAwful subforums in this world as there are people to complain in them. Can you go post in one of those instead of sullying the beautiful Board Games Thread?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Good point about requiring support and control being too hard. I haven't nailed down any victory conditions yet, but we'll need to keep that in mind.

I sort of agree about the thematics of the Empire wanting control and not support... but then if the Empire faction doesn't care about Support, who the hell does? Is there any COIN game where none of the factions care about Support for their victory conditions? From a game balance standpoint, it seems a bit unworkable if the Rebels want Opposition and nobody has any reason to pull in the opposite direction except to slow their victory.

Anyway, we can resolve that conflict easily enough. The victory conditions represent the necessary conditions for that faction to go on to win the war. So the Empire needing support could be interpreted two ways: that they use fear to gain support and that support represents that fear (we could even change the names of Support/Opposition to Fear/Hope to reinforce that); or that they may think that control is enough, but in fact they need support to succeed in the long run. Or both.

This is why I think the Hutts should be replaced by Saw's faction of fanatics from Rogue One. He wants opposition while the Rebels in general want support from the systems. There's an entire scene in Rogue One where the various leaders refuse support for the Death Star plans because they don't trust the leadership there.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

There are as many SomethingAwful subforums in this world as there are people to complain in them. Can you go post in one of those instead of sullying the beautiful Board Games Thread?

Hey, nobody would ever follow their dream if someone else wasn't around to poo poo on it! And if you want to get technical about it, I'm not the one in the wrong thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518654

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Selecta84 posted:

Gonna play some Terraforming Mars (3 Players) on Friday.

Anything I should be aware of?

Rules that I've seen people have trouble with:
Forests/Greenery tiles must be placed next to another of your tiles. Other tiles do not have the adjacency restriction. Ocean hexes are off-limits to anything but an Ocean tile. Cards can break these rules.
Placing a City tile does not come with a 1 MC bonus, only the Standard Project that costs 25 MC will get you this.
Once you max out a terraforming track (oxygen or temperature) raising it further will not give you any TR.
If a card requires you to lose 1 resource production and you have 0, you can't play it. The same is not true for losing actual resources, like with asteroids removing X plants from a player. Those can still be played if no one has plants.
Red cards (events) will never count their tags toward anything after being played, you just flip them over and maybe score VP on the card at endgame.

Strategy-wise, there are 2 major things to keep in mind.

1) Limit how many cards you buy every turn. The more money you spend on holding onto cards, the less you have to actually get projects done and advance your position within the game. Grabbing cards that combo well for the future is ok, but only if you have a plan for them to be played.

2) If you don't get at least 1 milestone, you will lose 95% of the time. 5 VP is too much to not get and it's a good measure of whether or not your current strategy is working out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

Star Wars deserves more good games rather than yet another monopoly. It would work well as a twilight struggle game too. Or even Caverna/Agricola where you're a moisture farmer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I tried playing Neuroshima Hex yesterday but unfortunately it doesn't go well at all :( The person I was playing against has ADHD and dyslexia and they were having trouble even comprehending all of the potential actions that could be taking and what all of it meant and while I was trying to teach her how to play, she just wasn't able to wrap her head around it at the time so we decided to scrap it a few turns in and pack it up for the night.

She said she's willing to try again later but idk if it's worth it since it isn't like she's going to stop having ADHD and dyslexia the next time I try to teach her and she's expected to cross-reference stuff between her tiles and her faction board. I don't wanna force her to play if she's not going to have fun and neither of us is going to have a good time if it's just her struggling to comprehend the game the whole time.

Any of you ever have any similar experiences? I just like sharing gaming experiences with people and when it comes to gaming, nothing is worse than when someone else is clearly just not having any kind of fun with the game you want them to play with you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FirstAidKite posted:

I tried playing Neuroshima Hex yesterday but unfortunately it doesn't go well at all :( The person I was playing against has ADHD and dyslexia and they were having trouble even comprehending all of the potential actions that could be taking and what all of it meant and while I was trying to teach her how to play, she just wasn't able to wrap her head around it at the time so we decided to scrap it a few turns in and pack it up for the night.

She said she's willing to try again later but idk if it's worth it since it isn't like she's going to stop having ADHD and dyslexia the next time I try to teach her and she's expected to cross-reference stuff between her tiles and her faction board. I don't wanna force her to play if she's not going to have fun and neither of us is going to have a good time if it's just her struggling to comprehend the game the whole time.

Any of you ever have any similar experiences? I just like sharing gaming experiences with people and when it comes to gaming, nothing is worse than when someone else is clearly just not having any kind of fun with the game you want them to play with you.
Falling is by far my most difficult sell ever in terms of gaming. People either get it immediately or just don't understand what to do, especially since it has real-time elements and people just aren't able to grasp that it's everyone's turn, always, at the same time.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tekopo posted:

Falling is by far my most difficult sell ever in terms of gaming. People either get it immediately or just don't understand what to do, especially since it has real-time elements and people just aren't able to grasp that it's everyone's turn, always, at the same time.

And then when they do get it they're like "this game is too stressful" and I'm like "I'm not even dealing at half the speed I usually go at"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Same re Falling. No one wants to take their turn as dealer, and while they're willing to play another hand, they won't want to play again

And Sticheln. "Winner of hand is the highest card that isn't the leading color" just completely loving breaks the brains of like 25-35% of people for some reason.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sticheln rules.

The Bohnanza 'DON'T SHUFFLE YOUR loving HAND" was annoying the first couple of rounds with my OCD family.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Same but with Skulls

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

SilverMike posted:

Rules that I've seen people have trouble with:
Forests/Greenery tiles must be placed next to another of your tiles. Other tiles do not have the adjacency restriction. Ocean hexes are off-limits to anything but an Ocean tile. Cards can break these rules.
Placing a City tile does not come with a 1 MC bonus, only the Standard Project that costs 25 MC will get you this.
Once you max out a terraforming track (oxygen or temperature) raising it further will not give you any TR.
If a card requires you to lose 1 resource production and you have 0, you can't play it. The same is not true for losing actual resources, like with asteroids removing X plants from a player. Those can still be played if no one has plants.
Red cards (events) will never count their tags toward anything after being played, you just flip them over and maybe score VP on the card at endgame.

Strategy-wise, there are 2 major things to keep in mind.

1) Limit how many cards you buy every turn. The more money you spend on holding onto cards, the less you have to actually get projects done and advance your position within the game. Grabbing cards that combo well for the future is ok, but only if you have a plan for them to be played.

2) If you don't get at least 1 milestone, you will lose 95% of the time. 5 VP is too much to not get and it's a good measure of whether or not your current strategy is working out.

Thanks

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

My coworkers loved Falling but had real difficulty not picking up their entire stack(s) in hand, not differentiating the dealt stacks and the riders, and not slamming multiples on the same person. Basically, they embraced the frantic gameplay so much that they ignored all the rules. It reminded me a little of playing Dutch Blitz with my family. Although we didn't technically cheat, it was always a frenzied blur of slapping down cards, batting away each other's hands, creating new stacks as inconveniently placed for others as possible, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What you're describing for the Empire is victory through control without active opposition. Essentially the Empire score would be a function of total support, in which neutrality or passive opposition + Empire control scores the same as passive support.

The solution to the Cease and Desist is to design the game and then rename all of the factions and call it SPACE COINS. Or do a print and play thing in which players print off the map and use their Cuba Libre pieces. The cards can be run on some kind of simple desktop app.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Got this in the mail from Grey Fox Games - they're going to be doing an expansion for Deception: Murder in Hong Kong on KS in a few weeks -

quote:

In Deception: Undercover Allies, new roles give special powers to both teams. More means and clue cards increase the possible solutions to the crime. Fresh scene tiles bring more life to the forensic scientist’s descriptions. And a new event challenges the already tenuous trust which exists among the investigators.

I'm a pretty big fan of the game so I might be on board depending on the price and how it looks.

Admiral_Cola
Jan 11, 2012
Kickstarted Gloomhaven 2nd upgrades and noticed that one of the pledge manager page is Forge War. How is that game?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Having played two solo games I quite like it.

The game runs really smooth and the 3 phases per turn work really well together. Lot's of planning ahead is needed (in the solo game at least) if that is your cup of tea.

Gonna play a 3 player normal game tomorrow and I can't wait.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This is interesting. The idea there is that in Roman times each area would have a large number of men under arms already, and all you need to do is convince them who to fight for, unlike the 20th century insurgencies where you would have to train and arm soldiers. I think for Star Wars, the latter makes more sense - you need to provide soldiers with blasters and x-wings and poo poo, and train them how to use codes and stay undetected by the empire. I mean, Star Wars is literally supposed to be Nam in space.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Admiral_Cola posted:

Kickstarted Gloomhaven 2nd upgrades and noticed that one of the pledge manager page is Forge War. How is that game?

We've tried it a couple times; we found it fine, but not compelling.

It's a medium interaction Euro that heavily rewards logistical planning, with the plan involving quests, resources, and adventurers. All of those can be influenced by other players, but in particular you will interact with others in the mine, where you can both hurt and hinder others in a clever but unintuitive spacial puzzle. There's a lot going on overall, too much to really predict what other people are aiming for. This would make planning hard, except quite often "collisions" are bad for both players, so you're usually pretty open with your plans, as it benefits you both to not fight over something. That's good for your in game performance, but that trait also extends the distance you can "see" a bit, letting you plan fairly far out if you want to. And you want to.

..and that's our main complaint overall: it rewards AP too hard; it's kind of like Trajan in that way. In both games, it's important to maximize your own little personal puzzle, and thinking more turns ahead will greatly improve your performance. I like that idea in theory, but in practice it ends with too long of turns for my taste.

If you aren't turned off by that - of if you think your group wouldn't be prone to slowing down like that - I do think this is a well designed game with a well done theme and solid mechanics. Rules burden is medium, and we didn't run into any "gotchas" really. The solo game works and is worth a few plays, but I don't think it'd be a good buy as a straight solo game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

This is interesting. The idea there is that in Roman times each area would have a large number of men under arms already, and all you need to do is convince them who to fight for, unlike the 20th century insurgencies where you would have to train and arm soldiers. I think for Star Wars, the latter makes more sense - you need to provide soldiers with blasters and x-wings and poo poo, and train them how to use codes and stay undetected by the empire. I mean, Star Wars is literally supposed to be Nam in space.

From the movies we can infer that personal weapons are common (Han Solo walks around Cloud City armed), armed personal transport (even if it's a hunk of junk) is not exceptional, and that weapons training is not a problem outside of exotic weapons like lightsabers. Piloting skill, on the other hand, is emphasized in both the OT ("who's gonna fly it? You?") and PT (podracing).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I did a thing fellow gamer goons.

I've always wanted a geek chic style table and was looking real hard at the $800 dollar kickstarter game table recently. I've dabbled in woodworking but wasn't confident to make an table I want my friends around. Well I just did the thing. Buying proper matting was the most expensive bit, got 3mm neoprene in burgundy. Made a much cheaper green felt insert if the color clashes with a game for some reason. The lip is 22" tall made for you to sit on a couch and look down into it. (I have a large L couch and most games end up being on that around a dumb too low too small coffee table.) All told it was about $180 for supplies with the lions share being the neoprene matting. It aint perfect, but its good enough where I think the imperfections will bother me more then anyone else.

note, that's 3'x5' playing surface, dark souls has a HUGE footprint.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

I did a thing fellow gamer goons.

I've always wanted a geek chic style table and was looking real hard at the $800 dollar kickstarter game table recently. I've dabbled in woodworking but wasn't confident to make an table I want my friends around. Well I just did the thing. Buying proper matting was the most expensive bit, got 3mm neoprene in burgundy. Made a much cheaper green felt insert if the color clashes with a game for some reason. The lip is 22" tall made for you to sit oYoun a couch and look down into it. (I have a large L couch and most games end up being on that around a dumb too low too small coffee table.) All told it was about $180 for supplies with the lions share being the neoprene matting. It aint perfect, but its good enough where I think the imperfections will bother me more then anyone else.

note, that's 3'x5' playing surface, dark souls has a HUGE footprint.

You forgot to add pockets to your pool table lol

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

jmzero posted:

We've tried it a couple times; we found it fine, but not compelling.

It's a medium interaction Euro that heavily rewards logistical planning, with the plan involving quests, resources, and adventurers. All of those can be influenced by other players, but in particular you will interact with others in the mine, where you can both hurt and hinder others in a clever but unintuitive spacial puzzle. There's a lot going on overall, too much to really predict what other people are aiming for. This would make planning hard, except quite often "collisions" are bad for both players, so you're usually pretty open with your plans, as it benefits you both to not fight over something. That's good for your in game performance, but that trait also extends the distance you can "see" a bit, letting you plan fairly far out if you want to. And you want to.

..and that's our main complaint overall: it rewards AP too hard; it's kind of like Trajan in that way. In both games, it's important to maximize your own little personal puzzle, and thinking more turns ahead will greatly improve your performance. I like that idea in theory, but in practice it ends with too long of turns for my taste.

If you aren't turned off by that - of if you think your group wouldn't be prone to slowing down like that - I do think this is a well designed game with a well done theme and solid mechanics. Rules burden is medium, and we didn't run into any "gotchas" really. The solo game works and is worth a few plays, but I don't think it'd be a good buy as a straight solo game.

I think a good thing to add to Forge War is either a gentleman's agreement not to spend too much time per turn thinking or just use a game clock. In my experience the game is more enjoyable when you're not trying to juggle everything to keep 3-4 quests rolling perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I got my Gloomhaven confirmation email this morning!
Feels good man.

$10 shipping that gigantic box all the way down here to convict land still has me smh in a 'can't quite believe this' way.