Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's an extra layer of RNG though and I wouldn't be surprised if, like me, the game just keeps giving you the same recruits over and over again. I fired you for a reason Hastaloeya!

Yep. I've more or less given up hope of ever seeing a couple of the Gold Saucer only recruits because I keep getting the same two or three over and over out of the huge GS list you are rolling against. And trying to stock up by just never checking the recruitment list until you have a dozen waiting doesn't help either; I've had the same boring nobody recruit show up twice in the one batch.

All I want is my giraffe in a reindeer suit, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thundarr posted:

I've had the same boring nobody recruit show up twice in the one batch.

I've had this happen, too. Hroch, someone else, Hroch again out of 3 recruits.

Corn Dog Fountain posted:

Since I brought up giraffes it's only fair I show you The Smuggest

This is :perfect:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Did the loot rules for dun scaith change? Can I just keep running it over and over again to gear up?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Thumbtacks posted:

Did the loot rules for dun scaith change? Can I just keep running it over and over again to gear up?

Yes and yes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That's a fine elf.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Office Surprise Store posted:

squeenix is expecting stormblood to fail because they didn't rent a castle in san francisco for this leg of the media tour

idiocy aside the inside of the building is up on the jp blog and it looks pretty nice

California, well known for its castles.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone find me that old screenshot with the wind-up shantotto behind the bench.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

She would make a fine villain in any FF game.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Verranicus posted:

Someone find me that old screenshot with the wind-up shantotto behind the bench.

It was a screenshot of my char but someone took it while I was afk. Check my thread post history since I'm pretty sure I quoted it when it was taken. It would have been during/right after the Shantotto event whenever that was.

Edit: it's in a previous thread I guess. If it's on my pc I'll post when I get home.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 18, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Obligatum VII posted:

I mean, they could have tried to do it at Winchester house, at least. Or a mission or something?

Also you've never lived until you combined lalafell taunt with every other emote. My favorite is /sit, /chuckle, /taunt and zoom in on the face.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=436888717

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Obligatum VII posted:

I mean, sure. Anyone got Chris Hardwick on speed dial? He seems like he'd be the most sufficiently geeky member of the Hearst family...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Thank you.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The only bad thing about the plus crossbars on PS4 is that they're mapped to the 8th bar and for some reason, that bar is retained between classes. So like I have room on the 8th bar for NIN (L2+R2) and PLD (R2+L2) but if I want to play a 3rd class, I have to spend however long editing. It's a minor gripe I know, but I don't understand why it's that way when the 1st hotbar just changes for each class. It feels unnecessarily bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

The only bad thing about the plus crossbars on PS4 is that they're mapped to the 8th bar and for some reason, that bar is retained between classes. So like I have room on the 8th bar for NIN (L2+R2) and PLD (R2+L2) but if I want to play a 3rd class, I have to spend however long editing. It's a minor gripe I know, but I don't understand why it's that way when the 1st hotbar just changes for each class. It feels unnecessarily bad.

You can change where they get sent, and also which hotbars are shared

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dwesa posted:

I started as elezen, but their heads just seem too small

As someone who started off as an anime elf princess, this is my only real issue with Elezen. I don't think their limbs are too thick, but their heads definitely come off way too small for their proportions. Which...

...limits good looking Elezen glamour a lot. This one is great, because it disguises how small the head looks by padding out the shoulders and neck with clothing, so it doesn't come off looking so strangely.

The other issue I have is entirely superficial, and thats the standard female elezen duty complete emote being trash.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What's the fastest way to level a class to 60 before Stormblood? I guess I do have about a month, but I only have time for one class probably so I think I'm gonna try and get Bard to 60.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thumbtacks posted:

What's the fastest way to level a class to 60 before Stormblood? I guess I do have about a month, but I only have time for one class probably so I think I'm gonna try and get Bard to 60.

POTD until you want to die, and then more POTD. I think 51-60 is the goto grinding zone.

Daily roulettes are good. Highest level dungeon spam is probably faster if you don't need to worry about queues.

e: the advice below is better if it's your first class.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 19, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thumbtacks posted:

Weekly challenge log. Daily roulettes. POTD. Occasional fates while queuing. Beast tribes once you hit the 40s. Hit every sidequest that is level appropriate if you don't really care about small story bs you can get a decent chunk with that. Do all your guildhests when you first come across them. If you do them at the appropriate level they give awesome bonuses.

There are a lot of things you can do that will all level you pretty quickly. Just doing daily roulettes and challenge logs will keep you ahead and other overworld stuff will keep you ahead of the main story quest. You can do some POTD if you wanna get ahead but there's no need to grind. Just do things all the things and you'll level fast on your first character.

You shouldn't need to spam anything to powerlevel to 60 on your first character. All of your first time bonuses, level appropriate side quests, and just a smattering of overworld activity and frequent roulettes and you'll stay ahead of the MSQ. That's the real hurdle, not the leveling aspect. Focus on the MSQ not your level. As long as you're a level or two ahead just keep going don't even bother grinding a bunch because you're still going to have to chug through the MSQ.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 19, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I should clarify I have most classes at 60 already, this is not my first time, sorry

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
PotD + LDR will do it. At 59, GGL with full rested is pretty quick, too.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

I should clarify I have most classes at 60 already, this is not my first time, sorry

You should pull pretty much a level a day doing roulettes, tribes, and Heavensward Hunts. This is excluding Leveling roulette after 50 too, if you want to use it for another job once you get access to MSQ, Trials, and 50 Dungeons. That's how I rolled everything to 60, Leveling on stuff under 50 until there was nothing left to get to that point, while using everything else for 50+. The higher end HW hunts are really tricky but entirely doable at 50 with a chocobo. You can also get someone to help you if needed.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 19, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

PotD is the fastest method of getting up in levels, but it's both soul crushing and a bad way to learn your class. Think the numbers were that it would take around 80 runs of 51-60 to get from 30 to 60 if you did literally nothing else.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Brainamp posted:

PotD is the fastest method of getting up in levels, but it's both soul crushing and a bad way to learn your class. Think the numbers were that it would take around 80 runs of 51-60 to get from 30 to 60 if you did literally nothing else.

Decent money if short on cash though, V Materia sells for a bit. I'm at 1.2m on a new character. 1-30 in 2 classes.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 19, 2017

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Need advice..

I recently decided to come back for the release of Stormblood. I first quit during ARR at around the point of crystal tower. I came back during release of Heavensward, got through MSQ up to the part where you first unlock flying. Leveled DRK to 52. Quit again.

I decided after all this, especially with the release of SB I want to come back for good. However I am pretty behind. I have BLM51 SMN50/SCH50, DRK52 for combat classes, and WVR50, CUL50, GSM50, CRP50 for DoH. My crafter gear is all HQ Lv50 AF and a pair of artisan spectacles.. so way behind. I plan to play RDM and SAM in SB. I haven't done much HW content at all yet.. Haven't even done aether currents..

Now here is my dilemma..I don't want to play my 50+ combat classes and my DoH are pretty behind. I need something to do to get me by until SB when I will be starting RDM.

I picked up AST and started leveling it, but I feel it's disingenuous to start a class I'm going to drop in a month.. so I considered focusing on only catching up crafting and working on gathering.. but I only have 350k and feel like a month straight of JUST DoH/L will burn me out. So I'm sort of in need of guidance.

Thoughts? Ugh. Why can't SB just be out now! :P

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is there still a weekly lockout in place for the Proto Ultima accessory part of Dun Scaith or has that vanished too?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Zaekkor posted:

Need advice..

I recently decided to come back for the release of Stormblood. I first quit during ARR at around the point of crystal tower. I came back during release of Heavensward, got through MSQ up to the part where you first unlock flying. Leveled DRK to 52. Quit again.

I decided after all this, especially with the release of SB I want to come back for good. However I am pretty behind. I have BLM51 SMN50/SCH50, DRK52 for combat classes, and WVR50, CUL50, GSM50, CRP50 for DoH. My crafter gear is all HQ Lv50 AF and a pair of artisan spectacles.. so way behind. I plan to play RDM and SAM in SB. I haven't done much HW content at all yet.. Haven't even done aether currents..

Now here is my dilemma..I don't want to play my 50+ combat classes and my DoH are pretty behind. I need something to do to get me by until SB when I will be starting RDM.

I picked up AST and started leveling it, but I feel it's disingenuous to start a class I'm going to drop in a month.. so I considered focusing on only catching up crafting and working on gathering.. but I only have 350k and feel like a month straight of JUST DoH/L will burn me out. So I'm sort of in need of guidance.

I guess you can technically play through HW storyline as RDM and then just jump into Stormblood. Not playing in this case would also be an option, unless unlocking RDM requires you to beat HW as well as having a +50 job. Only thing they've said about unlocking the new jobs is that they are available in ARR area.* Still requires you to buy the expansion obviously.

* actually only requires expansion and having you beat base game content (Praetorium).

Crafting is something you either 100% do all jobs to max level or not. It's a lot easier these days with moogle quests + Zhloe's deliveries giving good exp for minimal trouble but is still something you have to actively work towards. There's also very little payoff as Stormblood will change crafting requirements yet again.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 19, 2017

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Zaekkor posted:

Need advice..

To me it sounds like you're fousing a lot on progress and being up to scratch. Can I ask what made you decide to come back for Stormblood? What makes you not want to play your 50+ jobs, is it because they'll be "obsolete" with SB? Overall, on the face of it, I'd advise you to take it easy and focus on enjoying the ride. Everything will be there when you get there.

If it were me, I'd find a class i thought was fun to play and go through the HW storyline with that. It's really good! Just follow the story around, picking up aether currents along the way. You do experience the landscape in a different way when you're forced to ride on it. And who knows, you might want to come back and play that job again some time. I don't think that's ever wasted if you're having fun with it at the time.

Don't sweat the gil, you don't need it for much unless you go all in on Pretty Princess, and even then there are some options that are very cheap and very good looking at the same time. If you're worried about affording DoH/L leveling, wwll... You didn't mention your DoL classes, but if they're up to scratch you can level DoH with very little out-of-pocket expense, as well. If not, that's not the end of the world! If you don't have combat jobs at max level, you won't gain much from having crafters there. Plenty of gil to be made from crafting lower level stuff, if that's your thing.

E: Forgot about the moogles. Yeah, they'll get you from 50 to 60 in your DoHs and pay you (not huge sums, but still) for the privilege.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
On the plus side, early access is in under 30 days, so that's fun

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zaekkor posted:

Need advice..

Not disingenous. Just get the MSQ done, this AST doesn't care how you do it, just do it. :labeouf:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I misremembered: Yoship has confirmed you only need the expansion and beat ARR to unlock samurai and red mage:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/11/pax-east-2017-naoki-yoshida-on-final-fantasy-xivs-new-jobs-old-jobs-and-future-patches/

that article posted:

First and foremost, Yoshida confirmed that as other sources had hinted, Red Mage will be using caster equipment and INT-boosting accessories for gear. He also confirmed that neither Red Mage nor Samurai will have any story progression requirements whatsoever to unlock; so long as you have a level 50 job and you own the expansion, you’ll be able to unlock the jobs even if you still haven’t finished the 2.0 storyline.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Bobfly posted:

To me it sounds like you're fousing a lot on progress and being up to scratch. Can I ask what made you decide to come back for Stormblood?

RDM and SAM were my top two played jobs in FFXI and the theme of the expansion.

quote:

What makes you not want to play your 50+ jobs, is it because they'll be "obsolete" with SB?

Aside from wanting to make RDM or SAM my main..

BLM- I quit this and went to SMN/SCH because I got tired of having to move in the middle of every spell cast.

SMN- Realized, as with most MMOs..I don't like managing DoTs as a play style.

SCH- To be honest.. this is a not terrible class, but pixie management seemed intimidating and I felt jumping into a healer at a higher level after having returned from a sizeable break would not be a good idea.. hence picking up AST to practice and try something new.

DRK - I was bad at it when I was actively playing it.. can only imagine how bad I'd be now.

quote:

Overall, on the face of it, I'd advise you to take it easy and focus on enjoying the ride. Everything will be there when you get there.

If it were me, I'd find a class i thought was fun to play and go through the HW storyline with that. It's really good! Just follow the story around, picking up aether currents along the way. You do experience the landscape in a different way when you're forced to ride on it. And who knows, you might want to come back and play that job again some time. I don't think that's ever wasted if you're having fun with it at the time.

I may just suck it up and get through HW on BLM or SCH.. not sure yet. Might do some PotD to help decide.

quote:

Don't sweat the gil, you don't need it for much unless you go all in on Pretty Princess, and even then there are some options that are very cheap and very good looking at the same time. If you're worried about affording DoH/L leveling, wwll... You didn't mention your DoL classes, but if they're up to scratch you can level DoH with very little out-of-pocket expense, as well. If not, that's not the end of the world! If you don't have combat jobs at max level, you won't gain much from having crafters there. Plenty of gil to be made from crafting lower level stuff, if that's your thing.

E: Forgot about the moogles. Yeah, they'll get you from 50 to 60 in your DoHs and pay you (not huge sums, but still) for the privilege.

BOT20 MIN0 FSH24

How hard is gear to get once I moogle my way to 60 DoH?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

By having a class at a higher level you get a 50% XP boost on all other classes, so leveling something now will make levelling sam and RDM easier (as well as clearing out heavensward content for you). Going Monk (for sam gear) or Summoner/Black mage (for Red Mage gear) would serious help, means you can enjoy the Heavensward story now, get geared up and everything

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hope you realize RDM and SAM aren't gonna play anything like they did in FF11

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: whoops

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
https://gfycat.com/AdoredHighlevelDwarfmongoose

The Vanu questline was worth it just for this scene.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 19, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is there still a weekly lockout in place for the Proto Ultima accessory part of Dun Scaith or has that vanished too?

It's a weekly quest, not a lockout. So no.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rightyoh

Hadn't played since he was put in there so that's cool to know. Thought he dropped stuff for exchanging over :v:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Gotta clear the entire raid to complete that quest too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I hope you realize RDM and SAM aren't gonna play anything like they did in FF11

I wish we would get some gameplay videos or teasers or something

• Locked thread