Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He'll be singing in the first episode in the holodeck equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Here's that trailer in case you guys haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

I was actually just talking about this with my brother, and I think what keeps me from writing this off is that MacFarlane seems to be doing a genuine comic riff on Trek as opposed to the ironic sendup that A Million Ways To Die In the West was. When you get down to actual storytelling, the dude can hit his marks when he tries. He gets in trouble when he gets too caught up in trying to be too cool for school; in small doses, that gets you stuff like the brilliant Norah Jones scene in Ted. When he ODs on it, the result is, well, A Million Ways to Die and Ted 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case here, but with MacFarlane being a huge Trekkie, I think the material's gonna keep his ironic side in check. On top of that...I mean, he's directed three fairly big-budget, effects-heavy films. Even if the ladt two bombed, Fox wouldn't have said "no" to him directing his own pilot script. The fact that Jon Favreau directed it is a good sign that this isn't going to be another circle-jerk with Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild.

Not saying it won't be, of course, just that it's a sign.

This will probably be like, right in the middle of the Trek series quality scale. Also Cassidy Yates (Penny Johnson Jerald) is in it, and she was in the best Trek, so...

edit: also, I saw that there is a trailer out for Ghosted, that Craig Robinson, Adam Scott paranormal cops thing, and uh... hmm. They are both great and their chemistry is probably gonna be great, but it does not look great. Let's hope it finds its footing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Watching last night's iZombie and I literally just started waving my arms around yelling when Roger Cross showed up.

I did this as well and my fiance just gave me the weirdest look.

I also get excited when Ryan Robbins shows up in anything.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

This season of Fargo is really not very good, and that sucks because I loved the first two.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skasion posted:

The point of divergence in the timelines is earlier than when this show is set, though. Earlier in development it was claimed that this was set in the original timeline and not the new-movie timeline, but it basically looks exactly like the new movies. So in my estimation the answer is that they don't care what "canon" anything is and will play fast and loose.

This is almost right, but not for lack of trying on CBS's part. The official line is that it's a prequel of the TV shows because they only have the IP rights to the original continuity, but it's clearly got Abramsverse fingerprints all over it. CBS cares exactly as much as necessary to avoid a lawsuit from Paramount while hoovering all the sweet 18-35 male demographic numbers they can away from the movies to their geriatric network.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They couldn't even get me to click on the trailer, so...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's exclusive to some CBS streaming service so it's going to tank even if the show is good

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ShakeZula posted:

This season of Fargo is really not very good, and that sucks because I loved the first two.

I'm one... I guess two episodes back now, but yeah, I agree. The "detour" episode was a weird time waster that has soured all my momentum on this year.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's exclusive to some CBS streaming service so it's going to tank even if the show is good

Undoubtedly.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's on Netflix in the whole world other than the US, which I hear is a somewhat successful service

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When do the ratings by foreign countries ever matter for US networks? I wish they did then Hannibal might still be running.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah :(

Are you watching American Gods, at least?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mu Zeta posted:

When do the ratings by foreign countries ever matter for US networks? I wish they did then Hannibal might still be running.

The deal with Netflix in foreign markets bankrolled the whole thing. CBS president was very clear that Netflix made it profitable before actor one was put in front of a camera.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Well streaming is not really conventional TV so I'm assuming it's a different situation. Foreign success does matter though to some degree e.g. blindspot was renewed this season despite terrible ratings in part due to foreign sales

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm one... I guess two episodes back now, but yeah, I agree. The "detour" episode was a weird time waster that has soured all my momentum on this year.

That episode was the only time this season has really been great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Trek is indeed dead.

People still won't stop talking about TNG 25 years after that stupid show went off the air so I'm pretty sure Star Trek will never actually die, it will haunt me forever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Downward Dog is one of the worst things ever made.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix is doing a Dark Crystal TV series WITH Jim Henson's creature shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg

I'm hype as gently caress.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah. Unexpected news. 10 episode prequel series.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Downward Dog is one of the worst things ever made.

I had this misfortune of catching some of it while visiting my parents. It really was loving terrible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh poo poo downward dog finally aired? I need to see just how bad this is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is it about an actual dog that does yoga?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

From the trailer I saw over a year ago when it was announced it appeared to be about a dog that wanted to bang his owner and I refuse to be corrected on this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not far off. A dog narrates it's life, complete with bad 'move the mouth awkwardly in sync' stuff that never looks particularly good when they're trying to do it in a realistic fashion. It's not good at all, nothing about it works. Anyone catch what the Sundance laurel they use on the commercial for it is actually about?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FYI, the Upfronts are all done and trailers and rundowns for like 30-40 new shows are all in the Upfronts thread stuck at the top of the forum.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How long does it take to get into Sense8?

Also, I always feel like I can't keep up with Netflix's original content, including their seemingly endless amount of murder mysteries. Can I get goon reviews on what's worth checking out from the following:

The Crown
Medici
The Fall
Travelers
Easy
iBoy
Borgia
3%
Beasts of No Nation
Marcella
Fauda
Bordertown
Rebirth
Paranoid
Hotel Beau Sejour
River
Estocolmo
The Break
Case
No Second Chance
A Very Secret Service
Southcliffe

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Travelers is pretty good if you enjoy shows such as 12 Monkeys and Continuum. I enjoyed 3%. Both were renewed.

That's all I got.

Sens8 owns though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you aren't feeling Sense8 by like 4-5 eps, it's probably not for you. It does continue to improve, and more of a central plot emerges, but it doesn't really change format or anything.

But Sense8 rules.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
A Very Secret Service is my favourite from that list, similar theme to Patriot, a little drier maybe but still very funny. Travelers is pretty cool sci fi with an interesting premise. The Crown is good and worth watching if you're at all into historical dramas.

iBoy was fine but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're out of other stuff to watch.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Beasts of No Nation is a movie so you can knock it out pretty quick.

Speaking of, if anyone hasn't seen The White Helmets you need to.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

X-O posted:

FYI, the Upfronts are all done and trailers and rundowns for like 30-40 new shows are all in the Upfronts thread stuck at the top of the forum.

Are there any shows that look promising? I clicked through a couple of trailers, but nothing caught my eye.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Eezee posted:

Are there any shows that look promising?

The Gifted, the live action X-Men series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rise from Jason Katims on NBC could be good. Don't know anything about it but it's set in a poor high school and we know Katims can do that well (Friday Night Lights).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not far off. A dog narrates it's life, complete with bad 'move the mouth awkwardly in sync' stuff that never looks particularly good when they're trying to do it in a realistic fashion. It's not good at all, nothing about it works. Anyone catch what the Sundance laurel they use on the commercial for it is actually about?

Oh my god what a weird loving show. They made the dog a creepy jilted spouse that wants to dominate his owner, with definite sexual subtext thrown in which is supposed to be, I don't know, funny? And then the main plot that takes place outside the dog's narration is completely different run of the mill sitcom fare. The tonal shifts in that show gave me whiplash and they seem to have intentionally made their cute little dog in a sitcom an unlikable creepy rear end in a top hat. How did this make it past pilot? How did multiple people see this and think it was a good idea? I get anthropomorphizing a dog with separation anxiety for laughs but the direction they took it is just so bizarre and off-putting I can't tell what the intended reaction was.

I fully recommend watching the pilot to this terrible show because this is a really unique kind of bad.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Travelers is very good and agreed on Sense8, if you aren't liking it after four or five eps. It's probably not for you. The second season has much better pacing than the first though.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 19, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My whole family enjoyed The Crown, I haven't seen any of those others.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
"New York I Love You" is one of the best episodes of television I've watched. Master Of None is phenomenal television.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I really liked the Thanksgiving episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope in season 3 that Dev finds out he has celiacs disease so he stops with the food worship

Snak posted:

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Catching up on the second half of season 4 of The Fosters. Freeform shows are kind of my guilty pleasure. But goddamn the drama in this particular show is off the charts. On an almost bi-episode basis the the Foster family faces one monumental crisis after another, any one of which would tear apart a normal family, and yet this family deals with them on a nearly daily basis. Not even soap opera's get this dramatic. At any particular moment the family is dealing with school shooters, pregnancy scares, drug addictions across multiple characters, accidental felonies, murderers stalking the kids, police brutality, financial destruction, pedophiles, bio-parents of the foster kids showing up out of nowhere, deaths in the family, multiple near-death scenario's for members of the family, rape, incest, adultery, and occasional racism. And those are just the major plot points, not even considering the minor sub-plots interwoven throughout each season.

It's like this show is an experiment by the writers to see just how much drama can be crammed into one show before it spontaneously collapses into a black hole from the sheer weight of it all.

• Locked thread