Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
This Nando Lid sure is expensive, but drat it is it Cool And Good.

http://www.mclarenstore.com/stores/mclaren/en/product/mclaren-honda-andretti-fernando-alonso-indy-500-cap---new-era-9forty/208668

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

Kimoa has a Indy section and I signed up for it. Here's the unlisted playlist where apparently they will add a new video every day.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLotSZyu_TrJqQEgzGbvuuv1Ve0oxrM_U6

drat. Nando's motorhome is nicer than my apartment. And those videos are kickin rad.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Human Grand Prix posted:

It seems to be thrown around a lot, especially at Indy. There is very little reason to sandbag these days.

Mind games, m8

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Indy doesn't have a podium. :ssh:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:|

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The 500 doesnt.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iospace posted:

It's ridiculous comparing Honda in Indy to Honda in F1.

One has an engine that by and large is the best in its series in terms of power and able to come onto said power, which is why it won all the super-speedway races last year (small sample of two engines and three races mind you). Obviously no racing engine is going to be as reliable as the one in your car, but it's held its own and actually helped overcome the lack of downforce their aerokits have compared to Chevy's in the opening two street races.

Then there's the massive pile of poo poo that's in F1. Like, I understand that a 2.2L twin turbo that revs only to 12k RPM is pretty different from a 1.6L single turbo that goes up to 15k RPM, but why wouldn't they share notes or something? Yeah it's two different divisions but come on
:ughh:

It's well documented that Honda Japan's calling card is engineering solutions to problems nobody has. Literally every engine in the world has a crank that spins the same direction and Honda think they need to produce an engine that does the opposite, for example.

I mean they have made some incredible engines in the past thanks to this approach, like the original VTEC from the NSX or their utterly exceptional first stab at a Diesel engine (the 2.2 I-CDTi was sublime), but it's got a low hit rate.

There's no doubt in my mind that Honda decided that they wanted to be cleverer than the established manufacturers in F1 and design a dominant engine in a different way as it would be an amazing way to shore up sales of the hybrid NSX globally, but it has just backfired in the most depressing and spectacular way possible. I mean, your engine is literally rattling to pieces? Your testbed engine was a single loving cylinder? The team you're bankrolling has no hesitation in calling you a bunch of clueless shitheads in the global media? All of that on top of the most recent memory of Honda in F1 is them dropping their F1 project like a hot turd the year before they won the WCC.

I mean I love Honda and I joke that Ferrari is my terrible joy for their autistic savant ability to screw themselves, but goddamn Honda.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

This is violence

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of old FWD VWs from a few days ago, someone in Spokane is offering a Corrado VR6 and I want it despite my total lack of a parking space at my apartment.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Speaking of old FWD VWs from a few days ago, someone in Spokane is offering a Corrado VR6 and I want it despite my total lack of a parking space at my apartment.

Yah but how often do you come across a VR6 Corrado? Do it you idiot loving do it quit smoking so you can save litearlly thousands of dollars a year and move into a bigger space with an actual parking spot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Buy it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't possibly justify it without a parking spot :smith:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

It's well documented that Honda Japan's calling card is engineering solutions to problems nobody has. Literally every engine in the world has a crank that spins the same direction and Honda think they need to produce an engine that does the opposite, for example.

I mean they have made some incredible engines in the past thanks to this approach, like the original VTEC from the NSX or their utterly exceptional first stab at a Diesel engine (the 2.2 I-CDTi was sublime), but it's got a low hit rate.

There's no doubt in my mind that Honda decided that they wanted to be cleverer than the established manufacturers in F1 and design a dominant engine in a different way as it would be an amazing way to shore up sales of the hybrid NSX globally, but it has just backfired in the most depressing and spectacular way possible. I mean, your engine is literally rattling to pieces? Your testbed engine was a single loving cylinder? The team you're bankrolling has no hesitation in calling you a bunch of clueless shitheads in the global media? All of that on top of the most recent memory of Honda in F1 is them dropping their F1 project like a hot turd the year before they won the WCC.

I mean I love Honda and I joke that Ferrari is my terrible joy for their autistic savant ability to screw themselves, but goddamn Honda.

This. All of this I agree with.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm the idiot that bought an N62 engined BMW 'because V8' so I probably shouldn't weigh in on this subject.

On an unrelated note I was wondering how they did onboard shots of F1 in the 60s and found this hilariously OSHA photo.

Now I'm conflicted as to who had bigger balls, the drivers or the cameramen?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lmao a human go pro mount

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I hope Nando podiums after sandbagging a bit and I hope he doesn't Tony it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Does it have the Speedlines? This is important.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

Yah but how often do you come across a VR6 Corrado? Do it you idiot loving do it quit smoking so you can save litearlly thousands of dollars a year and move into a bigger space with an actual parking spot.

He'll also have spend further thousands chasing down electrical gremlins that Corrados are known for. It's a wash really.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The majority of Honda's F1 projects have been stupid ideas that go nowhere. It's nothing new. Keep in mind these are the people that made a magnesium F1 car with a air-cooled V8 for no apparent reason.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also I'm sure a parking space in Seattle is something like $69000 dollars a year.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

Also I'm sure a parking space in Seattle is something like $69000 dollars a year.

Here in Camden my parking space went from £100 for a legit carcinogenic 2.2 diesel with no DPF to £300 for a V8 petrol despite the fact I drive the loving thing less than a third as much.

Local politics are loving stupid.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why do they use GBP in New Jersey?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Desperate desire to be part of the great empire? :britain:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So Mercedes has apparently been doing a whole bunch of Behind the Scenes videos with Bottas and Hamilton.

Here's Bottas showing us around his room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzazqgTAm3g

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

A co-worker bought his condo outright after renting and the parking spot cost $40000 alone.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

The majority of Honda's F1 projects have been stupid ideas that go nowhere. It's nothing new. Keep in mind these are the people that made a magnesium F1 car with a air-cooled V8 for no apparent reason.

When you build an F1 car that is a literal bomb and John Surtees - a guy who has won the equivalent of a suicide run SIX GODDAMN loving TIMES in the Isle of Mann TT and is also an F1 champion - tells you this is unacceptable and you plough on....

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A co-worker bought his condo outright after renting and the parking spot cost $40000 alone.

Yep, my buddy bought a condo and their parking spot was about the same price.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

This thread seems to have a consistently bad poster for a year or two and then they disapear, I'm beginning to wonder if it's the same gimmick recycled

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

djssniper posted:

This thread seems to have a consistently bad poster for a year or two and then they disapear, I'm beginning to wonder if it's the same gimmick recycled

Hey, sorry, the combination of 2009 aero formula and then the hybrid engine formula really sapped my motivation to post about F1 for the last couple of seasons. But the new aero and wider tires are fantastic just gotta sort out the engine formula and I'll be rock hard instead of halfway there sort of mushy rock feel.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol at living somewhere where you have to pay to park.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 19, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

Lol at living somewhere where you have to park.

Go on?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

djssniper posted:

I call it the Drizzle Constant. Remove one bad poster and a void is formed that must be filled. Tony is a victim of a malignant entropic spirit. Poor fella needs an exorcism not a probation.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

I call it the Drizzle Constant. Remove one bad poster and a void is formed that must be filled. Tony is a victim of a malignant entropic spirit. Poor fella needs an exorcism not a probation.

So you're saying a racist Australian is powered by the spirit of a racist American?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

So you're saying a racist Australian is powered by the spirit of a racist American?

It's Racistception

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is very cool.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ma...me=1495123769#1

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

They made a GP bike with oval pistons in it. It never won anything that I'm aware of.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Norns posted:

loving rooftop parties. Looks like a Nando Switch comercial

Oh my! Nando, affiliated with a Japanese company, using American extras, roof top party, good looking people who are better than you. Peddling off a capitalist product.

The synergy! Ron would be proud.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paging Norns:

So, went to a local hobby shop.

Slot cars!

What's this?

Anime GT cars, no less.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Did you buy one?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unfortunately, no. I was just browsing. I was really tempted to buy a model rocket though!

• Locked thread