Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Khagan posted:

Is there a ranking of players from both this class and next year's cause I'm curious if Michael Porter tops it.

It's him and doncic

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It should be noted that, as far as I am aware, Donic is the clear frontrunner in most peoples eyes.

e: jfc there is a dude who is 19, 7 foot, with a 7'9" wingspan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You'd even put them in separate tiers ?

All I've heard , I think from givony on a podcast , is that they are in tier one together way above everyone else.

I guess splitting hairs.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah it's just really encouraging as a rookie, even if it's versus trash players. He's been used a lot to close out games also though - he gets lost sometimes but drat if he isn't insanely athletic. Lebron's gonna roast him in a few hours and I'll probably cry

Ironically Jaylen Brown turned out to be the lone bright spot for the Celtics. 10 points and 9 boards in 19 minutes against this team in a Conference Final is drat good for rookie.

Obviously they should play him 38 minutes next time so he goes for 20 and 18 ;)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Is Thornwell the defensive stopper that some sites are claiming he is?

He was inconsistent in the season on the defensive end but was a monster in the tournament and carried SC like three rounds farther than they should've gone.

Khagan posted:

Why does Fultz get a pass for having bad teammates but not Dennis Smith?

He's my second PG behind Fultz so I guess that's a pass from me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Khagan posted:

Why does Fultz get a pass for having bad teammates but not Dennis Smith?

Because fultz was way better?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

Because fultz was way better?

Smith also pulled a Pippen and straight up refused to check back into a game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also I'm not sure Fultz is even totally getting a pass. Playing for a bad team is probably the biggest reason that there is a minority of people arguing he's not a no brainer top prospect, because otherwise it's pretty hard to see any argument against him (on a BPA level, if you want to try to argue someone else fits Boston better I guess you could but I'd still disagree). Whereas with Smith there are lots of other reasons to find fault with him beyond his team being crappy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm never been more sure about anything in my life than I am about Ball busting super hard if he's taken by the Lakers (or anyone really, I really really dislike him and have a hard time wrapping my head around him being a top pick). They really should go Josh Jackson but everything I'm hearing says that they are actually looking at Fox.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Fox's jumper never actually goes in but hey at least it doesn't look silly

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Yeah but at least you can project Fox getting his jumper off against NBA defenders without about 10 yards of space. And I know you're being facetious, but it does look like he has solid form. You have to believe there's just something a little bit off and it could be fixed.

Regardless, the jumper problem is just one of the many glaring issues with Ball.

Edit: Though I'm probably under-emphasizing his strengths a little bit in my own head, he truly is a gifted passer.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 18, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mikeraskol posted:

Regardless, the jumper problem is just one of the many glaring issues with Ball.

What other glaring problems?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Inability to pull-up right and a slow first step.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

Inability to pull-up right and a slow first step.

Questionable ability to actually run an offense

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Lockback posted:

This is just me personally but I worry about his so so athleticism and handle, poor finishing at the rim in traffic and questionable ability to run a half court offense as opposed to just running fast breaks all the time which doesn't happen in the NBA. I don't like that when he went up against NBA athletes he struggled. And this is an extension of the jump shot issue, but he just has the complete inability to go right, to pull up quickly for a jumper or score anything at all mid-range which is less important now but still matters.

That all sounds doom and gloom and obviously he should still be a high pick but I have deep reservations.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 18, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm very curious why you don't think that Lonzo Ball won't be able to shoot open jumpers in the NBA. Do you think that his busted rear end shot will just magically stop working or something?

Also Fox is almost guaranteed to bust in my eyes so I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. He's a tiny dude who can't shoot and weighs 170lbs. There is no way he is going to be able to functionally get to the rim in the nba.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 18, 2017

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm very curious why you don't think that Lonzo Ball won't be able to shoot open jumpers in the NBA. Do you think that his busted rear end shot will just magically stop working or something?

I think he will be able to shoot wide wide wide open jumpers in the NBA. His busted rear end shot takes forever to wind up and comes from a low angle, so I think that actual NBA athletes closing on him will cause problems unless he is extremely wide open. If he has an hour to spot up for a corner three then yeah, of course his shot will be fine there. But if I'm taking a point guard at 2 in the draft I think I need more than that shooting-wise.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also Fox is almost guaranteed to bust in my eyes so I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

I thinks it's more an issue of getting the space needed to get that shot off. Of course we're in the Curry era of 3s where 27 ft shots are de rigeur so who knows.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also Fox is almost guaranteed to bust in my eyes so I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. He's a tiny dude who can't shoot and weighs 170lbs. There is no way he is going to be able to functionally get to the rim in the nba.

Ball dominant point guards don't get a lot of assisted (and therefore not a lot of open) three pointers. He can hit in transition and against a broken D, but that's going to be a very small proportion of shots at the NBA level.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I thinks it's more an issue of getting the space needed to get that shot off. Of course we're in the Curry era of 3s where 27 ft shots are de rigeur so who knows.

Oh obviously, but in an NBA system centered around getting shooters open he can probably be effective. He's going to have to learn to play off the ball and learn how to drive to the left if he wants to be a star, though.

DeimosRising posted:

Ball dominant point guards don't get a lot of assisted (and therefore not a lot of open) three pointers. He can hit in transition and against a broken D, but that's going to be a very small proportion of shots at the NBA level.

Maybe it's because I don't see him being a long term point guard in the league. His a 6'6" dude with a slow first step who can only drive in one direction. Sure he can run an offense in a pinch but I imagine he is going to spend a lot of his time at the wing in the NBA.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Maybe it's because I don't see him being a long term point guard in the league. His a 6'6" dude with a slow first step who can only drive in one direction. Sure he can run an offense in a pinch but I imagine he is going to spend a lot of his time at the wing in the NBA.

I'm probably thinking about this the wrong way, so someone please set me straight. But if that's what you see his role as, how is he justified as the second pick? The whole reason he's up there is his gifted passing ability. If his other limitations force you to take the ball out of his hands for the most part, doesn't that minimize his one truly exceptional skill? If that's that the case, how is he the second pick?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

I'm probably thinking about this the wrong way, so someone please set me straight. But if that's what you see his role as, how is he justified as the second pick? The whole reason he's up there is his gifted passing ability. If his other limitations force you to take the ball out of his hands for the most part, doesn't that minimize his one truly exceptional skill? If that's that the case, how is he the second pick?

Oh, I don't really think he is worth the 2nd pick, but I think he is an infinity better prospect than Fox. Ball has a pretty high floor, imo. What the 'right' move for the Lakers is not really clear. I'm inclined to say that it is Jackson, but they odds of them being able to successfully develop Jackson and Ingrahm at the same time are pretty low.

Given the position that the lakers are in, trading down or trading the pick for someone may be a much better use of their time.

e: Or take Ball and hope that he can play SG.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wonder if the Kings have any interest at all in trading up since at #5 they are guaranteed to choose between two of Jackson, Ball, Fox, Tatum, or Smith. The #10 probably isn't worth moving up and I don't know if a low second rounder or Richardson move the needle at all for LA or Philly

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Wonder if the Kings have any interest at all in trading up since at #5 they are guaranteed to choose between two of Jackson, Ball, Fox, Tatum, or Smith. The #10 probably isn't worth moving up and I don't know if a low second rounder or Richardson move the needle at all for LA or Philly

Probably not for either. L.A. has a late first already and Philly has 4 second rounders already.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LA is going to take Ball and then go after Westbrook next year.

How excited are you all for the LaVar Ball "Westbrook needs to defer to Lonzo" hot take? GET YO POPCRN RDY

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I hope the Lakers take Ball and then flip him to Sacramento.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I watched a slo mo of Balls J and .... what the gently caress????

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Don't Bogart that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhyHc71KTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSidKkWYweQ

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its obscene and unnatural. The mark of chaos.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh, I don't really think he is worth the 2nd pick, but I think he is an infinity better prospect than Fox. Ball has a pretty high floor, imo. What the 'right' move for the Lakers is not really clear. I'm inclined to say that it is Jackson, but they odds of them being able to successfully develop Jackson and Ingrahm at the same time are pretty low.

Given the position that the lakers are in, trading down or trading the pick for someone may be a much better use of their time.

e: Or take Ball and hope that he can play SG.

Why wouldn't they be able to develop Jackson and Ingram at the same time? At this point the only wings on the Lakers roster are Ingram and Deng (who I think, everyone, including Luke Walton, can agree probably shouldn't spend a ton of time on the wings anymore). They have the minutes and they have the shots to go to him.

Besides, there is no one in the top 10 who is NBA ready except maybe Fultz so whoever they draft is going to need to be developed.

Also, all the things you've said doesn't go with Ball having a high floor. You described a player with a low floor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've watched a lot of YouTube and :

Jesus loving Christ why do they shoot like this ???!!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It goes in a lot

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Because their dad made them take multiple 40ft shots per game since middle school and if you are 10 years old in order to generate enough power to get the ball anywhere near the basket from that far out you end up developing really weird mechanics.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This is my 1.0 mock. I'm guessing with all international guys. I also need to do some work on the bottom 10 because most of my work was pre-tournament and the biggest shifts happened 20-50 after the tournament, so I just need to find a way to look at like the 10 college guys that jumped up because of the tournament. This isn't evaluating things like the Kings and Suns and the randomness they introduce (although I plan to do that later. I also plan to do the second, too, but am waiting to see who stays in). Also, while I put BPA, I feel that 2-8 are fairly interchangeable and can logically picked at any of these spots by someone reasonable.

code:
1	Celtics	Markelle Fultz	Duh
2	Lakers	Josh Jackson	BPA
3	Sixers	Malik Monk	Perfect for them.
4	Suns	Lauri Markkanen	BPA
5	Kings	Dennis Smith	BPA
6	Magic	Jayson Tatum	BPA
7	Timberwolves	Jonathan Issac	BPA
8	Knicks	Frank Ntilikina	BPA
9	Mavs	Lonzo Ball	BPA
10	Kings	Donovan Mitchelle	Already drafted PG
11	Hornets	De'Aron Fox	BPA
12	Pistons	Zach Collins	hosed by all PGs gone.  BPA
13	Nuggets	OG Anunoby	BPA
14	Heat	Jonathan Jeanne	?
15	Blazers	Jarret Allen	BPA
16	Bulls	Luke Kennard	BPA
17	Bucks	Ike Anibogu	BPA
18	Pacers	Justin Jackson	
19	Hawks	Rodions Kurucs	
20	Blazers	TJ Leaf	
21	Thunder	Tyler Lydon	
22	Nets	John Collins	
23	Raptors	Justin Patton	
24	Jazz	Isaiah Hartenstein	
25	Magic	Ivan Rabb	
26	Blazers	Semi Ojeleye	
27	Nets	Bam Adebayo	
28	Lakers	Josh Hart	
29	Spurs	Jordan Bell	
30	Jazz	Harry Giles	

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 19, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If Justin Jackson is picked right in front of okc I will be sad

E: DAMMIT RICK NOW MY POST LOOKS STRANGE

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Sorry I had Jarret Allen twice which is why he Justin Jackson was that low, although, I dunno I wouldn't be super excited about him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
There's like no one I like for okc so that's why op

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'd be shocked if justin jackson makes it past the bulls, he's bulls as gently caress although it is possible the bulls draft the wrong justin jackson from maryland or superstar northwestern running back justin jackson The Ball Carrier

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lydon is a little bit of a stretch at 21 but OKC absolutely needs another scorer and like there is a lot of bad about Lydon but he absolutely can score so that's why I put him there. He was basically the only person past 20 who I had logic for.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'd be shocked if justin jackson makes it past the bulls, he's bulls as gently caress although it is possible the bulls draft the wrong justin jackson from maryland or superstar northwestern running back justin jackson The Ball Carrier

I actually agree with you and the eventual "this team will do this" draft will feature him to the Bulls unless I get wind that the Kings are thinking of picking him higher.

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

If the suns take Markkanen I'm going to be real mad

• Locked thread