Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

For fellow armchair race engineers, I did some air density calcs (kg/m3) for the next two days:

High air density generally means fast cars at Indy (to a point), as the engine makes more power and you can strip more topside downforce off and rely solely on the more drag efficient tray. At some point though, youve stripped all the topside aero off and the extra drag of the high density air starts to overtake the powergains, and speeds go back down. I don't think we will get to that point though.

It looks like right off the bat on Saturday will be the best time to roll out (as per usual) to make the top 9, as air densities will drop steadily throughout the day. Rain is also projected by the NWS to pick up as the day goes on.

If you are looking to make qual sims on Fast Friday, looks like sometime around 1-2 will be as close as you'll get.

Of course this is all based on projections... and rain is gonna throw a wrench in all of this planning as the track will definitely be down some the next 2 days. Rain and clouds will also cool the track down, which means faster speeds, but that will probably be balanced out by the stripping of rubber off the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

lol, my dad just sent me this after spending the day at the track:

"The best moment was when a Dad and his 3 boys and 1 girl sat down nearby. It must have been their first time here for when this 20 car pack came through like a FREIGHT TRAIN in under 4 sec. they were crying, laughing, shaking and shouting all at once. The littlest boy leapt into his fathers arms and most likely peed his pants. They were thunderstruck. They were instantly made SPEED ADDICTS by this temple of speed.They watched, mesmerized and crawled away to contemplate how much their lives had changed in only 20 min. Wow, what a day."

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Get that family to the U.S. Nationals, stat!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

lol, my dad just sent me this after spending the day at the track:

"The best moment was when a Dad and his 3 boys and 1 girl sat down nearby. It must have been their first time here for when this 20 car pack came through like a FREIGHT TRAIN in under 4 sec. they were crying, laughing, shaking and shouting all at once. The littlest boy leapt into his fathers arms and most likely peed his pants. They were thunderstruck. They were instantly made SPEED ADDICTS by this temple of speed.They watched, mesmerized and crawled away to contemplate how much their lives had changed in only 20 min. Wow, what a day."

That's awesome! Indy is such an addicting thing.

Earliest Indy 500/Month of May memories guys?

I have fuzzy memories of pulling for the Penske guys, Andrettis, Unser Jr., and going to IMS for practice in 1993.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fuzzy memories of watching the race (on TV) prior to 1992 - watched it plenty but don't recall any one moment.

1992, eight year old me ran off in tears when Michael's engine gave up.

1993, dad hauled my brother and I to the race, including Carb Day. Put my name in on a drawing to win a ride in one of the then-new fourthgen Camaros, driven by one of a number of Indy legends. Got drawn to ride shotgun with Lloyd Ruby, and we went out second in line behind Rutherford for a highway speed lap. Dad and brother were crammed into the backseat. I was already on cloud goddamn nine, but as we came around turn 4, we're supposed to head for the pits.

Lloyd looks at Rutherford going into the pits, then at the empty front straight.

Hammer down, and I swear it felt like he didn't lift until turn 3.

Watched nearly every year from 1994 to 2006 on TV with my dad and brothers. After watching Marco and Michael both lose out we decided to start going back every year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, what's this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820944

Competition thread up. I'll get the race info edited in tomorrow, but I wanted to get it up before indy qualifying.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anyway, back on topic

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fuzzy memories of watching the race (on TV) prior to 1992 - watched it plenty but don't recall any one moment.

1992, eight year old me ran off in tears when Michael's engine gave up.

1993, dad hauled my brother and I to the race, including Carb Day. Put my name in on a drawing to win a ride in one of the then-new fourthgen Camaros, driven by one of a number of Indy legends. Got drawn to ride shotgun with Lloyd Ruby, and we went out second in line behind Rutherford for a highway speed lap. Dad and brother were crammed into the backseat. I was already on cloud goddamn nine, but as we came around turn 4, we're supposed to head for the pits.

Lloyd looks at Rutherford going into the pits, then at the empty front straight.

Hammer down, and I swear it felt like he didn't lift until turn 3.

Watched nearly every year from 1994 to 2006 on TV with my dad and brothers. After watching Marco and Michael both lose out we decided to start going back every year.

That is loving awesome :allears:

I... casually followed Indy for a while? I was more NASCAR when I was much younger, but I knew they did the Mile. Don't recall much really.

Also, looking at practice results for today, and notables:
-Jay Howard with the fastest lap at 226.744. Really early in the day though on his 9th lap. It's also the fastest in all practices.
-Hondas stole the top four spots, and hold all the top four across all practices.
-Nando took 4th (and fastest rookie) at 225.619. That also puts him fourth overall across all practices.
-Not counting Buddy Lazier, who didn't really put a true lap in, Sebastian Saavedra was the only one who didn't break 220 (he did in a prior practice though).
-JR Hildebrand has the most laps turned at 284, but he's down in 24th overall. Nando has 2nd most at 272.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

Oh, what's this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820944

Competition thread up. I'll get the race info edited in tomorrow, but I wanted to get it up before indy qualifying.

Nice. I haven't been this excited for a single race in a long time.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the first indy thing i remember is marco getting beat by hornish and that i was on a boat at the time (???)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I remember the Andrettis chasing each other and no pit limit because the cars would bounce around like crazy.
I kinda miss the days without the grass in the turns.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I moved to Indiana for the 1993 school year and knew of the race (my mom watched Can-Am, so she got me into racing). I heard that some guy named Emerson Fittipaldi won the race earlier that year and chose orange juice over milk. Nine year old me though this was bullshit because OJ sucks and milk is clearly the superior beverage (my family is from Wisconsin). The school library had a book "written" by Al Unser Jr. on how to drive an IndyCar. I checked that book out countless times and he quickly became my favorite driver. I saw video of 1992 after visiting the IMS museum which made him even more awesome.

First 500 experience was the next year for Armed Forces Day. My dad was in the Army then, so he got free passes and took me down to the track that weekend. The 2.65L turbo V8s sounded massive and cemented the sound an IndyCar should have. When the Mercedes 500i's thundered by, it was a very primal sound.

Listening to the race on radio in the backyard and then watching Little Al win the race on TV later that night are why I love race cars.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I have vague memories of my dad taking me to see one of the two CART races at the Caesars Palace GP when I was either 3 or 4. I'm sure if I went digging through my mother's storage and her old photo albums I could probably find photo proof. Other than that I only followed Indycar off and on as I grew up, saw the IRL and Champ Car races at LVMS, caught the 97 IRL race at Phoenix, but never really got full-time into watching American Open Wheel Racing until probably the tail end of the last decade. Still haven't been to Indy.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do next weekend, hoping to see if one of the bigger sports books in Vegas will have a viewing party.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I've lived in Indy my entire life, and my racing obsessed grandparents (my grandfather used to race figure 8s in Florida) would routinely take me to tracks all over Indiana and beyond since I was 2. My 1st time at the Speedway was when NASCAR tested there for the first time in '92. I've been to only 1 500 though ('98), but I've gone to the Brickyard 400 in '97 and '02, and the USGP in 2000, '04, '05 (yup, THAT race), and '06. I am going to the 500 this year though and am loving stoked.

2013 is my favorite 500 because it's a phenomenal race and TK has been my favorite driver for years.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pvt. Public posted:

I have gone several times. I love the facility, as others have said and the karts are in really good shape. It is probably the best-run facility in the Midwest and is my favorite kart track. And man, that oval is surprisingly tough on you.

How much passing goes on with that oval? Do you need brakes?

edit : That said I just saw a video of the road course, those karts are slow as balls.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 19, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I lived in Indiana until I was 23 and barely even thought about the 500 until I moved because some dumbfuck morons refused to televise it live in most of the state. My awareness of the 500 was primarily limited to the increased presence of state troopers on 465. In 2007 one of my friends was participating in a prediction pool at her work and asked me for a suggestion, I opened up the entry list in the newspaper and said, "Uh, Franchitti?" This is my life's highest point to date.

wicka fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 19, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Earliest Indy 500/Month of May memories guys?

The very first car race of any kind I ever attended in person was 2013 Indy. My ex and I sat on the inside of pit lane directly behind TK's pit stall. I remember being blown away by the sheer awesomeness of it all, not to mention watching TK's crew/everyone celebrating right in front of me.
I was immediately hooked and have been pretty much all-in ever since :getin:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The first one I remember watching was one of Castroneves's wins I think Idk which but I never really payed much attention to indy until watching the 2012 race and that pretty much hooked me

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The earliest 500 I can remember watching is '95. Then the split happened and I didn't pay attention to the 500 for the next 15 years basically.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

kidcoelacanth posted:

the first indy thing i remember is marco getting beat by hornish and that i was on a boat at the time (???)

Greatest Indy 500 ever. Thank gently caress for Sam Hornish, Jr.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The earliest 500 I remember was 2014 because I'm a big loving idiot who wasted a huge portion of his life not realizing how much he loved racing

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, today is the day to watch the practice. Right?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
FYI if you're bored you can watch 1995 Bump Day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7GlTcKDfQ

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

So, today is the day to watch the practice. Right?

Yeah Fast Friday.

Should see the engines using boost today and high-speed unless the weather is poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don't know if this was posted already, but I just learned today that Jeff Teague is sponsoring Lazier's entry, AND the reason he wasn't able to get on track until yesterday was because a bunch of his parts were stolen in the offseason.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

Don't know if this was posted already, but I just learned today that Jeff Teague is sponsoring Lazier's entry, AND the reason he wasn't able to get on track until yesterday was because a bunch of his parts were stolen in the offseason.

I feel like this entry would make a good mini documentary.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

1993 was the first year I remember watching the entire 500. I definitely watched the Little Al vs. Goodyear battle at the end of the 1992 race, and probably caught bits and pieces of races before that.

thisLambo
Aug 28, 2016

My first Indy 500? The 100th Running last year.

Growing up I used to say the racing I liked was Indy/CART and F1. Never really stayed to watch.

In 2015 I started watching Empty_Box's IndyCar races and was intrigued... watched a few races (IndyCar uploaded them!).

Determined I wanted to go see the closest IndyCar race and went to St. Pete in 2016 and was hooked. Then again this year.

Maybe next year I'll go see the 102nd Indy 500, really want to now.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

I lived in Indiana until I was 23 and barely even thought about the 500 until I moved because some dumbfuck morons refused to televise it live in most of the state.

I know this is common practice in America but it'll never stop being hilarious to me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

thisLambo posted:

In 2015 I started watching Empty_Box's IndyCar races and was intrigued... watched a few races (IndyCar uploaded them!).

Same. I blame buying a used G27 for my racing addiction.

Now I spend all my free time watching racing and sim racing...and I have individual parts on my loving rig that are a grand plus...

Someone help me

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

I lived in Indiana until I was 23 and barely even thought about the 500 until I moved because some dumbfuck morons refused to televise it live in most of the state.

Ah the joys of living in the dumpster portion of the state. Evansville-Henderson Television Channel 25 bitch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

I know this is common practice in America but it'll never stop being hilarious to me.

It's insanely, unbelievably stupid because it effectively limits your audience to the people who are already watching. You're undermining your ability to attract new fans because so few people are going to spend money to attend an event they've never seen before. Several sports have done studies related to TV blackouts and shown that attendance increases when a blackout is lifted (CITATION NEEDED), because you're actually advertising your sport.

Peanut President posted:

Ah the joys of living in the dumpster portion of the state. Evansville-Henderson Television Channel 25 bitch.

Yes, the "dumpster portion," AKA the state's only first-world settlement.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
my earliest Indy memory is the Pat Bedard crash

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Why am I not surprised your earliest memories are of a crash?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

It's insanely, unbelievably stupid because it effectively limits your audience to the people who are already watching. You're undermining your ability to attract new fans because so few people are going to spend money to attend an event they've never seen before. Several sports have done studies related to TV blackouts and shown that attendance increases when a blackout is lifted (CITATION NEEDED), because you're actually advertising your sport.

Yes, the "dumpster portion," AKA the state's only first-world settlement.

SWIndiana is definitely the dumpster but thanks for defending our honor?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Norns posted:

Why am I not surprised your earliest memories are of a crash?

hey man when you see a family friend killed in a racing crash at a young age it breaks your brain, I dunno

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

SWIndiana is definitely the dumpster but thanks for defending our honor?

Oh god I'm a dumbfuck, I misread that and thought you were calling Bloomington a dumpster.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

hey man when you see a family friend killed in a racing crash at a young age it breaks your brain, I dunno

I could see that playing into that, yes.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Northern indiana is 100% where it's at.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If Nando is in next year's Indy I for sure will be going. Scheduling prevented me from doing this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OhsH posted:

Northern indiana is 100% where it's at.

Counterpoint: gently caress Gary :colbert:

• Locked thread