Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

Here's the weirdest question I think I've asked here: do any of you know the hieroglyphics for "semen"? The Set/Horus jizz story was a topic of conversation earlier and I couldn't find an answer.

Look for this hieroglyoh: :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That article talks like you need a reason to dump bodies off a bridge.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grand Fromage posted:

Here's the weirdest question I think I've asked here: do any of you know the hieroglyphics for "semen"? The Set/Horus jizz story was a topic of conversation earlier and I couldn't find an answer.

https://archive.org/details/egyptianhierogly01budguoft

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Super bowl to you.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Ask / Tell › Ask us about Roman/Greek/other ancient history: to catch the imperial divine spurting semen

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Kassad posted:

Ask / Tell › Ask us about Roman/Greek/other ancient history: to catch the imperial divine spurting semen squiggly skirt fancybird two feathers sunset over water

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I bet that last glyph is the Egyptian creation, the waters of life and the first bit of land sticking out. That would make sense to have in the word for semen given its cultural significance.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Fromage posted:

I bet that last glyph is the Egyptian creation, the waters of life and the first bit of land sticking out. That would make sense to have in the word for semen given its cultural significance.

Meanwhile I'm just going to tell myself that the first one is :gizz: turned vertical.

edit: does it bother anyone else here that the jizz emote is spelled with a "G"? This is the only place i've ever seen it spelled that way.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

that's quite a mouthful

Grand Fromage posted:

didn't the pharaoh have to :gizz: in the nile to keep the fields fertile

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

didn't the pharaoh have to :gizz: in the nile to keep the fields fertile

My understanding is that tradition isn't well attested. Jizz was the creative force in Egyptian culture though. Women are just soil for men to plant the dickbabies in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Probably in the spells they found in the workers camp.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Amazing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What's the hieroglyph for dickbutte?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meanwhile I'm just going to tell myself that the first one is :gizz: turned vertical.

edit: does it bother anyone else here that the jizz emote is spelled with a "G"? This is the only place i've ever seen it spelled that way.

On the other hand, the Great Pyramids at Giza.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm assuming from the fact that it's four characters that hieroglyphics aren't a straight pictographic language as I'd assumed--is it a syllabary, or a pictogram/syllabary hybrid?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

cheetah7071 posted:

pictogram/syllabary hybrid?

This iirc

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sort of. Logograms + determinatives + an abjad/syllabary type phonetic thing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm assuming from the fact that it's four characters that hieroglyphics aren't a straight pictographic language as I'd assumed--is it a syllabary, or a pictogram/syllabary hybrid?

Lots of words have determinatives -- symbols that tell you whether the word in question is an animal or a woman or a bodily discharge.

I don't know much about hieroglyphics, but I can tell that the word quoted above is missing its "this is a bodily discharge" determinative. Maybe that's a lexicon thing, though?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homullus posted:

Lots of words have determinatives -- symbols that tell you whether the word in question is an animal or a woman or a bodily discharge.

I don't know much about hieroglyphics, but I can tell that the word quoted above is missing its "this is a bodily discharge" determinative. Maybe that's a lexicon thing, though?

Are these determinatives part of coptic, or are they unpronounced characters added to the writing? I took enough undergraduate linguistics to be super fascinated by this stuff

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

cheetah7071 posted:

You can see from the surrounding entries that it was more of a hybrid. Per wikipedia, "the same sign can, according to context, be interpreted in diverse ways: as a phonogram (phonetic reading), as a logogram, or as an ideogram (semagram; "determinative") (semantic reading)."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

homullus posted:

animal or a woman or a bodily discharge.

Ancient Egyptian 20 questions was hosed up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want a language like German except instead of Masculine Feminine and Neuter all words are either Animal Woman or Bodily Discharge.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I want a language like German except instead of Masculine Feminine and Neuter all words are either Animal Woman or Bodily Discharge.

lol

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Would the category for women also include fire and dangerous things?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Animals, Women, and Bodily Discharges are the foundation of the internet.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Squalid posted:

On the subject of spurting, if any of you haven't yet subscribed to the British museum's youtube channel do it now, it is a goldmine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehH6YXweUKo

This video describes Roman penile consmetic surgery, among other things.

On a related note, I just got this new-ish book from the library and it's a pretty fun read:
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/a-cabinet-of-ancient-medical-curiosities-9780190610432?cc=us&lang=en&
Here's a bit from Hippocrates:

quote:

If a woman does not conceive, and you wish to ascertain whether she ever will, wrap her in blankets and fumigate her lower body. If it appears that the smoke passes up through her body to her nose and mouth, you may be sure that she is not infertile (Hippocrates, Aphorisms 5.59).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SerialKilldeer posted:

Would the category for women also include fire and dangerous things?

I mean I like those more as Bodily Discharges myself.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I came across this quote somewhere else online and I'd like to ask the author(s) to back it up with evidence, but having evidence to the contrary would be great too. Can anyone suggest some sites to dig through?

quote:

Depictions of Rome and Greece in ancient literature shows other ancient cultures found them quite backwards, and were adverse to mixing with them. By many standards they were very backwards, and it’s only Europe (and, as an extension, America) that revered them to the extent they do. Asia and Africa had no reason to see them as advanced, because they made many more technological advancements than either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Uh. I mean, it was pretty common for empires to view other empires as filthy barbarians. The Persians certainly thought of the Greeks as uncouth barbarians, the Egyptians and Chinese thought of everyone as inferior. But the assertion that was correct because other places were more advanced certainly isn't true. For one, real life isn't a game of Civilization where you can count how many things you've researched on the tech tree. Nobody on Earth was building like the classical Romans and wouldn't be for a thousand years. The Greeks invented forms of warfare so effective that literally everyone who came into contact with them copied it.

The Romans were a world-spanning multi-ethnic state and all the evidence is that anyone who could get to the empire in the Old World probably did. Every group in Europe lived there, tons from Africa and the Middle East, and there's evidence of Indians, East Asians, and Japanese living there. People certain'y weren't adverse.

This sounds like Black Egypt style desperate attempts to claim heritage by dismissing reality. Which always pisses me off. Yeah there's all sorts of cool stuff in Asia and Africa and the Americas that doesn't get the study it deserves. That doesn't change or diminish what happened in Europe.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the case could definitely be made that the greek citystates were poor, isolated barbarians compared to the persian empire at the time Herodotus describes tho, and it's just an accident of history that we see their fight as a showdown between greek civilization and persian barbarism / a foretaste of the "clash of civilizations" between "the west" and "the middle east"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 19, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That statement is so broad that I'm sure it's kinda true for at least some portions of history (like, Carthage is African and I'm sure they thought rome was a backwater at the beginning of the first punic war; I'm sure Ptolemaic Egypt thought the same thing until Rome got too big to ignore). But there's records of China considering Rome (vaguely, since they barely had contact) to be their western counterpart; Parthia and later Sasanid Persia were constant rivals with Rome but were always on the back foot or at best relative equality until like the 6th century. Africa is a bigger head-scratcher because Rome controlled more or less the entirety of those parts of Africa that were "civilized" during the period that Rome existed.

I'd need a lot more context for that quote to say more than that though.

e: yeah if you limit it to Greece and ignore Rome then it's much more broadly true for a long period; the only real reason we care at all about Greeks before Alexander is because they were so much better at writing things down than their neighbors (or, alternatively, Alexander made it so that it was much more popular to preserve Greek texts)

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 19, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheetah7071 posted:

e: yeah if you limit it to Greece and ignore Rome then it's much more broadly true for a long period; the only real reason we care at all about Greeks before Alexander is because they were so much better at writing things down than their neighbors (or, alternatively, Alexander made it so that it was much more popular to preserve Greek texts)
the persians wrote tons of poo poo down dog, it's because the people who lived nearby much later perceived themselves as related to the greeks in a way that they weren't to the persians

if the civilization that preceded the civilization that preceded the civilization that gave rise to america were in what is now iran, we'd all be talking about darius the great right now

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

HEY GAIL posted:

the case could definitely be made that the greek citystates were poor, isolated barbarians compared to the persian empire at the time Herodotus describes tho, and it's just an accident of history that we see their fight as a showdown between greek civilization and persian barbarism / a foretaste of the "clash of civilizations" between "the west" and "the middle east"

Yeah it's fair that we care about the Greeks because they're our cultural ancestors. Like a lot of these things we need a timeframe. Greeks were isolated mountain people and then they took over the entire classical world.

If it's trying to make the argument that non-western cultures don't care much about the Greeks so therefore they weren't important, that's a big can of worms to open up and also dumb.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HEY GAIL posted:

the persians wrote tons of poo poo down dog, it's because the people who lived nearby much later perceived themselves as related to the greeks in a way that they weren't to the persians

if the civilization that preceded the civilization that preceded the civilization that gave rise to america were in what is now iran, we'd all be talking about darius the great right now

Um excuse me we'd actually be talking about Cyrus

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Cambyses conquered Egypt I don't see why he gets the short end of the stick just cuz he was insane.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

I don't think this position is actually tennable if you consider cultural contributions Greeks developed in the period in which the interaction between Persia and Greece occured -- it's not just a question of relationship to our civilization. It's more interesting to think about the suggestion in some of the literature that it was that period that was probably the most culturally formative, maybe because of the wars in that period, or that which was being developed during.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 19, 2017

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The context for that quote was Tumblr ( http://writingwithcolor.tumblr.com/post/160812913398/how-to-blend-cultures-without-making-impossible ) and I want to think that it was written with good intentions, but in some hands the line between genuine education about minority cultures and pointlessly bashing what's more well known gets nonexistent. I love few things more than I love people discussing things they're knowledgable about, which is the reason I read threads like this despite not knowing much about the topic. I try to find decent blogs to continue learning through other people's knowledge but sometimes I end up finding utter garbage in the process.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The blog post looks well-intentioned and has some definitely good points on worldbuilding (which is the point of the post I think? it's a bit confusing) but it's kinda weird in places and doesn't really have a firm grasp on ancient history.

e: despite it being literally an example of what not to do, that post made me start picturing what the aesthetic of a fictional asian/roman hybrid would look like. I'm picturing pagodas supported by corinthian columns and it's pretty cool

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 19, 2017

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Well, just to take two quick examples, it's fairly clear that China did not perceive Rome as a garbage barbarian society. It imported Roman products, and the limited accounts available are not insulting or demeaning in tone:

quote:

This country (the Roman Empire) has more than four hundred smaller cities and towns. It extends several thousand li in all directions. The king has his capital (that is, the city of Rome) close to the mouth of a river (the Tiber). The outer walls of the city are made of stone.

…The ruler of this country is not permanent. When disasters result from unusual phenomena, they unceremoniously replace him, installing a virtuous man as king, and release the old king, who does not dare show resentment.

The common people are tall and virtuous like the Chinese, but wear hu (‘Western’) clothes. They say they originally came from China, but left it.

They have always wanted to communicate with China but, Anxi (Parthia), jealous of their profits, would not allow them to pass (through to China).
&.c

Or, facing in the other direction, respect for Egypt is almost a universal value across all ancient Mediterranean societies, which is ironically a major reason people want to invade it, both before and after the Ptolemies are in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When is that quote from? I'm trying to think of what they're talking about in the second paragraph and the best I can think of is it's a misunderstanding of the republican system and they're referring to consuls.