Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Anno Domini mod is up for Civ6! It is crashy as gently caress tho but the ideas are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is DX12 worth using for this? I know early on it wasn't worth using.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlothBear posted:

My favorite thing is how every AI will constantly spam surprise wars on you and then denounce you as a warmonger for fighting back.

I was playing a multiplayer game with my girlfriend and we'd met Montezuma. He was really happy with me but as soon as he met her he contacted her and asked for a joint war against me.
I dunno if that happening all the time is fixed now but it was really annoying.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
The only time I get DOW'd now is in joint wars. And I never keep a large standing army, so it's not like I'm a powerhouse. I've always focused more on city/civ management and less on warmongering, so like a few archers in cities is all I keep unless I get decc'd. Playing on King/Emperor, since I don't play aggressively, eventually everyone ends up as friendly/Friend all the way up until they're wearing my blue jeans and listening to my rock music.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

The only time I get DOW'd now is in joint wars. And I never keep a large standing army, so it's not like I'm a powerhouse. I've always focused more on city/civ management and less on warmongering, so like a few archers in cities is all I keep unless I get decc'd. Playing on King/Emperor, since I don't play aggressively, eventually everyone ends up as friendly/Friend all the way up until they're wearing my blue jeans and listening to my rock music.

Yeah, Joint Wars are still bugged (I really wish Firaxis would get around to fixing this), but other than that it seems pretty easy to play a peaceful game if that's your inclination.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe the game would be more fun if we had to renew trade routes every 5 turns, so we had something to do midgame?

I hate this game, trade routes are so important and so tedious, lovely design.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Maybe the game would be more fun if we had to renew trade routes every 5 turns, so we had something to do midgame?

I hate this game, trade routes are so important and so tedious, lovely design.

The Trade Route system is not super great, like many things basically inherited directly from Civ V.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Magil Zeal posted:

The Trade Route system is not super great, like many things basically inherited directly from Civ V.

But much worse than V. Trade routes were great in V because both the destination and the originator got bonuses. It was a fun way to influence the world around you by sending routes to actually help build certain civs up.

Now it's just a dull yield, and it barely matters who you're sending it to.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Macedon is a ton of fun to play with if you're going for a domination victory. Don't have to worry about war weariness and get a ton of bonuses for taking over cities.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This game really feels like it needs a G&K type overhaul. I sort of get what they were trying to do but it just feels incomplete as is.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Actually it feels remarkably feature-complete for a vanilla Civ game (though it does need something to shake things up in the mid-late game). Main thing it needs is improving the AI so that it can actually play the game somewhat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cythereal posted:

I'm finding Civ6 just isn't much fun now that I've fixed the crashing issues. I play Civ to build and relax in peace and make a neat-looking empire. It's one thing I adore Beyond Earth for. In 6, everyone is so incredibly homicidal and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to stop it even on the easiest difficulty. Barbarians show up to pillage outlying improvements and districts every two or three turns, and every time I mount an expedition to wipe out their camp another two spawn in the fog of war in areas I previously cleared out. And then every AI will happily settle on that one tile on my continent that allows a city, then ship their entire army over and declare war. Even when I'm two or three ages ahead of everyone and have a vastly superior military, it just never stops.

This poo poo isn't fun to deal with however pretty the game is. Time to go back to 5 and Beyond Earth for my relaxing empire-building needs.

My goal with strategy games is also to chill out and build up a cool empire, and I really enjoy Endless Space and its sequels. Just a recommendation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Clarste posted:

My goal with strategy games is also to chill out and build up a cool empire, and I really enjoy Endless Space and its sequels. Just a recommendation.

That's my goal and I hated Endless Space. It had no personality!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, I just like making numbers go up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't played ES2, and it's still in early access, but it looks like they're trying to address the "no personality" problem by adding quests and politics and poo poo. I don't play early access games anymore so I can't attest from personal experience how well they're sticking the landing on that goal, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

But much worse than V. Trade routes were great in V because both the destination and the originator got bonuses. It was a fun way to influence the world around you by sending routes to actually help build certain civs up.

Now it's just a dull yield, and it barely matters who you're sending it to.

Not so much, the yields depend entirely on the city you send it to, so it yes, it does matter who you send it to. Or more accurately, it matters which city you send it to. There is at least an element of building up a city to serve as a "trade route destination" in VI, since generally the best use of trade routes in the base game is internal routes (much like in V, since food is everything in V, it seemed best to only use trade routes for gold if you had to, generally early on before your economy developed). Stacking the right districts to get a nice +4-5 production per route will help the empire continue to expand and grow.

The actual mechanics behind the trade route system are not a big problem, at least not in my mind. I agree it'd be more interesting to see some yields to the destination city, but that's really a minor hiccup compared to actually managing the trade routes, which is tedious (and largely unchanged in its implementation from V, aside from getting more of them).

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Yeah, is much prefer auto trade allocation where you could set priorities like grow this city it emphasis on hold. Nothing too simple, but also not manually reassigning every 15 turns or whatever.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So I've been waiting for a successor mod to Fall From Heaven for two Civ games now. Are there any prospects for a decent major overhaul mod for Civ Vi yet? Civ V only had that mediocre Faerun mod, so far as I know...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The biggest issue to me still remains late game dullness. They could easily fix this by giving units more movement as the game progresses. Playing any map that is standard or bigger is just a drain past move 150.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Taear posted:

That's my goal and I hated Endless Space. It had no personality!

Endless Space 2 is a radical improvement on every front. Try it!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Endless Legend is also pretty cool and more like Civ, I think. There's a lot of difference between factions and some very cool mechanics (like the winter)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am at war with the entire world and all of them declared war with no more than one "rar we don't like you" line. The shores of Australia are waist deep in dead Englishmen, Spainiards, Egyptians, Chinese, Indians, Americans, and Poles, and the onslaught shows no signs of stopping.

Take a loving chill pill, AI.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Endless Legend is also pretty cool and more like Civ, I think. There's a lot of difference between factions and some very cool mechanics (like the winter)

Winter always annoyed me, I felt like I was just...waiting then for stuff to happen.

More annoyingly though the AI in Endless Legend had absolutely no idea how to play the game. I'd walk my units around and just declare war on every AI I met because they couldn't fight back. I'm sure it's changed a lot since launch though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Are there any 4X where the AI isn't completely clueless? The main topic of discussion in this thread is how bad the 6 AI is, it was the main talking point for CiV, ditto CIV, ditto MOO, ditto SMAC, ditto Paradox Games (which yeah aren't really 4X but you get the point)...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I seem to remember galactic civilizations 2 being praised for its AI, but I can't remember specifically why.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I seem to remember galactic civilizations 2 being praised for its AI, but I can't remember specifically why.

Stardock made GalCiv 2 straightforward enough for the AI to play it well, built it's difficulty levels on improving AI strategies instead of adding cheats, and taught the AI to recognize certain player tricks and (most importantly) call the player out on it. This was enough to get praised for having a great AI but I've given the GalCiv games a lot of tries and they always leave me cold.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The alignment system was always weird. I remember having the option to build the great temple of neutrality.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I always like going to this article for referencing Gal Civ II's AI:

http://www.pcgamer.com/galactic-civlizations-2-war-report-part-one/

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyshall posted:

I always like going to this article for referencing Gal Civ II's AI:

http://www.pcgamer.com/galactic-civlizations-2-war-report-part-one/

Holy poo poo thats still around. That article is what got me to buy the game and all the later iterations. Its actually p good.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

So I've been waiting for a successor mod to Fall From Heaven for two Civ games now. Are there any prospects for a decent major overhaul mod for Civ Vi yet? Civ V only had that mediocre Faerun mod, so far as I know...

I don't believe V ever reached the level of "modability" that IV had, thus a proper successor to FFH2 never came. Also the guy that made FFH2 works at a gaming company now as I recall.

It'd be interesting, though. I think FFH2 is one of the better mods for any game, ever. It certainly pushed all the right buttons for me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I dumped a million hours into civ V and started getting into civ IV just before V came out. I also played ten thousand years of civ 1 as a kid.

I got civ VI on release and played like 3-6 games of it. I didn't like it. Is it:
a: patched, fewer bugs
b: better: AI doesn't suck as much
c: vastly improved a la civ v brave new world

edit: I didn't like the religion stuff and the everyone hates you stuff.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

redreader posted:

Hi. I dumped a million hours into civ V and started getting into civ IV just before V came out. I also played ten thousand years of civ 1 as a kid.

I got civ VI on release and played like 3-6 games of it. I didn't like it. Is it:
a: patched, fewer bugs
b: better: AI doesn't suck as much
c: vastly improved a la civ v brave new world

edit: I didn't like the religion stuff and the everyone hates you stuff.

a: Yes.
b: Yes.
c: hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Give it two expansions.

The religion is unchanged and the everyone hates you stuff is unchanged. If you found that bad at launch there's not much reason to look back now. The bug fixes were an odd mix of some very obvious ones and very obscure ones and they added one that makes the game unplayable with barbarians turned on for a lot of people. The better AI is still not good. It's like a toddler instead of a brain damaged toddler.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

VI has gotten better. Just not much better. UI is still useless without mods, and AI is still insane. Devs release DLC, but won't be bothered to sit down and make a quality of life or balance patch.

I still like and play the game, but I don't respect it. Too many of the same mistakes as V.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Magil Zeal posted:

Its actually from beyond earth! It also sucked in that game too, they just love the mechanic.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Its actually from beyond earth! It also sucked in that game too, they just love the mechanic.

Well, it's more similar to BE's than V's to be sure, but fundamentally not much has changed in how the system works. As compared to how trade routes functioned in, say, IV, or II.

Edit: I don't understand the love affair with V: Brave New World to be honest, though. VI already feels like a game that's improved on that.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 19, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

rabidsquid posted:

i have to say that in civ 4 religion was the gamiest poo poo in the series so i find it interesting that particular game is exempt from the "gamey" accusation

Hmm, a complex "gamey" mechanic in an interesting video game isn't criticized the same as a binary boring mechanic? 🤔🤔🤔

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The thing Civ 6 needs to bring back is moving into hills, forest, or across river tiles with your remaining move points instead of forcing you to wait/end turn. Like how the hell do you even backstep that hard, it's even worse than Civ 1's "you have a 33-66% chance of moving into a forest or hill tile if your unit has <1 move"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

orangelex44 posted:

Agreed. Unfortunately the modability of the game engine in civV was actively hostile since "DLC is the future" so they had to limit what was available to modders. Civ6 is uncomfortably similar, but better. It is still missing the programmability civ4 had with its native python, and even its dlls available in the sdk.

So far civ6 moddability is just marketing. But the community has been creating interesting mods and there is still time and expansions for it to improve.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The White Dragon posted:

The thing Civ 6 needs to bring back is moving into hills, forest, or across river tiles with your remaining move points instead of forcing you to wait/end turn.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The White Dragon posted:

The thing Civ 6 needs to bring back is moving into hills, forest, or across river tiles with your remaining move points instead of forcing you to wait/end turn. Like how the hell do you even backstep that hard, it's even worse than Civ 1's "you have a 33-66% chance of moving into a forest or hill tile if your unit has <1 move"

I don't know how much this has affected how I play but I know being unable to have workers place roads on tiles like this has made me dislike playing the game a little more. I don't like how you have no control outside of the trader routing choices to build roads. If I knew a spot that would get crowded I would add a lot of side roads so units could go around each other. The biggest part of this was forests and hills also.