Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

At this point I'm considering upgrading to Pro and seeing if that helps, but that's $149 and I'm not at the stage where I'm $149 worth of annoyed yet.

But thanks for all the ideas guys.

Check this out. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/twed-hot-windows-10-pro-oem-9-11cad-2077531/

Apparently is windows pro for :10bux: . I haven't tried (and never heard of TWED) it but it may worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

HalloKitty posted:

You're making me feel old, because to me, Gmail is a pretty new service. I remember when it was invite-only.
Microsoft has been in the online email business far longer...

If you count MSN's days as an AOL clone that shipped with 95, sure. GMail appeared around early 04 I think? The lack of aggressive advertising of NetZero etc and the better spam filtering than many ISPs was a revelation. A little while longer, Microsoft bought Hotmail (it was Bill Gates's birthday and the groveling news stories called it a "birthday gift" repeatedly), but it would be a while before other free email hosts developed up into a competitive product.

I used to roll my eyes at the privacy watchdog-ism that surrounded Google prior to 2008 or so. Of course if law enforcement comes knocking with court orders they'll all cough up data, the real privacy question was whether you trust Google's, uh, to use the old 90s term, "SysOp", with being your mail server instead of your ISP's admins or whoever else. The initial "a robot will scan your email for advertising keywords to appear in this web client and nothing will be saved connected to you personally" approach worked for me then, and all the fearmongerers seemed silly.

Obviously the prism leak proved that even assurances from the companies that own these systems is meaningless if you're trying to hide from the government, but if you're not trying to hide from the government and simply look at what the companies themselves do, Google has behaved better than Microsoft historically and Apple a little better than either of them.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

If you count MSN's days as an AOL clone that shipped with 95, sure. GMail appeared around early 04 I think? The lack of aggressive advertising of NetZero etc and the better spam filtering than many ISPs was a revelation. A little while longer, Microsoft bought Hotmail (it was Bill Gates's birthday and the groveling news stories called it a "birthday gift" repeatedly), but it would be a while before other free email hosts developed up into a competitive product.
Huh? A little while later [sic:longer] after 2004?

Didn't MSFT buy Hotmail in 1998, announcing in on New Years Eve '97.

That what Microsoft's website says.

https://news.microsoft.com/1997/12/31/microsoft-acquires-hotmail/#xIkeqK2czQSof5pm.97

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 15, 2017

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

GMail appeared around early 04 I think?

Earlier than that, I registered my account here via gmail

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The invite-only Beta release on GMail was April 1, 2004.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My first email in my Gmail is from June of '04. Still in the 5 invite stage.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I've had my gmail account since April 2nd of 2004 :smug:

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
What's the best alternative to MS Photo, this progam is kinda annoying.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Simple Simon posted:

What's the best alternative to MS Photo, this progam is kinda annoying.

I use Faststone. It's pretty good.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I currently use xnview at work. Having multiple images in tabs is kinda nice.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Does anyone know if you can still run a fresh install of Windows 10 and use a windows 7 activation key? I never upgraded, but I'm changing mobo/cpu etc now and want to get onto 10, preferable using my old windows 7 ultimate code if possible.

e: I have tried to look it up, but there's conflicting information and most of it several months old - hoping someone has tried recently.

e2: just to be clear, I have read the OP and whatnot, but multiple sources have indicated that even post 07/2016 if you enter a Windows 7 key during the installation it will accept it.

Prawned fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 18, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Generally yes it will work. The offer has supposedly expired, but it doesn't seem to have been turned off, but everybody is hesitant to say whether it will definitely work or not because you never know if it's been quietly turned off since that one time you yourself did it.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Will give it a shot later, otherwise I suppose I can stick with 7 - I've heard there are some problems trying to run the new Kaby Lake processors with 7, that's what kicked this off.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Prawned posted:

Will give it a shot later, otherwise I suppose I can stick with 7 - I've heard there are some problems trying to run the new Kaby Lake processors with 7, that's what kicked this off.

Yeah, you have to use hacks to use Kaby Lake and IIRC non-OEM Skylake on Windows 7.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

Yeah, you have to use hacks to use Kaby Lake and IIRC non-OEM Skylake on Windows 7.

this is absolutely true:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Since the creator's update, whenever I boot up I get a message from settings saying "We need to fix your microsoft account before you can use shared experiences. Select this message to open Settings and fix things." It's a little annoying to see every time I boot up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

Since the creator's update, whenever I boot up I get a message from settings saying "We need to fix your microsoft account before you can use shared experiences. Select this message to open Settings and fix things." It's a little annoying to see every time I boot up.

Maybe try converting your login to a plain local user, and then re-link it to your MS account.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
What is the reason that MS gives for not supporting the processor at all? Would security updates on those systems somehow cause actual hardware or software errors that aren't easy to get around? It doesn't really make sense that it would, but it also doesn't make sense that Intel would withhold device drivers just to appease Microsoft's future plans for Windows.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raldikuk posted:

What is the reason that MS gives for not supporting the processor at all? Would security updates on those systems somehow cause actual hardware or software errors that aren't easy to get around? It doesn't really make sense that it would, but it also doesn't make sense that Intel would withhold device drivers just to appease Microsoft's future plans for Windows.

Because they told everyone years ago they weren't going to support new hardware on 7, as part of preventing Windows 7 becoming entrenched the way XP did. They as a result do not bother to test the updates on the newer hardware, so if it breaks it's not their problem.

You can still edit the various update packages manually to skip the check, or switch to the matching Server release if you can't move forward because of weird software compatibility issues, but both of those things will be shut off on January 14, 2020 when officiall end of life for 7/2008 R2 ends.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I have Windows 10 configured to download updates for "other Microsoft products when I update Windows." Even though Windows Update says I'm up to date (on Office 2016 Professional Plus), I'm still often able to go to an Office program, File, Account, Update Options and Update Now to get further Office updates.

Why isn't Windows Update grabbing these? Is it a staged roll out of updates or something?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have Windows 10 configured to download updates for "other Microsoft products when I update Windows." Even though Windows Update says I'm up to date (on Office 2016 Professional Plus), I'm still often able to go to an Office program, File, Account, Update Options and Update Now to get further Office updates.

Why isn't Windows Update grabbing these? Is it a staged roll out of updates or something?

Many Office 2013 and most* Office 2016 deployments are Click-to-Run (C2R); they handle their updates internally and don't hook into Windows Update.

*Maybe all? I haven't actually done an MUI or ISO install of 2016.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Many Office 2013 and most* Office 2016 deployments are Click-to-Run (C2R); they handle their updates internally and don't hook into Windows Update.

*Maybe all? I haven't actually done an MUI or ISO install of 2016.

VLSC Office 2016 is MSI-based and uses windows update.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Yes, because GMail has been around for a very long time and has had automated scripts, not humans, parse emails for advertising keywords and, while it's at it, product occasional convenience from the metadata (like links if a tracking number is found, the option to make a calendar event out of a flight, whatever.) Human access to other people's GMail has been kept very secure. Microsoft broke into an employee's mail to bust him for leaking tools to assist piracy groups in defeating Windows authentication. And that's just the most relevant of nightmarish account access stories they've had, going back to 15 year olds social engineering their call center people to steal each other's Xbox accounts.

You're aware this is complete nonsense, right? On a basic level MS' mail thingy doesn't upload your mail anywhere so concluding it's less secure than a data-sharing cloud service is really short sighted.
Beyond that, all systems where "scripts" and "algorithms" "read" your mail have a certain amount of mail read by humans in India or somewhere to verify it's accuracy; advertisers wouldn't throw billions at Google if they couldn't provide proof that ads are targeted.

The "bad employee" doing something they shouldn't is possible with Gmail, not possible with the Win10 mail app.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using a VPN I set up via algo for about a month now. Super easy to connect to on my Pixel and my wife's iPhone. The only somewhat screwy OS so far is Windows 10. I found a batch script that will use rasdial to connect to the VPN, and I attached it to the wake power event so when my computer wakes up it connects automatically. It works great on my desktop, but not on my laptop nor my wife's. Any idea how I can fix this on the laptops?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The latest W10 update added a yellow ! to Windows Defender, which directs me to Apps and Browser Control, and it says my device might be vulnerable since it is set to Off instead of Warn or Block under Check Apps and Files. Is this something I should set to Block/Warn or is it something like UAC that mostly just gets in the way?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Node posted:

is it something like UAC that mostly just gets in the way?

Uhhh are you being serious? I just can't tell any more.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Node posted:

The latest W10 update added a yellow ! to Windows Defender, which directs me to Apps and Browser Control, and it says my device might be vulnerable since it is set to Off instead of Warn or Block under Check Apps and Files. Is this something I should set to Block/Warn or is it something like UAC that mostly just gets in the way?

You disabled your antivirus. Of course it's going to warn you.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
After the creators update I was experiencing some program crashes and I think the OS froze once or twice. I did the new Fresh Start re-install option that also came with the creator's update and it seems to have fixed those problems. I mean, I shouldn't have had to do that, but it took all of an hour. 20 minutes to re-install, and the rest to download my missing programs and change the settings that didn't save back the way I like.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Double Punctuation posted:

You disabled your antivirus. Of course it's going to warn you.

No, I didn't, the latest update did. I'll reenable it, thanks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Node posted:

No, I didn't, the latest update did. I'll reenable it, thanks.

What antivirus are you using?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Starting a video on HBO go (post reinstall as documented in this thread) and got a BSOD with some memory something as the error code. When rebooting it tries to repair the install and fails. Of course the restore point I made a point of making can't be found. Guess I'm reinstalling again.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Jenny Agutter posted:

Starting a video on HBO go (post reinstall as documented in this thread) and got a BSOD with some memory something as the error code. When rebooting it tries to repair the install and fails. Of course the restore point I made a point of making can't be found. Guess I'm reinstalling again.

...sounds like you have a bad stick of RAM in there.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

bobfather posted:

...sounds like you have a bad stick of RAM in there.

bad RAM can corrupt your windows install to the point that it can't repair itself or find restore points? I mean I believe it, but I've never seen something like this before.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Jenny Agutter posted:

bad RAM can corrupt your windows install to the point that it can't repair itself or find restore points? I mean I believe it, but I've never seen something like this before.

Sure, why not. I've seen a system with a bad stick boot to desktop and sit at the desktop just fine. Running programs would occasionally crash, and the computer would spontaneously reboot 1-2 times a day. System file checker failed to complete 100% of the time. I ran MemTest and one stick of RAM had 65,000+ errors within a second of the test starting. Pulled that stick and the computer is 100% perfect again.

Alternately you have a failing boot drive, but in the day of SSDs that's getting ever more unlikely.

Edit: put it another way: there is no error or BSOD that can normally occur that Windows should not be able to normally fix. If you ever get an error like that, you either have critical software corruption via a virus, or badly-behaved software that you installed/removed, or you have hardware failure.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 19, 2017

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Alright, looks like doing a windows 10 clean install then entering my windows 7 ultimate activation key worked just fine, says I've activated by digital licence or whatever. I think I'm just gonna stick with an offline account though, this online MS account seems like a huge pain for little benefit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bad RAM is one of the worst issues to have because it's typically not immediately apparent but affects the stability of literally anything your computer is doing after BIOS.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

dont be mean to me posted:

What antivirus are you using?

Just Windows Defender. For some reason, the latest update disabled it. It's on now, everything is gravy. Hopefully not too many Russians hacked their way into my computer while I was vulnerable.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

UAC isn't an "inconvenience" and you shouldn't be turning it off because it breaks a bunch of stuff like file integrity levels virtualstore redirection and protected mode all of which are used by more applications than just IE. It's roughly equivalent (and probably worse) than running everything as SU under linux. Knock it off.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

UAC isn't an "inconvenience" and you shouldn't be turning it off because it breaks a bunch of stuff like file integrity levels virtualstore redirection and protected mode all of which are used by more applications than just IE. It's roughly equivalent (and probably worse) than running everything as SU under linux. Knock it off.

Ever listen to the Andrew Zarian podcast What the Tech? Every once in a while he will come off with someone ludicrous advice like turn off UAC or Desktop Window Manager, or recommend some silly CPU and GPU combo for a general use desktop machine.

Not directly related to the conversation here but it reminded me how much he aggravates my soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Node posted:

Just Windows Defender. For some reason, the latest update disabled it. It's on now, everything is gravy. Hopefully not too many Russians hacked their way into my computer while I was vulnerable.

All AV is a dumpster fire. You shouldn't use it anyways.