Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

First, turn off the stove if you have gas when you add the bourbon otherwise you risk a big flare up. Once you turn it back on, you can kind of tip the pan into the flame to ignite it if you want. It doesn't necessarily have to ignite though to deglaze properly. If it does, when it goes out, the majority of alcohol will have burned off/evaporated. If it doesn't ignite, just look to reduce the volume of liquid added til it's less than half/mostly gone. But no matter what you do, there will still be some alcohol left in the final dish. And taste the sauce. Does it taste boozy? Keep cooking.

Sir Kodiak posted:

To be very explicit as to the answer to the question: no, you should not expect it to set on fire. A recipe which instructs you to deglaze is not telling you to flambe, which generally requires you to explicitly light the alcohol vapors with an open flame. Turning off the burner to be safe when pouring is good advice, and you should always be ready to cope with an accidental fire when cooking (for example, have a lid for the pan ready to smother flames), but don't think that something has gone wrong if you add the bourbon and there's no fire. Just keep simmering the sauce to thicken it, which will also cook off most (but not all) of the alcohol, which you should be able to judge by taste.

Thanks guys! I watched a youtube video that used "deglaze" and "flambe" interchangeably and it was real confusing. I feel a lot better about trying it now.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's a good idea. I'm going to do that. I have a cast iron muffin tin that'll be perfect.

Awesome, report back with how it works out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Elizabethan Error posted:

I think you mean whole WHEAT there bud. 'Whole Grain' being on a label(in the US at least) means the grain was whole. that's it.

Whole wheat is a subset of whole grain, for grain = "wheat".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When I was on a fiber kick I tried steel cut oats because it was in a fancy, shiny can and Quaker Oats is just mush to me. Steel cut oatmeal is the most delicious thing with a pleasantly nutty aftertaste and satisfying bite and it's better + more filling than flat rolled or instant cook.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

First, turn off the stove if you have gas when you add the bourbon otherwise you risk a big flare up. Once you turn it back on, you can kind of tip the pan into the flame to ignite it if you want. It doesn't necessarily have to ignite though to deglaze properly. If it does, when it goes out, the majority of alcohol will have burned off/evaporated. If it doesn't ignite, just look to reduce the volume of liquid added til it's less than half/mostly gone. But no matter what you do, there will still be some alcohol left in the final dish. And taste the sauce. Does it taste boozy? Keep cooking.
Bolding mine. This is not true. Around three-quarters of alcohol will remain after a typical flambé, and you're looking at cook times of around 15 minutes to (on average) drop below 50% of the original alcohol content, over an hour to reach about 25%, two hours to reach about 10%, and so on.

It's actually dependent on everything else that's going on (all else being equal wetter dishes retain more alcohol than drier ones, for example) but in general for pan sauces and that kind of thing you should assume that you're retaining the majority of the alcohol in whatever you're using to deglaze.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How much are you going to add in?

I figure if you don't add enough per serving to get drunk, then who cares? Unless you're making breakfast before work or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

al-azad posted:

When I was on a fiber kick I tried steel cut oats because it was in a fancy, shiny can and Quaker Oats is just mush to me. Steel cut oatmeal is the most delicious thing with a pleasantly nutty aftertaste and satisfying bite and it's better + more filling than flat rolled or instant cook.

They work great as a savory side, too.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Elizabethan Error posted:

I think you mean whole WHEAT there bud. 'Whole Grain' being on a label(in the US at least) means the grain was whole. that's it.

So, I love rye bread. My advice would lead you to prefer a hearty pumpernickel or Danish rugbrød, which uses a less refined dark rye flour and cracked rye that includes more of the bran and germ of the original rye kernel, instead of a light rye, which uses white rye flour that has been sifted to remove the bran and germ.

In the US, there is definitely some label gamesmanship that goes on with brands using refined flour and adding bran or germ later, but it just takes a bit of effort to make sure "whole [whatever] flour" is close to the top of the ingredients list. The idea being that with any milled grain, the less it is processed, the more of the original whole grain it contains.

NPR's Science Friday had a good episode a while back about whole grain that's pretty interesting for anyone into nutrition science and making informed decisions at the grocery store.

Also, steel-cut oats own — they take time to cook, but the texture is worth it, and for oatmeal eaters, store brand steel cut oats are usually the best value by serving — more for less in the same sized package.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steel cut oats are basically the one thing a slow cooker is good for. Overnight oatmeal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Make a big pot of oats and just keep them in the firdge all week. Have a cup every day in the microwave

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Steel cut oats are basically the one thing a slow cooker is good for. Overnight oatmeal.

why though? All that energy to slowly cook oats overnight when they take 10 to 20 mins to do in the morning. All you do is throw milk in and heat it slowly, I usually go do other poo poo like iron my clothes or just chill in the kitchen sipping coffee.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I don't know about Midniter but I'd rather take 5 minutes to set up slowcooking oatmeal the night before than wake up 20 minutes earlier the next morning.

If almost being late for work every day hasn't gotten me to set my alarm earlier then oatmeal isn't gonna do it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Loopoo posted:

why though? All that energy to slowly cook oats overnight when they take 10 to 20 mins to do in the morning. All you do is throw milk in and heat it slowly, I usually go do other poo poo like iron my clothes or just chill in the kitchen sipping coffee.

10-20 min in the morning is a considerable amount of time depending on when you wake up. Like, I'm up at 5:30, 5:10 is significantly more painful.

Edit:
don't get me wrong, though, I'm all on board for Crockpots are loving useless garbage things. svizzle single serve bags of oatmeal and freeze. :getin:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 19, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DasNeonLicht posted:

In the US, there is definitely some label gamesmanship that goes on with brands using refined flour and adding bran or germ later, but it just takes a bit of effort to make sure "whole [whatever] flour" is close to the top of the ingredients list. The idea being that with any milled grain, the less it is processed, the more of the original whole grain it contains.

Usually you'll see 100% whole grain for a non-sifted 100% extraction, whole grain has all 3 parts, and whole wheat can be anything wheat i.e. bread flour but usually has some endosperm and bran put back in.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

My rice cooker has a timer and does a pretty good job with steel cut oats. Just pour everything in the night before and wake up it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

10-20 min in the morning is a considerable amount of time depending on when you wake up. Like, I'm up at 5:30, 5:10 is significantly more painful.

Edit:
don't get me wrong, though, I'm all on board for Crockpots are loving useless garbage things. svizzle single serve bags of oatmeal and freeze. :getin:

I do beans in my crockpot once a week at least. They're good for some things.

Though I do keep meaning to buy a joule.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I think replacing 3 devices (crock pot, pressure cooker and rice cooker) with a single Instant Pot wouldn't be a terrible decision for a lot of home cooks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's a good thing to do with the grease that comes off a chicken when you bake it?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's a good thing to do with the grease that comes off a chicken when you bake it?

Toss root veggies in it with a little salt and pepper and roast. Schmaltz is great.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Use it as the fat in a roux with flour to thicken the gravy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

caramelize a shitton of sliced shallots in it and mix into mazemen or top ramen/udon/etc. This just makes it into a caramelized shallot oil sorta thing that goes well on a lot of different things.
aforementioned roast veg lubricant
savory pie crust or biscuits or dumplings.
soup/gravy roux.

Just use it like any other fat where you want extra chickenyness.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Become a Jewish grandmother and use it in everything.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

save it over and over again and fry fries in it.

yeah, it owns.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Eeyo posted:

How much are you going to add in?

I figure if you don't add enough per serving to get drunk, then who cares? Unless you're making breakfast before work or something.

The recipe calls for 2-4 shots, and specifically mentions to cook off all the alcohol. I'm doing to chili recipe on page 53 of the chili thread, posted by BBQ Dave (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=53).

It's been a learning experience! I've never made my own beef stock before, or my own chili powder...now I'm going to deglaze with bourbon for the first time. It's been fun! Any other cooking newbies out there, don't be afraid to go outside your comfort zone, it is really rewarding (and I haven't even made the chili yet).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The recipe calls for 2-4 shots, and specifically mentions to cook off all the alcohol.

I think that's a bit of a joke. Nobody is going to get tipsy off of 4 shots spread across 12 lbs of meat. If you're going to be serving someone with an allergy to alcohol, or a religious objection to consuming it, or something like that, then don't use it to deglaze because you won't practically be able to cook off all of it. In that case, even water will work to deglaze. Otherwise, just deglaze, scrape up the brown bits, and get on with the cooking.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That recipe has no idea alcohol doesn't actually fully cook off. What they mean is pour the booze in and cook it vigorously until it stops bubbling then continue on.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hmm, ok thanks guys. I'll just give it some time in the pan and make sure it doesn't taste too strong before I quit.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The alcohol will boil really rapidly, when that stops you can move on.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know there are sweet sauce-based shells for desserts, particularly chocolate coating. Are there also savory sauce-based shells?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What a neat question. Does it have to be room-temp when applied and solidify in contact with the food? I think that's going to be hard since you don't get as many savory dishes that are frozen.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I know there are sweet sauce-based shells for desserts, particularly chocolate coating. Are there also savory sauce-based shells?

Aspic, not hard like chocolate, but still encompassing of a thing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I were to get an Instant Pot, could I do chicken curries in it and stuff? And would it make my lamb curries have incredibly tender lamb in half the time it'd take if I was cooking it conventionally?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

What a neat question. Does it have to be room-temp when applied and solidify in contact with the food? I think that's going to be hard since you don't get as many savory dishes that are frozen.

For this mind exercise it could be applied hot, room-temp, or cold. Even as a sort of fondant.

fake edit: it looks like you can use Velveeta as a sort of fondant, but it didn't surround the cheese ball "cake"

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just mix coconut oil into whatever you're trying to do this with that's all magic shell is anyways chocolate and coconut oil.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Right, but coconut oil solidifies below room temp, so it only works on cold dishes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I am making dirty rice this afternoon.
I do not have chicken liver, which I've liked adding to it in the past. However,I do not want to buy a big ol' tub of them at the store for the amount I'd need. I do have unsmoked liver sausage (Braunschweiger essentially).

I'm assuming this would be 'ok' to sub in sparingly? Or better left out? Obviously I'm not shooting for 'World's most authentic Dirty Rice' here, just looking to get a bit of that flavor without ruining this in some unexpected way.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Big Beef City posted:

I am making dirty rice this afternoon.
I do not have chicken liver, which I've liked adding to it in the past. However,I do not want to buy a big ol' tub of them at the store for the amount I'd need. I do have unsmoked liver sausage (Braunschweiger essentially).

I'm assuming this would be 'ok' to sub in sparingly? Or better left out? Obviously I'm not shooting for 'World's most authentic Dirty Rice' here, just looking to get a bit of that flavor without ruining this in some unexpected way.

Hell yeah, do it. Dirty rice strikes me as being one of those subsistence foods designed to use stuff that wouldn't be used otherwise (chicken livers); making a substitution based on what you have on hand seems to be completely within the spirit of the dish.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I eat chicken livers straight up. Just dust them with a little flower and fry them in butter. They're great.

Also a good hors d'oeuvre when you wrap them in bacon before trying.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the ideas.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I looked around a bit but I'm not seeing anything on this and I'm too lazy to search more.
I like seriouseats.com for food/recipe blogging stuff. Nom nom paleo is pretty good too, though I'm not a subscriber to the paleo diet by any means.

What other good sites are out there I should add to the reading list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I looked around a bit but I'm not seeing anything on this and I'm too lazy to search more.
I like seriouseats.com for food/recipe blogging stuff. Nom nom paleo is pretty good too, though I'm not a subscriber to the paleo diet by any means.

Tasty jk don't do that.

What other good sites are out there I should add to the reading list?

woksoflife http://thewoksoflife.com/

David Lebovitz http://www.davidlebovitz.com/

Ruhlman http://ruhlman.com/

Migrationology https://migrationology.com/

from belly to bacon drat I can't find this one anymore :( It was a totally killer charcuterie one.

Foodwishes

to name a few.

A few youtube channels I follow, some have blogs, too:

http://www.ramenadventures.com/

elaine zluo, angel wong, saveur, bruno albouze, mario batali, lynn chen, eater, chefsteps, lucky peach tv, cooking with dog :cry:, maangchi, dumpling sisters, taiwan cooking, cici li, vahrehvah, hilah cooking (semi retired), mama cheung, pailin's kitchen, import food, helen's recipes, panlasang pinoy, xiao's kitchen

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 20, 2017