Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Looking forward to the plucky underdog Cubs trying to steal one from the Mighty, First Place Brewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Berrios puts up 11Ks, allows 2H, 1BB in 7 2/3 IP.

Maquina! :mitt:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

Looking forward to the plucky underdog Cubs trying to steal one from the Mighty, First Place Brewer

Hahahah there's no way we're in-

*looks*

:shepface:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Zeeman posted:

News: Marcus Stroman just hit a home run

Views: https://twitter.com/BringerOfRain20/status/865376520751153154

Owns

iospace posted:

*looks*

Also owns

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/865383511867490306

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wonder who the NL catcher/pitcher duo was

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I wonder who the NL catcher/pitcher duo was

e: Oops that's not interleague, nevermind.

Or back to back. I read that tweet completely wrong. Yeah that's gotta be pretty rare in any game.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 19, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Look at all these AL fans experiencing the joy of a pitcher dong. It's cute.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we came so close to a jon "literally the worst hitter in the history of baseball, also not a lot of people know this joe but he can't throw to first" lester dinger today

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 19, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

Psssh, we're used to getting production from every spot in the order regularly instead of random...

*looks at Royals roster*

Yeah might as well let pitchers hit.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
*to the tune of Complicated by Avril Lavigne*
"Why'd you have to go and just call someone a human being?"

Pillar is stupid for saying that and deserves his suspension. I hope he is actually remorseful and maybe does some extra charity work for a LGBT organization in the off season or something.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

The Fappening was awhile back now already dude

Grittybeard posted:

e: Oops that's not interleague, nevermind.

Or back to back. I read that tweet completely wrong. Yeah that's gotta be pretty rare in any game.

I want to say Posey/MadBum is the most likely suspect except I doubt they ever batted back to back

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Pitcher dongs are the best.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I want to say Posey/MadBum is the most likely suspect except I doubt they ever batted back to back

Yeah they never did it, that was the battery I was looking at. They both hit home runs in the same game once but not back to back and not in interleague play.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Pillar is stupid for saying that and deserves his suspension. I hope he is actually remorseful and maybe does some extra charity work for a LGBT organization in the off season or something.

I don't think he should have been suspended. If you don't have a history of doing lovely things, pay a fine, do some charity work, and do a PSA for your first offense. Do it again and you're fined AND out for two games. Third offense, you get the fine, suspension, and the opposing catcher gets to sock you in the gut before your first plate appearance.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Craptacular! posted:

While talking about whether homophobia is normalized in locker rooms, etc, remember that's just on the coasts. Go further toward the middle and it gets even weirder.

Until he was given enough money to play in San Francisco that he couldn't say no, Jeremy Affeldt used to hide in his hotel visiting the city on road trips because he was afraid he would be singled out and corrupted by random acts of gay that could be happening on the street.

You don't have to look in traditional shithead hideouts to find homophobia in the midwest. My wife and I have been called the f-word and the d-word and had random men on the street offer to "gently caress the gay out of us" in supposedly liberal cities like Madison. It's everywhere, going into a macho safespace just intensifies it.

BasicFunk posted:

I don't think he should have been suspended. If you don't have a history of doing lovely things, pay a fine, do some charity work, and do a PSA for your first offense. Do it again and you're fined AND out for two games. Third offense, you get the fine, suspension, and the opposing catcher gets to sock you in the gut before your first plate appearance.

I think the point is that throwing around slurs is such basic "be a decent person" thing that there really is no excuse for leniency. Like someone else said earlier, if you had your worst day at work ever and shouted a word like that on your way to the break room you'd be on the fast track to fired-for-cause city. It's already an intense amount of privilege that a baseball player can do that in a stadium of 40k people broadcast into millions of homes and essentially get a 3 day vacation as punishment. A suspension doesn't even come close to being "harsh".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

See this is the beauty of it though, we get to see Stroman homer but don't have to sit through him striking out looking the other 95% of the time!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

See this is the beauty of it though, we get to see Stroman homer but don't have to sit through him striking out looking the other 95% of the time!

bad pitcher at bats are a worthy price to pay for pitcher dingers. the average quality of DHs has been declining anyway since managers just use it as a spot to stash oldsters who still have some power or guys who are hurt but can still hit. I suck at using BBRef and the like but DH BA over the last couple seasons has been around .240-.250. That's fuckin' dire for someone whose only job is to hit baseballs and literally do nothing else. at least with pitchers they are good at something else and then when something funny happens in their at bats it's really satisfying.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Popete posted:

I don't really pay attention to the AL. It isn't real baseball.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I just like seeing Stroman do it because he's like a little kid with his enthusiasm..

Can I bump my request for a PM with the password for the "SAS Goons" beat the streak group? Last one got buried in the steroid/homophobia chat

I tried some variations of eckstein passwords to no avail

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't really pay attention to the AL. It isn't real baseball.

this is your first good baseball post ever. im so proud of you.

Apr 7, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

bad pitcher at bats are a worthy price to pay for pitcher dingers. the average quality of DHs has been declining anyway since managers just use it as a spot to stash oldsters who still have some power or guys who are hurt but can still hit. I suck at using BBRef and the like but DH BA over the last couple seasons has been around .240-.250. That's fuckin' dire for someone whose only job is to hit baseballs and literally do nothing else. at least with pitchers they are good at something else and then when something funny happens in their at bats it's really satisfying.

The fact of the matter is that the DH was a gimmick to get people into what is now known as O.co Coliseum. Somehow this gimmick, which removes any sort of strategy involved in managing a 25 man roster, has become dominant in baseball outside of the NL or that one league in NPB.

Someone once told me, "I don't want to watch pitchers hit." Well, if I had my way, I'd like to watch strippers take their clothes off and simulate loving every base during the seventh inning stretch. I don't get to see that because that isn't baseball. Neither is the DH.

Apr 7, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

this is your first good baseball post ever. im so proud of you.

I've been making good baseball posts for years, as posterity has proven.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Psssh, we're used to getting production from every spot in the order regularly instead of random...

*looks at Royals roster*

gently caress YEAH
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v1204440183/hughes-and-coomer-call-travis-woods-home-run

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

iospace posted:

*looks*

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

8-2 in our last 10 while missing some combination of Braun, Thames, and Shaw :eyepop:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

8-2 in our last 10 while missing some combination of Braun, Thames, and Shaw :eyepop:

Depth and handsomeness will take you far in base ball.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Seriously, I am gay but Eric sogard is really hot to me for some reason. He seems like he wouldn't tune out when I talk about my dreams.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Grittybeard posted:

*looks at Royals roster*

The Royals are so bad that to get my joy out of being a baseball fan I have to look for obscure poo poo instead of watching my team win games. Anyway, tonight's weird Royals things is the fact that according to hittracker the two longest homeruns of the season belong to Royals. Because of course they do.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

Seriously, I am gay but Eric sogard is really hot to me for some reason. He seems like he wouldn't tune out when I talk about my dreams.

Korea disagrees with you according to mlb

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

cis autodrag posted:

You don't have to look in traditional shithead hideouts to find homophobia in the midwest. My wife and I have been called the f-word and the d-word and had random men on the street offer to "gently caress the gay out of us" in supposedly liberal cities like Madison. It's everywhere, going into a macho safespace just intensifies it.

I think the point is that throwing around slurs is such basic "be a decent person" thing that there really is no excuse for leniency. Like someone else said earlier, if you had your worst day at work ever and shouted a word like that on your way to the break room you'd be on the fast track to fired-for-cause city. It's already an intense amount of privilege that a baseball player can do that in a stadium of 40k people broadcast into millions of homes and essentially get a 3 day vacation as punishment. A suspension doesn't even come close to being "harsh".

Maybe an average joe losing his lovely accounting job for one slur is also a bad thing?

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

His apology today seemed pretty legit. I was way,way more offended by a guy like torri hunter who said calmly during an interview he didnt want gay teammates. This is multitudes less offensive (to me) then that.

Take a look at Pillars apology today and his body language and come to your own conclusions. I see a guy being honest, embarrassed and owning up to his mistakes. He admits to what he said and understands exactly why it was so wrong and inappropriate in the game.He even talks about why he is okay with being suspsened to be an example to the other players this won't be tolerated.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/pillar-embarrassed-willing-made-example/

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 19, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Intruder posted:

Korea disagrees with you according to mlb

different Eric

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The Rangers are never going to lose again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

different Eric

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/02/28/as-fans-claim-conspiracy-as-sogard-narrowly-misses-face-of-mlb-title/

For some reason I remember there being a suspicious influx of votes from Korea at the last second but the story doesn't mention that at all so :shrug:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cis autodrag posted:

Eric Sogard is like a hot version of Tyler Clippard (who I'm already pretty fond of tbh) , and he got yelled at by Matt Garza on Twitter which means he's probably a decent human being.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/02/28/as-fans-claim-conspiracy-as-sogard-narrowly-misses-face-of-mlb-title/

For some reason I remember there being a suspicious influx of votes from Korea at the last second but the story doesn't mention that at all so :shrug:

You remember right. No shock that mlb covers it up though.

Apr 7, 2003

patonthebach posted:

Maybe an average joe losing his lovely accounting job for one slur is also a bad thing?

Lol no

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

if it wasn't directly targeting someone I would argue that it's an opportunity for a teaching moment, not a chance to fire someone. but yes it should be a big deal and taken seriously.

edit: also let's have some consistency, pillars' action was not the equivalent of standing up in a crowded quiet office and screaming 'human being' it's more like an under the breath thing that came out louder than intended. this is not intended to minimize his action.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 19, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

A second good post has hit the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
So apparently Facebook will now livestream one MLB games every Friday with no blackout rules starting today:

http://ble.ac/2pXWMib

Rockies Reds is today's game

Phone postin' or I'd copy the article.

• Locked thread