Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

What the gently caress is with the big wheel thing I keep seeing on Harleys in the local CL ads? poo poo's retarded

https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/6124771004.html

A larger diameter front tire allows a motorcycle to hit obstacles head on and go over them more easily. For example, think about hitting a six inch high curb with two different wheels. One has a diameter of two inches, the other of thirty inches. The two inch wheel will slam into the curb and you'll go straight over the bars. But with the thirty inch wheel, the curb is going to be well below the midpoint of the wheel and so it will roll right over it. These large wheels are an obvious shout to the extreme enduro roots of the harley brand from back in the 30s when all genuine stamped harley motorcycle parts where cast from pure erzberg iron. Thank you and I hope this was helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

A larger diameter front tire allows a motorcycle to hit obstacles head on and go over them more easily. For example, think about hitting a six inch high curb with two different wheels. One has a diameter of two inches, the other of thirty inches. The two inch wheel will slam into the curb and you'll go straight over the bars. But with the thirty inch wheel, the curb is going to be well below the midpoint of the wheel and so it will roll right over it. These large wheels are an obvious shout to the extreme enduro roots of the harley brand from back in the 30s when all genuine stamped harley motorcycle parts where cast from pure erzberg iron. Thank you and I hope this was helpful.

You're not signed in to your Quora "internship" right now, that doesn't count toward your hours, sorry

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

This reads like my essay about "The New Guy" being a brilliant modern take on "The Count of Monte Christo". :golfclap:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Yeah if the valves are causing the engine not to turn over it's because they're hitting the pistons.

Dog Case posted:

It's on craigslist so "Valves need adjusting" and "Bike isn't turning over." probably means "The engine ate the valves and is all seized up/so full of valve shrapnel that it won't turn"

It was starting, just with a bit of effort. I didn't get to check it out unforunately, someone sniped it a few hours before I could get to it.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 15, 2017

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

What the gently caress is with the big wheel thing I keep seeing on Harleys in the local CL ads? poo poo's retarded

https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/6124771004.html

Suits the mental age of the rider, I suppose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmeTGgLRVHY

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Want a stretched busa with clowns airbrushed all over it? Of course you do!

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/6134498547.html

:suicide:

edit: woops sorry, airbrushed on one side lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Ugh. The wine candy paint on the non-airbrushed side is pretty, too. Fixing that stupid swingarm and 360 section rear tire wouldn't be too bad, but that paint. :barf:

edit:

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 19, 2017

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
That's not how titties look yo

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can honestly say I've never wanted anything less. I wouldn't take that bike if it was free, and I hadn't ridden in a year. You'd have to burn the fairings. You couldn't just paint over them.

edit: I love the "no fords" clause. They have standards, you see.

tjones
May 13, 2005
That bike is amazing and even more so that they ran out of money on the paint or changed their mind after half of it was complete.

I guess it's possible that was their intention all along but I prefer my assumption more.

tjones fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 19, 2017

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

When they visit their mother they park with the no-clown side to the house.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pun pundit posted:

When they visit their mother they park with the no-clown side to the house.

She wouldn't be able to see the parking lot from the inside of the visitation room probably.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that a Juggalo Titty Ho?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I believe the term is "juggalette"?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

RadioPassive posted:

I believe the term is "juggalotte"?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I have a personal rule not to buy anything older than I am but I almost want to make an exception:

https://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/6117105212.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's gonna make a great cafe racer!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
NO, do not cafe out vintage bikes that are already in good shape. Cafe something that's already got major cosmetic issues but runs well.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My friend had a cb750 with an exhaust, it sounded really cool but was only moderately peppier than an ex250

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
90's paint jobs are the best.

https://rockford.craigslist.org/mcy/6148212654.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/6168221853.html

Bad idea, or worst idea?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Excellent idea.A couple of things:

1. Make sure the FI light doesn't stay on when started. For that matter, ask if it has a Dynajet FI PGM on it. Most slip-ons don't need them. I reccomend to get the full Akopovic system. It's way lighter.
2. Check 2nd gear to make sure it doesn't pop out at WOT. If it does, walk or get ready to split cases.
3. Make sure the front radiator isn't weeping. As these bikes age it happens, especially if it's been driven through a lot of rougher conditions.
4. Some of the early models's fuel pressure regulators tend to get chewed up by ethanol or lovely gas. If the bike runs pig rich and the FI light is on, it needs replacement.

I own a 2002, and it's been one of my more favorite bikes ever. The bonus for the FI models is the ram air works really well - these bikes tend to be bit faster on the top end than you would think.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 14, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Factor in the cost of getting a speeding ticket or two on the way home. Otherwise ENJOY!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

That seems really expensive.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

A MIRACLE posted:

That's gonna make a great cafe racer!

I don't get people who cafe' I4s - the whole point was to add lightness to a twin to make it faster. Old school I4s are cool as poo poo, don't hack them up. There are plenty of CM400s and KZ400s out there to molest that nobody will miss, the CB cafe' crowd has ignored them for the most part except as parts donors in the case of the CM.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Why is it nearly every Grom ad I come across on CL lists the bike for MSRP or even higher? e.g. https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6170347072.html

"I'm $4200 into this bike after taxes and fees, looking to get $4200 or as near as possible"

In Ohio you pay sales tax on a vehicle when you title it, so whoever bought that would have to pay MORE tax on it than buying new, not to mention covering the original buyer on dealer fees, etc. This is dumber than the SV with original tires listed for $5K.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've seen quite a few in Chicago for reasonable prices. I think Groms are like the FZ bikes and like SVs used to be. People bought a shitload of them, so the prices are going to be all bell-curvey in large markets. Well, there will probably be a lot more high prices than low ones, but that's because people are dumb.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Reminds me of looking at used Ninja 250s/300s that were listed at more than MSRP, but I guess you're saving dealer and destination fees? I'm also unclear why you'd buy a bike, mod it, then ride it 4 miles. The test ride alone should have been more than 4 miles (although if Honda is smart they don't get grom test rides because it seems like it's an idiot magnet).

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That's one of the things that bothers me a lot for some reason: here's a bike I'm selling with a scroll-length list of mods. $X thousands "invested" after the initial ill-advised financing. 42 miles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those are the same people who are on reddit every week asking "is motorcycling for me?", always with poo poo like "I bought this Daytona and all this racing gear and all these sick mods and stuff, but I don't know, I feel like it should be better, I just don't feel the way that you guys talk about? Am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to be motorcycling?"

and they can't accept that maybe they just don't like it, because they want to be the cool guy with a motorcycle and that's the extent of their interest.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Those are the same people who are on reddit every week asking "is motorcycling for me?", always with poo poo like "I bought this Daytona and all this racing gear and all these sick mods and stuff, but I don't know, I feel like it should be better, I just don't feel the way that you guys talk about? Am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to be motorcycling?"

and they can't accept that maybe they just don't like it, because they want to be the cool guy with a motorcycle and that's the extent of their interest.

Little do they know, no one that really loves motorcycling is actually cool.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Maybe those guys are in their driveways every other evening, blasting nu-metal and smoking, trying to catch the eye of a local soccer mom with a wrench in their greasy hand, cocking an eyebrow at their bike. Maybe they're happy and get enjoyment out of switching out parts. They're creating a sculpture. They're optimizing this mechanical thing that they don't enjoy riding. But they do enjoy working with their hands. They want to fix something but nothing's broken.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Chichevache posted:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

pretty much

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
No-gear scrub riding sidesaddle on a dirtbike, what does he know?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

no one that really loves motorcycling is actually cool.

New mouseover text please

*catches flicked cigarette butt inside helmet*

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
How bad of an idea is this?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/6187789537.html

I mean, $1000 for a ~Ducati~ would be fun, but how much of a shitstain would this be to fix?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've never worked on a Ducati but eh, for a thousand bucks...if the engine turns over why not.

Bring a good battery and try to bump-start the bike. If you can get it fired up that way and it runs okay, that's probably a decent deal. If it's seized, forget it.

e: I don't know what "the flywheel may be loose" means but that sounds like bottom-end damage to me, which would be a walk-away situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

I've never worked on a Ducati but eh, for a thousand bucks...if the engine turns over why not.

Bring a good battery and try to bump-start the bike. If you can get it fired up that way and it runs okay, that's probably a decent deal. If it's seized, forget it.

e: I don't know what "the flywheel may be loose" means but that sounds like bottom-end damage to me, which would be a walk-away situation.

Some Ducatis have an issue with the flywheel bolt coming loose no mater what you do.