Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

True, but Chrono Trigger did a much better job.
The weirdest video game experience like that for me was the first Dead Space; the protagonist never speaks and you have very little agency in the game so somehow my brain constructed this entire working class world weary cynic personality for him and was shocked when the sequels came along that I had been playing him 'wrong' the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Really the thing that depresses me about Twilight is that Bella is so loving passive. Like I'm fine with books that exist as trash fantasies, whatever, that's cool, but if the most you can expect out if your wish fulfillment stories is to be fought over by some cute boys while you stand around and do nothing, and then literally disregard your life when the one you like best isn't around any more, that's incredibly sad to me.

My (Mormon) Grandma got me the books so I read them, and that was really my prevailing emotion. Just sadness that this was the best fantasy Meyer could come up with for herself

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

someone awful. posted:

Really the thing that depresses me about Twilight is that Bella is so loving passive. Like I'm fine with books that exist as trash fantasies, whatever, that's cool, but if the most you can expect out if your wish fulfillment stories is to be fought over by some cute boys while you stand around and do nothing, and then literally disregard your life when the one you like best isn't around any more, that's incredibly sad to me.

My (Mormon) Grandma got me the books so I read them, and that was really my prevailing emotion. Just sadness that this was the best fantasy Meyer could come up with for herself

I've never read the book, but based purely on watching the (RiffTraxed) film version, I kind of feel like the passivity is a big part of the wish-fulfillment -- the concept that you don't have to try to be popular and loved, it just happens, even if you have no actual positive qualities. Even beyond the romance, Twilight is about a girl who moves to a new school and town and is instantly accepted and beloved by everyone around her despite her being a petulant, silent little poo poo who does nothing whatsoever to deserve the positive attention she's getting; even Edward's attention is based on her smell, nothing she actually does or tries to do. It makes for a lame character and a lamer narrative, but I can see how the concept of being adored strictly for your innate existence, without effort, would be an attractive fantasy to tween/teen girls being fed a line of "this is all the stuff you have to do for people to like you and a boy to notice you, and these are all the things you absolutely have to not do, and if you step a toe out of line nobody will ever love you." As someone who's had issues with social insecurity in the past, and who certainly did as a teen, I can see the appeal of a fantasy of "imagine yourself as your worst self, passive and petulant, but everyone still loves you."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Antivehicular posted:

I've never read the book, but based purely on watching the (RiffTraxed) film version, I kind of feel like the passivity is a big part of the wish-fulfillment -- the concept that you don't have to try to be popular and loved, it just happens, even if you have no actual positive qualities. Even beyond the romance, Twilight is about a girl who moves to a new school and town and is instantly accepted and beloved by everyone around her despite her being a petulant, silent little poo poo who does nothing whatsoever to deserve the positive attention she's getting; even Edward's attention is based on her smell, nothing she actually does or tries to do. It makes for a lame character and a lamer narrative, but I can see how the concept of being adored strictly for your innate existence, without effort, would be an attractive fantasy to tween/teen girls being fed a line of "this is all the stuff you have to do for people to like you and a boy to notice you, and these are all the things you absolutely have to not do, and if you step a toe out of line nobody will ever love you." As someone who's had issues with social insecurity in the past, and who certainly did as a teen, I can see the appeal of a fantasy of "imagine yourself as your worst self, passive and petulant, but everyone still loves you."

someone awful. posted:

10000000000% agree with these posts!

IIRC the author tried to defend this by saying that the same thing happened to her when she started college- suddenly she was the New Hotness and everyone wanted to be her friend. That simply does not happen. I get that one might think that the new girl at a high school in a small town would be super-popular just for the novelty, but as a kid who went to a tiny high school in a small town, I can tell you that "Oh, where did you come from? Really? Okay, well, nice to meet you" was the most involved reaction anyone ever had to a new kid.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hat-based divine translation not impressive enough?

Speaking of bad books, The Book of Mormon contains the sentence "like a river of water." :downs: I read it once and and can never forget that ourobouros of a metaphor.

It's so people don't get confused with the river of slime from Ghostbusters 2.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Antivehicular posted:

I've never read the book, but based purely on watching the (RiffTraxed) film version, I kind of feel like the passivity is a big part of the wish-fulfillment -- the concept that you don't have to try to be popular and loved, it just happens, even if you have no actual positive qualities.
That's really common to a lot of YA stories (and other genres). Something happens to the protagonist, putting them at the centre of the story and making them important, without them having to take any kind of initiative. You could be a hero (or go on an adventure or be adored or whatever) and you don't need to do a thing, it'll just happen!

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Pick posted:

Light novels are another level of absolutely abominable wannabe literature.

So what exactly is a light novel? Is that just what they call the YA genre in Japan or is there more to it than that?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Silvergun1000 posted:

So what exactly is a light novel? Is that just what they call the YA genre in Japan or is there more to it than that?

They're mostly wish-fulfilment books with manga pics here and there.

EDIT: If I may quote myself from earlier in the thread, they're similar to web novels in that:

CommissarMega posted:

there's a general trend where a bland highschool protagonist goes into a fantasy world inhabited by hot chicks with big boobs, who all fall in love with him once said protagonist somehow turns into a combination of Alexander the Great and Superman. Also everyone has and knows their RPG stats for some reason.

CommissarMega has a new favorite as of 11:57 on May 11, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Silvergun1000 posted:

Split the difference between a YA novel and a comic book.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

From Maestra by L.S. Hilton, widely hyped as starring a female version of Tom Ripley, art heists, and lashings of violence and sex. Technically it delivers on the last 3, but anyone hoping for Thomasina Ripley Under Ground will be disappointed. I was glad I stingily borrowed a copy rather than paid for one, as it was just too badly written to finish, and featured more product placement than Tomorrow Never Dies.

It has a sequel, Domina, which inspired this corking John Crace review:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/02/domina-l-s-hilton-digested-read-erotic-thriller

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Split the difference between a YA novel and a comic book.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. They're YA novels with illustrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carnival of Shrews posted:

From Maestra by L.S. Hilton, widely hyped as starring a female version of Tom Ripley, art heists, and lashings of violence and sex. Technically it delivers on the last 3, but anyone hoping for Thomasina Ripley Under Ground will be disappointed. I was glad I stingily borrowed a copy rather than paid for one, as it was just too badly written to finish, and featured more product placement than Tomorrow Never Dies.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/02/domina-l-s-hilton-digested-read-erotic-thriller

I knew that girls fart flowers, but not that they poop oysters

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I legit gagged.

why would you do thisssssss

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Carnival of Shrews posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq9ur6RrfTg

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The Scifi/Fantasy thread recently got introduced to the world of "LitRPG," which is basically "man plays MMO: the novelization."

StonecutterJoe posted:

There are two definitions of litRPG. One refers to any fantasy or sci-fi story set in an RPG world like Ready Player One. The other definition refers to a very specific subgenre of books written by and for...a very specific kind of person and mindset, where you are treated to endless descriptions of stat blocks, modifiers, combat rolls, and the main character's inventory management. I wish I was making that poo poo up. I tried reading one of the most recommended litRPG novels, and it was literally three hundred pages of "I swung at the wolf and hit, doing nine thousand points of damage. I searched its corpse and found 3 wolf bones, 2 wolf sinews, and 1 wolf pelt. That was good because I needed 4 more wolf sinews to upgrade my bow. I saw that my harvesting skill had increased by one point. Now it was at 28 points. I approached the next wolf." Yes, there is a market for this. No, I don't know why.

Robot Wendigo posted:

My tentative dip into the LitRPG world was Way of The Shaman: Survival Quest by V. Mahanenko. The protagonist gets screwed over by a girl--because you know girls are bad-- and is imprisoned in a VR world where he has to mine ore. A thrilling open like that bled down into paragraphs about leveling up skills and trying to earn gold by killing rats. I haven't looked myself, but I've heard some readers send emails debating skill points and other points of math. I'm assuming they use multiple exclamation points.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just read a litRPG fight scene that was a series of statistical information

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Scifi/Fantasy thread recently got introduced to the world of "LitRPG," which is basically "man plays MMO: the novelization."

Facing down the goblin army, Paladin TrueHeart sweats and gets on his knees to pray. "O Godlord, grant me the ability to fight this battle in your honor!"

Palladium, the God of Paladins, looks over the hard edge of the skies with a smirk in his unibrowed eyes. TrueHeart sighs as he rises and puts all his energy into the mental state needed to win. A ghostly fist in the skies does a shaking motion and opens, cubic clouds moving hither and thither.

TrueHeart shakes his fist slowly, maintaining eye contact with Palladium, before opening his hand in the common prayer movement. A shrill voice giggles from the heavens: "ONE!" it intones, "Your arm is broken!"

In disbelief TrueHeart looks upon his arm as it shudders and cracks. "You're the worst!" he cries out in pain to his uncaring God.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

C.M. Kruger posted:

Ulililia is going to be pissed when he finds out someone else is making money off this

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Powaqoatse posted:

Facing down the goblin army, Paladin TrueHeart sweats and gets on his knees to pray. "O Godlord, grant me the ability to fight this battle in your honor!"

Palladium, the God of Paladins, looks over the hard edge of the skies with a smirk in his unibrowed eyes. TrueHeart sighs as he rises and puts all his energy into the mental state needed to win. A ghostly fist in the skies does a shaking motion and opens, cubic clouds moving hither and thither.

TrueHeart shakes his fist slowly, maintaining eye contact with Palladium, before opening his hand in the common prayer movement. A shrill voice giggles from the heavens: "ONE!" it intones, "Your arm is broken!"

In disbelief TrueHeart looks upon his arm as it shudders and cracks. "You're the worst!" he cries out in pain to his uncaring God.

Hahahah.
Do you co-write that Goblins comic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

IIRC the author tried to defend this by saying that the same thing happened to her when she started college- suddenly she was the New Hotness and everyone wanted to be her friend. That simply does not happen. I get that one might think that the new girl at a high school in a small town would be super-popular just for the novelty, but as a kid who went to a tiny high school in a small town, I can tell you that "Oh, where did you come from? Really? Okay, well, nice to meet you" was the most involved reaction anyone ever had to a new kid.

It's not her fault everyone who went to your school was ugly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Drunken Baker posted:

Hahahah.
Do you co-write that Goblins comic.

yeah and also i was super popular in high school despite being a nerdy outcast previously

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Maybe this is what that TVTropes would-be novelist was thinking about when he wrote a story about a hero who had overcome all the obstacles standing in the way of the villain. The author thought he should spend the next chapter having the hero go back and grind for a while to get some more healing potions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the "pages of blank paper" thing brought up as Meyer's lazy writing, a similar trick was used in A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Ersatz Elevator. At the end of one chapter, the Baudelaires are thrown down a large elevator shaft, and the entire next page is just a black page, then moving on to the next chapter in which the Baudelaires figure a way out. I thought that that was fairly clever, implying a long period of black nothingness as the children are falling down this large shaft.

Spoiled because some people may be waiting for the netflix series to reach that story.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

swamp waste posted:

Ulililia is going to be pissed when he finds out someone else is making money off this

His book, The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters, is the first thing I thought of after reading the description of "LitRPG". What a strange, spergy book. It's basically autism/ocd.txt.

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-10-Elemental-Masters/dp/0615348130

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

His book, The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters, is the first thing I thought of after reading the description of "LitRPG". What a strange, spergy book. It's basically autism/ocd.txt.

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-10-Elemental-Masters/dp/0615348130

It's also really bad and not in a good way. Yes I bought a copy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I read it. It is disappointingly bland. Not even bad in an amusing way, just bad in a boring way. There's no humorous product placement or references to chicken, it's just a badly written romance novel where the love interest is named Harland Sanders (and I guess the way he's described is sort of like Col. Sanders). Also, the author's attempt to sound like a 19th century English person is utterly abysmal.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

I read it. It is disappointingly bland. Not even bad in an amusing way, just bad in a boring way. There's no humorous product placement or references to chicken, it's just a badly written romance novel where the love interest is named Harland Sanders (and I guess the way he's described is sort of like Col. Sanders). Also, the author's attempt to sound like a 19th century English person is utterly abysmal.

Any Colonel Sanders cameo in an exploitation flick would be better, sounds like.

(he did those, all the time, seriously)

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tiggum posted:

I read it. It is disappointingly bland.

Sounds accurate to me.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

I work in a used bookstore. There are so so many bad books, espicially because there is a spirituality/new age section.

And a crate full of fantasy and scifi just arrived, mostly stuff like this:

(sorry about the huge sizes)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh this is about Finland annexing Russia obviously.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Okua posted:

I work in a used bookstore. There are so so many bad books, espicially because there is a spirituality/new age section.

And a crate full of fantasy and scifi just arrived, mostly stuff like this:

(sorry about the huge sizes)

I see Anne McCaffrey has entered the James Patterson phase of her career.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Okua posted:

There's a Christian bookshop in the centre of the town where I live and it has this eschatology section; I remember picking up one book (this was maybe 10 years ago) which had a cover blurb boasting that it accurately forecast when the world would end. I opened it to a random page and there it said in capital letters "THE WORLD WILL END IN 1994 WHEN THE USSR INVADES ISRAEL".

Good thing I didn't actually need to buy it to learn when the world's going to end.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I'm sure Ready Player One has been mentioned. I thought the premise of a persistent virtual world overtaking the real one to be pretty cool, but the whole book is masturbatory 70's-80's pop culture references. I think there's one point where a character goes to a party and it's just several pages of the author describing deloreans and holographic R2-D2s and how none of the other plebs in the competition UNDERSTAND.

For some reason a bunch of people I know started reading it recently.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 17:52 on May 19, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nostradamus predicted Trump. Also, yet another book about Nostradamus that ignores his delicious jam recipes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Nostradamus predicted Trump. Also, yet another book about Nostradamus that ignores his delicious jam recipes.

Nah, that was just him predicting Jeremy Corbyn.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have a book somewhere that predicts the end of the world in 2001

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

RobotDogPolice posted:

I'm sure Ready Player One has been mentioned. I thought the premise of a persistent virtual world overtaking the real one to be pretty cool, but the whole book is masturbatory 70's-80's pop culture references. I think there's one point where a character goes to a party and it's just several pages of the author describing deloreans and holographic R2-D2s and how none of the other plebs in the competition UNDERSTAND.

For some reason a bunch of people I know started reading it recently.

Probably because of the movie.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I don't normally mind references, but literally every reference was then followed by "RIGHT OUT OF y PROPERTY!" Like, it wasnt enough that he has a Serenity class ship, he has to tell you right afterwards that it was a Serenity Class Transport from the Early 2000's sci-fi series Firefly. It felt like I was being pandered to more than anything.

I also might be misremembering because I haven't read it since it came out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Don Gato posted:

I don't normally mind references, but literally every reference was then followed by "RIGHT OUT OF y PROPERTY!" Like, it wasnt enough that he has a Serenity class ship, he has to tell you right afterwards that it was a Serenity Class Transport from the Early 2000's sci-fi series Firefly. It felt like I was being pandered to more than anything.

I also might be misremembering because I haven't read it since it came out.

No, the pandering is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Uruturuman is great hero to our people