Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
"Waiting For A Concept Like You"

So long, I've been looking too hard, I've been waiting too long
Sometimes I don't know what I will find, I only know it's a matter of time

When you love a ship, when you love a ship
It feels so right, lots of fidelity too, I need to know if the gameplay is true
Maybe I'm wrong, won't you tell me if I'm coming on too strong?
This wallet of mine has been hurt before, this time I want to be sure

I've been waiting for a ship like you to come into my fleet
I've been waiting for a ship like you, if your final render does survive
I've been waiting for Persistent-U to make me feel alive
Yeah, waiting for a ship like you to come into my fleet

You're so good, when we make love it's understood
It's more than a touch or a word can say
Only in dreams could it be this way

When you love a ship, yeah, really love a ship
Now, I know it's right, from the moment I pledge till deep in the night
There's nowhere in UEE that I'd rather be than holding you tenderly

I've been waiting for a ship like you to come into my fleet
I've been waiting for a ship like you, if your final render does survive
I've been waiting for Persistent-U to make me feel alive
Yeah, waiting for a ship like you to come into my fleet

I've been waiting, waiting for you, ooh
Ooh, I've been waiting
(Waiting) I've been waiting
(I've been waiting for a ship like you, I've been waiting) won't you come into my fleet?
Aah-aah-aah

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Streetroller posted:

I think you failed to appreciate my link ... those were two supermassive black holes in one galaxy! :smuggo:

Don't make bring up the topic of quasars again.

And at any rate that shouldn't even be surprising if NGC 6240 is indeed the result of a galactic collision.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

starkebn posted:

half a million in one day on the promise of a paragraph, not even a picture?

There is a picture for those who get to buy early.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

radd posted:

There is a picture for those who get to buy early.

And a picture to put beside your forum posts .... a steal of a deal

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

"Additional data and technically specifications"

Sweet quality checking on this announcement.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
so that 500+k was all warbond sales from concierge members. And you guys say faith is flagging. You cant destroy reality

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The stupidest marks in the scheme are still giving them money?! No way!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Risc1911 posted:

I think what he meant is they have one global light that acts as the sun. They don't have "real" suns that emit light. I also bet they don't have planets that move around said suns.

From his statement, I don't think so. Also, as I posted earlier, they can't have one light emitter in such a large scene. It will never be lit properly. So they would need to place a light source at each star.

no_recall posted:

In response to the ATV. I remember watching this and feeling pretty inspired by what they were going for.

Whatever they are trying to do in ATV seems to be setting all the scenes manually instead of getting the engine to do the heavy lifting?

I don't know anything about game development. :v:

That's because the entire world is built as levels in the editor. There's no procedural generation of the world. The only procedural generation they have going, would be in the terrain generation, which is what every terrain engine does anyway.

Hobold posted:

How the gently caress does r/ds keep thinking its being an 'archive' when there are literal places that do that already. Archive.is and waybackmachine do a better job of what they claim to be doing, without all the biased bullshit and hate stalking.

Maybe because it's not an archive, and they're just using that to justify the existence?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

DerekOld School Commando just got banned from r/starcitizen. He had a good run, but the forces of :reddit: were too strong.

Yeah, that happened last evening after he OSC made a massive post Let's Talk LumberYard Engine Switch. Key point:

quote:

"CIG spent millions to license a stock game engine, spent additional millions over several years to build a custom game engine; only to then scrap it for another custom engine. While Amazon spent millions to buy a stock engine license, is spending millions to improve it, and then released it as a more superior engine to CIG's (who had a huge head start over Amazon) own offering."

The /r/StarCitizen mods banned him shortly thereafter. The reason?

====
"I messaged the mod to ask why. And got this response. At least they're not pretending anymore.

"Your close interaction with Derek Smart."
====

Hobold posted:

They couldn't make a shadowban or reddit wide ban stick, so they just said gently caress it and punted him from the one place they can control?

Yeah. And they've been trying real hard since he appeared three weeks ago.

Hobold posted:

Can he go over the sub mods heads and get the banned overturned by admins, or is he just done at this point? I don't know how that poo poo heap works, because gently caress :reddit:

Nah. Mods control their own Reddits, and can do what they want there. But he did say last week (when the mass spam reported him and got him shadowbanned) that if they has asked him not to post in their Reddit, that he would have obliged. So after this recent post - which ofc they didn't like - they didn't ask because that would be playing nice. They just banned him. Problem solved. No more effort posts there. :shrug:

When this poo poo-show ends in the coming months, all this history is going to be so hilarious when we look back and laugh/troll those guys. It's going to be all kinds of epic.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

so that 500+k was all warbond sales from concierge members. And you guys say faith is flagging. You cant destroy reality

how many jpegs worth of reregs do you have by now

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Help me out Cap!

Is it:

Captain No
Captain Nox
Captain No X

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
what can i get for 150 that ive accumulated over 9 years?

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Help me out Cap!

Is it:

Captain No
Captain Nox
Captain No X

symmetry is key

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
Cap-Nox is my callsign in AC

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I thought it was Goku420

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

Mods change my name to "ShipLover42"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Aren't we all black holes orbiting each other in the end

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

starkebn posted:

half a million in one day on the promise of a paragraph, not even a picture?

Dreams > promises > jpegs > models > in-"game" ships

CIG ship development is just a long process of devaluation

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Don't make bring up the topic of quasars again.

And at any rate that shouldn't even be surprising if NGC 6240 is indeed the result of a galactic collision.

Quasars don't exist no more

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Help me out Cap!

Is it:

Captain No
Captain Nox
Captain No X

Captain Laughing Gas

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Nah. Mods control their own Reddits, and can do what they want there. But he did say last week (when the mass spam reported him and got him shadowbanned) that if they has asked him not to post in their Reddit, that he would have obliged. So after this recent post - which ofc they didn't like - they didn't ask because that would be playing nice. They just banned him. Problem solved. No more effort posts there. :shrug:

When this poo poo-show ends in the coming months, all this history is going to be so hilarious when we look back and laugh/troll those guys. It's going to be all kinds of epic.

"Hey, hey. This guy. We don't like him. But he says he will go away if we ask/tell him to. What do we do?"

"MASS REPORT HIM TO GET HIM BANNED FROM ALL OF REDDIT!"

*Some time later*

"Well that didn't work. What now?"

"BAN HIM AGAIN!"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

I plan on getting the new ship maybe if they impress me. It'll be a small upgrade.

Also someone exposed derek on reddit. hes not a doctor. Yet another reason you guys shouldnt hold him up to such high regard

To legit to quit.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Streetroller posted:

I think you failed to appreciate my link ... those were two supermassive black holes in one galaxy! :smuggo:

The scary thing is, the data they have from those supermassive black holes is from 400 million years ago. It's probably safe to say that the SMBH's have by now smashed into each other and either created an absolutely staggeringly sized supermassive (Hypermassive?) black hole or the act of those two gigantic masses coming together has triggered a devastating 'big bang' which is now obliterating everything and will eventually blow through our solar system rending every object back down to it's component particles.

I reckon SC will release shortly afterwards, albeit in an unfinished state.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm not gonna leap to the defense of any of these. Personally I'm kind of impressed by some of the tech DU has shown but I agree it's nowhere near what they are promising, yet. Chances are that just like with the dozen or so released so far, a few of the second gen. games will be really good. Nothing's ever going to meet the scope of Star Citizen's ambition, though, because it is literally impossible. This will be what keeps this second wave of games from upsetting backers, just like the first.

On the other hand if it releases, there will be some schoolyard fights....

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

Also someone exposed derek on reddit. hes not a doctor. Yet another reason you guys shouldnt hold him up to such high regard

:negative:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Chin posted:

The LA engineering team are "currently working on creating a technique for clients to request persistent information."

This is fine and totally normal for a massively multiplayer online game to be figuring out in its sixth year of development.

As I said in my July blog, it's going to kill people when they finally realize everything done to date is 0% of an MMO development. They haven't even begun working on Star Citizen yet.

They are on their way to a drop-in-drop-out type arena game though. But only on a single level. I don't believe they have figured out data streaming across different levels and getting people to move seamlessly between them.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guess it's time for you to come clean, Derek. Everything on reddit is 100% verifiable truth, you can't hide your secrets from them anymore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AP posted:

The ship on sale is always the best ship.

Hey, moma you ready to admit you got conned yet or is it going to take another three months?

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. They sold 1,720 of these in a blink of an eye only to concierge level backers?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. They sold 1,720 of these in a blink of an eye only to concierge level backers?

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public Star Citizen backers

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Lotta people believing in that post-release rise in ship value. You know, the way it works in real life.

I keep trying to explain to my accountant that she's wrong; that 10% depreciation on my brand new Yaris should be a fourfold increase in value. The rental market alone for this sweet whip should pay for itself within months.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

My story is Star Citizen sounded cool back in 2013 as I failed several times to enjoy EvE. Never pledged because the Kickstarter pitch sounded vague to me but thankfully CIG continues to deliver wonderful self-ownage free of charge.

If I had pledged that artist dudes resignation letter would have been my refund point. Doorgate was also pretty bad, dunno which was first.

I wanna revise my Star Citizen story. I saw the kickstarter before it ended. They either had way too much money already or it was clear they weren't going to have trouble. I was confused about if it was an MMO or some kind of world with matchmaking Frankenstein and honestly I've never seen this clarified other than private servers are the very last thing to be worked on, aka never happening for those not familiar with IT/software projects. The pitch seemed all about small fighter gameplay and I'm more interested in slower methodical space battles. I'll check it out on release and see if it's something I'm interested in.

Couple months later I check out the Star Citizen thread on SA. It's so filled to the brim with ~dreams~ that I couldn't tell speculation from working mechanics, I think the RSI site is starting to look pretty fancy about this time.

I occasionally see videos of Chris Roberts being asked a few questions in the hallway, They're approaching 50mil or something and now he's a bigshot with barely any time for questions. I think "drat they must have an outrageous team with that kind of money" yet all I can find is pre-rendered videos.

Fast forward to Elite Dangerous release. I used to watch some gaming talk shows on youtube or twitch and every time the subject of space sims comes up all the citizens start going berserk. Looked into Star Citizen status again and there are so many red flags just concerning feature creep. I open the SA thread which is now in it's own sub-forum. It's immediately clear the project is in perpetual death throes. Anyone who can't figure out this is a confidence scam in 10 mins probably would have fallen for something else equally as dumb.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 19, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sappo569 posted:

It's also pretty funny they're now giving away forum badges to help convince the whales to buybuybuy

Jokes on them, they don't even have a forum anymore.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Does (new, lovely av) MoMA believe CIG will stop selling ships for cash after "release"?

also, mods please fix the travesty that is MoMA's avatar and punish those responsible

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

scrod > scrod > scrod > scrod > in-"game" scrod
CIG ship development is just a long process of scrod
scrod

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

This is a great clip. Wheres it from? I like how the ladies money is burning by collateral damage.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

I plan on getting the new ship maybe if they impress me. It'll be a small upgrade.

What is this magic evidence that they so vocally claim exists, yet never gets shown anywhere?

Why does it matter?

Even if he didn't exist, SC'd still be circling the drain. He has no direct impact on the project, save maybe forcing last minute name changes on poo poo resulting in the potato incident from a couple years back.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

I dunno. Maybe he knows all that poo poo right away because those :reddit: idiots keep throwing everything in his face, claiming its proof/absolute fact that actually makes them all look like clowns.

But no. poo poo all over the dude for knowing things that you keep throwing in his face. Like he is supposed to just ignore everything, like :reddit: does about how much of a poo poo show this project is.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
"Derek Smart, (or w/e the gently caress they're currently calling him in an inane attempt to be passive aggressively insulting without saying 'he who should not be named',) is literally Satan/Hitler. Here is this HUUUUGE dump of poo poo that proves that! Go read it!"

"Guys, Derek is right, cuz all this poo poo he says, checks out."

"OMG YOU ARE REPEATING HIS TALKING POINTS! YOU MUST BE HIM!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Wait, didn't they actually try to do the whole 'He who should not be named' thing on Derek at one point?