Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Little Nightmares crashed and corrupted my save data when I was right at the end :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

A couple pages back but I've never been able to hate Teddie because he's so cute in human form. :ohdear:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do they ever explain Teddie's deal? Why is he a human in a bear suit? Morgana gets completely explained but I don't recall them going into what and why with Teddie.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

Do they ever explain Teddie's deal? Why is he a human in a bear suit? Morgana gets completely explained but I don't recall them going into what and why with Teddie.

They do, but they also leave a lot open to interpretation.

He's a shadow that became self aware. They don't explain exactly what formed him but it's probably a collective unconciousness thing as the series is fond of those. He picked the bear appearance to try and look friendlier to people who ended up in his world and, later on, develops his human self so he can fit in with the party better.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mokinokaro posted:

They do, but they also leave a lot open to interpretation.

He's a shadow that became self aware. They don't explain exactly what formed him but it's probably a collective unconciousness thing as the series is fond of those. He picked the bear appearance to try and look friendlier to people who ended up in his world and, later on, develops his human self so he can fit in with the party better.

I'm pretty sure they outright say that the midnight channel in general is the collective unconscious of humanity and teddie happens to be part of that. He's supposed to be a Shadow that reached self-actualization, since he was able to have a Persona.

I think P3 said that Personae and Shadows are two sides of the same coin, which is why a person gains a Persona once they accept their Shadow.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My minor gripe with Bloodborne is that the storytelling is mostly done through item descriptions and location/boss names, but they don't all make the most of it. Like, "Cleric Beast" is a fantastic name and combines with the area where you fight it to actually tell you something; "Martyr Logarius," "Mergo's Wet Nurse". What the gently caress is "Darkbeast Paarl" though? At the end of the enchanted forest of magic snakes I fight the "Shadow Of Yharnam"? gently caress you! Also clothing sets all have the same description for each piece, which is leaving three bits of exposition at a time on the table.

Zaark
Oct 26, 2007

2house2fly posted:

My minor gripe with Bloodborne is that the storytelling is mostly done through item descriptions and location/boss names, but they don't all make the most of it. Like, "Cleric Beast" is a fantastic name and combines with the area where you fight it to actually tell you something; "Martyr Logarius," "Mergo's Wet Nurse". What the gently caress is "Darkbeast Paarl" though? At the end of the enchanted forest of magic snakes I fight the "Shadow Of Yharnam"? gently caress you! Also clothing sets all have the same description for each piece, which is leaving three bits of exposition at a time on the table.

Both of those things are explained (as much as Bloodborne explains anything) later on in the chalice dungeons.

Darkbeasts are particularly old beasts that can generate electricity. They're found in the Loran(?) chalice dungeon. I think the Tonitrus mentions a man named Achibald who was researching darkbeasts and their ability to create electricity and I'm guessing Paarl was the name of one of apprenntices/hunters who ended up in the state you find him as a result of old Archibald.

The Shadows of Yharnam make a little more sense one you've completed the first Chalice dungeon (Pthumeru) and you find out Yharnam isn't just the name of the city, it's the name of a person. Specifically the queen of the city that Yahrnam was built on top of. She was the mother of Mergo and is the ghost lady you find just before Mergo's Wet Nurse who if you remember is preceded by a bunch of guys who look like the Shadows' of Yharnam. I have no idea who they 'actually' are but it's more likely their name is relating to the queen rather than they city.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm in a super robot wars mood again, and you know what's really dragging down Super Robot Wars V and the new OG game for me? They're still $59+ on every site I can find. :negative: I want them, but it's been long enough that they should be going down in price!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Teddie Talk" posted:

:words:

Yep, that's basically the gist of it. The TV world is part of the collective unconscious, presumably the part of it that relates to the thoughts people have towards, well, television. Teddie's appearance may have been based on his desire to look approachable, but it may have also just been based on mascots appearing on TV. Getting a human form probably related to him getting a Persona. He has a Persona, so he's human enough to gain a human appearance if he wants. A Shadow is basically a Persona gone nuts due to being repressed, making Teddie a repressed Persona that grew enough to be able to manifest his own Persona. That's assuming he ever was a Shadow in the first place. There's plenty of supernatural things that are related to the whole Persona/Shadow thing but aren't actually ones themselves, after all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zaark posted:

The Shadows of Yharnam make a little more sense one you've completed the first Chalice dungeon (Pthumeru) and you find out Yharnam isn't just the name of the city, it's the name of a person. Specifically the queen of the city that Yahrnam was built on top of. She was the mother of Mergo and is the ghost lady you find just before Mergo's Wet Nurse who if you remember is preceded by a bunch of guys who look like the Shadows' of Yharnam. I have no idea who they 'actually' are but it's more likely their name is relating to the queen rather than they city.

The Shadows of Yarnham always show up shortly before Yarnham does. I dunno if there's much more to it than that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've been playing Yu-Gi-oh: Legacy of the Duelist and there's something missing from the PSP tag force games that is just absolutely baffling which is the ability to purchase multiple packs at the same time. Why yes, I would like to buy packs of 8 cards one at a time instead of just purchasing entire boxes of booster packs.
The annoying thing is that Legacy of the Duelist is easily the best Yugioh game because you aren't handicapped with an AI teammate like in the Tag Force games. The AI still peeks at your facedown cards and has a tendency to draw exactly what they need from their deck if it's in there but it seems almost kinda fair.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 11:11 on May 18, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nuebot posted:

So I'm in a super robot wars mood again, and you know what's really dragging down Super Robot Wars V and the new OG game for me? They're still $59+ on every site I can find. :negative: I want them, but it's been long enough that they should be going down in price!

The important game is harsh.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My favorite crackpot theory about Teddie is that he's actually the main character's actual shadow/Persona, but because of the plot shenanigans that start the whole story, he's able to become friends with the party and become his own separate entity. Which leads to him getting his own shadow/persona. There was some "evidence" of this if you looked at certain scenes with a very specific interpretation in mind (The first shadow every character meets is their own, except the first Shadow the main character meets is Teddie. Crap like that)

For actual content... Breath of the Wild is too large and open-ended. I know that's an odd thing to bitch about, but I've run into a dead-end from the difficulty of everything outside of the plateau, the road to the first two towns and the immediate area around the first two towns have enemies that are massive difficulty spikes. Go down the road that Impa directs you towards? Centaur that shoots lighting arrows and can quickly chase you down. Try to go through mountains? Ice lizards and wolves. Try to explore the area around the plateau to get more towers? Fully armed and operational guardians.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 13:27 on May 18, 2017

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Randalor posted:

My favorite crackpot theory about Teddie is that he's actually the main character's actual shadow/Persona, but because of the plot shenanigans that start the whole story, he's able to become friends with the party and become his own separate entity. Which leads to him getting his own shadow/persona. There was some "evidence" of this if you looked at certain scenes with a very specific interpretation in mind (The first shadow every character meets is their own, except the first Shadow the main character meets is Teddie. Crap like that)

For actual content... Breath of the Wild is too large and open-ended. I know that's an odd thing to bitch about, but I've run into a dead-end from the difficulty of everything outside of the plateau, the road to the first two towns and the immediate area around the first two towns have enemies that are massive difficulty spikes. Go down the road that Impa directs you towards? Centaur that shoots lighting arrows and can quickly chase you down. Try to go through mountains? Ice lizards and wolves. Try to explore the area around the plateau to get more towers? Fully armed and operational guardians.

Run past it. For real. You can get away from everything, even Lynels.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Kruller posted:

Run past it. For real. You can get away from everything, even Lynels.

Flinging myself off mountains to evade Guardians and Lynels is practically my second job at this point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roro posted:

Flinging myself off mountains to evade Guardians and Lynels is practically my second job at this point.

Man up and parry all the Guardians' lasers already.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I downloaded the beta for Quake Champions, and I thought it was a lot of fun. Fast and frantic. But the in-between is just loaded with all that poo poo to buy. You have access to only one champ unless you buy more with in-game money or real money; several types of 'loot boxes'. I hate that trend so much. I haven't played a lot of new multiplayer games in the past several years, but it looks like most of shooters are just like this.

Even though I liked the game, I don't even want to re-load it and play again, I can't handle all that "BUY ME" crap in my face. It sucks just because for however many people won't play for that reason, I know the target audience eats that poo poo up and they'll still make loads on it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

loving liquid mercury drop rates. I've been in mementos long enough for the MC to go from 40 to 45 and I've only got five of the bastards.

Edit: of course the next two battles get me the last two I needed. loving RNG

Len has a new favorite as of 18:26 on May 18, 2017

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Len posted:

loving liquid mercury drop rates. I've been in mementos long enough for the MC to go from 40 to 45 and I've only got five of the bastards.

Edit: of course the next two battles get me the last two I needed. loving RNG

And then you realize that there are only about 5 locked chests left in the game and you didn't need to waste your time making the master lock at all anyway

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Poulpe posted:

And then you realize that there are only about 5 locked chests left in the game and you didn't need to waste your time making the master lock at all anyway

You shut your dirty whore mouth. Mementos has an infinite number of them I'll be fine.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

RareAcumen posted:

Man up and parry all the Guardians' lasers already.

Why parry when you can kill them near instantly with ancient arrows? :smug:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Poulpe posted:

Also, trophy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mementos in general is a fun tax on the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Part of me wants to try and plat Persona but then I think about the trophy for hearing 250 unique navigator lines and I nope right the gently caress out

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Roro posted:

You know Lynels won't go out of their way to fight you right? If you don't have your weapon drawn you can just walk right past them (just as long as you're not actually almost touching them at least).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

Part of me wants to try and plat Persona but then I think about the trophy for hearing 250 unique navigator lines and I nope right the gently caress out

It's not as difficult as it sounds, mostly because the last boss has like two dozen unique nav lines alone so if you make a point of cycling your party lineup and not instantly one-shotting everything you're likely to get it right at the finish line.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Len posted:

I got this one without even trying in either the last or second to last dungeon.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

I downloaded the beta for Quake Champions, and I thought it was a lot of fun. Fast and frantic. But the in-between is just loaded with all that poo poo to buy. You have access to only one champ unless you buy more with in-game money or real money; several types of 'loot boxes'. I hate that trend so much. I haven't played a lot of new multiplayer games in the past several years, but it looks like most of shooters are just like this.

Even though I liked the game, I don't even want to re-load it and play again, I can't handle all that "BUY ME" crap in my face. It sucks just because for however many people won't play for that reason, I know the target audience eats that poo poo up and they'll still make loads on it.

If it's any consolation there will be a traditional buy-up-front version that includes all of the champions, including ones they add post-release. They'll still shove the cosmetic DLC in your face though.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
the cosmetic loot box poo poo isn't even good. I hate lootboxes in overwatch but the skins in that are at least pleasant to look at and reflect the character's style well

so far all i've gotten in quake is "oh well now you can get a shader for this character that makes their armor look slightly more blue, but they still look like a realistic flesh lump! wowee!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You dont get the trophy if you make your maid craft the eternal lockpick for you. Just a fun fact.

Edit: unless there's an item I missed. That may be the case.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Len posted:

You dont get the trophy if you make your maid craft the eternal lockpick for you. Just a fun fact.

Edit: unless there's an item I missed. That may be the case.

It's a known bug, yeah, if you're going for the trophy then do it all yourself. Sorry :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

It's a known bug, yeah, if you're going for the trophy then do it all yourself. Sorry :(

Thankfully I saved right before I crafted them since it was time to leave for work so no real loss. But yeah that's a fun fact

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Spyro: Year of the Dragon

Jesus Christ, the Frozen Altars yeti boxing match.

Bentley (the PC) moves at the speed of a sloth, the yeti's attacks are stronger and faster and all in all, it resembles trying to beat Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid without switching controller ports.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Spyro: Year of the Dragon

Jesus Christ, the Frozen Altars yeti boxing match.

Bentley (the PC) moves at the speed of a sloth, the yeti's attacks are stronger and faster and all in all, it resembles trying to beat Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid without switching controller ports.

I tend to replay that game to 100% completion about once a year or so, and I totally agree - you basically have to hammer the quick jab button while getting the other yeti in a corner and praying to the deity of your choice. I normally just blatantly savestate my way through it to get that skill point.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

gently caress you Agent 9. Spyro, like Sonic, was better off without his woodland critter friends.

That said I never had trouble with the trolley.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That trolley separated the strong from the weak.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

have you all been bitten by a rabid BioEnchanted or something wtf

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

gently caress you Agent 9. Spyro, like Sonic, was better off without his woodland critter friends.

Show of hands, how many of us here are gonna make a Sonichu when Sonic Forces drops?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
*Raises hand*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I really want to keep playing Forza Horizon 3 on PC and also buy the Hot Wheels expansion but not if the game keeps crashing. What the hell Microsoft? You seriously made a game that requires Windows 10 and you can't even bother to make sure it's stable? No way in hell am I buying an Xbox One.