Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Avalerion posted:

When/against who is that ablative armor talent a good idea?

Lunara 100% also if tracer is targeting you. Maybe tychus. I guess it messes with gul'dan's life drain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kai Tave posted:

So is March of the Murlocs supposed to be good? I've seen people talk about how Octograb got super-nerfed because now you can just kill Murky and end it early which, fair enough, but every single game I've thought to myself "y'know, I'm gonna try March of the Murlocs this time" I've never once come away from it being impressed in the slightest, nor have I ever had a moment where I was like "hell yeah, that March totally turned the fight in our favor, way to go."

I'm bad at the game so of course that's a factor there but nonetheless March comes across like a minor nuisance at best with a long cooldown while I can have Octograb up dang near every fight, and to be honest if I have to trade my life for that of another hero that's a tradeoff that works out in my favor, especially the longer the match goes for when I'm respawning in 6-12 seconds while they're taking a minute.

I can never really do anything with Octograb. I think March of the Murlocs is way better and also just way more fun. When you are doing it in the direction of some structures, the little murlocs will jump on it and attack it and also they wear the same skin as you :3:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

lol

https://clips.twitch.tv/SarcasticSneakyShrimpStoneLightning

e: this week's brawl AFK kicks players in between rounds because you can't "participate" while picking a hero takes too long :psyduck:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 19, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Avalerion posted:

When/against who is that ablative armor talent a good idea?

it hits all poison/dot effects and is effective against almost everyone's autoattacks, giant killer, multi-hit spells like genji's shuriken toss, guldan's corruption/life drain, etc etc. it's probably the correct choice on that tier in most situations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

that's a good trick

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Minrad posted:

it hits all poison/dot effects and is effective against almost everyone's autoattacks, giant killer, multi-hit spells like genji's shuriken toss, guldan's corruption/life drain, etc etc. it's probably the correct choice on that tier in most situations.

Are you sure it impacts Giant killer?

I might need to double check, but Tychus' trait didn't seem to be impacted by it and I assumed it worked the same.

Does spell armor/spell block reduce % based abilities like Minigun and Giant Killer?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 19, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

no giant killer effect hits for more than 5% of dva's life, and all giant killer effects are a seperate hit from whatever autoattack or spell causes their damage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Minrad posted:

no giant killer effect hits for more than 5% of dva's life, and all giant killer effects are a seperate hit from whatever autoattack or spell causes their damage.

Yeah, I edited the original post. I though Ablative Armor threshold was 3% and not 5%.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anyone figured out if Ablative Armor affects D.Va's self-destruct gain?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Assuming the tooltip is accurate, you still gain charge as if the damage wasn't reduced.

e: vvv the alternatives, though...

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 19, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

So is her nitros boost only active for half a second? If I'm reading it right I'm back to thinking it's useless. I'm rarely that close when I want to boost

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
March of Murlocs own and taking the 20 talent that lets you channel it forever makes it hilarious on objectives that have a good hiding place/narrow corridors because you just plop it toward the objective and the enemy team will try to kill you while taking damage and your team can capitalize on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

So is her nitros boost only active for half a second? If I'm reading it right I'm back to thinking it's useless. I'm rarely that close when I want to boost

You only get the damage + speed bonus for the first .5 seconds.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kashuno posted:

March of Murlocs own and taking the 20 talent that lets you channel it forever makes it hilarious on objectives that have a good hiding place/narrow corridors because you just plop it toward the objective and the enemy team will try to kill you while taking damage and your team can capitalize on it.

The level 20 is bad because you are rooting and stunning yourself for the whole fight. It's much better to have march going and be able to participate in the fight than to have a 4v5 with perma march since the base duration is long enough that the fight should probably be determined anyways by the time it's finished.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

there's not really any alternative. it lets you clear creeps faster as a bonus.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

bamhand posted:

The level 20 is bad because you are rooting and stunning yourself for the whole fight. It's much better to have march going and be able to participate in the fight than to have a 4v5 with perma march since the base duration is long enough that the fight should probably be determined anyways by the time it's finished.
Perma-march is loving hilarious though

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I take never ending murlocs 100% of the time because its really funny.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Minrad posted:

I was taking the no damage one to get around the map faster. Clearing waves isn't a huge problem for dva and I'd never blow her single important cooldown on creeps

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

GenericOverusedName posted:

True but winning is good too. I would definitely take perma-march if I were sure we'd win our team fights 4v5. In practice though there's rarely a reason to need march for longer than the base duration.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

bamhand posted:

Counterpoint: It's more fun and it's hilarious

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I thought Big Tuna Kahuna was the clear 20 choice?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

But that's boring and not hilarious?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kashuno posted:

But that's boring and not hilarious?

How is Huge Murky not hilarious?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I also like endless slime.
But I'll take endless march on a game when we get 20 pushing the core for a funny finish.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

How is Huge Murky not hilarious?

It is but not as hilarious as infinite super tiny Murkys

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Rygar201 posted:

Making Inky is really good if the opponent doesn't have the kind of comp that can just instantly blow you up, you can literally poo poo out damage. But Big Tuna Kahuna is what I go with most of the time because gently caress YOU VALEERA (or insert any other hero here) NOW YOU CAN'T JUST ONE SHOT ME, AND IT'S loving ON NOW, LET'S GO.

Pre-20 Murky is like "ok I can be annoying"

Big Tuna Kahuna is like

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 19, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think of Murky's ults like this: a well set up Octograb is nearly always a guaranteed kill on a squishy, which makes it perfect for ambushing and taking out an assassin like Valla or Li-Ming. However, it's a suicide deal -- no team fight is gonna let you keep going after getting your Q W R combo off.

On the other hand, March lets Murky shine by creating an Earthquake-sized Slow that does better than Earthquake for damage. It's also set and forget, at level 10 -- do your :toot: and rush in to slime em up. It's more suited to maps with solid objectives -- Raven Lord, Immortals, Shrines. Grab is better suited to maps where you could catch a hero out -- like Hanamura, or turning in at Blackheart's or Spider.

Making Inky and Big Tuna Kahuna are the best l20's for our fish boy. BTK gives him absurd life, which when combined with "shield on respawn" or "heal on Bubble" makes him scary. Inky halves the cool down on his main source of damage. If you took the Slime quest talents earlier, it means he can poo poo out 600~ish damage per two seconds, to say nothing of his Slime on AA + dot talents.

Tl;dr: :coolfish:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Making Inky with the slime talents is amazing if the enemy team doesn't have a ton of burst.

It's pretty hilarious watching an Illidan try to go in for the easy Murky kill only to do 25% melee damage and get hit with 1.4k ability damage that evasion can't avoid in less than a second and then another 600 when ink comes off cooldown a second later before he realizes it.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

The only guides I could find easily online are years old. Any Abathur tips?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Octograb is great when the enemy team is running away or trying to disengage. Killing a self-stunned Murky is a surprising amount of work when you have to turn around and wade into the enemy team to do it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Gustav posted:

Octograb is great when the enemy team is running away or trying to disengage. Killing a self-stunned Murky is a surprising amount of work when you have to turn around and wade into the enemy team to do it.

Also great against slippery dive heroes.

"FEEL THE HATRED OF TEN THOU-"

SPLAT.

Also I recalled Octograb once on Tracer. I felt like a god. I don't think I can ever top that play in my life.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Man fighting people like artanis with baby dva because of ggwp is hilarious

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hey, did they take out Li-Ming calling out her own killstreaks for some reason? What do I have to do to get it back?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fumaofthelake posted:

I have Abathur at level 69 (nice) and I would be hard pressed to give a good "guide" that would always be relevant. He is extremely situationally-dependent.

The biggest things you can do to improve your Abathur game in general are:

1) Map Awareness. Map Awareness. Map Awareness.

Know the maps, know where the fog of war/bushes are, know where the objectives spawn, and know where the enemy team is.

You can use your body and the hat to soak separate lanes.

On Battlefield of Eternity, I usually body soak one lane and then hat the other and have our team defend our immortal.

This eventually either forces the other team to waste time looking for me or gives us a 3 level advantage.

Knowing the maps and when/where to soak is important.

2) Have fast reflexes and be able to predict enemy moves.

You can snipe people who run away from team fights with low health by hatting a minion in lane that you know they are going to walk by and getting a stab + spike burst to finish them off.

3) Use mines for vision and dismounting/disrupting enemy heroes; not clearing creeps.

4) Adrenal Overload works on everything.

Keeps, Minions, Mercs, Heroes, and Summons.

5) Talent based on your team/enemy team comp.

Abathur has a lot of "situational" picks that are not useful all the time, but can be extremely useful in certain maps/team comps.

Tier 1, 10, 13, and 16 especially.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 19, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

From Reddit:

context

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 19, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Minrad posted:

How have you been building her? Nitro, longer matrix, matrix slows, bunny hop, ablative, ggwp, meka?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think the longer Matrix is as useful as having 2-3 extra self-destructs in a match so I tend to take the increased charge at that tier. Also the level 20 evolution to Bunny Hop does a scary amount of structure damage.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

It is. It would be a tough choice if you haven't taken BTK yet because it doesn't look as fun, but it's extremely fun. Especially if you're able to take the "bubble regens you a % of your health" talent. You can't always, but being a mini-dehaka is great.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fumaofthelake posted:

I got you. Leon Trotsky has good overall tips: here's some more drilled down ones.

First, memorize the ways that Abathur can soak: slug body. Being around with his symbiote. Last hits with his Mines.

So, there's two acceptable ways (imo) to build your slug boy: Carapace or Locusts. But if you want to take advantage of Abathur's strengths, we go for the Locusts.

Level 1: Survival Instincts makes your Locusts take another shot from Towers, and make it that much further down the lane. For basic pushing, can't be beat. Alternatively, Envenomed Mines offer a pretty tasty boost to Mine damage (75% dot). I do not recommend Regenerative Microbes -- when you're hatting a hero, you're using the Carapace to prevent damage. It's very rarely going to survive the four seconds over which you heal, and the healing is kinda lovely. Just hope your team gets some globes.

I have never taken the Pressurized Glands and don't think I will. It's not bad in a vacuum but the other talents are much better.

Level 4: icy-veins doesn't like Prolific Dispersal -- they're wrong! Abathur's Mine range is Thicc (tm) enough that you don't need it to be global. Two extra mines means two extra pieces of vision over merc camps and turn-ins. Adrenal Overload is a talent you pick dependent on team comp -- i.e.: Raynor, Valla, Hammer, or Illidan. I'm not certain if Sustained Carapace can key off the previous Carapace talent, but it's still a Carapace talent that gives you a lovely sustained shield. If you want to give everyone enduring shields, be Tassadar. Global Mines from Ballistospheres, again, is a bit of a trap talent -- a 25% duration isn't great (they already last 90 seconds), and like I said, Abathur's radius is huge.

Level 7: This isn't a great talent pick for Abathur. Networked Carapace could be okay for pushing a minion wave, I guess? But again, it doesn't last long enough, and the utility of the talent in team fights (since it disperses an untalented carapace) sucks. The MULE is okay for dispersed push maps -- Blackheart's Bay, Spider Queen. Needlespine's 20% damage & range increase is Just Okay. I don't think there've been enough times where I'd say 'I wish my Needles were stronger' in teamfights. Vile Nest is good for slapping mines in jungle-thick maps, like Immortals or Garden. Flex choice.

To me, Level 10 is nonnegotiable. You need Ultimate Evolution. Low cooldown to change the course of a teamfight -- clone Jaina, Greymane, or another big damage hero to rip into the enemy team with abandon. You don't give hero XP for dying. To be effective with the Monstrosity requires a lot of micromanaging, taking up your hat focus for limited benefit. The biggest problem with Abathur is his lack of presence: you'd rather have him be present in teamfights than doing a -little- more sieging.

Level 13: Bombard Strain is an easy pick, boosting Abathur's passive besiege by a threatening amount. Assault Strain is okay if you hadn't picked Survival Instincts at 1, since the value comes from their exploding, which happens more often when they're weak. Soma Transference might be okay if you're picking Adrenal Overload at 4 ONLY for a melee hero, giving your Illidan an even crazier amount of self-sustain. Spatial Efficiency reduces your Hat Q's damage, gives it an extra charge. It's just not good enough for me.

Level 16: Volatile Evolution is a way worse Burning Rage / Holy Fire, but only for the duration of your ultimates. It's awful. Envenomed Spines is for your hypothetical Illidan Hat Boy build, giving your W a 40% slow which'll do him wonders for locking down enemies. But Locust Brood is what you want: three locusts on demand can take a camp on their own with some help from slapping and mines. Moreover, its push makes Abathur's laning loving scary -- the enemy team needs to take care of it every now and then to avoid losing forts. Adrenaline Boost feels like a worse Envenomed Spines to me -- better to slow many than speed one, imo.

Level 20: You shouldn't be taking the Monstrosity to begin with, so you don't need its 20. Moreover, the Monstrosity doesn't need to be Deep Tunneling. The Evo Link is good for your melee assassin, and it's good if you have a good warrior on the team -- a 25% shield renewing every five seconds makes them beefy as hell. The Hivemind is poor -- I don't know if it gets boosted by talents, but the halved damage isn't super, and trying to get most of the hits to work on your seconded Symbiote is an exercise in futility. Otherwise, the Locust Hive is super -- spitting out an even flow of Locusts down two lanes is huge for pushing. It can also hide Abathur's position.

Miscellaneous tips: Slapathur is hilarious; do not use it unless your team has the core to like 20%.

Keep moving: until level 20, your locusts are essentially a big arrow that says 'STEALTH HEROES COME HERE!' While it might be at a loss of XP, you're not going to do anything if you're dead. Better to hide behind a fort, not at the hall. Locusts will mostly die when they begin to spine at the hall.

When you're trying to deal with a push, it seems natural to hat the towers. Don't do that -- instead, hat the gate -- something to do with how HotS calculates the size of the gate makes the Hat's W have a pretty huge range.

That's all I can think of. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Is there really nothing sacred? (In all seriousness this is hilarious and what were they thinking with Li Ming's face?)