Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hazzard posted:

For a revolution to happen you need a concentrated group of people who are convinced the almost certain death is worth attempting a change. I've heard the magic number is 5% of a group, but that seems low to me. You need a number of people, close enough that they can form a network which is greater than the people who will actively oppose the revolution and pray most people will sway with the wind rather than support the status quo. French and Russian revolutions didn't come out of nowhere.

Hell, there were two attempts in the Weimar Republic which both failed. And that was an unstable government with fairly poor living for most of the people at the time.

Edit: Suppose there is a slave revolt, where does it begin? A plantation? What will they arm themselves with, who will make the first move and almost certainly die? How will they make sure that somebody doesn't escape and bring in a militia of other group of armed men with guns?

Not to mention how as weapon technology improved, surviving until you can arm your mob gets harder and harder.

imo guns made revolts more likely to succeed

has anyone researched this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hazzard posted:

Edit: Suppose there is a slave revolt, where does it begin? A plantation? What will they arm themselves with, who will make the first move and almost certainly die? How will they make sure that somebody doesn't escape and bring in a militia of other group of armed men with guns?

Not to mention how as weapon technology improved, surviving until you can arm your mob gets harder and harder.

Look up the Haitian revolution, that one should explain how this could work out.

Your theory of how peasants with swords have better chances at their uprising then peasants with guns is bad, though. I certainly don't remember hearing about how the many, many slave revolts of Sparta ended in total and easy victory for the slaves.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Haitian revolution doesn't get enough credit in frustrating Napoleon and his attempt to try and establish France in the Americas. Those Haitian soldiers were Hardcore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The key things to remember about the Haitain revolution compared to the situation in the Southern states was:

1. Haiti was 90% slave/10% free, compared to around 50/50 for the Southern states
2. Haiti had both a major slave population and a mixed race middle class with access to money and education, which didn't have an equivalent in the South
3. Haiti was an ocean away from its controlling country, meaning there was a major time delay between events getting worse in Haiti and reinforcements/new orders arriving
4. There was a mountainous border region between Haiti and the Dominican Republic where slave soldiers could hang out and evade detection

IIRC Haiti was the only successful slave revolt in history, so clearly a lot of things have be set up in order to allow one to succeed. Not that that makes slave revolutions much different from regular revolutions.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Also helps when half your enemy's soldiers are dead or in the hospital due to not being used to tropical diseases.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The entire antebellum southern society was pretty much set up to undermine slave uppity-ness. Most blacks were illiterate, communication outside of one's own plantation was practically impossible and often illegal, movement even of free blacks was highly restricted, any hint of insurrection was dealt with quickly and brutally, not just by the slaveowners, but often by the state government (whose harshness occasionally conflicted with the desires of the slaveowners - they didn't want their property so badly damaged).

It is another good case of "they weren't stupid" in history - southern whites were terrified of slave rebellion and created a very effective system to prevent it. Blacks were equally not stupid - they knew that their chances of successfully rebelling were practically nonexistent and so when presented with a choice of 1) life in bondage or 2) resisting, most of them chose #1. This is kind of hard for modern people to understand, and it was hard even for some contemporaries (John Brown) to wrap their heads around.

Things like the Underground Railroad were about as good as anyone could have done, and even that was iffy as hell most of the time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

While we're on the topic of slave revolts, does anyone know anything about the Zanj Rebellion or know of a decent writeup somewhere? I'm not looking for an entire book, I just want an idea of what happened because I really only stumbled on it by happenstance and don't really know more than what the wiki page has to offer.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bewbies posted:

The entire antebellum southern society was pretty much set up to undermine slave uppity-ness. Most blacks were illiterate, communication outside of one's own plantation was practically impossible and often illegal, movement even of free blacks was highly restricted, any hint of insurrection was dealt with quickly and brutally, not just by the slaveowners, but often by the state government (whose harshness occasionally conflicted with the desires of the slaveowners - they didn't want their property so badly damaged).

It is another good case of "they weren't stupid" in history - southern whites were terrified of slave rebellion and created a very effective system to prevent it. Blacks were equally not stupid - they knew that their chances of successfully rebelling were practically nonexistent and so when presented with a choice of 1) life in bondage or 2) resisting, most of them chose #1. This is kind of hard for modern people to understand, and it was hard even for some contemporaries (John Brown) to wrap their heads around.

Things like the Underground Railroad were about as good as anyone could have done, and even that was iffy as hell most of the time.

Yeah, the second resistance was actually viable thanks to the war they didn't hesitate to flee to union lines and become contrabands.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think the Haitian rebellion, while I think reasonably justifiable did not help the case of slaves in the United States, as it pretty much gave propagandists advocating for slavery the perfect scare mongering material to peddle to white people across the country especially in the South. Thats not to say that slavery was roses in the South before then as it through and through is a wretched institution, but I think it caused people to double down on terrible racial institutions and viewpoints.

I guess you could maybe topically compare it to the BLM today in regards to police brutality towards minorities, realistically its bad however snapping and going out and killing police isn't going to defuse tensions its just gonna make things even worse. As mentioned John Brown did that in 1859 with the Harpers Ferry stuff, and today the couple of people who snapped and killed police supposedly as payback. Those killings didn't necessarily help, except maybe move the needle towards a crisis point where two sides could not reach consensus.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 19, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Servile Wars led to some favorable reforms for Roman slaves didn't they? Though the concept of Roman slavery was vastly different from American chattel slavery.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeah, but again, these comparisons are terrible, because now it's just saying BLM needs to kill all the police, or at least in in one state or something, to keep the Haiti comparison.
Not cool, unless you're talking about a remake of the Warriors.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 19, 2017

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

cosmosisjones posted:

Also helps when half your enemy's soldiers are dead or in the hospital due to not being used to tropical diseases.

I'm reading Swords Around a Throne and I think everytime Haiti gets mentioned it's followed by someone dying. Usually lots of someones.

On the topic of slave revolts there's a Jack Goldstone book about Revolutions in the Early Modern that talks about conditions necessary for a successful revolution and almost all of these are totally absent for the South. You need a lot to create a successful revolution such as elite dissatisfaction, mass mobilization potential, a change in economic circumstances particularly among the agrarian landlords, and other elements that are absent from the South.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Rockopolis posted:

Yeah, but again, these comparisons are terrible, because now it's just saying BLK needs to kill all the police, or at least in in one state or something, to keep the Haiti comparison.
Not cool, unless you're talking about a remake of the Warriors.

I didn't mean that and probably used a bad example there, the scales are way different.

Maybe a better example would be I guess John Brown and the Harper's Ferry Raid. Guy incredibly frustrated with the abolitionist movement being mostly pacifist decides to take matters into his own hands and goes and takes violent action. It doesn't really accomplish much and he dies. However provides the perfect propaganda tool to galvanize southerners against abolitionists, blacks and make them terrified of what might happen if the slaves get freed.

Contrast too now, Micah Johnson gets frustrated with peaceful protest attempts by BLM to get the police to stop doing their lovely policies and murdering black men for a variety of bad reasons, he takes violent action that doesn't really accomplish much and he dies. Gives police departments and supporters the perfect propaganda to play the victim card and "police are the real victims" and rally up support to the Blue Lives Matter.

Although maybe this is steering too much into DD territory...

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 19, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jack2142 posted:

I didn't mean that and probably used a bad example there, the scales are way different.

Maybe a better example would be I guess John Brown and the Harper's Ferry Raid. Guy incredibly frustrated with the abolitionist movement being mostly pacifist decides to take matters into his own hands and goes and takes violent action. It doesn't really accomplish much and he dies. However provides the perfect propaganda tool to galvanize southerners against abolitionists, blacks and make them terrified of what might happen if the slaves get freed.

Contrast too now, Micah Johnson gets frustrated with peaceful protest attempts by BLM to get the police to stop doing their lovely policies and murdering black men for a variety of bad reasons, he takes violent action that doesn't really accomplish much and he dies. Gives police departments and supporters the perfect propaganda to play the victim card and "police are the real victims" and rally up support to the Blue Lives Matter.

Although maybe this is steering too much into DD territory...

yes

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
while reading about rebellions i found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1797_Rugby_School_Rebellion

The boys were outraged and, on a Friday afternoon, blew up the door of the Headmaster's study with a petard.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Didn't one of William the Conqueror's sons rebel because his brothers dumped a chamber pot on them in a prank?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Hellcat in the USSR

Queue: Light Tank M3A3, Char B1 in German service, Renault NC, Renault D1, Renault R35, Renault D2, Renault R40, 25 mm Hotchkiss gun, LT vz 35, Praga AH-IV, Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, big guns for the KV-1, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, SG-122, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, SU-26/T-26-6, T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad, SU-122 precursors

Available for request:

:911:
Light Tank M5

:britain:

:ussr:
122 mm howitzer for the T-34 and KV
Competitors of the SU-122NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101
Swedish tanks 1928–1934
Strv m/41

:poland:

:france:

:godwin:
Pak 97/38
7.5 cm Pak 41
s.FH. 18
PzVII Lowe NEW

:eurovision:
Tankbuchse 41

:jewish:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

while reading about rebellions i found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1797_Rugby_School_Rebellion

The boys were outraged and, on a Friday afternoon, blew up the door of the Headmaster's study with a petard.

That was the most 18th century thing I've ever read.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

One of the weirder war related things I think I've ever seen:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

chitoryu12 posted:

quote:

One of the ringleaders, Willoughby Cotton later became a lieutenant general in the army. Another became a bishop.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

One of the weirder war related things I think I've ever seen:

M-1 Corkscrew

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The ensuing wave of drunkenness is implied and need not be officially recorded

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

petards are good, ain't seen one of them in a while

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

petards are good, ain't seen one of them in a while

Did they work in the 18th century? I would have thought they'd be difficult enough without trying to use them on some kind of hellish 18th century fortification.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

Did they work in the 18th century? I would have thought they'd be difficult enough without trying to use them on some kind of hellish 18th century fortification.
they're specifically for blowing doors, you screw/nail them to the door and then set it off. the thing you're blowing a hole in has to be wood, or else it doesn't work

(look how tattered and skinny the soldiers in the second image are! i bet this one was drawn from life)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I know I mean how do you get them to the door past the rest of the fortifications? I thought they were mostly used shortly after the invention of gunpowder against outdated medieval fortifications.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

Oh I know I mean how do you get them to the door past the rest of the fortifications?
in a fortress, that's an endgame sort of thing. if you're just blowing a hole in the door of an inn to grab a bunch of dudes, spirit them away to the woods, murder them, and search the bodies for diplomatic papers (a thing i read about once), your band of heavily armed dudes just runs up to the place, shooting their way in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea of people running around with 18th century blocks of C4 using them on random buildings is kind of terrifying.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The idea of people running around with 18th century blocks of C4 using them on random buildings is kind of terrifying.

It was just as terrifying for the sappers and whatever poor bastard soldiers they roped into using the thing. The 17th century approach to gun powder safety is crazy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

The 17th century approach to gun powder safety is crazy.
oh Christ yes

for example, before they invented the cloth cartridge for artillery you put the powder down the tube with a big ladle, and eyewitness accounts mention, after a day of hard fighting, seeing black lines of spilled powder back and forth between the cannon and the barrels where the ammunition was stored, since it'd sift out of the ladles as the artillerists walked

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Every time I read the phrase 'lines of gun powder' I picture a fortress full of Portuguese soldiers blowing up in the middle of a frantic assault.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also if you have no salt at the time and get issued fresh meat, you can preserve your meat with it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAIL posted:

also if you have no salt at the time and get issued fresh meat, you can preserve your meat with it

gross

Did it alter the flavor any

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GAIL posted:

(look how tattered and skinny the soldiers in the second image are! i bet this one was drawn from life)

I spent way too long trying to figure out what the bottom row was spelling

Presumably the opposite of "coexist" in german

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I mean, saltpeter is potassium nitrate, so it's edible.

It might be a problem if you extract it from decomposing manure or urine.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

I mean, saltpeter is potassium nitrate, so it's edible.

It might be a problem if you extract it from decomposing manure or urine.

They used to put gunpowder in whiskey back in the old west days, didn't they? Or was that just a legend?

I learned it during my cheap whiskey drinking days while trying to figure out how literal the term "rotgut" is (turns out it used to be quite literal, though comparatively not so much anymore if my research is to be believed)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

gross

Did it alter the flavor any
i don't know. i've eaten my share of black powder (it's salty, but in a weird way) but never on meat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rub it on the meat and then when you want to eat the meat hold a match to it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somebody should do a historical soldier food book.

Cuirass fried horse flank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody should do a historical soldier food book.

Cuirass fried horse flank.

Tobasco Sauce on Everything - A Modern British Infantryman's Cookbook