Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit for top of page:

TorakFade posted:

Well this game is almost over. Getting a PU over Castile+Aragon+Naples before 1480 is quite OP, who would've thought :v: all in all it's been a riot.

I could've gone for much, much more but I wanted to take it easy, and somewhere along the line my save de-ironmanned itself so it wasn't possible to go for achievements

I'm huge (Scotland, Ireland and Syria are my creations, I love releasing small powers from the big guys and guaranteeing them :v: )

REAL huge (GP screen is a little old but didn't change much, note that I own literally all of North America and the caribbean)

Scandinavia is in a PU under me, they were my allies but then they didn't want me to finish eating the last German dudes that were their allies (lubeck) so they fought me and lost. gently caress them, I had a force limit of 620 (without Quantity!) and between them, the commonwealth and a couple minors couldn't even break 350 so I just claimed their throne and went to town

Speaking about forts, all those you see here are level 8 fortresses. I'm still making 400+ ducats per month, apparently owning all the trade and all the land makes you free from money issues :getin:

RabidWeasel posted:

WTG AI Persia and Malaya :)

(Some Berber state being huge seems to happen in most of my games I guess because nobody wants to loving bother taking their poo poo provinces, and they still usually have a big tech advantage over the West Africans)

QuarkJets posted:

and OMAN! You go for that Third Way achievement, AI player

and Morocco I guess is pretty big too
This is why I love when people post screenshots and stories.

Also that reminds me that I want to give the Morocco and Third Way achievements a go sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Mans posted:

What did you start as? I want to do a Persia run but all the starting options seem to be dependant on restarting the game, which sucks for a MP session

I started as Tabarestan and restarted repeatedly until I got lucky. I never had any luck either trying to become a vassal of QQ and getting my independence supported, or releasing Persia as a vassal (two strats I read about). When I was successful, my first move was to jump on QQ solo when they were losing a bad war against Trebizond + Georgia and took all my same culture/Shia provinces. Then I went after Shirvan and took the province of Shirvan + vassalized them, and fed them Gazimukh and vassalized Georgia and made them a march. I was dumb and enforced religion on them so I was dealing with their liberty desire forever. Next move I think was to hit Timmies and take all the provinces needed to form Persia, which I did around 1480? 1490? I think. Then I kept hitting Timmies to get the rest of my culture group, and took Iraq. I tried to keep the Ottos happy for as long as possible, never managed to land an alliance with them, only a royal marriage at one point. They went hostile after I got too much AE with them from eating Iraq, sometime in the early-mid 1500s I believe. I was still battling down my dumb vassals' dumb liberty desire in the 1500s when I actually fought an independence war for Georgia + Iraq supported by the Ottos, which sucked. Georgia had high LD, Iraq had previously had high LD and allied with Georgia, got Iraq back down to loyal, then Ottos supported Georgian independence, and Iraq (with 40-something LD) was the one who actually declared the independence war despite still being loyal, due to their alliance with Georgia- didn't know that could happen :v: After I'd beaten down the Ottos a few times and eaten what was left of the Mameluks, I went ham on India and China. Wanted to get nice pretty borders for That's A Silk Road and not have ugly tentacles to grab silk provinces.

But yeah like you said, super luck/restart dependent strat so would probably suck for MP.

Shahanshah/This Is Persia!/That's A Silk Road/Live Long And Prosper, the last one by accident :v:

One really dumb thing I did at the end- I was constantly battling separatist rebels because I was expanding so fast that my religious unity was dropping faster than I could convert (4 missionaries, no religious or humanist, took humanist very late and wished I'd taken it sooner) and I had the liberte, egalite, fraternite event pop up and didn't really think about the implications of the +8 global unrest for a few decades. Ended up swarmed in hundreds of thousands of Persian revolutionaries, I thought "okay cool guess I'll go republic" without thinking of the implications to losing all that sweet absolutism... and I wasn't in the disaster so I just ended up with a lovely constitutional republic instead of being the revolution target, for bonus points :v: Made the last couple wars take multiple extra wars from losing that admin efficiency.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Brunei->Malaya game done.

Appreciate Spicyfornia going ham on the Spanish colonies in the last century.

Got some achievements that I probably should already have.

Some minor highlights:

:frogout:

2nd great power Russia losing a war because they used the Imperialism CB and never took Stockholm...or alternatively, nerf Sweden :v:

This is what happens when you take Economic last, sure glad I'll have that in 1863.

God dammit Russia, Prussia. :sigh:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Azuren posted:

I started as Tabarestan and restarted repeatedly until I got lucky. I never had any luck either trying to become a vassal of QQ and getting my independence supported, or releasing Persia as a vassal (two strats I read about). When I was successful, my first move was to jump on QQ solo when they were losing a bad war against Trebizond + Georgia and took all my same culture/Shia provinces. Then I went after Shirvan and took the province of Shirvan + vassalized them, and fed them Gazimukh and vassalized Georgia and made them a march. I was dumb and enforced religion on them so I was dealing with their liberty desire forever. Next move I think was to hit Timmies and take all the provinces needed to form Persia, which I did around 1480? 1490? I think. Then I kept hitting Timmies to get the rest of my culture group, and took Iraq. I tried to keep the Ottos happy for as long as possible, never managed to land an alliance with them, only a royal marriage at one point. They went hostile after I got too much AE with them from eating Iraq, sometime in the early-mid 1500s I believe. I was still battling down my dumb vassals' dumb liberty desire in the 1500s when I actually fought an independence war for Georgia + Iraq supported by the Ottos, which sucked. Georgia had high LD, Iraq had previously had high LD and allied with Georgia, got Iraq back down to loyal, then Ottos supported Georgian independence, and Iraq (with 40-something LD) was the one who actually declared the independence war despite still being loyal, due to their alliance with Georgia- didn't know that could happen :v: After I'd beaten down the Ottos a few times and eaten what was left of the Mameluks, I went ham on India and China. Wanted to get nice pretty borders for That's A Silk Road and not have ugly tentacles to grab silk provinces.

Did you do this recently? The AI changes in 1.20 have made it a considerably harder IMO. Unless you restart enough times to randomly get a good enough siege general to siege down Tabriz quickly, QQ seems to just take out loans and throw 20 stacks of mercs at you over and over until you die even if you're bleeding them 2 or 3 losses to 1. They will entirely ignore the rebels destroying them in order to do this.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I hope Australaya is the default name.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Where can I see a ruler and heir's military stats without making them generals?

Also, on the surface of things manufactories seem like bad investments since you won't break even of the construction cost for many years and won't reap much reward anyway. Am I wrong? My most profitable manufactory (0.62/m) would take 69.5 years to break even of the 517 construction cost. I'm sure there are exceptions for high valued trade goods, but they seem to be useless most of the time.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 19, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

snoremac posted:

Also, on the surface of things manufactories seem like bad investments since you won't break even of the construction cost for many years and won't reap much reward anyway. Am I wrong?

Can't, gotta roll the dice.

Manufactories can be okay if you put them on a high value trade good, hopefully with production efficiency bonuses. Even so they will take some decades to pay for themselves, so you don't want to go crazy building them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

snoremac posted:

Also, on the surface of things manufactories seem like bad investments since you won't break even of the construction cost for many years and won't reap much reward anyway. Am I wrong? My most profitable manufactory (0.62/m) would take 69.5 years to break even of the 517 construction cost. I'm sure there are exceptions for high valued trade goods, but they seem to be useless most of the time.

Remember that +1 goods produced is huge, and the profit you see is only from production, not trade. Building them in downstream trade nodes will give a huge boost to trade value so it's often worth it to build them in the caribbean or spice islands if you can control the downstream nodes

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Oh drat, I didn't notice the "+1 local goods produced" on the description.

Rolling the dice on ruler/heir generals is odd. I guess the idea is that they need to be tested in the art of war to determine their true value. In my canon anyway.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Goddamn it. I just got a +3 skill diplo adviser at 50% off but automatically took "Morale of Navies" to mean it was a military adviser and shat out 270 ducats at 20 a month for some other guy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Basically naval stuff is always diplo; admirals, explorers, ship upgrades, naval morale, etc

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

snoremac posted:

Don't forget that manufactories are also a condition to spawn/grow an institution.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnoHito posted:

Don't forget that manufactories are also a condition to spawn/grow an institution.
For their cost and time to build I still wish they would do more, but I still spam them as I am able.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Manufactories always take my economy from "marginal" to "lol" within just a couple of decades. I love em.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

snoremac posted:

Value of manufactories also grows with technology. It's not a permanent .62/m, that will increase with the right ideas/tech/events/advisors etc...

An end game manufactory can easily make 6/m. I had a manufactory that made 6.66/m in one game. Hail satan.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Didn't the spreadsheet say it's worth it as long as the price of the good is 2.5 or higher and is not one of that get hosed by events? And that's ignoring the increase in value you get if it's in a downstream node.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I'm Bengal turned Hindustan, I have about 1100+ development, and I'm allied with Ottomans and France. I want to cancel my tributary status with Ming but they have a terrifying army 200+ regiments strong. Would they be likely to attack when I cancel my tributary status? Together we have a larger army but my allies are pretty far away. :ohdear:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Azuren posted:

But yeah like you said, super luck/restart dependent strat so would probably suck for MP.

Shahanshah/This Is Persia!/That's A Silk Road/Live Long And Prosper, the last one by accident :v:

One really dumb thing I did at the end- I was constantly battling separatist rebels because I was expanding so fast that my religious unity was dropping faster than I could convert (4 missionaries, no religious or humanist, took humanist very late and wished I'd taken it sooner) and I had the liberte, egalite, fraternite event pop up and didn't really think about the implications of the +8 global unrest for a few decades. Ended up swarmed in hundreds of thousands of Persian revolutionaries, I thought "okay cool guess I'll go republic" without thinking of the implications to losing all that sweet absolutism... and I wasn't in the disaster so I just ended up with a lovely constitutional republic instead of being the revolution target, for bonus points :v: Made the last couple wars take multiple extra wars from losing that admin efficiency.

Super jealous that you were able to get This Is Persia. I did Shahanshah back in 1.10 or something (whatever it was back in early 2015), and ended it before I started expanding into Greece because of a PLC-Russia alliance that really wanted to reach the Persian gulf for some reason. Got so mad I haven't tried it since.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This Is Persia! is my white whale because I always get hosed by the combo Russia + Ottomans beating down my doors.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Ah, sweet Catharsis.

For context all those save games prior to that one you see were wrecked by Ottomans.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2017

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

RabidWeasel posted:

Did you do this recently? The AI changes in 1.20 have made it a considerably harder IMO. Unless you restart enough times to randomly get a good enough siege general to siege down Tabriz quickly, QQ seems to just take out loans and throw 20 stacks of mercs at you over and over until you die even if you're bleeding them 2 or 3 losses to 1. They will entirely ignore the rebels destroying them in order to do this.

I did this in 1.21. It was definitely a pain in the rear end to get going. What you described happened to me multiple times, I'd try to develop a little bit + merc up over forcelimit and beeline for Tabriz, I'd win one or two Pyrrhic victories at best (if not straight up lose) but QQ would just regroup and keep throwing larger armies at me until I lost. I'm not sure what exactly happened that let me win when I got lucky- their first war was to attack Trebizond whom was guaranteed by Georgia, so they must have had some really lovely battles in the mountains. It was hidden by the fog of war so I couldn't see what was going on, I just jumped on them when they were losing. IIRC they were crippled after that, Ottos took a bite and Iraq popped out so QQ was reduced to only a couple provinces.

beefart posted:

Super jealous that you were able to get This Is Persia. I did Shahanshah back in 1.10 or something (whatever it was back in early 2015), and ended it before I started expanding into Greece because of a PLC-Russia alliance that really wanted to reach the Persian gulf for some reason. Got so mad I haven't tried it since.

The PLC evaporated early on in this game, Mazovia became Poland and Galicia-Volhynia became Lithuania (and ended up getting a coalition war declared against it somehow). Early on I allied Muscovy and we were friends for a while until they rivaled me, then later they changed their minds again and we went back to being allies. I don't think I was able to decisively beat the Ottos until the late 1500s when I'd called in Russia on favors. Ottos were the #1 GP with ~1100 dev, I think I was in third with ~900. I spent the 1500s trying to contain and slow them down, they ate the Levant and I allied what was left of the Mameluks but they were too strong, I'd grind down all my manpower and money in a bitter war to defend them and they'd settle for a couple provinces then a few months later the Turks would bounce off in the opposite direction and go try to conquer Austria. So I ate down into Arabia to get more dev, in retrospect I should've gone after India early, I kept out of there because I hadn't decided to go for the silk road achievement yet. Eventually I was big and strong enough to beat them in a straight up fight (IIRC it helped that they denied the Janissaries a reward before that first decisive war, bringing them down to 100% discipline while mine was really high, after that I usually had a discipline/morale/combat ability advantage, and they just had numbers. I had shitloads of money but not enough forcelimit to take advantage of it), after I'd already beaten them once or twice they allied France, so I allied a blobby Austria beforehand to call in on favors to use them as a speedbump :v:

I wished I had picked Quantity and Humanist earlier, but I don't know what I would've dropped to make room for them- I went Economic/Offensive/Quality/Innovative/Administrative/Quantity/Humanist. Quantity and Humanist were both so late that they didn't make a difference, I was in full absolutism/imperialism blobbing mode by then. Picked admin when I realized I was gonna go for silk road just for the coring cost and secondarily more available mercs.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

In other news, I'm a 200 dev Ditchmarschen in 1505, extending only to Westphalia, and the Mamluks just rivaled me :wtc:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azuren posted:

In other news, I'm a 200 dev Ditchmarschen in 1505, extending only to Westphalia, and the Mamluks just rivaled me :wtc:
Free Power Projection!

In my crazy Commonwealth game that I have been posting about, I just got up to +100 PP from taking Provinces from the Ottomans - I just eclipsed them, but it is 1705, so that means I will be getting +1 of each MP for the next ~90 years and by then I should be wrapping the game up!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've been trying out a few mods, what's the thread's opinion on Imperium Universalis and Common Universalis? I think they're pretty drat great and urge people to check them out if they want to try a different experience, though there are some issues like crashing and poorer performance and some unexplained mechanics.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just got to the age of Revolutions for the first time. I am at 90 Absolutism and 1 Stability - I have a "Revolution" disaster ticking. I dont see anything on it in the wiki outside of the normal Revolution disaster - looks like if I am over 70 Absolutism I need to have 3 stability or eventually I become the Revolution? Does anyone have any additional information or description of what is going on? If I tank my Absolutism to below 70 will the disaster stop ticking?

edit: I accidentally let the Disaster trigger - it was one stack of 55k rebels and they melted like a hot butter through knife. I lost three stability but otherwise it was a whimper of a disaster.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 20, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Any ideas why Portugal is on my side in a Russia imperialist war against me (Scandinavia)? We're not allies, Russia and Portugal aren't enemies or rivals or already at war, and Portugal isn't allied with my allies, who are co-belligerents anyway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Defender of the Faith?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Yep.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've been trying out a few mods, what's the thread's opinion on Imperium Universalis and Common Universalis? I think they're pretty drat great and urge people to check them out if they want to try a different experience, though there are some issues like crashing and poorer performance and some unexplained mechanics.

I've had some fun with Imperium Universalis but I think the AI really doesn't deal with some of the mechanics it has. It's just made by one dude though so I can't fault him on it really, it's pretty impressive.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

It looks like my last 100 years as Scandinavia are going to be defensive wars against Russia with 5-10 year interludes. They've declared 3 times already and it's been hard as hell just to eke out a white peace. I was lucky to have pumped money into fortresses just prior to this happening; they would've steamrolled me otherwise. It also helps that they can't get near my capital and I get the ticking warscore. The annoying thing is the Ottomans were eating away at them in the 17th century but suddenly became less powerful for unknown reasons while Russia is surging into India and wants to kill me in the West.

I made some new alliances with some big dogs and hope they piss off.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Europe what are you doing.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ottomans might have lost Janissaries, that hurts them a lot.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well this achievement just got a lot more tedious. :sigh:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you don't want to have a hellwar with the OE every game just for laughs you can :frogout:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How come my Continue Autosave button on the launcher doesn't work? I loaded up a converted save game once and its been stuck on the (nonexistent after I deleted it) Autosave for that forever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mantis42 posted:

How come my Continue Autosave button on the launcher doesn't work? I loaded up a converted save game once and its been stuck on the (nonexistent after I deleted it) Autosave for that forever.

The launcher continue button definitely doesn't seem to understand what "continue" means, mine has been stuck on an abortive Odoyev game since February despite the main menu continue button correctly recognizing every other game I have played since.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
For some reason the launcher can't use ironman games.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

When Portugal gets elected emperor during the league wars, and the "religious league" CB passes to you, Dithmarschen... :getin:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I finally decided to try playing this again after waiting a few years for new DLC, and while I am enjoying it more than I did originally, I also find that I'm still very, very new and learning valuable things.

Valuable thing one:
Do not annex enemy allies in a war, even if you have claims on their territory.

So apparently, this makes your "Aggressive expansion" go off the charts, and then next thing I knew, the entirety of the Holy Roman Empire (Except Brandenburg, broest of burgs) had declared war on me to "Cut me down to size".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

To do that and get away with it you need to declare war on them as a co-belligerent (tick their box in the declare screen). To see if coalitions will form, look at the bottom right of the peace settlement window for the coalition tracker.

• Locked thread